Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calcio Debate: We Should All Support Michel Platini - He Could Save Football
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Zed.D
Calcio Debate: We Should All Support Michel Platini - He Could Save Football

UEFA president Michel Platini has received a bad press due to many of his plans to reform the game. Carlo Garganese believes that the France and Juventus legend should be supported as he attempts to 'save' football…

In the 1970s it was flares, sideburns and John Travolta, in the 80s it was frizzy hair, lycra mini-skirts and Madonna, while in the 90s it was body piercings, tattoos and The Spice Girls. In the latter part of the noughties, it seems to be extremely fashionable to slag off Michel Platini.

And just why, may I ask? Could it be because the Frenchman is seemingly doing everything in his power to save football from self-destruction, reforms that are a threat to certain groups within the footballing world, most specifically the money-men of the game?

The bad press about Platini originated in England, where there was a smear campaign to paint the 54-year-old as this bitter ‘anti-English’ hater, who could not stand to see the Premier League dominate Europe, and would do anything in his power to end this supremacy.

Of course it was utter drivel, as has been proven by Platini’s scolding of Real Madrid’s “vulgar” summer spending spree that has seen them splash more than €200m and counting.

Ignore what much of the media says, Platini is not ‘anti-English’, he is not ‘anti-Madrid’, and he is not ‘delusional’ – Michel Platini simply wants what is best for football. He is a purist who is trying to defend the traditions of the game, and unfortunately much of what is wrong is in the Premier League.

Is it right that some clubs can be close to a billion pounds in debt, yet are still allowed to spend tens, even hundreds of millions on transfers? Hence the reason why Platini is attempting to implement new financial rules in 2012 whereby teams will only be permitted to buy players with their own resources, without any external aid. The argument is not about whether this will help smaller clubs, it is that what many big teams are currently doing is immoral.

Is it right that some top clubs can field a first XI where only one or two, sometimes none, of their players are home-grown? The three-times champions of Italy with only two 18-year-old Italians vying for a starting place, an Arsenal team who often don’t play a single Englishman, a Liverpool outfit who can count on just Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher (and now Glen Johnson), a Chelsea XI with often just John Terry, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard, the captain who could soon leave.

This is where 6+5 was born. There is no soul in football when a London team doesn’t possess even a single Englishman, let alone a Londoner. Where there is not a single Englishman managing a top EPL squad (a different, if not related argument). Where the most famous club in the world, Real Madrid, would rather open their wallet for expensive foreigners than for Spaniards, while offloading talented youth-team players like Juan Mata.

Granted, this is a global game, but there surely has to be some relation between fans and players. What happened to the local lad who graduated up through the youth ranks, became captain of his hometown, scored the winner in the cup final, and spent his entire career as a one-club man? Six-plus-five would help bring back some of these special sensations.

And what about the poaching of minors – a practice described by Platini as “child-trafficking"? Is it fair that a small provincial club like Reggina or Lecce spend seven years nurturing a local wonderkid from the ages of 8-15, only to then see him stolen for an insulting compensation fee by a club who throw a sack of money in front of the boy, offering him and his family a ‘better future’? Is it ‘just’ on the Reggina’s and Lecce’s of this world, and similar clubs who are struggling to survive?

To come back full circle to the issue of money, Platini is against excessive wages, planning to introduce a salary cap. This would ensure more loyalty in the game, certainly at the elite end. When John Terry, ‘Mr Chelsea’, is considering a move to a club like Manchester City, you realise just how desperate things have become in football, and just how badly money is damaging the game. It is pure greed if Terry accepts the offer (or demands a pay-rise in order to stay), and it will be a real hammer-blow. With a salary cap, this would all be preventable.

Unfortunately what Platini wants to do, and what will eventually happen, are two entirely different things. So far we haven’t seen any major changes, but this is purely due to obstacles put in his way. The corporate money-men will do everything in their power to stop Platini’s reforms.

It is time that football fans around the world started supporting Platini. Believe me, what he is trying to do is for the good of our beautiful game.

Carlo Garganese, Goal.com

I personally am in support of Platini and his plans. hope he succeeds!
kurtsimonw
I will never be in support of Platini. Not anti-English? I think that's a ridiculous statement. Madrid, Barca, Inter, tonnes of other clubs have been spending stupid money throughout his whole reign at UEFA.. but the second Man City become impossibly rich and threaten to buy everyone, he starts saying he'll put a stop to it? Why not before?

