Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beckham
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Players > Past Players
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Zed.D
He is going to wear the Rossoneri shirt, isn't he? rolleyes.gif

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Blog: The Becks trade

The news that Milan have secured David Beckham's services has been met with widespread enthusiasm, but Paul Watson offers some words of warning

Within 24 hours, a wild rumour had become widely accepted as fact - Beckham is on his way to Milan. On the surface, it seems to be a win-win situation. The ex-Manchester United star will finally realise his dream of wearing the Rossoneri shirt and can keep in shape for his England commitments while the Diavolo have added an extra weapon for three months without having to write a cheque.

However, I couldn't help but feel uneasy as Adriano Galliani proudly announced his latest swoop. Maybe it was because the shiny-headed transfer guru described Milan as a “product”, maybe it was because he sounded more concerned with whether Beckham would put bums on seats than whether the 33-year-old could still play. Whatever it was, the whole deal just didn't sit right.

The major worry is that the Rossoneri are in danger of becoming the San Siro State Circus. Like a mad professor, Galliani seems determined to collect football's most recognisable faces, regardless of their current condition. If Ronaldinho was a gamble, Andriy Shevchenko was shameless nostalgia and Beckham seems to be one for the sticker album.

While Serie A may regain the world's gaze with Beckham on board, the viewers will be tuning in for the wrong reasons. English, German and Spanish fans may watch, but they will do so with a slight smirk on their faces. Surely it would be much better for Milan to be seen as a hotbed of fresh talent rather than a retirement home?

Instead, the likes of Alberto Paloschi and Yoann Gourcuff have already had to leave to play their football elsewhere and the presence of Beckham will see still more fledgling starlets pushed further into the periphery - it's a trade-off the outgoing world champions can't afford to make if they want a successful future.

Milan may not have to pay a penny for Beckham, but when young talent is pushed deeper into the closet there's no such thing as a free transfer.

Channel4
Rivaldo
It is a bit early to say 'Becks-Rossoneri' I think.
dst
Until Becks proves me wrong, this is the most shameless deal ever.
jorgejesus
Beckham no debería ir al MILAN.....ya está viejo y lo que falta es sangre nueva
dst
QUOTE (jorgejesus @ Oct 23 2008, 09:08 PM) *
Beckham no debería ir al MILAN.....ya está viejo y lo que falta es sangre nueva

WOW! A ****ing good translation for this from google

Beckham should not go to Milan ..... is already old and new blood is missing

And yeah, I agree.
Tennie
Moving this to the transfers section until it really is official.

(Fishdoll has grounded me because I've been naughty - it's all MizNelson's fault - but I'm able to sneak to the computer now and then. A cookie to Trini for noticing.wink.gif)
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 23 2008, 03:04 PM) *
Moving this to the transfers section until it really is official.

(Fishdoll has grounded me because I've been naughty - it's all MizNelson's fault - but I'm able to sneak to the computer now and then. A cookie to Trini for noticing.wink.gif)

Reciever of the first cookie since the return! cool.gif tongue.gif Woohoo
Rivaldo
We just earn money by Becks loan I think
TriniKing_CE
Blog: Welcome Beck
Milan claim they’ll sign David Beckham in January. Antonio Labbate reveals why Serie A should greet the Englishman with open arms

David Beckham is seemingly on his way to Milan. That’s the big news from Italy today after the club’s resident Doctor Evil, Adriano Galliani, raised his little finger to his mouth and announced that the England international would, in all likelihood, wear the Rossoneri jersey from January onwards. Altogether now, in your best Austin Powers voice: “That’s groovy baby!”

No matter which club touches your heart or whatever your opinions of David Beckham the man and the footballer are, Serie A fans in Italy and in this country should be rejoicing. In one swoop, the San Siro giants will have raised the profile of the Italian game to a level arguably not seen since the glorious 1990s.

As a PR exercise, there’s not that much wrong with luring the one-man marketing machine to the fashion capital of Europe. “We got 65,000 fans at the weekend for the Sampdoria game,” noted Galliani. “Milan is a product that people like and Beckham will see that number increase, not decrease.”

