Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milan's Financials - An analysis
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Jack Sparrow
Hey guys...this is a brilliant article by a blogger.

I know R7 did a great job for us, but this article goes into greater detail and even comparing our split revenues with the top European clubs.

And it's really understandable even if you don't have much of a head for figures.

I have to say, my respect for Galliani and his team just went up 10 fold. Well to sum it up, I'll quote a line from the article that says, Milan's finances are more rosso than nero. sad.gif Not good. But not entirely hopeless.

Milan's age of austerity

ForzaMaldini
2 much 2 read! tongue.gif

Can you give a summery?
Jack Sparrow
Don't read it in one go then. biggrin.gif

Towards the end it gets interesting. But you would enjoy it. It links financial numbers with actual on-field issues and results. Very illuminating.

Anyway this is for the 2009-10 season financials that were published.

Rumours are there is some massive shaking up in the club. Wages have been slashed by 30% (explaining the Oddo, Rino, Pippo deals) while we're looking at even more commercial turnover. Pound for pound we're doing great...except for the wages which before this season stood at 172 million.

My take from all this:

- More primavera
- Our own stadium
amancik
An amazing read. Thanks Jack for posting.
vnata001
Second that. Excellent read. thanks a lot Jackie.

My take from all of this — primavera and new stadium — is the same as yours. However, as far as your great admiration for Galliani, I can't say several of us in the forum didn't see these problems forming even PRIOR to the 07 Champions League victory. As a matter of fact, the 07 CL victory hurt this team in many ways, because it made our management complacent.

The pressing NEED for champions league qualification while simultaneously keeping our finances within the UEFA sanctioned zone is exactly why this management should have had a little bit of foresight some 4 years ago. Several of us are upset about Gourcuff not getting playing time because of exactly this. It's not because we were convinced he was the next Zizou — it was because we knew very shortly we were going to need to replace Seedorf, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Maldini, Inzaghi all at once, and it was going to cost an arm and a leg. You can't just buy a bunch of new players all at once and expect the team to continue winning seamlessly. We had a chance to blood one or two youngsters in each season, slowly but surely, a la Ferguson style, and transition the team from one winning cycle into the next without spending on 5 players all at once and facing the potential problems a completely new team chemistry can bring, and the resulting daunting financial prospect — the same one we're facing now.

So I don't see Galliani as blameless, as it was his short-sightedness over the latter part of the 2000s that has seen us here in the first place...
Jack Sparrow
Exactly. That's the one area where he's screwed up. In that player wages were allowed to escalate disproportionate to the value they brought to the team.

But in the rest of it....man he's been really up against it but fighting hard and winning some tough battles for the club.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.