Another thing he seems to be forgetting is these rules will pretty much put Man City at the top end of football right away, it'll make them even stronger. They have no debt, their owners don't need to loan, they have ridiculous sums of money. What's to stop them buying Terry and the rest of Englands top players anyway? They'll still be able to sign top foreign stars as well. It'll just play into their hands more than anything.

I think the article makes a big mistake in claiming not being anti-English, then criticises English clubs. How many Italians do Milan and Inter field? I see no mention of that in the article, just Englands clubs. Villa and Everton regularly finish high, they are also amongst the most succesful clubs in the countries history, why no mention of the 7/8 English players they field every week? Why no mention of United, who field plenty of English/British players every week and win the league every single year?

Pathetic. **** Platini, **** UEFA.
Zed.D
How many Italians do Milan and Inter field? I see no mention of that in the article, just Englands clubs.

Did you even read the article? unsure.gif
Zed.D
As for Milan, we did use Italian players on a regular basis, and if it wasn't for Borriello, Gattuso and Abbiati's injuries we would have fielded even more Italians. Juve have always had a lot of Italian starters. the EPL is definitely another case as it's filled with foreigners, much more than Serie A and La Liga. so the article's point is not that invalid.
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 20 2009, 05:23 PM) *
I will never be in support of Platini. Not anti-English? I think that's a ridiculous statement. Madrid, Barca, Inter, tonnes of other clubs have been spending stupid money throughout his whole reign at UEFA.. but the second Man City become impossibly rich and threaten to buy everyone, he starts saying he'll put a stop to it? Why not before?

Another thing he seems to be forgetting is these rules will pretty much put Man City at the top end of football right away, it'll make them even stronger. They have no debt, their owners don't need to loan, they have ridiculous sums of money. What's to stop them buying Terry and the rest of Englands top players anyway? They'll still be able to sign top foreign stars as well. It'll just play into their hands more than anything.

I think the article makes a big mistake in claiming not being anti-English, then criticises English clubs. How many Italians do Milan and Inter field? I see no mention of that in the article, just Englands clubs. Villa and Everton regularly finish high, they are also amongst the most succesful clubs in the countries history, why no mention of the 7/8 English players they field every week? Why no mention of United, who field plenty of English/British players every week and win the league every single year?

Pathetic. **** Platini, **** UEFA.

Did you have a really bad day?
I often stated that I'm a supporter of Platinis plans. Something has to happen if football shall be saved from itself.
Milan Are Brilliant
People are only in support of this as it doesn't really affect Milan. If we could at first attract and then spend £80m on a player like CR7 and Platini was attempting to stop us it would be a completely different story.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Kaka Is Brilliant @ Jul 20 2009, 11:11 PM) *
People are only in support of this as it doesn't really affect Milan. If we could at first attract and then spend £80m on a player like CR7 and Platini was attempting to stop us it would be a completely different story.

Actually it depends on who those people are. because I'd like my club to be more like Barca than Real. seeing youth players graduate to world class ones would be much more exciting for me than what's happening in Real. and there's no doubt which of these two clubs are run healthier. I'm a Madrid fan but I admit Barca's way is what the rest of clubs should follow.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jul 20 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Did you even read the article? unsure.gif

I did miss that bit. Partly because it doesn't state the name 'Inter', partly because it's terribly written. Inter aren't 3-times champions of Italy. Last time I checked they were well into their teens in terms of titles.

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jul 20 2009, 05:00 PM) *
As for Milan, we did use Italian players on a regular basis, and if it wasn't for Borriello, Gattuso and Abbiati's injuries we would have fielded even more Italians. Juve have always had a lot of Italian starters. the EPL is definitely another case as it's filled with foreigners, much more than Serie A and La Liga. so the article's point is not that invalid.

So? That's in the past. Liverpool are mentioned in the article. What about just a few years ago when they literally had a team full of English players? James, Carragher, McManaman, Redknapp, Owen, Heskey, Fowler, etc. United have dominated football with maybe not a team full of English players, but British.

QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jul 20 2009, 05:11 PM) *
I often stated that I'm a supporter of Platinis plans. Something has to happen if football shall be saved from itself.

Then that's your opinion.

