Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milan scudetto 1978-79
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Fillipo Simone
AC MILAN 1978/1979

Campione d'Italia 1979; Albertosi, Chiodi, Morini, Bigon, Sartori, Rigamonti;
(from left to right) Collovati, Boldini, De Vecchi, coach Liedholm, Bet, Maldera, Capello, second coach Gasparini;
Carotti, Buriani, Rivera, Antonelli, Baresi, Novellino

Notable players:

Milan players - apps./goals

Aldo Maldera 30/9
Enrico Albertosi 30/0
Franco Baresi 30/0
Walter Novellino 30/4
Ruben Buriani 29/1
Walter De Vecchi 28/5
Fluvio Collovati 27/0
Alberigo Bigon 26/12
Stefano Chiodi 24/7
Roberto Antonelli 21/5
Aldo Bet 17/0
Giorgio Morini 14/1
Simone Boldini 14/1
Gianni Rivera 13/1
Fabio Capello 8/0
Giovanni Sartori 7/0
Alberto Minoia 2/1
Antonio Rigamonti 1/0

Milan season stats:

Finished 1st (44 points; second placed Perugia 41)
Milan's 10th scudetto - lo scudetto della stella
17 W/10 D/3 L
goal diff. - 46:19 (best attack in the leage, second best defense after Perugia)
biggest win - Milan-Cantanzaro 4:0; Milan-Fiorentina 4:1

other league stats:

Perugia's best ever finish - 2nd in Serie A
Capocannonieri - Bruno Giordano (Lazio)
Perugia's defense finished up conceeding only 16 goals, leaded by Antonio Ceccarini

Milan captain and legend Gianni Rivera ended his career with this scudetto

Soon to be Milan-captain Franco Baresi's second season with the Rossoneri

So, thank's to Tennie's Sacchi-Milan post we got to the idea to make more threads. Initially the Capello thread was next to be made, but I wanted to test the idea with you and so I decided to start with one that is a bit more simple.

Any additional info, questions, adds, etc. go here or you can PM me. All the talks about the former players (well except Capello and Baresi who got their own threads) and the Italian-football 70ties...please here!
acid911
Great idea and thread, Fillipo (minus the hard-to-read font choice). cool.gif Here are the results from all Milan matches, the ones on the left being before the winter break, and the scores to the right are for the return legs:

1-0 Milan-Avellino 0-1
0-3 Roma-Milan 0-1
0-0 Milan-Ascoli 1-0
1-3 Atalanta-Milan 1-1
4-1 Milan-Fiorentina 3-2
1-0 Juventus-Milan 0-0
1-0 Milan-Inter 2-2
2-3 Vicenza-Milan 0-0
1-1 Napoli-Milan 1-0
1-1 Milan-Perugia 1-1
1-0 Milan-Torino 3-0
1-3 Verona-Milan 1-2
4-0 Milan-Catanzaro 3-1
0-1 Bologna-Milan 0-0
2-0 Milan-Lazio 1-1

This was Milan's tenth Scudetto, meaning the club was allowed to wear the star after this (the symbol of ten badges). What's more amazing is Franco Baresi playing all 30 matches, starting from into his second season. king.gif We were allowed into the group stages of the CL, the other five into the UEFA Cup. Here is the standings table:

A pity for Perugia, though, who finished the season without losing a single match. They were excluded from Serie A because of financial trouble in 2005. unsure.gif A new heir club was born, now called Perugia Calcio, which finds itself in the depths of Serie C1. Got promoted this year into B where they finished 5th season.

An interesting trivia, this was the same club that famously criticized it's player (Ahn Jung-Hwan of South Korea) after his goal in the 2002 World Cup against Italy. Paolo's last match. Other famous players to play here were Hidetoshi Nakata (Japans first major international star), and Al-Saadi Qadhafi, the son of Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi.
Fillipo Simone
Thanks acid.. wink.gif I expect more comments from the others as well...

And yes, I'll change the font for the next one.