Adidas too, sponsors of Milan and Beckham, will be smiling widely this afternoon. And what about those British TV executives who snubbed the chance to secure Serie A rights despite the arrivals of Jose Mourinho and Ronaldinho? Perhaps the fragrance of Beckham will see them suddenly find the cash and the room in their schedules to give back the game that many fans on these shores lost over the summer.

On the footballing side of things, questions will inevitably be asked about the validity of such a switch. It would have undoubtedly made more sense for both parties if Beckham opted for Milan instead of LA in 2007, but it might just be a case of better late than never.

Milan’s mission to construct a living Hall of Fame may seem more like a corridor of uncertainty to some, but they have little to lose in this deal. Initial reports suggest that the club would get the 33-year-old for nothing which makes this swoop totally different from the Ronaldinho one. ‘Dinho, a player Milan didn’t need, cost around £18m. Beckham won’t.

Public opinion over his actual ability as a footballer continues to be split with some claiming he’s a myth, some a legend. I just believe that the guy knows what to do with a football and he’s humble and serious enough to accept a substitutes role, one which Fabio Capello seems to be carving out for him on the international stage. Carlo Ancelotti would do well to follow his lead.

Channel4 [atricle] ^
Bluesummers
to sell shirts nothing more. Then we sign a big name defender in the summer.
PatitoFeo
Becks is still dangerous on setpieces, a very important skill in Serie A matches. Also, given the possession and methodical pace of Serie A, his lack of footspeed may not be as much of a problem.

Beckhm aun sabe lanzar la pelota a balon parado, algo re codiciado en la Serie A. Tambien en Italia el ritmo de juego es un poco mas lento, asi k su falta de rapidez no deberia ser un problema grande.
Tennie
puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif

UFFICIALE: DAVID BECKHAM IN PRESTITO AL MILAN!
30/10/2008
MILANO - L'A.C.Milan comunica l'arrivo in prestito nella squadra rossonera del calciatore David Beckham. Accordo raggiunto e ufficiale: il campione inglese sarà rossonero a partire dal 7 Gennaio 2009, giorno di apertura delle liste.

[AC Milan announces the arrival on loan of David Beckham. The agreement is official: the English champion will be a rossonero starting on 7 January 2009, when the transfer window officially opens.]

There's no mention of how long the transfer's for.

Also... mad.gif Now I have to go find a Chiellini jersey for Fishdoll. He's going on strike for the duration of Beckham's stay at Milan.
mishie
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 30 2008, 06:14 PM) *
puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif

UFFICIALE: DAVID BECKHAM IN PRESTITO AL MILAN!
30/10/2008
MILANO - L'A.C.Milan comunica l'arrivo in prestito nella squadra rossonera del calciatore David Beckham. Accordo raggiunto e ufficiale: il campione inglese sarà rossonero a partire dal 7 Gennaio 2009, giorno di apertura delle liste.

[AC Milan announces the arrival on loan of David Beckham. The agreement is official: the English champion will be a rossonero starting on 7 January 2009, when the transfer window officially opens.]

There's no mention of how long the transfer's for.

Also... mad.gif Now I have to go find a Chiellini jersey for Fishdoll. He's going on strike for the duration of Beckham's stay at Milan.

should be until march when the MLS season restarts
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (mishie @ Oct 30 2008, 06:42 PM) *

gallaini said there is a chance of till end of season
Zed.D
QUOTE (mishie @ Oct 30 2008, 11:12 PM) *

But how? as it was mentioned before, the summer transfer season starts around July [I don't know exactly when!]. how can Beckham leave Milan and return to Galaxy in the middle of the season? I think he will be with us until the very last day of our season.
Tennie
It depends on the transfer window dates of the respective leagues. The transfer windows for MLS and Europe (including Serie A) are different. As I understand it, it could well be a 3 month (or less) transfer.
Tennie
"Il contratto è da scrivere ma l'accordo è raggiunto, David Bechkam sarà in prestito al Milan dal 7 gennaio fino all'inizio della Major League Soccer, quindi per circa due mesi e mezzo-tre mesi"

The above quote is from Galliani in Gazzetta's piece on the transfer.

