FSV Mainz 05
Borussia Mönchengladbach
Hannover 96
VfL Bochum
SC Freiburg
1. FC Nürnberg

Reigning champions: Wolfsburg
LaPalma
New season is going to kick of this evening with Wolfsburg playing Stuttgart, which should be a good match.

It's going to be the first season since the reunification without any club from eastern Germany in the Bundesliga.
Plus, three seasons and three different champions. Can it be more exciting?
kurtsimonw
Which major clubs are from Eastern Germany?
Tennie
Fishdoll belatedly offers +1 cookie to Bochum for their game this past weekend which he just saw on telly.

At the half it was Bochum 0 - 3 Gladbach. Bochum got 3 in the second half -- FT 3-3.

Very entertaining game! 96.gif
Tennie
So I went to the post office this morning and missed the first few mins of the bundesliga games....turned on the telly and went ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

In the 13th min, the score was Hamburg 3 - 1 Dortmund. 4 goals in 12 minutes!?!?!? Gosh.
kurtsimonw
Thanks to the new ESPN channel I got to see the re-run of the Bayern-Bremen game today. Finished 1-1, very enjoyable and some real good football on show.
dst
I think the best football is played right here. More balanced than anywhere else and intriguing till the very end. Of course I enjoy Serie A more but if you asked me where do I think the best football is played I'd answer it's played right here.
Tennie
I think Fishdoll would agree with you, dst. And he's giving ESPN here a fins up for showing 2 Bundesliga games a week on their Spanish-language channel (so now we get 4).
LaPalma
Meh...I wanted to got to Gelsenkirchen today to watch the Schalke - Bochum game but I somehow picked up a leg injury and can barely walk dry.gif
Anyway, hope we can ruin Felix Magaths premiere in the "Veltins Arena".

Oh and, one of Germanys greatest players, Helmut Rahn, would have turned 80 today (he died in 2003). In his memory:

The winner he scored in the 1954 World Cup
RIP Helmut.
Tennie
Fishdoll ohno for LaPalma and +1 get-well-soon cookie to him!

Watching Gladbach-Hertha right now. Gladbach are looking really lively, especially given that they sold Marin over the summer.

Fingers crossed for the derby!
Tennie
Ow at the result of the derby: Schalke 3 - 0 Bochum. sad.gif

(LaPalma, Bochum's away kit makes Fishdoll's eyes bleed.)
Tennie
So, I just watched a really good game. Newly promoted Mainz beat Bayern 2-1.smile.gif Mainz keeper Muller put in a man of the match performance. Amazing stuff.
Fillipo Simone
More amazing is that Müller is Mainz 2nd keeper. I was also impressed by Thomas Müller of Bayern,..hey, he showed more potential in this one match then Ottl or Kroos in a few I saw.

Gee, I hope Bayern returns to a normal soon.
LaPalma
Just found this brillant pic of 70s legend Günter Netzer:

The expression on his face...priceless.

On a more serious note, Bayern seem to be interested in Madrids Arjen Robben. Though it'd be great to see him playing Wolfsburg on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to that match.
And the two Müllers were both great, although I'm glad Heinz won it, though I always have to laugh when I hear his name. It couldn't be more German biggrin.gif
Tennie
So, Leverkusen's Arne Friedrich has scored twice in the first half today. Unfortunately for him, one of them was an own goal. HT Leverkusen 1-1 Bochum.

Bayern play Wolfsburg in today's late game in Germany.
LaPalma
FT 2:1 for Leverkusen dry.gif Meh....but they deserved to win....so....
Also, I have to correct fishdoll. It was Manuel Friedrich who scored twice. Arne Friedrich plays for Berlin.

This evenings game is going to be fantastic. Probably the two best teams in the Bundesliga these days. It's said that Robben is going to start for Bayern. But my tip is a Wolfsburg win. The magic triangle of Dzeko, Grafite and Misimovic is too much for Bayerns defense.
Tennie
Fishdoll oops and sorries to Berlin's Arne, then.

