Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chelsea Could Sell Didier Drogba, Admits Scolari
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Transfers
Bluesummers
Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has admitted that the club may sell Didier Drogba, provided they receive the right offer.

The Ivorian appears to have fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge after a poor showing in last weekend’s 0-3 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford.

The striker has been dropped for Chelsea’s last two games, the 4-1 win against Southend United in the FA Cup in midweek, and yesterday’s 2-1 win over Stoke City in the Premier League.

Manager Scolari has now revealed that whilst Drogba may return to the side for next weekend’s FA Cup clash with Ipswich, if the club were to receive a suitable offer for their striker they would be tempted to sell him.

Speaking to setanta.com the Brazilian explained: “Sell him? It’s my choice but I think if someone offers a lot of money, the club might accept it. He still trains very hard and could be in my side next week – but I make the decisions.”

The Chelsea boss also insisted that this applied to all of his players and not just Drogba. He said: “If people offer money for my players, it’s down to the club to accept them.”

With Drogba left out of yesterday’s squad, Scolari handed youngsters Miroslav Stoch and Franco Di Santo the chance to impress, and the pair, on as second half substitutes, both played their part in hauling the Blues back from a goal down to win 2-1 courtesy of two late goals.

Speaking about their contribution, Scolari hinted that they may get further chances in the first team. He said: “Over a five-year period, I’m the only manager here that has given players like [Miroslav] Stoch and [Franco] Di Santo their chance and I want to continue that.”

Galliani wanna offer 5 mil please and sign him asap thanx.
MizNelson
Shouldn't this go in the Football section, as we're not mentioned in any part as being interested in his services?
Zed.D
We have a habit of buying players past their very best so I wouldn't rule him out. especially since we've been linked with him a lot of times before.

Do I want him? no, I don't think so... his age is the problem. we must focus on younger players.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 18 2009, 09:31 PM) *
We have a habit of buying players past their very best so I wouldn't rule him out. especially since we've been linked with him a lot of times before.

Do I want him? no, I don't think so... his age is the problem. we must focus on younger players.

I don't think we need young strikers. We have Paloschi and Pato, isn't that more then enough?

And also, I think Drogba isn't finished yet. He's still much potential, just needs a change IMO. I'd take him without much consideration. But maybe it's just that I'm missing some African component at Milan, ever since the real Puma left...
mallamkay
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 18 2009, 10:52 PM) *
I don't think we need young strikers. We have Paloschi and Pato, isn't that more then enough?

And also, I think Drogba isn't finished yet. He's still much potential, just needs a change IMO. I'd take him without much consideration. But maybe it's just that I'm missing some African component at Milan, ever since the real Puma left...

drogba wuld av been gud, but we need to move on or we wuld some be worse than madrid
Devillito
dry.gif

Drogba is finished!! Bring us Benzema!!
Jack Sparrow
Guys...we need target men. Borriello has proved as reliable as R99. If not Drogba who? Benzema doesn't fill a tactical hole. Neither does Paloschi, who's more Pippo than anything else. Is that bloke Gomez making any noise nowadays?
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 18 2009, 11:53 PM) *
Guys...we need target men. Borriello has proved as reliable as R99. If not Drogba who? Benzema doesn't fill a tactical hole. Neither does Paloschi, who's more Pippo than anything else. Is that bloke Gomez making any noise nowadays?

target men ? so many.......

will we buy any of them ? probably not.

I think pato will be our striker for a long time to come.
acid911
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Jan 21 2009, 05:05 AM) *
I think pato will be our striker for a long time to come.

But that still doesn't hide the fact that we need a hitman, someone like Ronaldo (R99), Drogba, Toni, etc upfront to divert the attention of the opposing defenders. unsure.gif A tall, strong, fast and well built guy is needed, someone in the Kaka build (at least). They do the dirty work, and guys like Pato/Gila/Inzaghi finish up with the goals.

