Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milan's Champion's League Profile
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > News Dump
il_diavolo_mtl
UEFA Champions League 2009 - AC Milan Profile
Time for the Rossoneri to regain their silverware?

Path to the Knockout Stages

Summary: Real Madrid felt the force of a Milan assault as the Rossoneri left the Bernabeu with a 3-2 win. That was the only high point of an otherwise routine and disappointing campaign.

Taking just one point from six against FC Zurich is seen as a nadir for Milan's European form of late, while failing to get past Marseille at San Siro is only slightly less ignominious. Still, a win on the opening day at the Velodrome set the stage nicely for a stumbling qualification.

Pts P W D L Sc Al
Real Madrid 13 6 4 1 1 15 7
Milan 9 6 2 3 1 8 7
Marseille 7 6 2 1 3 10 10
FC Zurich 4 6 1 1 4 5 14

(A)
(H)
(A) (H) (H) (A)
Won 2-1
Lost 1-0
Won 3-2
Drew 1-1
Drew 1-1
Drew 1-1

Season Synopsis

We have seen the good, the bad, and the downright ugly from Milan this season. Leonardo took charge in the summer, an appointment that promised a bright new dawn for the Rossoneri. However, an abysmal pre-season was followed up by some equally woeful results in the league and it seemed all was collapsing around them.

With Leonardo on the verge of the sack, he threw caution to the wind and employed a new, ultra-aggressive tactical system. A comeback victory over Roma in October seems to have been the turning point, and they remained unbeaten until last weekend.

Their excellent form over the last couple of months has also been down to Ronaldinho's resurgence. The Brazilian has enjoyed a renaissance this season, showing flashes of his very best form of a few years ago.

Equally crucial has been the form of Alessandro Nesta. The 33-year-old's performances have been nothing short of remarkable - the defender was reportedly on the verge of retiring due to injuries last season, but has been imperious alongside Thiago Silva this campaign.

Tactics

Tactical Approach: Labelled a '4-2-fantasia' by vice-president Adriano Galliani, Milan play with very offensive style. Marco Borriello tends to lead the line, with Ronaldinho and Alexandre Pato on either wing. As they throw numbers forward from the off, it's a risky strategy.

Coach: On taking the Milan job, Leonardo stated that he wanted to emulate the great Tele Santana in his tactical approach. It took some time to find the right formula, but the players understand their roles and many have praised him for the family spirit he has brought to the club.

Strengths & Weaknesses

Strengths

* Variety up front with flair, pace and power.
* Solid central defence, great at set pieces.
* Pirlo - with superb vision, he's the definitive playmaker.

Weaknesses

* Lack of pace in defence and midfield causes exposure.
* Defensive cover is of poor quality beyond.
* Dida - the Brazilian keeper is prone to gaffes.

Knockout Draw

AC Milan will face Manchester United in the first knockout round.

AC Milan
Stats Average
Man Utd
Goals Scored
Goals Conceded
Total Shots
Shots On Target
Yellow Cards
Red Cards
Fouls
Offsides
52.83%
Possession
56.40%

Word From The Editor

"Nobody will relish facing last year's losing finalists, with the possible exception of Milan. Although the Rossoneri are seen by some as a paper tiger these days, they're on a fine run of form of late, and their first eleven has sufficient class to test most European sides. Furthermore they have a mental edge of the Mancunians. To my mind they are underdogs, but thankful ones." --Ewan Macdonald, Goal.com International
MizNelson
Weaknesses

* Lack of pace in defence and midfield causes exposure.
* Defensive cover is of poor quality beyond.
* Dida - the Brazilian keeper is prone to gaffes.

And VDS isn't? How predictable.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Dec 20 2009, 08:39 PM) *
And VDS isn't? How predictable.

Prone, but not as prone as Dida. Sorry.
Bluesummers
I don't think the GK are going to determine the outcome of this game. If we can control Valencia, rooney and Scholes then we can win this game. Thats all there is to it. While man u have to control Ronaldinho, Pirlo and Borriello.
kurtsimonw
Scholes has been terrible of late, I don't think we need to worry about him too much.
il_diavolo_mtl
my fear was more the pace of valencia/nani/anderson...and the greatness of rooney
kurtsimonw
Nani won't be playing. He accused SAF of not managing him properly.
il_diavolo_mtl
fail...
you'd think he'd want to prove himself in the CL to generate interest from other teams, but i can see how go after your coach and sulking will resurrect his career. smile.gif
pacang

pace is what they have and what we're lacking (with exception to some.. Pato etc.)
they are going to use it to their full advantage..

and i don't think rooney will be playing alone.. they got a score to settle with us, so they'll field in their strongest firepower.. by that, i mean Berba is going to partner him..
Protagonist
The 4-2-fantasia would be a problem for us against United
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Protagonist @ Dec 22 2009, 08:50 AM) *
The 4-2-fantasia would be a problem for us against United

well i wouldn't think so as we would have a 4-2-1-3 against a 4-4-2. i honestly think if we maintain possession we have a great chance. Seedorf geets a goal here, he's wanted to go to the epl for a few seasons now so expect him to play them hard.
Dracoris
Hasnt Man U struggled defensively as of late? I think our 4-2-fantasia will be perfect against them.
Darunia
They have struggled because Evra is their only healthy defender (they've been playing Carrick as CB). By February Vidic and Ferdinand should be back.
kurtsimonw
Yeah, United have been all over the place.

Against Fulham they played a 3-5-2 with Fletcher - Carrick - De Laet as their defense. laugh.gif
Dracoris
Think they'll go in the market in Jan?
Jack Sparrow
I heard they're saving up big for a summer splash. And rumours are it also includes bringing in the successor to SAF as Asst. Manager. But this is probably hogwash.

Though in keeping with the current trend of Serie A coaches, I heard it might be Gasperini.
Bluesummers
or Rene Meulesteen might take the head role. Mourinho is also linked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.