MILAN (AP) - David Beckham wants to return to AC Milan "as soon as possible" after the Major League Soccer season ends in November.

The former England captain will return to Los Angeles Galaxy in June, but is expected to rejoin the Italian club in January during the European transfer window.

"I want to come back and play for Milan as soon as possible, even if it doesn't happen quickly," Beckham was quoted as saying in Corriere dello Sport on Friday. "I have to respect the contract I signed with Galaxy. I don't want to do badly for them, just as I haven't for Milan. To stay here I've had to make important financial sacrifices."

Milan is in second place in Italy's top flight with four matches to go, trailing leader Inter Milan by seven points. It is virtually assured of finishing in the top four and securing a place in next year's Champions League after missing out on the competition this season.

Beckham won the Champions League in 1999 with Manchester United and is looking for a repeat with Milan next year, before hopefully playing for England in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"It is the most prestigious trophy a club could win," he said about the Champions League. "I would also like to finally win something with my country. In 13 years it hasn't happened."