'The contract has yet to be written but agreement has been reached, David Beckham will be on loan to MIlan from 7 January up to the start of Major League Soccer, which will be approximately 2.5 - 3 months.'
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Oct 30 2008, 07:03 PM) *
But how? as it was mentioned before, the summer transfer season starts around July [I don't know exactly when!]. how can Beckham leave Milan and return to Galaxy in the middle of the season? I think he will be with us until the very last day of our season.

u remember that larson loan transfer 2 years ago
milanisti
new galacticos haha
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 30 2008, 10:37 PM) *
It depends on the transfer window dates of the respective leagues. The transfer windows for MLS and Europe (including Serie A) are different. As I understand it, it could well be a 3 month (or less) transfer.

You mean Milan can release a player when the Serie A season is still running/it's not Europe's transfer window time? I'm still doubtful about it. unsure.gif but who cares. Beckham is coming here just to be used!! he is not part of our future.

Good luck with copying Real Madrid's Galaticos era, Galliani dry.gif
Tennie
Yep, zd. The release from transfer depends on the transfer window of the receiving league (in this case, MLS or in Henrik Larsson's case, the Swedish league).
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 31 2008, 12:34 AM) *
Yep, zd. The release from transfer depends on the transfer window of the receiving league (in this case, MLS or in Henrik Larsson's case, the Swedish league).

better biggrin.gif
Tennie
Hope that helped explain this disaster.

I really do feel physically ill about this. It's humiliating. puke.gif realmad.gif puke.gif realmad.gif
Rossoneri7
Time-line of the buildup till now:

- Capello informed Beckham that the MLS season's off period wont help Beckham be in shape for the Qualifiers and he recommended that he train to be fit, if he wanted to be selected for the England NT.

- Beckham approached Milan for training purposes only, but Galliani took it a step further and told Beckham that he could play for Milan if he wanted.

- Beckham agreed and so Milan underwent a loan agreement with LA.

Translated from todays local newspaper.
PatitoFeo
Yeah this is just like the Larsson United loan - leagues can have diff transfer windows, but that only affects when one can buy and the other can receive. MLS really needs to change its schedule though...
acid911
Beckham At Milan For Two Years?
David Beckham may extend his loan period at Milan and he could even sign a permanent two-year deal, according to Tuttomercatoweb...

The English midfielder will train and play for the Rossoneri at the beginning of January on a short-term loan deal while the MLS season takes its annual break.

His move to Serie A has caused plenty of hype and rife speculation which shows no sign of ending, as Tuttomercatoweb claims the Englishman may even extend his deal with the Italian giants to keep his hopes of making World Cup 2010 with the three lions alive.

Reports suggest Becks is desperate to keep his place with England and impress an unforgiving Fabio Capello.

The coach has always warned his players regarding their chances and the midfielder is in no position to see his chances go up in smoke and, with that in mind, Beckham would prefer to stay on in Milan to boost his chances of making South Africa.

It will probably be his last major tournament and a permanent stay with Milan, where top European football will help him, could be the answer to guaranteeing his chances with the England national team.

The Rossoneri have always stated their stance on Becks and they would love to see him remain.

Source
TriniKing_CE
...Lets just see how the loan period goes first!
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Oct 31 2008, 08:16 AM) *
Time-line of the buildup till now:

- Capello informed Beckham that the MLS season's off period wont help Beckham be in shape for the Qualifiers and he recommended that he train to be fit, if he wanted to be selected for the England NT.

- Beckham approached Milan for training purposes only, but Galliani took it a step further and told Beckham that he could play for Milan if he wanted.

- Beckham agreed and so Milan underwent a loan agreement with LA.

Translated from todays local newspaper.

Only just saw this now, but thanks for the info!
acid911
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Nov 3 2008, 11:44 PM) *
...Lets just see how the loan period goes first!

So then provided it goes well, you'd be open for an extended transfer? huh.gif I know you're not Mr. B, but still!
dst
Won't happen.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (acid911 @ Nov 3 2008, 03:16 PM) *
So then provided it goes well, you'd be open for an extended transfer? huh.gif I know you're not Mr. B, but still!

If the loan period does go well, lets just say in that case, I won't be against an extended stay.
....Lets leave it at that!
Ry4n
Found this article today not a bad read enjoy !! smile.gif

The Beckham effect

By Greg Duke
For CNN

LONDON, England (CNN) -- It is easy to see what attracted David Beckham to the San Siro, but it is a lot harder to determine exactly what the veteran England midfielder will bring to the AC Milan line-up.