Save football? These rules will just mean the top clubs buy all the best domestic players instead of the best players in the World. It'll make average teams become worse and the worse teams will be screwed.

It's all well and good if you're the supporter of top clubs, it makes no difference. But if you aren't a supporter of a CL team, you can pretty much wave goodbye to your team ever winning anything ever again. I have to laugh at how many people criticise Sky for their top 4 obsession, yet these same people still only talk about the top clubs in World football. People are ignorant to think that this will make it better for any other clubs in World football, besides the already succesful ones.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jul 20 2009, 12:00 PM) *
As for Milan, we did use Italian players on a regular basis, and if it wasn't for Borriello, Gattuso and Abbiati's injuries we would have fielded even more Italians.

You forgot Nesta smile.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 20 2009, 02:26 PM) *
It's all well and good if you're the supporter of top clubs, it makes no difference. But if you aren't a supporter of a CL team, you can pretty much wave goodbye to your team ever winning anything ever again. I have to laugh at how many people criticise Sky for their top 4 obsession, yet these same people still only talk about the top clubs in World football. People are ignorant to think that this will make it better for any other clubs in World football, besides the already succesful ones.

+1 sad reality. Smaller clubs right now are becoming bigger because of these stupid price influcuations. But what that also means is that the scale between Milan and Napoli or Manunited and Everton will slowly come to equilibrium. But the other problem to that is those clubs who do spend will become richer, they will get the majority of the supporters, the best tv rights and will ultimately grow from the rest. What will happen is there will be 2-5 top clubs instead of 12-16 we have now.

Do you want 2-5 worldclass clubs and everyone else is around the same level? Or do you want 16 top class clubs while everyone else is sh!t.

take your pick.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jul 20 2009, 08:50 PM) *
Actually it depends on who those people are. because I'd like my club to be more like Barca than Real. seeing youth players graduate to world class ones would be much more exciting for me than what's happening in Real. and there's no doubt which of these two clubs are run healthier. I'm a Madrid fan but I admit Barca's way is what the rest of clubs should follow.

True. If you don't have the talent coming through but have the money to spend on the best, then there's only really one way you are going to go though, if you want the club to be bidding to be succesful.
Jack Sparrow
I think kurt's point is moot, since Platini's rules basically ensure that you can only spend what you earn. So this means Man City's owners can't help out much, because unless they can show proof that his money is coming in from their earnings, they can't use it to buy players.

Perhaps the owner's money might be allowed to invest in other areas like stadiums, academies, other facilities etc.
kurtsimonw
Spending what you earn is even worse!

I don't think Villa have made a profit during my lifetime, teams with small fan bases like Wigan, Fulham and Blackburn are basically screwed. While teams like United who probably make as much as all the other teams in the EPL added together will just win the league every single year without competition.

So it basically brings up my point as before. It's great if you're a big name and have the previous reputation to sell tickets, shirts and have CL revenue, but if you're not one of these teams, you're fucked.

Reading that article still makes me laugh, talking about player loyalty and 'one-club men' and actually talking about John Terry. Last time I checked Terry is still a Chelsea player. It's Platini who left France for the big money of Juventus, hypocrit.
LaPalma
Wher exactly did Platini say anything about Terry? I can't see any quote on this.
Plus, what can be much worse than the current situation? What you describe, that the gap between the big and the "not so big" teams further widens....it's already there. Realistically there are only a handfull of clubs which can win the CL in a "normal" season. Those are Chelsea, ManU, Liverpool, Barca and now Madrid. Even clubs like Bayern, Inter, Juve or Milan can't compete with the big clubs from England and Spain.
Also, I'm not a support of 6+5. But I'm convinced that there should be equal rules concerning debts in every UEFA league. If clubs in Germany, even big ones like Bayern and Schalke had the debt of Barcelona or Real, they'd already play in god knows which league...but it would definetely not be the Bundesliga.
I'm not saying that the German is better (though I think that clubs should be treated like any other entity). But it's not fair when a club in Spain gets no penalty for a bad financial record and in another country it gets banned from professional football.
And yes, I think a club shouldn't spend more than it earns and I also convinced that clubs have to be able to get along without "individual sponsors" like Roman, some Sheik or even Silvio Berlusconi.
Suhail 3
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Jul 20 2009, 10:33 PM) *
You forgot Nesta smile.gif

SOMEHOW ? yes
dst
I think they only fair thing to do is introduce salary cap.

