Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roma vs Milan
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 08/09
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
acid911
Our first match after the New Year's break! cool.gif On 11 January (my father's birthday) we face Roma, who coincidentally are on the 11th place themselves in Serie A, though they have one extra match. To be brutally honest, I'd hate to be in Roma's shoes, as not only they're finding it hard to win, they are also struggling with injuries to key players, including their talisman Francesco Totti. A vital match to win if we are to keep our dwindling hopes of Scudetto alive, this and the next one against Fiorentina. Behold the Stadio Olympico, ladies and men (gentle or otherwise), the place where this match, as well as the CL final will be held:

You guessed it, time for some stats between the two clubs, current rankings, head to head, top scorers, etc.

Date: Sunday, 11 January, 2009
Time: 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm GMT
Place: Stadio Olimpico (Rome)

Forza Milan! devil.gif
Tennie
According to a report yesterday in Mediaset, Roma have a LOT of injury issues: Totti is definitely out for a while and Baptista, Pizarro, Aquilani, Menez, and Taddei are all doubts with various knocks, etc. Pizarro is apparently the worst of the second group and may require surgery.

Here is Gazzetta's projected lineup:
12 Abbiati
15 Zambrotta
4 Kaladze
3 Maldini
18 Jankulovski
10 Seedorf
21 Pirlo
84 Flamini
22 Kakà
80 Ronaldinho
7 Pato

And here's their projected bench:
1 Dida
19 Favalli
77 Antonini
23 Ambrosini
32 Beckham
76 Shevchenko
9 Inzaghi

Given that we're well into January at this point, Fishdoll would really like an END TO CHRISTMAS TREES. Ahem.
Zed.D
I have a bad feeling about this game... think a draw is the best we can manage.

Acid, is this reliable? what's the website?

So Kaka and Dinho have scored 6 Serie A goals each?
Zed.D
I just checked, this is KaPaRo's stats:

Ronaldinho
9 goals [2 penalties]
-----------------------
7 in Serie A [2 penalties]
2 in UEFA

Pato
8 goals [0 penalties]
-----------------------
6 in Serie A
2 in UEFA

Kaka
7 goals [2 penalties]
-----------------------
7 in Serie A [2 penalties]
0 in UEFA
Tennie
Weather update: Apparently northern Italy has gotten hammered by a snowstorm. Because of this, Milan will be staying in Dubai until Friday, when they'll fly directly to Rome.

(Better them than the Gobbi. The Turin airport was actually closed due to heavy snow and they are returning home by bus. From MESSINA.)
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 7 2009, 04:25 PM) *
(Better them than the Gobbi. The Turin airport was actually closed due to heavy snow and they are returning home by bus. From MESSINA.)

Ry4n
^^

Haha thats gunna take them a day and a bit !
Tennie
Overnight, actually. biggrin.gif They should arrive in Turin early this afternoon and will immediately train.

Talked to a friend who lives in Milan, where they got over 40cm of snow. He says it's the most snow they've had in the city proper in the last 20 years.
Ry4n
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 7 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Overnight, actually. biggrin.gif They should arrive in Turin early this afternoon and will immediately train.

Talked to a friend who lives in Milan, where they got over 40cm of snow. He says it's the most snow they've had in the city proper in the last 20 years.

oh right lol i thought it would be longer tongue.gif laugh.gif

yeah thats alot of snow fall 40cm ohmy.gif must of been alot of snow fights biggrin.gif
Tennie

Piazza Duomo in Milan today. It really is snowing lots!
I_Rossoneri
^^Yet more reasons to live in Milan cool.gif

Looking forward to this game, I just hope the real Milan turn up devil.gif
Ry4n
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 7 2009, 04:42 PM) *

Piazza Duomo in Milan today. It really is snowing lots!