If Wolfsburg do win, LaPalma, how much longer do you think Van Gaal will remain at Bayern? They're not exactly looking sparkly this season so far.
LaPalma
Bayern taking the lead. 1-0, Gomez. dry.gif
Van Gaal himself seem to have spoken about retiring if they're not stepping up. He seems to be really p!ssed.
Two surprises in Bayerns line up. One smaller one, Robben is on the bench. And a big one, Rensing is on the bench again and Butt between the posts. Oh my dear, Bayerns goalies are even worse than Milans.
kurtsimonw
Is Butt the guy that used to take the penalties? Can't remember who for, Dortmund maybe?
kurtsimonw
Bayern won 3-0, Robben scored 2. ohmy.gif
Tennie
So I watched Wolfsburg-Leverkusen this morning. Great game, ended 2-3. Some really good play unfortunately hampered by an insane referee who gave 2 unnecessary reds and a bunch of silly yellows (the penalty calls, however, were good). Really exciting down to the last minute!

Fishdoll thinks more people should watch Bundesliga games!
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 29 2009, 06:25 PM) *
Is Butt the guy that used to take the penalties? Can't remember who for, Dortmund maybe?

Yep, for HSV and Leverkusen.

And Thomas Müller really does continue to impress me smile.gif
LaPalma
Here's a great read about VfL Bochum tennie provided me with:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...ope&cc=5901
kurtsimonw
That was a very interesting read "The Unrelegatables" biggrin.gif. Thanks Tennie/LaPalma.
Tennie
So I'm watching the Bundesliga this morning and, well, Leverkusen are having their way with Nuremburg. It's 4-0 so far and could pretty easily be 7-0. Totally dominant performance and at this point, the kids are being subbed on. Fishdoll is pleased.
LaPalma
And Bochum got a point against reigning champions Wolfsburg. Great match that was. We took the lead after 60 minutes or so, but Ono was sent off minutes later. Wolfsburg eventually equalized but didn't manage to the score the winner despite the refs desperate attempts to help them (sent our coach to the stands and I almost lost my voice...).
Like I said, a great and very intensive match. Our team fought well and deserved the point.
Tennie
Well done to Bochum for that draw!

Also of note, Bayern drew too at home: Bayern 0-0 Koln.
dst
You gotta feel bad for the guy... 2 cheap goals in 86 seconds
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (dst @ Oct 12 2009, 02:53 AM) *
You gotta feel bad for the guy... 2 cheap goals in 86 seconds

haha my coach would have his head, when a goalie leaves his box he better make sure to get back soon, that was pathetic, i would honestly look into him being bribed
kurtsimonw
I think that's more unlukcky than anything. He did the right thing in clearing the ball and he got quite a bit of distance on both. The fault is for a player not covering if anything, when he headers both away, why does the last defender pretty much stand there? You gotta watch the goal, especially when the keepers just done your job for you. That is awful defending, I'd transfer list them all immediately.
dst
You're right, both goals could have been easily saved by the last defender... I think it was the same guy too (?).
Tennie
I'm on dialup so haven't looked at the clip but will hazard a guess that it's the Hertha goalkeeper? The guy had been subbed on moments before because the starting keeper picked up an injury. That doesn't excuse the painful defending though. That really was pretty dire.

The sad thing is that Hertha is one of Germany's Europa League teams this year.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 12 2009, 12:54 PM) *
I'm on dialup so haven't looked at the clip but will hazard a guess that it's the Hertha goalkeeper? The guy had been subbed on moments before because the starting keeper picked up an injury. That doesn't excuse the painful defending though. That really was pretty dire.

it's not a sad thing, i hope Genoa Trample them, sadly i really wanted them to trample Valencia, a very difficult task, yes, but that would have set them up and i don't think there is many better teams in the europa cup running. Gasperini is absolutely sublime!!!! smile.gif

kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 12 2009, 05:54 PM) *

I quite like Hertha to be honest, Hamburg too. What the hell is wrong with me?
Tennie
Liking Hamburg is okay. smile.gif They have lost Petric for a while though (knee injury in the same game where the Hertha keeper and defense were...not really on the job).

Bayern have lost Olic too, for six weeks. He was hurt on international duty.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 12 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Liking Hamburg is okay. smile.gif They have lost Petric for a while though (knee injury in the same game where the Hertha keeper and defense were...not really on the job).

Bayern have lost Olic too, for six weeks. He was hurt on international duty.

it's a shame because we could really use those two players on the NT sad.gif
Tennie
Fishdoll gosh. Hamburg lost to Gladbach today. That one's a bit of a shock.

So if Leverkusen win their game against Schalke, they'll be alone in first.
Tennie
So, Leverkusen stay on top in the Bundesliga this week. They spanked Frankfurt, 4-0, yesterday.