Platini might be anti-English or not but I'm sure he's more appalled by Madrid's spendings than Manchester's, just like every other football fan in the world that does not support the former.
Zed.D
Salary cap is the best solution. but I guess Kurt would still object!
kurtsimonw
I think some people are really missing the point on the 'big 4' in England. WHy are they known as the big 4? Because of their billionnaire owners? No. They were all CL clubs before all of their respective takeovers, so that's not the reason. The irony in Platini's ideas is that he, as head of UEFA, is essentially the reason that football, in England at least, is the way it is. Our big 4 are so far ahead of everyone else for the revenue they get in the CL. They make more money for ualifying, then they have a biger transfer budget because of this, which then helps them qualify for the CL again and so on. If UEFA weren't so happy in giving millions and millions to these clubs, while giving UEFA cup teams pretty much nothing in order to compete with CL clubs, the gap will widen. This is the first way of handling it and stopping the same teams doing well over and over, but will he do anything about it? Will he f***.

Salary cap? It's impossible unless every league in World football has the same cap, otherwise some leagues would hold an advantage over others, also, the cap would have to be set at whatever the current highest wage bill in World football is, as it would be unfair to force clubs to sell players. I would be for it, but I think there's more possibility for a man to walk to the moon.
Tennie
Thing is, Kurt, at least in the case of the 4 big EPL clubs, all 4 are carrying huge debts. Much of the money they make on CL appearance/merchandise/what have you is spent paying their loans. So profit is there but it's relative. If they were joint stock companies, the shareholders wouldn't get much in dividends.
kurtsimonw
You missed my point about the pre-ownership thing. These were all CL teams before the wreckless spending began. Also, as these are CL teams now and earn more money.. they'd be able to spend more than any other teams in the league evn if new rules were bought in, I don't see how it changes anything.

One thing that annoys me is the debt issue and the owners wealth. If debt is your arguement, then Man City will become the greatest team in World football within a few years, because they will have no debt, but will be able to spend at a level that nobody else can match. You can even look at Milan, why do they not have debt? Because they have a welathy owner, if it weren't for Silvio's money, we would certainly be in debt, we're just fortunate to have him bail us out. The only difference between us and, say, Chelsea, is that Roman hasn't cleared the debts yet.

On a side issue, slightly away from football, I wonder what the governments opinion on this would be? Banks are already low on money as it is, surely losing hundred-million loans from football clubs would further harm banks and the country?
Dzeko
Real Madrid's attempt to initiate Project Galactico Part II with the £56m capture of Kaka may trigger the biggest summer spending spree in the history of football.

A list of players linked with moves reads like a who's who of the modern game: Cristiano Ronaldo, David Villa, Franck Ribery, Cesc Fabregas, Samuel Eto'o, Sergio Aguero, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Tevez and plenty more besides.

Real, with Florentino Perez - the man who ushered in their first Galactico era at the start of the century - back as president, will not stop at Kaka as they seek to challenge Barcelona for Spanish supremacy next season.

Closer to home, the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea are set to stretch their financial muscles as their multi-billionaire owners showcase their recession-proof wealth.

One of Britain's leading sports business professors told BBC Sport he believes it is these three clubs that could prove to be the catalyst for a summer of spend, spend, spend.

"Potentially, I can see individual records being broken and the total spent by Premier League clubs being broken too," said Dr Simon Chadwick, from the Coventry University Business School.

"But I don't think it will be spent very widely. It will be highly skewed by two or three clubs and you are looking in particular at Man City and Chelsea.

"What is even more important, though, is what happens at Real Madrid. That will have a cascading effect on the rest of football - especially in Spain and in England, the two big leagues in Europe."

Returning as president at the Santiago Bernabeu after a three-year absence, Perez had hardly settled back into his old chair before reasserting his authority on the game.

His pursuit of Kaka, along with his stated desire to "work to bring Ronaldo to Real" and repeated links with Valencia's Villa, Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic and Liverpool's Xabi Alonso have fired an early warning shot of supreme confidence.

This, after all, is the man who, in four consecutive summers starting from 2000, took Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo and David Beckham to the capital of Spain for a combined fee of about £132m.