Pato is not that guy. Never will be, too.
Zed.D
I completely disagree with you, acid. no disrespect at all intended to Gila and Pippo, but they are poachers. they need others to provide them with opportunities or they will end 90% of games without doing anything noteworthy. putting Pato's name in the same line is a little like underestimating his abilities. it's true Pato scores Pippo-like goals (the 1st against Roma), but he can also create a goal opportunity and score out of nothing (the 2nd goal against Roma). so far he has scored more Pippo-like goals, but just as I had no doubt Pato would make it here two years ago, I have no doubt that we will see more wonder goals by him in the future.

While I know Pato is not a target man and will never be that, I now have no doubt that he can be the focal point of every team's attack once he reaches his prime [note that he's a kind of player that will reach his prime MUCH sooner than most players - I'd say by the age of 23 (or maybe sooner) he will be a monster!]. Ronaldo wasn't a target man [a la Toni, Drogba, Nistelrooy, etc.] because he wasn't a header of the ball, yet he could be any team's lone striker. so unless we're just looking for a guy who is an excellent header, it's understandable that Pato does not exactly fit the bill. but I can't think of any other characteristic that he lacks or will not gain/improve at in the future. I know I'm making myself look like silly fanboy, but that's what I really think about him. wink.gif

* I think target men are not fast, nor need to be.
acid911
Agree with the majority of the post. I always categorized Pato more in the Ronaldo mold, a striker that can do all things, play at almost all forward positions, unlike Inzaghi types that are pure poachers! biggrin.gif Technically not a hitman, but if we play with a 2 strikers system (last year with R99) with someone experienced like Vieri and Drogba (who's different than Luca Toni in that he can run halfway across the pitch if needed) then Pato can stay in the box and score goals. We had Borriello who could have accomplished that goal of holding the ball up from a pass from Pirlo/Ronaldinho/Beckham and then once the defenders were on him, pass it to Pato for him to score.

It's complicated. Always is with multi-dimensional attackers like Pato/R99. They can fit anywhere.
dst
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 21 2009, 07:13 AM) *
But that still doesn't hide the fact that we need a hitman, someone like Ronaldo (R99), Drogba, Toni, etc upfront to divert the attention of the opposing defenders. unsure.gif A tall, strong, fast and well built guy is needed, someone in the Kaka build (at least). They do the dirty work, and guys like Pato/Gila/Inzaghi finish up with the goals.

Pato is not that guy. Never will be, too.

We have Borriello who I personally have faith in but he's always injured...
acid911
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 21 2009, 03:56 PM) *
We have Borriello who I personally have faith in but he's always injured...

I was a fan of him too, but that was months back. sleep.gif For me, currently, we don't have a player named Borriello. Still hope he gets back and shows his true worth. He will always be injury prone. I still think we should have sold him for 19m to a Serie A side, and bought Huntelaar instead.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 21 2009, 02:20 PM) *
I was a fan of him too, but that was months back. sleep.gif For me, currently, we don't have a player named Borriello. Still hope he gets back and shows his true worth. He will always be injury prone. I still think we should have sold him for 19m to a Serie A side, and bought Huntelaar instead.

But then who will fill in the quota for Milan breed players ? We need them in order to register for UEFA competitions. And Borriello is a very good choice, when he's back, I hope he can take the pressure off the team by being as decisive as he was in Genoa ...

I mean, I'm not denying Huntelaar's talent, but being placed infront of an Italian defense, many players choke. Take a good look at Gourcuff, he can dribble through 3 or 4 defenders in Liga 1 .. Which, realistically, is miles away from the quality that he faced (and I hope he will face again) in Serie A.

Hence, having Borriello is like hitting two birds with one stone .. A quality Serie A striker and a Milan breed player .. Don't you think ?
acid911
Yes, but I still think he isn't the solution we need. The fact that he's so injury prone is another thing altogether, I'm talking about his effectiveness in this team. huh.gif I think the Milan shirt is too big for him. Weak technique, and a confidence player which is another point in the cons column. Strikers who are touch or confidence players never get big, you have to be consistent and sustain your talents and abilities to score goals. Something bad happens (like your girlfriend leaves you on national TV), and you lose your scoring touch, then that's always bad.