Oh my GOD!!!!!! laugh.gif
Fillipo Simone
Acid, really nice preparation! Thanks for the stats, finally someone!! Respect, respect,..
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 8 2009, 03:30 AM) *
Acid, really nice preparation! Thanks for the stats, finally someone!! Respect, respect,..

At least someone noticed. blush.gif Thanks. Takes half an hours to prepare the thread, but hey, I love stats. Gives you some idea of the recent history as well as past encounters. Like they say, it's a numbers game, after all!

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 7 2009, 03:41 PM) *
I have a bad feeling about this game... think a draw is the best we can manage.

Golly, if that happens, bye bye Scudetto. For real. unsure.gif Unless inter and Juve roll down and play dead for us. As I put, one more, just one more stupid loss of points from now till the season's end, and hello 4th place. Maybe even hello UEFA Cup again!

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 7 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Acid, is this reliable? what's the website?

Reliable yes, it's a UK betting site (covers.co.uk), the Serie A section there. Anyway, yeah. Like you put it yourself above the goal numbers are different, and I noticed this too. innocent.gif Problem is I've seen more than one numbers for our top scorers at various sites. Even Wikipedia has give or take one/two goals for Ronaldinho. No certain figure, unless you look at the official Serie A website. I think it's also got to do with the fact that there were some goals that were or were not credited to certain players.

Either way, good eye there. And thanks for listing the correct amount of goals!
MizNelson
With Totti out, this may be our best chance to gain some ground. Roma are all but a one-man team without him, so we really don't have much of an excuse if we muck it up.

QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 6 2009, 09:23 AM) *
Fishdoll would really like an END TO CHRISTMAS TREES. Ahem.

Heh. Well, Carlo has two bad habits: smoking, and the Xmas tree formation. Neither are easily breakable.

(OT, but I also like the recent enhancement to your sig.)
Fillipo Simone
The tree formation should work against Roma. I'm not so worried. Spalletti's brave words to the media are telling he's pushing his side forward a bit, but I don't think he'll succeed. It's still no Totti no Roma, at least when they play against stronger sides.
elcordobez
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 8 2009, 01:05 PM) *
The tree formation should work against Roma. I'm not so worried. Spalletti's brave words to the media are telling he's pushing his side forward a bit, but I don't think he'll succeed. It's still no Totti no Roma, at least when they play against stronger sides.

Vucinic has a habit of scoring against us though.

kurtsimonw
3-1 Milan.
KillerMax
The last game form thing seems off to me... Have Roma really won that many games recently? Or do those stats count friendlies too?
Ry4n
Hey guys & gals im off to the last training session here in Dubai which starts in 30 mins before they fly to Rome for the pre match more pictures and hopefully i get an autograph or two !
Tennie
Ooh! Have fun, Ry4n! Tell Favalli happy birthday if you see him! smile.gif

acid911
QUOTE (KillerMax @ Jan 8 2009, 01:33 PM) *
The last game form thing seems off to me... Have Roma really won that many games recently? Or do those stats count friendlies too?

As a matter of pure fact Roma has. And no, they only count official matches. innocent.gif Truth be told, they had a nice little winning streak of five matches going before the Catania match. This allowed them to climb from 18th to 11th. The above stats for the last 10 games, however, do include CL and Coppa matches, just in case you're wondering (to get a full view of a team's form). Here are their wins, denoted by asterisk:

1-1 Roma-Napoli
3-1 Palermo-Roma
3-0 Roma-Reggina*
3-1 Genoa-Roma
2-0 Roma-Atalanta*
1-0 Siena-Roma
0-4 Roma-Inter
3-1 Udinese-Roma*
n/a Roma-Sampdoria (to be held again on 14/01/09)
2-0 Juventus-Roma
1-1 Bologna-Roma
1-0 Roma-Lazio*
0-3 Lecce-Roma*
1-0 Roma-Fiorentina*
0-1 Chievo-Roma*
3-2 Roma-Cagliari*
3-2 Catania-Roma
Tennie
There's a question as to whether or not Abbiati will be available for this game due to the knock that kept him out of the Hamburg friendly.
acid911
QUOTE (Ry4n @ Jan 8 2009, 05:34 PM) *
Hey guys & gals im off to the last training session here in Dubai which starts in 30 mins before they fly to Rome for the pre match more pictures and hopefully i get an autograph or two !