Real have not only endured their first empty-handed season since 2006, but had to sit and watch arch rivals Barcelona claim an unprecedented treble of La Liga, Spanish Cup and the Champions League while winning hearts and minds for their style of football.

Perez wants what Barca have got, and the billionaire construction magnate with vast independent wealth will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

City, who tried an audacious swoop for Kaka in January and have been linked with a move for Real goalkeeper Iker Casillas among plenty of others, have even more money than the Madrid club to play with.

But they are not yet competing at the same level as their more illustrious European neighbours, as their differing levels of success in the chase for Kaka appear to have illustrated.

POTENTIAL WORLD XI OF TRANSFERS
1. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
2. Maicon (Inter Milan)
3. Yuri Zhirkov (CSKA Moscow)
4. Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd)
5. Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea)
6. Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
7. Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)
8. Kaka (AC Milan)
9. David Villa (Valencia)
10. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter)
11. Franck Ribery (Bayern)
Subs: Joleon Lescott, Xabi Alonso, Carlos Tevez, Sergio Aguero, Samuel Eto'o

The challenge for City owner Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan is to turn a side that finished 10th in the Premier League into one that can qualify for the Champions League - with no expense spared.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has tasted at first-hand City's phenomenal financial muscle as his bid for Gareth Barry was easily trumped by the Eastlands outfit.

"I tried to sign Gareth, we made a decent offer and Liverpool were prepared to make a big offer too," said Redknapp.

"But we have both been blown out of the water by Man City. They offered a far bigger transfer fee and are giving the lad much bigger wages. We could not get near."

Football agent Barry Silkman expects City to carry on spending money like it is no object throughout the summer.

"When you talk about Manchester City, a club with a massive amount of money, for them it's of no consequence how much they spend," Silkman told BBC Sport.

"It's irrelevant if the money they spend is 'worth it' too, because they will just pay whatever it takes to get the player they want.

"Other English clubs are going to really struggle to buy from the continent this summer because the pound is so poor against the Euro, but that won't affect City in the slightest.

"They have a bottomless pit and they can go and get who they want without posturing. They need to as well because right now they are five or six world-class players short of competing near the top end of the table."

Silkman expects the poor value of the pound to have a positive impact on the volume of transfers completed between English clubs this summer.

"This will be the biggest internal transfer window ever, no doubt about it," he added. "There will be a lot more deals and much bigger ones than we've seen for a while too.

"The pound is struggling so much that clubs are finding it hard to even pay a player's salary from abroad and so the established players from Europe we've seen coming over in the last few years might dry up."

So, can we expect a trickle effect throughout English football, with Manchester City, Chelsea and Real Madrid the catalyst for a summer of spending throughout the leagues?

"I don't think so," says BBC Sport pundit Pat Nevin. "It's the level below these clubs that will be the most interesting to watch because it's the most unpredictable.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we see transfer fees on the whole at this level - we're talking average Premier League teams - go down and I'm not convinced these clubs will be involved in many massive deals any more either.

"Go down another level to the Championship or the Scottish Premier League and I think we'll see just how little bargaining power these clubs have at the moment.

"It's a different world to City and Chelsea. Those owners just don't get affected by economic downturns like most other businessmen - they aren't working within normal economic parameters."

Dan Jones, the editor of Deloitte's Annual Review of Football Finance, takes it a step further. He believes the record spent by English clubs in a summer transfer window - £530m in 2008 - is not going to be broken.

"I'd be surprised if it was," said Jones. "We're expecting it to be busy, but possibly not record-breaking.

"Part of the reason for that is because there has been such a lot of activity in the last couple of windows - though you have to be careful of the Man City, Chelsea and Real Madrid factor.

"They could kickstart something like Roman Abramovich did when he first arrived at Chelsea six years ago, we have seen it happen before.

"I stand to be corrected by the end of August, but I don't think there will be more spent than last year. Probably not far off the same, but not more than."

Messrs Perez, Sheikh Mansour and Abramovich may have something to say about that. Watch this space.