Now, if he gets back to top form, like the one he displayed in Genoa, then all's dandy. Of course, I'll be more than happy, as I rather liked him. But if he doesn't then we'll never get anything near the 19m that was offered to us last year. As for the homegrown player thingy, there are so many other homegrown players that we could/should/would have given a chance in the senior side. Darmian being one contender, Paloschi being the other.

Still, too early to decide. It's been what half a season, exactly, and two goals from Bori? dry.gif Time will tell.
Jack Sparrow
I don't think Paloschi's out of contention, neither is Darmian. Both will take another 3-4 years though to break into the first team proper. It's the Italian way. for eg. De Rossi

Borriello is useful, and I dont' say we should sell him, but his availability is hampering his usefulness! sad.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 21 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Borriello is useful, and I dont' say we should sell him, but his availability is hampering his usefulness!

Exacto. smile.gif I must confess I had real high hopes when we brought him back. The $$$ we paid to buy him back, the hype, Galliani coming out harping, all the hoopla. I bought it. Too bad it only lived up to his first goal in the UEFA Cup. After that it started going downhill.
Fillipo Simone
If we're talking about strikers, I'd say Vucinic and Pandey should be our objectives. It's clear that they'll at some point outgrow Rome (or at least feel that way), and we should be there to pick them up...
Jack Sparrow
Pandev? Pandev would probably outgrow Lazio right? But aren't they both hit and miss players??
acid911
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 21 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Pandev? Pandev would probably outgrow Lazio right? But aren't they both hit and miss players??

Lazio is in Rome. rolleyes.gif Better brush up on your geography skills, captain.

But I certainly agree they're not particularly the solution we need. For the top club that we are, we need top, top players. As things stand Benzama is better than both Vucinic and Pandev combined, so our eyes should be there. He certainly wants to win the CL, and we could turn that to our advantage. unsure.gif There are also other options available, one being Mario Gomez. David Villa, another. I'll be more than happy with either three.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 21 2009, 08:01 PM) *
Lazio is in Rome. rolleyes.gif Better brush up on your geography skills, captain.

But I certainly agree they're not particularly the solution we need. For the top club that we are, we need top, top players. As things stand Benzama is better than both Vucinic and Pandev combined, so our eyes should be there. He certainly wants to win the CL, and we could turn that to our advantage. unsure.gif There are also other options available, one being Mario Gomez. David Villa, another. I'll be more than happy with either three.

I thought he was talking about the club Rome... heh heh *totally sheepish* Should know by now that Filippo does not make mistakes.

But except for Gomez, I don't think any of the others are target men. In fact isn't Benzema more like Pato.
acid911
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 21 2009, 07:35 PM) *
But except for Gomez, I don't think any of the others are target men. In fact isn't Benzema more like Pato.

Yes he is. smile.gif Simone was talking about forwards and strikers so I said Benzama. Villa, too is not a strongman upfront, and that's why I think Gomez is just about perfect to be paired with Pato. Physical presence that will go great with Pato's agility. Of course, I want Borriello to get another chance to prove himself before that.

But there's a reason he's only had 3 caps for the Azzuri up till now. And the fact the his agent said that he'll move to another club if we signed Ronaldinho. I mean, talk about it. I did, as a matter of fact, admire his time in Genoa, but that's no way to talk. Drogba? Well he's getting old, and if we buy him, it'll be hard to sell him after two three years. Who wants to buy an old forward like him, other than rich Arab sheiks? But to be in our best attacking form, we need two things. Ditching the Christmas tree, and playing two strikers. And getting a hitman like Drogba, Gomez, etc.

I mean, Holy hell, we have the creative forces of Kaka, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Pirlo, Seedorf, etc and yet we fail to score at will? What kind of a sick joke is that, Serie A or not. Our average should be more than 2 goals scored per game. I mean if inter and Juve can do it, why can't we? huh.gif When in fact, we have a much, much better midfield than them.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 21 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Borriello is useful, and I dont' say we should sell him, but his unavailability is hampering his usefulness! sad.gif

fixed wink.gif

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 21 2009, 06:05 PM) *
In fact isn't Benzema more like Pato.