Today, Bayern and Schalke drew, 1-1. It was a rather mean-spirited game with nasty fouls, almost fights, etc.
Jack Sparrow
Good write up from goal.com on the Bundesliga. I especially liked the analysis on Lahm's comments.

Teutonic Tuesday: Lahm Lambasts Bayern Board, Leverkusen Leap Into Lead

A week ago, I mentioned just how similar the 2009-10 season is compared to last year. Just as was the case in 2008-09, the point spread was shockingly narrow and Hamburg, Leverkusen, Schalke and Bremen had missed out on good chances to go clear of their rivals. Once again, there were questions of whether or not there was a team good enough to come out as clear leaders.

But this week, Leverkusen must not have gotten their script, because their 4-0 win over Frankfurt was enough to send them at least three points clear of their faltering rivals. Last season, we had to wait until nearly May for Wolfsburg to assume the role of dominant leaders (and even then, Stuttgart beat the eventual champions 4-1), but 2009-10 could be an altogether different scenario. Despite injuries to key figures Simon Rolfes and Renato Augusto, Juup Heynckes’ men have dealt well with their rivals and have yet to slip up against lower-table teams. Leverkusen have the league’s best defence, the second-best offence and remain the only undefeated side in Germany.

Since Heynckes’ appointment as head coach, Leverkusen have gone from an assembly of raw talent to a group of mature, refined players that can now, truly, be called a team. Rather than using three attacking midfielders, Heynckes has had Arturo Vidal drop deeper to help anchor the midfield with Simon Rolfes, a tactical tweak that has had a fourfold benefit: 1) Vidal is more at home in a deeper role 2) Rolfes is no longer stuck in position and can move forward to score and assist goals 3) Tranquillo Barnetta and Augusto/Toni Kroos have a bit more freedom as full-fledged attackers and most importantly 4) the defence has a greatly increased buffer zone in midfield.

With Rolfes, Patrick Helmes and Michal Kadlec approaching returns from injury (and Augusto likely to be available by January), it’s hard to see Leverkusen becoming anything but better in the upcoming months. Then again, they’ve earned the nickname 'Neverkusen' for a reason…

After Leverkusen, the only other candidates for serious title challengers appear to be Werder Bremen, although die Gruen Weissen have serious obstacles ahead. I’ll count them as the team with best odds of ousting Leverkusen because Schalke have only managed draws against their toughest foes and Hamburg seem lost without Mladen Petric and Jose Paolo Guerrero. It is, of course, far too early to call: the real test of Werder’s mettle comes in their next five matches, which include encounters with Wolfsburg, Schalke and Hamburg.

Finally, I’d like to follow-up on an article I wrote two weeks ago regarding Bayern’s prolonged spell of underachievement. Therein, I suggested that Bayern’s players (and not coach Louis van Gaal) should be held accountable for their poor performance. Accordingly, I applaud Mark van Bommel for comments he made after Bayern’s 2-0 home loss to Bordeaux last Tuesday: “I should have been there for the first goal - it was my fault,” he said. Right you are, Mark, and right you are to admit fault. Now, if only you could avoid these mistakes in the future…

But there’s more drama from FC Hollywood. I’ll more or less ignore Luca Toni’s premature exit from the Allianz Arena during Saturday’s match with Schalke and move right on to the kind of stuff that Gossip Girl episodes are made of: Philipp Lahm’s scandalous interview with Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

Lahm raised a really valid point: that Bayern’s lack of a consistent footballing philosophy has caused the once brilliant German side to become mediocre at best. Here’s what he had to say:

“If you want to compete with Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester United, then Bayern needs a playing philosophy. That has to be the goal of the club… Clubs like Manchester or Barcelona have a system and then you buy personnel for the system. You bring specific players and then you have a team. Something like that doesn't exist here.”

It’s true: Barca have played 4-3-3 for years, and look what it’s gotten them: two Champions League titles in four years. I wouldn’t be surprised if every Barca team down to the U-10’s uses the same set-up. The primary advantage of having a long standing philosophy is that all players understand what is expected of them, their team-mates and what they must do individually and collectively to win. Most simply put, Barca’s players know the system through and through. Bayern’s look around, shrug, make a wish and pass to Franck Ribery or Arjen Robben.

But the point of having a well-known system goes beyond creativity. When you compare Bayern’s set-up to that of the 2008-09 Manchester United, the differences are amazing: whereas United were extremely well organised and difficult to score against, Bayern’s defence has been notoriously leaky in recent years. It’s taken a turn for the better since the days of Juergen Klinsmann, but is still lacking, especially from set plays and counter-attacks, as we saw in the Bordeaux and Schalke matches.