This scudetto is called "star scudetto" because of the star we got after winning 10 of them.

Talking about Perugia and their stars, we have to mention also Matrix, Marco Negri and the croatian Milan Rapaic. From Milan players who once wore the Perugia dress we should mention Sebastiano Rossi, Zeljko Kalac, Federico Giunti and Rino Gattuso.

Also, this season introduced Claudio Prandelli in the Atalanta dress.

acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 22 2008, 02:21 PM) *
Thanks acid.. I expect more comments from the others as well...

People aren't that much into history, as you and me. They leave it to the big boys. smile.gif To be brutally honest, they should be. There is no future unless you know about your history, and that's true with everything from football clubs to nations, and computers to dirty underwear.
kurtsimonw
Wow, how unlucky were Perugia!? Not losing a game and only conceeding 16 goals, but no title? That's got to hurt. Oh well. biggrin.gif

There was an awful lot of draws back then.
acid911
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 22 2008, 03:41 PM) *
Wow, how unlucky were Perugia!? Not losing a game and only conceeding 16 goals, but no title? That's got to hurt. Oh well.

Sounds almost like the current Milan. biggrin.gif Minus the losing a game part, we've lost two.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (acid911 @ Nov 22 2008, 01:02 PM) *
Sounds almost like the current Milan. biggrin.gif Minus the losing a game part, we've lost two.

Mmmh the '78/79 Perugia had terrible goal-scoring problems. Speggiorin (? never heard) was their first striker with 9 goals...

One question I wanted to ask months ago, and now seems the proper time - Juve, Cremonese, Foggia and Inter player Erminio Favalli...is he Giuseppe's father, or a relative of him? Erminio was a very good defender in the late 60ties. Also, Giuseppe started his career at Cremonese, were Erminio was coach or assistaint coach that time?

Oh...acid...yes, I think people underestimate history, but I'd say it's the usual mistake.
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 22 2008, 04:09 PM) *
One question I wanted to ask months ago, and now seems the proper time - Juve, Cremonese, Foggia and Inter player Erminio Favalli...is he Giuseppe's father, or a relative of him? Erminio was a very good defender in the late 60ties. Also, Giuseppe started his career at Cremonese, were Erminio was coach or assistaint coach that time?

I don't think he was the father, or related to Favster in any way. unsure.gif Besides Erminio never was a coach, though he served as the director of football both with Cremonese and Palermo. As for the second question, yes he launched the career of Giuseppe and other players such as Gianluca Vialli, Attilio Lombardo while his time there, but related he was not.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 22 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Oh...acid...yes, I think people underestimate history, but I'd say it's the usual mistake.

FACT. cool.gif History is the shizzle!
Fillipo Simone
Thanks, it bothered me for a while... smile.gif

acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 22 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Thanks, it bothered me for a while...

It's nothing. wink.gif Besides, if he was related we'd have heard something coming from Milan seeing as Erminio died earlier this year on April 18, 2008 (aged 64). Something certainly would have come out from both the club, or at the very least Giuseppe were he his father.

Anyway, Erminio was a decent, if not spectacular, player of his time.
Fillipo Simone
Actually, now that you said he died recently I found this italian article:
CALCIO: MORTO ERMINIO FAVALLI, EX JUVE, INTER E PALERMO
PALERMO (ITALPRESS) - E' scomparso improvvisamente questa mattina all'eta' di 64 anni l'ex giocatore e direttore sportivo Erminio Favalli, stroncato da un infarto. E' lo zio del difensore ex laziale, oggi al Milan, Giuseppe Favalli. Erminio Favalli nasce a Cremona il 29 gennaio 1944. Cresciuto nella Cremonese, si trasferisce all'Inter nell'estate del 1964 (vincendo uno scudetto) e dai nerazzurri e' ceduto al Foggia. Da li' il passaggio alla Juventus che lo preleva per la stagione 1966-67. In bianconero si ferma per quattro anni e colleziona 85 presenze (60 in campionato, 14 in Coppa Italia e 11 nelle competizioni europee) segnando 5 reti (2 in campionato e 3 nelle Coppe europee). "Favalli e' un giocatore impastato di estro e non privo di tecnica veloce, cioe' istintiva - diceva di lui Heriberto Herrera - che e' tutto forza e poco calcolo, che e' una forza della natura". Favalli disputa poi una stagione in serie B al Mantova (una rete in 30 presenze), quindi nella stagione 1971-72 il trasferimento al Palermo dove resta sino alla stagione 1976-77. In rosanero Favalli, tornante dotato di grande estro e creativita', colleziona in sei stagioni in serie B 183 presenze segnando in tutto 6 reti. (ITALPRESS). 18-Apr-08 12:37 NNNN