A question, Cap... have you ever watched Benzema play? biggrin.gif what about Pato? tongue.gif

Just how are they like each other? they are very different.

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 21 2009, 09:54 AM) *
Agree with the majority of the post. I always categorized Pato more in the Ronaldo mold, a striker that can do all things, play at almost all forward positions, unlike Inzaghi types that are pure poachers! biggrin.gif Technically not a hitman, but if we play with a 2 strikers system (last year with R99) with someone experienced like Vieri and Drogba (who's different than Luca Toni in that he can run halfway across the pitch if needed) then Pato can stay in the box and score goals. We had Borriello who could have accomplished that goal of holding the ball up from a pass from Pirlo/Ronaldinho/Beckham and then once the defenders were on him, pass it to Pato for him to score.

It's complicated. Always is with multi-dimensional attackers like Pato/R99. They can fit anywhere.

devil.gif Now we're talking!
acid911
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 21 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Now we're talking!

Birds of a feather, flock together! cool.gif Stands true all the time.
Fillipo Simone
Pandev and Vucinic are Serie A tested, Benzema isn't.

I know Benezema is everyone's favorite young player, but I'll admit - I hate the guy. He's egocentric, selfish, behaves cocky, easily gett's aggressive and is overconfident. I can't stand his approach. But yes, he scores, he plays supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.. but it's a personal thing.

Gomez is good, but this season hasn't been his best till now.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 21 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I know Benezema is everyone's favorite young player, but I'll admit - I hate the guy. He's egocentric, selfish, behaves cocky, easily gett's aggressive and is overconfident. I can't stand his approach. But yes, he scores, he plays supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.. but it's a personal thing.

I hope no one gets me wrong, I rate Benzema highly, but I'm still kinda doubtful whether he's THAT GREAT as everyone says.

Even his goalscoring record, for someone who's playing in the French league and is considered Europe's best young striker, is not exactly out of this world.

But he's surely very good and could go on and become even better at Barca or Man U...

After watching his performances in the Euro 2008, I for one would rather see him in another team.
Fillipo Simone
Yeah, well...Euro's don't say much. Benzema had a terrible Euro too.

Gomez was exhausted, he still didn't find his place for the "Elf",...naah, he's young and has time.
I agree, Benzema still has to be tested. Just like Gourcuff.
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 21 2009, 10:00 PM) *
Pandev and Vucinic are Serie A tested, Benzema isn't.

But the thing is they're also not Milan quality, while Bezama is. unsure.gif I've seen enough of both Pandev and Vucinic and they seem just one notch below what I'd expect a club like Milan to sign. Not bad players, yes. But not particularly earth shattering ones either.

Yeah, he has all these qualities that you'll call bad. But one thing we've got to set aside is this do we want classy, yes-boss type of players to play for Milan, or inglorious basturds and punks who help us win? huh.gif What a player does or how he behaves is his own personal matter. They don't make them Maldinis anymore, so we better decide and soon. Because I've heard the same argument for Gourcuff (the only thing I've seen from him is diving). Well my friend, Inzaghi is the biggest diver in these parts of the wood, even Pippo will admit that. And what about Ambro? That guy is a frigging axe murder - he'll shoulder and elbow anybody and anything that moves.

And besides, what would you call Seedorf, a Milan legend of sorts? He's what I'll call egocentric, selfish, behaves cocky, easily gett's aggressive and is overconfident. And then some. tongue.gif That's hippocrisy, and I'm not aiming this at anybody, but even if I said something like this, it'll be hippocrisy. I'm not taking sides, I like to call things down the middle. But I think it'd be better if we decided on what sorts of players to sign, because there will be all sorts of animals in world football. Gone are the days of innocence that you and I like to remember.

Agreed. sleep.gif Still I'm confident he'll bounce back.
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 21 2009, 10:19 PM) *
Yeah, well...Euro's don't say much. Benzema had a terrible Euro too.
Gomez was exhausted, he still didn't find his place for the "Elf",...naah, he's young and has time.
I agree, Benzema still has to be tested. Just like Gourcuff.

