Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 2010/11 World transfer thread
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jack Sparrow
OFFICIAL: Barcelona Sign David Villa From Valencia

Reigning Spanish champions Barcelona have completed the transfer of prolific hitman David Villa from fellow La Liga outfit Valencia for a fee of €40 million, according to the Catalan club's official website.

The striker will sign a four-year deal at his new club, with an option for a fifth, upon the successful completion of a medical on Friday morning.

Long Time Coming

The Spanish international was continually being linked with a move away from Valencia in the past couple of weeks and a transfer only appeared to be a matter of time when Barcelona president Joan Laporta confirmed earlier this week that negotiations between Barcelona and Valencia were ongoing.

Both parties have now reached an agreement about the transfer of the highly rated attacker, as Valencia confirmed on their official website on Wednesday, and Villa will ply his trade at Barcelona next term.

Pedigree

Villa joined Valencia from Real Zaragoza in the summer of 2005 and has since developed into one of the best strikers around in the Primera Division. The 28-year-old has so far scored 109 league goals in 166 appearances.

Repercussions

The arrival of Villa could very well mean the end of Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the Catalan powerhouse. The former Inter star has failed to find his best form at Barcelona since joining the club last summer and has been linked with a move away from the Spanish champions more than once in the past couple of weeks.

On Form

Villa has been in superb form all season and currently sits sixth in the Castrol Rankings.

This season in La Liga Villa hit 21 goals in 31 starts and one substitute appearance. This, while being a far cry from his 28 in 33 the previous year, still renders him the fourth-highest goalscorer in Spain in 2009-10.

Furthermore Villa is a seasoned international, picking up 36 goals in 55 caps over the past five seasons. He is likely to overtake Raul as Spain's top goalscorer of all time in the coming years.

Thus much is expected of 'El Guaje' at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where he is coach Vicente del Bosque's preferred option to lead the forward line.

Villa is due to arrive on Barcelona on Thursday evening. He will doubtless be exposed to the local media before resting in anticipation of his Friday morning medical. Should all be well at this test his presentation will take place at Camp Nou at 13:30 local time.

Source:goal.com

So here's the first big transfer of the summer. Non-Milan related.
William405
40mill sounds much for 28yr old.
kurtsimonw
It makes me sick.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 19 2010, 10:55 AM) *
It makes me sick.

that signing alone doesn't make me sick, the fact they are now pursuing Fabregas is what's doing it for me
Jack Sparrow
Barca are like every footballer's favourite lay right now. Anyone would do anything to sign up. I actually think they've passed their apex and you're climbing on a train headed for a plateau.

But as a manager of an opposing team, if Barca throw serious money+players your way..and your own player is biting at the leash to be set free...there's not much you can do.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 19 2010, 05:32 PM) *
But as a manager of an opposing team, if Barca throw serious money+players your way..and your own player is biting at the leash to be set free...there's not much you can do.

Which isn't right at all, players have too much power in football. They sign a contract for their security then claim they're being treated like slaves when they don't get the move they want.

I hate to say it but the States are way in front of us on this. A free agent/trade market is the way to go, it gives more power to smaller teams and makes money far less relevant, even more so if you have a cap.
X-Offender
I don't think Barça need to sell Ibra. They could easily play with Messi and Villa on the wings and Ibra as centre forward.

Also, what's the point in signing Fabregas? They already have Xavi and Iniesta who are much better than him, unless they're opting for a Xavi-Fabregas-Iniesta midfield which would be suicide.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 19 2010, 02:54 PM) *
I don't think Barça need to sell Ibra. They could easily play with Messi and Villa on the wings and Ibra as centre forward.

Also, what's the point in signing Fabregas? They already have Xavi and Iniesta who are much better than him, unless they're opting for a Xavi-Fabregas-Iniesta midfield which would be suicide.

that front 6 would be overkill on acid
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 19 2010, 07:54 PM) *

Not in my opinion. They bought Villa to sell Ibra or to move him in the left ( wich I dont truly believe). They think Ibra is impotent in front of the goal (wich I dont agree). Pedro would be better than Ibro or Villa in the wing.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 19 2010, 06:54 PM) *

No, Villa will be the centre striker and no way a winger for them. That front three is never going to work, because:
QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ May 19 2010, 07:54 PM) *
Pedro would be better than Villa in the wing.
kurtsimonw
Bojan - Villa - Ibrahimovic - Messi

Iniesta - Fabregas - Xavi

Abidal - Puyol - Alves

Valdez

Attack!
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 19 2010, 09:16 PM) *
Bojan - Villa - Ibrahimovic - Messi

Iniesta - Fabregas - Xavi

Abidal - Puyol - Alves

Valdez

Attack!