Or two dozen!? innocent.gif Get as many as you can.
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 8 2009, 06:05 PM) *
There's a question as to whether or not Abbiati will be available for this game due to the knock that kept him out of the Hamburg friendly.

Me and my brother have been talking about this. Did anyone say Dida? droolsmiley.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 8 2009, 02:05 PM) *

Don't wanna sound unfair but I look forward to see Dida infront again. It's time, one last shot he deserves.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 8 2009, 04:25 PM) *
Me and my brother have been talking about this. Did anyone say Dida? droolsmiley.gif

Dida innocent.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 8 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Don't wanna sound unfair but I look forward to see Dida infront again. It's time, one last shot he deserves.

Nothing unfair about it. biggrin.gif Dida is 2nd choice for a reason, and the reason being him stepping up in times of trouble. I won't mind a match or two, and then going back when Abbiati gets fit again (though Abbiati has fallen down to the mediocre level, in the last couple of months). Either way would be fine by me.

If both our first and second choice got injured through some bad stroke of luck, then I won't even mind seeing Kalac again. As long as they're in the squad, I'm with all the players, even Emerson. That I don't like them personally is secondary, seeing them perform is my primary concern. Same goes for Abbiait, Kalac and anyone else. Perform, for the sake of Milan, the club.

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 8 2009, 06:36 PM) *
Dida

By all means! devil.gif About time, if duty calls.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 8 2009, 10:15 AM) *
3-1 Milan.

what? are you alright? this is the first positive result that I remember from you!

QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 8 2009, 03:05 PM) *

Well... I won't feel very comfortable with Dida on goal... I hope he grasps the chance if he gets it.
CrazyMilanFan
i think draw wouldnt be that bad it is an away goals and we have struggled a lot against roma in recent years
whoarethepatriots
The last time we won at the Olimpico was a long time ago

2004/05 season. Pirlo scored a penalty and Crespo (with a header i think). Totti was stupidly sent off (like usual in his early days). It was a glorious match, but we havent won there since
Zed.D
We haven't beat them in the Olimpico for four years? wow...
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 8 2009, 05:20 PM) *
We haven't beat them in the Olimpico for four years? wow...

We havent actually got many points against them since Spalletti has been there

Last season - 2 defeats
06/07 - 1 defeat, 1 draw
05/06 - 1 defeat, 1 win

So thats four points out of a possible 18
han2503
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 8 2009, 04:32 PM) *
what? are you alright? this is the first positive result that I remember from you!

Expect us to lose after that prediction from kurt tongue.gif

I'm just happy to see the team back in action again. Hopefully we'll go out with the right frame of mind and start 2009 with a win, anything less could mean another season fighting for 4th spot
han2503
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jan 8 2009, 07:30 PM) *
We havent actually got many points against them since Spalletti has been there

Last season - 2 defeats
06/07 - 1 defeat, 1 draw
05/06 - 1 defeat, 1 win

So thats four points out of a possible 18

The last couple of seasons have been particularly humiliating when it comes to Roma, still remember the drubbing we got 2 years back in the San Siro, and last season's game in the Olimpico is another soar spot since we had the game in our hands and threw it away like we usually tend to do when we try to close a game by defending.

All I say is keep an eye on Vucinic, he's fast and I'mo hoping that he will be starting his attacks from the left so that Zambro is the one tracking him not the suddenly shaky Janku
Tennie
They've still got all sorts of injury question marks. Aside from Vucinic pretty much all their attacking players (AMs and strikers) are hurt to some degree or another.

btw, for what it's worth, Panucci's contract is up for renewal and his agent has commented that Roma have been dragging their feet.
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 8 2009, 09:05 PM) *
The last couple of seasons have been particularly humiliating when it comes to Roma, still remember the drubbing we got 2 years back in the San Siro, and last season's game in the Olimpico is another soar spot since we had the game in our hands and threw it away like we usually tend to do when we try to close a game by defending.