Beckham stands to benefit hugely from his two-month move to Milan, but what does the club get?

For Beckham's part, his loan move from parent club LA Galaxy in January, albeit only until the MLS season kicks off again in March, is a complete no-brainer.

The advantages for Beckham are endless. He gets to play for a top European side, keeps himself match-fit while the MLS is in hibernation, and remains on the radar of England coach Fabio Capello who, as a former Milan coach, will be able to keep a vigilant eye on developments in Italy.

There is also the added advantage of Milano's high standing within the world of fashion to keep Mrs Beckham satisfied during the winter season.

The key for Beckham is that he loves playing for his country and would do anything to extend his international career. He currently possesses 107 caps, just one away from the English record for an outfield player, held by the legendary World Cup-winning captain Bobby Moore.

Therefore a short stint in Serie A, the one league he hasn't chanced his arm in yet, was always going to be an attractive proposition for Beckham.

But where will he fit in at top-of-the-table Milan, who are starting to have a "Galaticos" look about them once again.

Last season was a complete disaster for the Rossoneri, finishing outside the Champions League places and humiliated by Arsenal in Europe, a result that highlighted how old and wooden-legged the squad had become.

Despite these failures, the pressure on coach Carlo Ancelotti was almost non-existent. The longest-serving coach in Serie A, Ancelotti is granted hero-like status at the San Siro, after achieving two Champions Leagues and one Scudetto during his seven-year tenure.

Yet, more than anybody, Ancelotti knew some of the veterans in his creaking squad had to go. And they did...

Brazilian defenders Cafu (38) and Serginho (37), reserve goalkeeper Valerio Fiori (39), Croatian defender Dario Simic (32), midfielders Cristian Brocchi (32) and Ibrahim Ba (34) and injury-plagued striker Ronaldo (32) were all shipped out along with under-performing, if a lot younger, striker Alberto Gilardino.

In their place arrived the much-younger Arsenal pair Mathieu Flamini and Philippe Senderos, Italy right-back Gianluca Zambrotta and the returning hero Andrei Shevchenko from Chelsea.

But perhaps, more significantly, Ancelotti gave a home to the wayward talent of Ronaldinho. The Brazilian maestro may have lost his way at the Nou Camp, but he is still only 28, and his incisive link-up play with compatriot Kaka has worked a treat for Milan. In fact, it was Ronaldinho's free-kick against Napoli that was deflected in for an own goal to send Milan back to the top of the table for the first time in four years.

The Ronaldinho-Kaka axis will be integral to Milan's hopes this season and Beckham's arrival will not change that, but all along the midfield and attack, Milan look to be top-heavy with players.

Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Massimo Ambrosini, Clarence Seedorf, Flamini, Emerson and Alexandre Pato are all vying for three places, if you assume that the Brazilian pair will be joined in attack by either Shevchenko, Marco Borriello or Pippo Inzaghi. Throw Beckham into the mix, and it becomes even more confusing.

Despite the summer clear-out of seven 30-somethings, there are still plenty of old-timers in the Milan squad -- and the imminent arrival of 33-year-old Beckham further proves that Ancelloti has a soft spot for the more mature footballer.

Yet even the wily Ancelotti will be aware that he has an embarrassment of riches at his disposal and that Beckham is by no means guaranteed a regular starting place, especially if Milan continue to lead the way come January.

Beckham's stay will be for just two months and it could be a major gamble for Ancelotti to change a winning team just to accommodate a player for eight weeks -- even if he still remains one of the best dead-ball experts in world football.

Beckham certainly needs Milan, but do Milan need Beckham?

Link: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/football...f=intlOnlyonCNN
Tennie
Thanks for posting that, rhy! Interesting read.

Warchant may know more about this than I because I tend to mostly ignore the MLS stuff, but I think I recall reading that the LA Galaxy fans are in no way happy about the transfer and have been calling Beckham out for being a 'traitor'.
TriniKing_CE
Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Massimo Ambrosini, Clarence Seedorf, Flamini, Emerson and Alexandre Pato huh.gif are all vying for three places
acid911
What's so strange about that? huh.gif Things aren't meant to be understood as long as Carlo is our coach, he does makes some very strange choices, and Pato being demoted to a forward role (as opposed to being a bonafide striker should be the least of our worries, really). But as long as we're winning, I won't complain. smile.gif Much.
dst
Why doesn't the MLS run normally from September to May anyway!?? unsure.gif
Tennie
It would interfere with pointy-ball football, dst. smile.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 4 2008, 03:13 PM) *

Thanks for clearing that up - I myself was wondering why for the odd season time.