Lahm was not done yet though:

"The club has to say, when a new coach comes, this is how we play ... We have many players that have no position now in a 4-3-3 system that our coach would like to use, for example our strikers. We have really good forwards but if you play 4-3-3, two or three of them are always on the bench…If you buy Mario Gomez, then you have to say, OK, we play with two strikers. We played the entire pre-season with two strikers. And then suddenly, we get (Arjen) Robben, a great player who fits with us - and who prefers the 4-3-3 system. You can't simply buy players because they are good."

“You can’t buy players because they are good.” Simple, but profound. Unlike many pundits, I actually think that Bayern includes a massive wealth of talent. However, Lahm is absolutely correct: the current team has been assembled from a number of individuals who were deemed “good,” but did not necessarily fit into any game plan. That was precisely how Bayern paid a record price for an unneeded Mario Gomez: the board deemed him a very good player, and it didn’t particularly matter that Bayern already had Miro Klose, Luca Toni and Ivica Olic as available centre forwards. It didn’t even matter that the new coach, Louis van Gaal, favours the 4-3-3 system in which only one of the above could play at a time. But Gomez was signed, and the others retained. It would have been easy to offload at least one striker in order to raise funds to force a swap for another top-class fullback, but the ever-stubborn Bayern board decided that if Jose Bosingwa was off the table, it would be best to recruit a one-footed central defender with no offensive prowess (Edson Braafheid) to become the new Bayern left-back. As many anti-romantics say, never commit yourself to one person if you can avoid it.

Lahm has since been fined an estimated (and unprecedented) €50,000 for telling the truth, but gets the last laugh: the fact that Bayern cannot afford to suspend him is a testament to just how right he is. One day, he’ll make a great coach…or general manager.

Bundesliga/Serie A Coefficient Watch: Round 4

Once again, the Italians won, but at least it was by a closer margin than in Round 3. On average, German teams improved upon their previous performances, earning three wins, two draws and just one defeat.

Wolfsburg were 3-0 winners away to in-form Besiktas, and now are on the verge of qualifying for the knockout stage. In contrast with the home leg, Wolfsburg struck early thanks to a 27-yard blast from Zvjezdan Misimovic, and the home side had no choice but to chase the game. Wolfsburg stuck to their game plan and struck twice on the break to secure three points.

Unlike their Bundesliga rivals, Bayern have all but failed to advance. The Bavarian ex-giants again lost to Bordeaux—this time at home—and featured an offense with all the sharpness of a butter knife. Not only must Bayern win their next two fixtures (including a match away to Juventus), but they depend on Bordeaux to hold Juventus to a point or less in order to slip into second place. The situation is dire: a look at this season’s coefficients indicates that there are 44 teams with better European records than Bayern, and that only Hertha Berlin have been worse as Bundesliga representatives/

Elsewhere, Stuttgart avoided defeat to Sevilla and were arguably the better side in Andalusia, but took just a point after falling behind early. In Europa League play, Hamburg drew with Celtic, but Hertha and Bremen beat Heerenveen and Austria Wein thanks to late heroics.

Bundesliga fans will remain disappointed, however, because Serie A remains Europe’s most successful league thanks to impressive results from Inter, Fiorentina, Juventus, Genoa and Roma. Click here for the latest coefficients.

Goal of the Week: Toni Kroos, Leverkusen 3-0 Frankfurt

Is this déjà vu? Didn’t we see the same goal a week ago? Click here to see the German U-21 international smack home a cracking effort. Take note of its “frozen rope” trajectory and precise accuracy. The Bayern loanee has really come on strong as of late, and due to Renato Augusto’s knee operation, will have at least until January to convince Juup Heynckes that he deserves a starting role somewhere in midfield. If and when he returns to Munich, maybe he won’t be stuck on the bench after all…

Most Predictable Match of the Week: Bayern 1-1 Schalke

Predictable because:
-It ended in a low-scoring draw.
-Schalke came back again.
-Bayern caved under mild pressure and failed to capitalise on their huge possessional advantage.
-18-year old Joel Matip scored in his Bundesliga debut, providing further evidence that Felix Magath is a genius.
-Central defender Daniel van Buyten was Bayern’s only attacking threat.