All I say is keep an eye on Vucinic, he's fast and I'mo hoping that he will be starting his attacks from the left so that Zambro is the one tracking him not the suddenly shaky Janku

That match is when my Aquilani love affair began. His pass to (Taddei?) was sublime
Habitant
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jan 8 2009, 09:42 PM) *
That match is when my Aquilani love affair began. His pass to (Taddei?) was sublime

mancini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z45-HBtrAqg king.gif
MizNelson
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 8 2009, 06:01 AM) *
Nothing unfair about it. biggrin.gif Dida is 2nd choice for a reason, and the reason being him stepping up in times of trouble. I won't mind a match or two, and then going back when Abbiati gets fit again (though Abbiati has fallen down to the mediocre level, in the last couple of months). Either way would be fine by me.

Abbiati will start in goal on Sunday.
Zed.D
I want revenge for last season's defeat. even though Carlo might just do it again and ruin the night with one of his spectacular substitutions...

- Milan leading and playing perfectly
- Carlo can't take it anymore; an attacker out, a defensive midfielder in
- the plan to hold on to the result backfires. Roma score a couple of goals.
- Milan lose!

This is exactly last that game's scenario...
acid911
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Jan 9 2009, 03:34 AM) *
Abbiati will start in goal on Sunday.

That pesky little rodent. dry.gif Scared are you? Kidding. tongue.gif Whoever does, I hope we reverse our recent trend against Rome. Nothing less than a victory will do it for me. In this match and - as much as I hate to say it - against Fiorentina too. Forza Milan!
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 8 2009, 10:47 PM) *
I want revenge for last season's defeat. even though Carlo might just do it again and ruin the night with one of his spectacular substitutions...

- Milan lose!

That plan may have worked if the said substitute wasnt Emerson, and was instead a real DM or defender
dst
If we can't beat Roma now then we should be more than satisfied with a top 4 finish!

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 9 2009, 12:47 AM) *
- Carlo can't take it anymore;

laugh.gif laugh.gif
KillerMax
I almost chocked on my food when I read that part of Zed.D's post... laugh.gif
MizNelson
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 8 2009, 06:01 AM) *
Nothing unfair about it. biggrin.gif Dida is 2nd choice for a reason, and the reason being him stepping up in times of trouble. I won't mind a match or two, and then going back when Abbiati gets fit again (though Abbiati has fallen down to the mediocre level, in the last couple of months).

I would not be surprised if he was disappointed that Abbiati recovered to play on Sunday, not that Abbiati should stay hurt, but because he was this close to making his first league start of the season. It would be pretty sad if he went the entire season without at least one Serie A appearance.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 9 2009, 05:17 AM) *

- Carlo can't take it anymore;
an attacker out, a defensive midfielder in
- Milan lose!

I know I should possibly come up with some defence, but this was just too funny. laugh.gif

Oh wait... huh.gif My title is under attack. Goddaaammit!
han2503
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 8 2009, 11:47 PM) *

- Milan lose!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

classic zd
Zed.D
^^

It's no joke. it's the sad truth! dry.gif

QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jan 9 2009, 03:54 AM) *
That plan may have worked if the said substitute wasnt Emerson, and was instead a real DM or defender

Well, IINM it was Seedorf who as having one hell of a game, and was substituted by Carlo.

It's strange, even when he's not giving his all we seem to play better than when he's on the bench. not that he's irreplaceable, no. it's just that currently there's no one else in the team to replace him.
Tennie
Emidio Morganti will referee the match.
Jack Sparrow
Does Zeddie like him?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.