Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chelsea, Inter, Club America and AC Milan to face off in U.S.
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Warchant
NEW YORK -- This summer, Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Club America will compete in the inaugural World Football Challenge -- a six-city round robin tournament to be held in the U.S.

Beginning on July 19 and concluding on July 26, the four teams will face off at stadiums across the U.S., including the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.), the Georgia Dome (Atlanta, Ga.), MT&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, Md.), Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.), Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.) and the new Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas). Match tickets go on sale Tuesday at www.worldfootballchallenge.com.

"We are delighted to be in the United States again for preseason," said Peter Kenyon, Chelsea FC chief executive. "This is our fifth preseason out of six that we have toured here and it is always a pleasure to see our fans and train and play in excellent facilities in great cities.

"Chelsea, of course, will bring a full-strength first team squad and with the quality of the opposition, and the backing of our partners, this series of matches will be the best preparation and the most high profile we have played in America."

Kenyon was joined by AC Milan director Umberto Gandini, Club America president Michel Bauer, FC Internazionale Milano technical director Marco Branca, CAA Sports co-head Michael Levine and ESPN Programming vice president Scott Guglielmino at a press conference at the ESPN Zone in New York to announce the 2009 World Football Challenge and match schedule.

"I am very happy to take AC Milan back to the United States after a few years, thanks to our friends at CAA, in a tournament which will see us visiting Atlanta and Baltimore before going back to Boston where we played already," said Gandini. "AC Milan will meet very important teams like Club America, Chelsea, with whom we played on U.S. soil twice, and Internazionale, our city rivals. After 40 years there will be another derby in the States, the last and only so far was in New York. These are going to be three important matches very useful in order to prepare the new season at the best. I am confident that these events will offer great football to all the fans throughout America."

"As president of Club America I am delighted to participate in the World Football Challenge," said Bauer. "I know our fans in the U.S. and Mexico will enjoy such an exciting competition and watching our eagles play against these elite European clubs. With so much talent on the pitch, it's going to be a competitive tournament and I'm looking forward to getting it started."

CAA Sports, a division of Creative Artists Agency, the leading entertainment and sports agency, is the event management agency and organizers of the World Football Challenge.

ESPN, the U.S. English-language television home of the Men's and Women's FIFA World Cups and other marquee international soccer competitions, is the broadcast partner and will televise all matches on ESPN or ESPN2. Matches will also air on ESPN's Spanish-language sports network, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN360.com, the company's live sports broadband network.

"We're very excited to work with CAA Sports in providing football fans around the country with the opportunity to see four of the world's marquee football clubs in action," said Guglielmino.

In May 2008, ESPN2's live telecast of the UEFA Champions League final -- Chelsea vs. Manchester United -- from the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, was seen by 1.1 million viewers, a record for the series in the U.S. In addition, the live coverage of all 31 UEFA European Football Championship 2008 (Euro 2008) matches from eight cities in Switzerland and Austria last June delivered unprecedented viewership, reaching a total of 44.7 million people across ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes and ESPN Classic during the three-week tournament.

World Football Challenge match schedule

Sunday, July 19

Club America vs. Inter at Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.)

7 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Tuesday, July 21

Chelsea vs. Inter at the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.)

11 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Wednesday, July 22

AC Milan vs. Club America at the Georgia Dome (Atlanta, Ga.)

7 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Friday, July 24

AC Milan vs. Chelsea at M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, Md.)

8 p.m. ET on ESPN

Sunday, July 26

AC Milan vs. Inter at Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)

5 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Sunday, July 26

Chelsea vs. Club America at Cowboy Stadium (Arlington, Texas)

7 p.m. ET on ESPN2
Tennie
Hah. I'll close my topic (added it in the 'other' section).

Tickets are onsale at ticketmaster for those interested. Prices (for the baltimore game at least) range from $35 to $175.

If I'm not visiting family, will definitely go to the Baltimore game, maybe to the Boston one as well.
il_diavolo_mtl
Montreal anyone...?
Habitant
hehe mtl i guess not sleep.gif altough i'm considering the drive down to boston... it's not that bad. anyways i'll talk to my bro and i know some milanistas that would consider going smile.gif
Tennie
If you guys do end up coming to the Boston game, let me know. It's easy for me to get up there and Fishdoll owes Habitant a beer.
Habitant
^Sure thing smile.gif

AH the irony laugh.gif a friend of our family who's a big milan fan will be driving back that day from cape cod (for those who dont know thats about an hour away), but with his family so he probably wont be able too...

i checked the tickets and it's 75$+15$ (service fees) for the supporters section, and i wanna get the chance to get some autographs smile.gif + lets say 100$ of gas, anyways we'll see because i'm supposed to be in mexico/dominican rep. for the first week of the construction holiday.
MizNelson
Great, you Beast Coasters get the pick of the litter, and us Californians get the (black-and-blue) leftovers. dry.gif

I'd rather sleep on a bed of nails rather than set eyes on a Chelsea-Inert match.
Tennie
Miz, there are cheap flights on Virgin America between SFO and JFK or IAD.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Habitant @ Mar 24 2009, 11:08 PM) *
^Sure thing smile.gif

AH the irony laugh.gif a friend of our family who's a big milan fan will be driving back that day from cape cod (for those who dont know thats about an hour away), but with his family so he probably wont be able too...

i checked the tickets and it's 75$+15$ (service fees) for the supporters section, and i wanna get the chance to get some autographs smile.gif + lets say 100$ of gas, anyways we'll see because i'm supposed to be in mexico/dominican rep. for the first week of the construction holiday.

i'll pitch in for Gas no problem smile.gif

QUOTE (MizNelson @ Mar 24 2009, 11:23 PM) *
Great, you Beast Coasters get the pick of the litter, and us Californians get the (black-and-blue) leftovers. dry.gif

I'd rather sleep on a bed of nails rather than set eyes on a Chelsea-Inert match.

i'm sure bon jovi wouldn't mind joining you smile.gif
kaka_sheva
Friday, July 24

AC Milan vs. Chelsea at M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, Md.)

8 p.m. ET on ESPN

My friend got me a VIP pass for this game as a birthday present. wub.gif

Meaning... not only do I get really good seats, but I get to watch the two teams practice the day before.... yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif
Tennie
Oo. I'll be doing the same, kakasheva. See you there?smile.gif
MizNelson
Only one word for you guys: PICTURES!

And this time I don't want Fishdoll's fins on the lens. smile.gif
Tennie
cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif No fins at all?!?!?!

Fishdoll is heartbroken! dramaqueensmil.gif dramaqueensmil.gif dramaqueensmil.gif
Jack Sparrow
Stupid frickin fishdoll....I hate that critter.
MizNelson
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 25 2009, 09:24 PM) *
Stupid frickin fishdoll....I hate that critter.

I can't be friends with pirates who insult fishdolls for NO reason whatsoever.

Besides, I've found Fishdoll to be more romantic. I've never had a pirate send me Italian chocolate, so sorry, Jack.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Mar 26 2009, 12:33 PM) *
I can't be friends with pirates who insult fishdolls for NO reason whatsoever.

Besides, I've found Fishdoll to be more romantic. I've never had a pirate send me Italian chocolate, so sorry, Jack.

Hmmph...stupid fishdoll and his fake gestures.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.