Real Madrid champions!
William405
Fuckin scary!
Also this:
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumour...and-chelsea-out

Eden Hazard is also a young good winger,he'd be a sub at most,with this formation.
kurtsimonw
sha have signed Ben Foster for £6m.

Ouch, I'm almost embarassed for them.
X-Offender
QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ May 19 2010, 09:54 PM) *
Not in my opinion. They bought Villa to sell Ibra or to move him in the left ( wich I dont truly believe). They think Ibra is impotent in front of the goal (wich I dont agree). Pedro would be better than Ibro or Villa in the wing.

QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 19 2010, 10:01 PM) *
No, Villa will be the centre striker and no way a winger for them. That front three is never going to work, because:

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just don't think Pedro is worthy of being a regular starter at Barcelona. Perhaps they could sign Robinho or someone else for the wing.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ May 19 2010, 07:54 PM) *

No, Ibrahimovic is not going to play as (left) winger. Ibrahimovic is a typical CF, and very far from a winger. Villa might play as winger giving it a second thought, it would be typical FC Barcelona to do that.
Bluesummers
typical of them? What do you mean chu?
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ May 19 2010, 11:31 PM) *
typical of them? What do you mean chu?

They signed Arsenal's star striker and put him on the wing (okay, Henry did play as winger earlier in his career, but still), they sign Valencia's star striker and who knows he will play also on the wing...
servbot
Al Ahli have confirmed the signing of Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro on a two-year deal.

Cannavaro, 36, captained Italy to World Cup glory in 2006 and was named FIFA World Player of the Year, and he returned to Juventus last summer after a three-year stint with Real Madrid.

However, Juve decided against extending his contract after a disappointing season and, having failed to win a contract with hometown club Napoli, he has now opted to join defending UAE League champions Al Ahli.

"We announce that we have signed 2006 FIFA World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro for two years," Abdullah Al Nabooda, chairman of Al Ahli's board of directors, told the club's official website.

"This deal with a player like Cannavaro is one of the most important deals for us because he's a player with great experience and talent, while he's also a leader on the field as he led Italy to win the 2006 FIFA World Cup title."

Cannavaro says he is delighted to have the chance to finish his career in the Middle East.

"I'm happy to sign for Al Ahli," he said. "I always thought of moving to live in Dubai as I love it and I have achieved my dream by moving to Dubai and play for one of its big clubs like Al Ahli."

Cannavaro, who has 132 caps for his country, will lead Italy in South Africa this summer before retiring from international duty.

ESPN Soccernet

ohmy.gif
X-Offender
Nobody wanted him, poor fella had no choice. He's 36, and he's no Maldini.
kurtsimonw
The word 'whore' springs to mind.
CHU-LIP
If Cannavaro was our player he would have gotten an extension FOR SURE.

I think we all know the proof examples...
Fishdoll
Nah. Not even Favalli was compared unfavorably to an Ikea chair when defending this season.
servbot
And yet he's going to play in the World Cup....I'm scared.
Fishdoll
There's a reason Lippi's been experimenting - (experiment details courtesy of gazzetta dello sport) with a wonky hybrid defense of Zambrotta - Cannavaro - Bonucci - Chiellini. The thought is that Zambro, or whoever else goes out on the right, will move up more and there'll be 3 cbs on the back line.
Dracoris
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 2 2010, 02:48 PM) *
There's a reason Lippi's been experimenting - (experiment details courtesy of gazzetta dello sport) with a wonky hybrid defense of Zambrotta - Cannavaro - Bonucci - Chiellini. The thought is that Zambro, or whoever else goes out on the right, will move up more and there'll be 3 cbs on the back line.