Additional reporting by Sam Lyon
Tennie
Regarding the side issue, Spain's finance minister was very publicly critical of the two big loans Spanish banks made to Real Madrid to finance the Kaka and Ronaldo transfers while the same banks are unable/unwilling to make loans to small businesses.
kurtsimonw
I'll just wait and see what happens. When Milan sign a player or 2 for big money, I'll see how many people criticise the club for over-spending big and being unfair on teams that can't afford it. I doubt there will be many.
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 22 2009, 05:31 AM) *
I think some people are really missing the point on the 'big 4' in England. WHy are they known as the big 4? Because of their billionnaire owners? No. They were all CL clubs before all of their respective takeovers, so that's not the reason. The irony in Platini's ideas is that he, as head of UEFA, is essentially the reason that football, in England at least, is the way it is. Our big 4 are so far ahead of everyone else for the revenue they get in the CL. They make more money for ualifying, then they have a biger transfer budget because of this, which then helps them qualify for the CL again and so on. If UEFA weren't so happy in giving millions and millions to these clubs, while giving UEFA cup teams pretty much nothing in order to compete with CL clubs, the gap will widen. This is the first way of handling it and stopping the same teams doing well over and over, but will he do anything about it? Will he f***.

Salary cap? It's impossible unless every league in World football has the same cap, otherwise some leagues would hold an advantage over others, also, the cap would have to be set at whatever the current highest wage bill in World football is, as it would be unfair to force clubs to sell players. I would be for it, but I think there's more possibility for a man to walk to the moon.

Chelsea? The first time they ever participated in CL was in 1999 I think. Of course CL football is very important for a club, but it isn't the UEFA money that gives ManU, Chelsea etc such an advantage over other teams. It's their respective owners. Teams like Ajax, PSV, Bayern or Lyon get that money as well. They're not in a position to pay 40 million for one player. I agree with you though that the downfall of the UEFA Cup is not a good development. it was much more prestigious in the early 90ies.
And as for Roman bailing out Chelseas debts. It'll never happen. He's not in the situation to splash out that much money. Same for ManU. Why should they pile on such a huge debts when they actually plan on spending their own money?
Sometimes you simply have to protect people/clubs from themselves.
Protagonist
Platini is addressing a serious issue here, you can't discard it. He is not pointing fingers at the EPL nor Serie A, he is addressing the whole of Europe. He has been pressing for such matter for years now, to level the playing field so that entrants into the UEFA competitions from Bulgaria or Sweden and such, could maybe get a chance to leave at least a footprint in these competitions at some point.

He could state certain examples, such as Real Madrids extravagant touches this summer. Manchester City are not far behind. Abramovic, Moratti, Perez, Berlusconi, Laporta. All these people from the top tier of football have in a way or another raised the prices for everyone else over the past years. I don't get these people, it is like they want to break the salary per week record and jump to break the transfer record. Swaying back and forth, this will only make it harder for the mid-to-lower table teams, they would never really stand a chance, as they don't have Abramovic, nor Berlusconi, Moratti nor perez.

What Manchester United have done, Liverpool, Inter, Barcalona, Real Madrid, Milan, Bayern Munich will do is remain the pillars of European football. Yet leveling the playing field would ignite a bigger response, where teams from Eastern Europe might actually stand a chance to qualify to at least the last 16 of UEFA competitions.

It is a good proposal, but I doubt Platini would disobey Blatter smile.gif
LaPalma
I don't want to be mean towards Eastern european clubs but I always think most of them are boring and lack the charme of clubs like Ajax, Juve, ManU. I DO like Dynamo Zagreb and Red Star though.
Protagonist
That is exactly what my point LaPalma, and the reason behind it is strikingly obvious. We all prefer La Liga and the Premier League to the Sofia derby - if any.

LaPalma
I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the spanish league, though I get what you mean. But isn't the much more interesting question why teams like Lefski Sofia Or Wisla Krakow aren't as appealing as Ajax, Madrid, OM. I think it's the reputation such teams gained in the past 40 years. I mean, even teams like ManU, Bayern Ajax were small clubs once. Plus, I've grown up with those teams being at the top, so I'm not that familiar with football and football culture in eastern Europe no matter what players they have to offer.
Protagonist
I am guessing everyone on Milanfan could agree with that those are the more reputable teams. And that those teams will remain always, by their own right, as the top tier clubs in European football.

Yet the transformation will take time, it would start with mid table teams in the top five leagues in Europe, as they currently have a world-wide audience. From then on, Eastern European teams will get the chance to showcase on the UEFA front, when such teams start making noises in UEFA competitions, that is when their leagues as a whole would start to get the attention accordingly, and hence build up a reputation.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.