So it seems he was his uncle. But it's the only article I found mentioning that.
mishie
I take exception to the history and the big boys comment!!

i take the history of this club very serioulsy thank you dry.gif
anyways me and Tennie were discssing the Sacchi Milan team after the Lecce game and i've got a idea or 2 and will mention them at a later date wink.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 22 2008, 07:53 PM) *
So it seems he was his uncle. But it's the only article I found mentioning that.

Thanks for the heads up. smile.gif

QUOTE (mishie @ Nov 22 2008, 11:36 PM) *
I take exception to the history and the big boys comment!!
i take the history of this club very serioulsy thank you

You're welcome. cool.gif And congrats on your lifetime membership to the big boys club!
mishie
QUOTE (acid911 @ Nov 23 2008, 06:03 AM) *
You're welcome. cool.gif And congrats on your lifetime membership to the big boys club!

hehe thanks will roll out some ideas in the next week or so wink.gif
acid911
QUOTE (mishie @ Nov 23 2008, 02:24 PM) *
hehe thanks will roll out some ideas in the next week or so

Can't wait. graduated.gif
Fillipo Simone
29/11/2008 16:52

Former Milan Player Petrini Reveals Culture Of Doping

A former Milan player has admitted he and other players in Milan were subject to doping in the 1960's and 70's.
Sixty-year-old Carlo Petrini says that he and others were part of a culture of doping at the Rossoneri that was forced upon them by the then management, in a time when the long term affects of performance enhancers were largely unknown.

The former player revealed, “As well as being given medicine, I was also a victim of doping. I say victim, because to me that's what I was.”

Petrini told Sky Sport 24, “The first time, the doctor, masseur and coach came into the dressing room. The doctor had a vial in his hands which looked like a bottle of Orangina with a soft stopper. At that time disposable syringes didn't exist so big glass syringes that were boiled up along with the needles were used. That day, the needle went into the vial five times before being injected into five different thighs.”

Petrini continued, “It was only afterwards that we realised what we'd been given because whether it was running, jumping, or going for goal we had energy to burn. We felt fresh and just didn't run out of energy. Every day there were injections going around.”

Petrini, who in 2001 published a book in which he slammed past doping practices in the game, said, “Sometimes your tongue was so swollen it filled the entire mouth. We had to run around with our mouths open. At the end of the match we thought it would end there, but you had so much energy left you couldn't sit still. At three or four in the morning, when fatigue started to set in, you'd fall asleep on the spot.”

Petrini said his reason for speaking out is the lack of accountability from the club's past management.

Peter Pedroncelli

Well it's the same management that brought us to being relegated. But...is he talking of Nereo Rocco - mentioning the coach??
acid911
And I thought only Juve were dopes. dry.gif Now this.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (acid911 @ Nov 30 2008, 12:26 PM) *
And I thought only Juve were dopes. dry.gif Now this.

Naah, 70ties and 60ties...pretty much everyone did it.
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 30 2008, 08:00 PM) *
Naah, 70ties and 60ties...pretty much everyone did it.

Not good for the game. sad.gif Good thing they crack it now, WADA (World Anti Doping Agency).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.