Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milan coach says Beckham to play in exhibition
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Warchant
ROME (AP) - David Beckham will play in AC Milan's exhibition match with Hamburger SV in Dubai next week and possibly against AS Roma in the Serie A on Jan. 11.

Beckham is at Milan on loan from the Los Angeles Galaxy until early March. There has been some skepticism about whether the 33-year-old midfielder will contribute to his new team.

"He lacks a bit of strength, but even this is normal, given a long break. He will play in the friendly against Hamburg," Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti was quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Will he also play in Rome? He's ready to do it, why shouldn't he be there?"

Beckham, a former star at Manchester United and Real Madrid, has previously said playing for Milan satisfies his dream of playing with a top Italian team and helping him keep fit in the American offseason in a bid to maintain a spot in England's national team.
Tennie
The current poll in Gazzetta indicates that public opinion (for what it's worth) thinks he should be on the bench for the Roma game and should come on if needed at some point.
acid911
Can't wait. devil.gif No way a fan, but he's a quality player, and it'll be worth a spectacle!
Zed.D
I don't think it's a good idea to let Beckham play right away. but the people at the helm of AC Milan care about showing off with our superstars and having the media's attention more than they care about performances and results.

There's one thing though, Beckham is a kind of player that can easily prove people wrong. I'm not going to say anything against him because I know he could actually help us win games.
Tennie
There's an article in Mediaset today that says that Beckham won't play the Roma game as he's not match fit. Yet they will field him against Hamburg in the friendly.
MizNelson
QUOTE (milannews.it)
Clarence Seedorf likes to joke about Beckham: "I know that he will be a disaster for us, he is incapable to insert himself in the squad, he is creating so many problems every day..."

You really think that deep down inside, Clarence isn't joking?
Tennie
I dunno, Miz, I really don't. Something tells me that our beloved Turtle is smart enough not to say something like that - not seriously - in front of a bunch of microphones with Kaka, Ancelotti, Beckham, et al standing nearby. For fairness' sake, here's the second half of the quote (this translation taken from acmilan.com):

A laugh, and then the serious answer: 'No, he's fantastic, a great professional, a man of the world like me, so he has the social intelligence to insert himself in a new environment. It's also true that our team is good at making the new arrivals feel right at home. I still think some patience is needed and expectations should not be too high for him because also experienced players need time to get used to a new environment. He doesn't have much time. We will do what we can to make him an added value during the brief time he will be with us.'
mishie
the only thing i disagree with from what Clarence said is the fact he won't be here for a brief spell, he/they will extend his contract of this i'm positive wink.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Jan 4 2009, 08:33 PM) *
You really think that deep down inside, Clarence isn't joking?

He's just annoyed that there is yet another reason that he isn't going to be the centre of attention.
acid911
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 5 2009, 05:09 AM) *
He's just annoyed that there is yet another reason that he isn't going to be the centre of attention.

+1. Truth. Unfortunately.
Zed.D
Seedorf is.. weird.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 5 2009, 12:09 AM) *

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 5 2009, 04:22 AM) *
+1. Truth. Unfortunately.

+2 smile.gif
dst
I believe he's just joking.
Zed.D
I believe it was not a good joke at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.