Ditto. cool.gif Gomez never got a fair chance one he missed that stupid little sitter (which wasn't exactly a sitter once I saw it recorded). Klose scoring didn't help matter either. Benzama? Yes, he has to taste top flight football, and by this I mean playing for a top club, and a CL final appearance or two.

@ ZD: Greatness is a relative thing, after all. biggrin.gif
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 21 2009, 10:17 PM) *
fixed wink.gif

A question, Cap... have you ever watched Benzema play? biggrin.gif what about Pato? tongue.gif

Just how are they like each other? they are very different.

No...I didn't mean the play similar. Just that they're both mobile strikers. Sorry, if it came out wrong. I agree too that he's not as great!
RinoIlCapitano
I think Drogba isn't a must have but it will be good if we could buy him. He is scoring 15-20 in a bed season so i think he will be a great player for us, esspecialy when we have a problem called boriello an his injuries.... We need a target player and also we need a good player that can resolve the games when coming up from the banch (inzaghi is too old ithink, a nd sheva simply isn't that player anymore i think) so drogba will be a great player for the rest of the season and for next 2 or maybe 3 seasons. So if we could make this for 12-16 M we could get a look in to this possibility!
Tennie
A big fins down on paying much for Drogba from Fishdoll. A primadonna with a temper who, while quite good, also has that annoying tendency to do the 'ZOMG, I've been shot!' thing. If we could get him for under 10m? Possibly.
CrazyMilanFan
yea at max 10 m for him
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Jan 22 2009, 09:48 PM) *
yea at max 10 m for him

I wouldn't buy Max on a free transfer. tongue.gif

Drogba, I'd pay 12 million. Needless to say we won't get him for that amount..so end of discussion?

I think we'll have a better chance of getting Gomez. Maybe 17-18 million.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 22 2009, 03:03 PM) *
A big fins down on paying much for Drogba from Fishdoll. A primadonna with a temper who, while quite good, also has that annoying tendency to do the 'ZOMG, I've been shot!' thing. If we could get him for under 10m? Possibly.

Agreed.

His baggage + age means that he shouldn't be bought for a big price, in my opinion. We could do with a big, strong target man of sorts though.
Jack Sparrow
So, you're saying we're free to go tap up Carew? Do we get a milanfan.com discount?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 23 2009, 03:44 PM) *
So, you're saying we're free to go tap up Carew? Do we get a milanfan.com discount?

Nah, not sure the San Siro could handle the combined awesomeness of Carew and Ambrosini without exploding.
Tennie
(But...but we could wear Viking helmets if Carew came!)
ahmed ashraf

Didier Drogba Info Overview
Birth Name: Didier Drogba Tébily
Nick Name:
Date of birth: March 11, 1978
Location of birth: Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Height: 1.8m (6ft2in)
Weight: 91kg (200lbs)
Current team: Chelsea
Position: Striker
Number: 11
Didier Drogba Biography

Didier Drogba, who is Striker for the Chelsea football Club wearing jersey number 11, was born on November 8, 1981, in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire. He stands 6 feet 2 inches and weighs 200 lbs.
He first played for youth tem Levallois, a local football club in 1996. He then played senior soccer beggining in 1998, signing up for Le Mans. He played there until 2002, scoring 12 goals in 63 matches. He has bee a feared striker ever since, playing for En Avant Guingamp in 2002-2003, scoring 20 goals in 63 matches, Marseille in 2003-2004, 18 goals in 35 matches, and hassince played for Chelsea, accumulating 50 goals in 110 matches.
He has been a part of his country's national theme since 2002 and has compiled 33 goals in 50 matches.
all overview click here
Didier Drogba

dst
What's your point?
Jack Sparrow
Nothing. He just thought you'd find the picture of the guy with the cell phone kinda attractive. See! Everyone knows what you like!!! tongue.gif
MizNelson
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 9 2009, 11:12 AM) *
What's your point?

Spammer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.