[n]Match of the Week: Hoffenheim 1-2 Wolfsburg[/b]

In many ways, a game of two halves. Ralf Rangnick took the right approach by using two holding midfielders, effectively eliminating Zvjezdan Misimovic in the first half. His team used its superior width and laid siege to the Wolfsburg goal, earning a 1-0 advantage at the half thanks to Vedad Ibisevic. Everything changed after the break. Misimovic equalized from a cross in the 52nd minute, and Grafite gave his team the lead five minutes later. A goal down, Rangnick was forced to withdraw defensive midfielder Isaac Vorsah in favour of Demba Ba, at which time Misimovic became much more free to ply his trade. The Wolfsburg machine was in full gear, and for all their efforts, Hoffe were ultimately powerless to stop it.

Clark Whitney, Goal.com
Tennie
That was an interesting read, Jack. Thanks for posting. Really, folks, if you haven't seen any Bundesliga games, you should try to do so. It's quite good football (except for Bayern this season who are just sad).
kurtsimonw
I saw Bayerns game last week, where Butt had a bit of a mare. I always thought he was a decent keeper, but whenever I see him he seems to make mistakes.
Tennie
He's better than Rensing, who started the season as the #1 keeper but who made even more mistakes. Rensing was supposed to be Oliver Kahn's heir -- but things aren't turning out that way.
Bluesummers
BREAKING NEWS: Germany Goalkeeper Robert Enke Dies Aged 32

f*ck sakes! He is one of the world's best too!! This is a sad day for Germany sad.gif
Tennie
http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesl...ke-ist-tot.html

That's the notice on one of the big German football mag websites.

Such a tragedy. sad.gif

Bluesummers
they say its suicide sad.gif sad.gif

Germany and Hannover goalkeeper Robert Enke has died at the age of 32.

Hannover 96 president Martin Kind announced the death of the former Barcelona stopper on Tuesday afternoon, according to the agency dpa.

Nothing has yet been confirmed about the cause of death, but German source Morgenpost Online, early signs point towards suicide.

The website quotes a spokesperson from the Hannover police as saying, "Enke has thrown himself under a train at Neustadt am Rübenberge."

The incident is said to have taken place in the small town of Neustadt at around 18:25 local time. There has yet been no formal verdict of suicide, but police will give a press conference at 21:00 with more details.
Tennie
THe link I posted above elaborates on what Blue posted (presumably from goal). They're saying it isn't football related - but that Enke had had a particularly turbulent private life recently (ie, divorce) and they're speculating that that's what led him to it. At least that's my reading of the original but my German is not fluent.

EDIT: I just reread it and no, my German is definitely not fluent. I don't think it's divorce but there's been family tragedy recently (the death of a small child), etc.

EDIT2: here's a link to the article on the Bundesliga's website: http://www.bundesliga.de/de/liga/news/2008...6.php&fla=1
Darunia
German and world football is in shock after Hannover 96 captain Robert Enke died in an apparent suicide.

The 32-year-old was hit by a train at a level crossing north-west of Hannover. He had been expected to take part in the 2010 World Cup as first choice goalkeeper.

"The German team has learned of the death of Robert Enke with great shock,” read a statement released by the German football federation.

Coach Joachim Loew and manager Oliver Bierhoff added they were “speechless.”

"The victim is apparently national team goalkeeper Robert Enke from Hannover 96. The first police indications are that it was a suicide," announced the police.

He had eight caps for Germany and had played for clubs Jena, Borussia Moenchengladbach, Benfica, Barcelona, Fenerbahce and Tenerife.

Enke returned to Germany with Hannover in 2004 and his contract was set to expire at the end of the season.

Following Jens Lehmann’s retirement, the 32-year-old was likely to be first choice goalkeeper for Germany at the World Cup.

He was not in the squad for Saturday’s friendly with Chile, as he had been suffering from a virus and only just returned to action with his club.

Enke leaves wife Teresa and an eight-month-old daughter the family adopted in May. They had a daughter, Lara, who died in 2006 of a rare heart condition at the age of two.

- footballitalia

very sad =(
kurtsimonw
What the.. blink.gif

Christ, what a horrible thing to happen, RIP.
Zed.D
RIP.

I had no idea he was supposed to be Germany's first choice 'keeper in the World Cup. what a shame.
LaPalma
What a horrible thing to happen. I've just seen the press conference with his wife and his psychologist. He suffered from heavy depressions since 2003. And he didn't want to go public since he was afraid that he could lose the right of custody for his adopted daughter.

R.I.P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.