'pointy-football' - LOL
dst
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 4 2008, 09:13 PM) *

I would have killed the guy who officially gave this as an excuse...
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 5 2008, 12:13 AM) *
It would interfere with pointy-ball football, dst.

I actually like to call that, um, soccer, Tennie. tongue.gif There's also a thingy called Rugby.
LaPalma
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 4 2008, 03:02 PM) *
Thanks for posting that, rhy! Interesting read.

Warchant may know more about this than I because I tend to mostly ignore the MLS stuff, but I think I recall reading that the LA Galaxy fans are in no way happy about the transfer and have been calling Beckham out for being a 'traitor'.

They have fans?
And how can Beckham be a traitor? He needs to play at the top level to make sure he still has his chances with England. As far as I know he still wants to play the next WC...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 5 2008, 09:46 AM) *
They have fans?
And how can Beckham be a traitor? He needs to play at the top level to make sure he still has his chances with England. As far as I know he still wants to play the next WC...

Yeah, not sure how he's a traitor in this either.

Anyways, Tennie, could you translate this, or at least just the general picture of what he's saying. I know he says Milan and Beckham, but that's pretty much all I got. biggrin.gif
MizNelson
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 5 2008, 01:46 AM) *
They have fans?

LOL! Probably the few who didn't suddenly become supporters upon Becks' arrival.

The MLS doesn't need pointy football to draw away viewers; they've been doing that by themselves for quite some time now.
Tennie
'I'm not surprised he's going to Milan because Milan is a great team and David Beckham is a great name and a great player because he still plays with the English national team so it's not a big surprise for me. Ronaldinho's there, Ronaldo was there, when I played there Rivaldo was there. Milan likes to have big name players. I'm sure he'll do well because he's a great player who still has a great desire to play and according to me, he'll do well.'

(More or less direct translation of what he said. He speaks lovely, unaccented Italian, btw).
m1ke
Beckham was a great player. I haven't followed him since he moved to Galaxy, but I still think he'll be a valuable player for us after the winter break. He never really relied on his pace so I'm not buying the 'he's too old' line.
kurtsimonw
Thanks Tennie.

I think Serie A will really suit the way Beckham plays to be honest. He's good on the ball and is a great passer, with very good range, so I'm sure he'll have something to offer the team if he plays. But for all we know he's only make a few late cameo appearances to sell the shirts.
TriniKing_CE
Berlusconi Jnr: Beckham Is A Modern Day Hero
Pier Silvio Berlusconi has described David Beckham as a modern day hero and he cannot wait for the English midfielder to join the club in 2009...

Former Real Madrid man David Beckham is set to arrive on loan at Milan in the new year for a three-month period, and there is great excitement surrounding the Italian giants.

Milan president Silvio Berlusconi's son, Pier Silvio, has hailed Becks with praise, and believes the arrival of the LA Galaxy star will bring something special to the club.

"Beckham? He is a modern day hero," Berlusconi told Il Corriere Dello Sport.

"Will he stay on permanently? We will see.

"Ronaldinho? When I first heard about 'Dinho I wasn't too enthusiastic but the move has brought us great things.

"We hope the same happens with Beckham."

It is believed the English star will only stay on loan for a short period while the MLS season enjoys its annual break.

However, a number of reports around the peninsula suggest Milan are trying hard to lure the player for a longer spell at the club.

Goal.com - Beckham praised by Berlusconi Jr.
acid911
I smell a rat. unsure.gif A dirty little rat. If things work out, I can see Beckham here for a longer time.
TriniKing_CE
LOL - guess I'm not the only one in that case!
acid911
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Nov 20 2008, 09:48 AM) *
LOL - guess I'm not the only one in that case!

Money talks, my friend. tongue.gif And talks big. Getting a player like Beckham in the fashion capital of the world, and you get my drift, yeah? $$$. £££. €€€.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.