So crazy, it just might work.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 2 2010, 02:48 PM) *

3-4-3?
3-5-2?
i like the 3-4-1-2 approach smile.gif

kurtsimonw
Football needs to go back to the 50s/60s and use the 2-3-5 formations again!
Habitant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 19 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Which isn't right at all, players have too much power in football. They sign a contract for their security then claim they're being treated like slaves when they don't get the move they want.

I hate to say it but the States are way in front of us on this. A free agent/trade market is the way to go, it gives more power to smaller teams and makes money far less relevant, even more so if you have a cap.

i would say a cap is necessary for that to work.

otherwise you get crazy inflated contracts as soon as a player is in demand
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (servbot @ Jun 2 2010, 07:46 PM) *
And yet he's going to play in the World Cup....I'm scared.

as starter... ohmy.gif
Fishdoll
CHU-LIP, your country's NT played a friendly today. It's going to be shown on tape delay tonight here. Should I watch? Who for the Oranje is looking good?
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 2 2010, 09:34 PM) *
CHU-LIP, your country's NT played a friendly today. It's going to be shown on tape delay tonight here. Should I watch? Who for the Oranje is looking good?

Adiyiah played 2nd half for Ghana... as wide forward, first on the left, then on the right side

Van der Vaart in 2nd half was awesome...
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 2 2010, 08:48 PM) *

Chiellini as LB? That would be a total waste.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 2 2010, 10:21 PM) *
Chiellini as LB? That would be a total waste.

Agreed. Azzurri's best CB by far, only world class defender they got...
Fishdoll
No url to link but Sky Sports News (UK version) is broadcasting a story that says Benitez is talking to the Scouse management about a 'departure strategy'. Looks like Rafa's moving on. Wonder if he'll end up on the wrong side of the Navigli.
X-Offender
He's going to Inter alright.
Dracoris
Personally I don't regard Benitez as a crazy-good coach, so this seems like it could work out for us...
Jack Sparrow
+1. I hate him. He destroyed what was a perfectly likeable club for me. I used to love to hate Man U. Now I actually prefer them to Rafapool.
Fishdoll
Old times.smile.gif

So, in today's corriere, inert director Gigi Oriali is quoted as saying that inert likes Benitez, now could it be otherwise, remember Istanbul? link

And a couple of hours later, there's a note on acmilan.com saying that nono, he'll remember Athens. Where Milan lifted the cup for the seventh time. link
X-Offender
Juventus are to sign Pepe from Udinese for 12m, Motta from Roma for 7m and buying Candreva entirely for about 7m. What a waste of money. I'd keep only Candreva.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 4 2010, 04:59 PM) *
Juventus are to sign Pepe from Udinese for 12m, Motta from Roma for 7m and buying Candreva entirely for about 7m. What a waste of money. I'd keep only Candreva.

Maybe they just dig Italians?
X-Offender
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 4 2010, 07:12 PM) *
Maybe they just dig Italians?

My point wasn't their nationality, rather the fact they're both crap players by Juve's standards.
Fishdoll
Yeah...why on earth would they want Pepe? He's...meh.

Candreva's pretty good tho.
X-Offender
And besides, why spend 12m on Pepe when you could sign Krasic with only 3m more. Unless they're planning to sign 'em both. Del Neri is going to play with his devoted 4-4-2 line-up, so they're going to need two side-midfielders.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 4 2010, 05:36 PM) *
My point wasn't their nationality, rather the fact they're both crap players by Juve's standards.

That's what I'm saying, they rather sign an Italian than a non-Italian who is better. I mean, what else could have been the reason?
Fishdoll
Perhaps they're just dumb, CHU-LIP?
X-Offender
Juventus signed Martinez from Catania today, for about 12m.

Funny, they were expecting Benitez, Ribery and Krasic but got Del Neri, Pepe and Martinez. If I was a Juve fan, I would be utterly disappointed.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 4 2010, 07:59 PM) *
Perhaps they're just dumb, CHU-LIP?

biggrin.gif

most likely true laugh.gif
Fishdoll
Tuttomercatoweb has run a piece saying that Maicon didn't renew the lease on his flat in Milan. Now maybe he's moving to a new flat somewhere else in town but maybe his new place is in, oh, say, Madrid.
Fillipo Simone
Think he's as good as gone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.