Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiorentina-Milan -- 08/10/08
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 08/09
Tennie
(from acmilan.com)

MILANO - ACF Fiorentina e AC Milan si affronteranno mercoledì 8 ottobre allo stadio "Franchi" di Firenze in una gara di beneficenza per Stefano Borgonovo. L’ex giocatore viola e rossonero attraversa infatti un difficilissimo momento per la malattia che da alcuni anni lo affligge, la Sclerosi Laterale Amiotrofica (SLA). In campo ci saranno i calciatori del Milan e della Fiorentina non convocati in Nazionale e anche ex compagni di squadra di Stefano Borgonovo.
Fiorentina e Milan invitano tutti i tifosi ad assistere numerosi all’incontro. Il ricavato della partita verrà infatti devoluto in beneficenza per finanziare le ricerche sul morbo di Lou Gehrig.

[On Wednesday October 8 at the Franchi in Florence, ACF Fiorentina and AC Milan will play a charity friendly for Stefano Borgonovo. The former Milan and Fiorentina player is suffering from ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease; Arterial Lateral Sclerosis). Playing in the game will be players not called up for their respective national sides along with some former teammates of Borgonovo. Fiorentina and Milan invite all fans to come to the game. Gate receipts from the game will be donated to finance research for a cure to the disease.]

Borgonovo was interviewed by Sky a couple of days ago and it sent shockwaves through Italy. I vaguely remember the guy from the late 80s at Milan. He was a good striker but now he's confined to a bed and in really bad shape. His interview was a plea for more research into the disease to be done.

Here's Channel 4's explanation of the whole thing:

Milan and Fiorentina will contest a testimonial friendly for Stefano Borgonovo, an ill player who played for both clubs.

Borgonovo is suffering from motor neurone disease - the same illness that killed Genoa hero Gianluca Signorini in 2002.

The 44-year-old former striker enjoyed the most successful season on his career on loan from Milan to Fiorentina in 1988-89 when he scored 14 goals playing alongside Roberto Baggio.

The Milan native spent the 1989-90 campaign behind Marco Van Basten in the pecking order, but he picked up a European Cup winner's medal.

After retiring in 1996, Borgonovo began coaching at Como but had to retire three years ago as his illness took hold of him.

The fixture between Milan and Fiorentina will be played on October 8 at the Stadio Artemio Franchi.
Tennie
If former teammates are going to play in this one, I wonder who's going to coach Milan.

Borgonovo was at Milan during the Sacchi era, so we could see the likes of Baresi, Costacurta, Albertini, Donadoni, Evani, Massaro, Gullit, Rijkaard, and Van Basten -- in addition to the current Milan head coach and his two assistants (Ancelotti, Tassotti, Galli).

Baggio was Borgonovo's strike partner at Fiorentina so he may make an appearance too.
acid911
Seems very interesting. cool.gif Wonder if they'll show it on steam? Note to self: Can't miss this one!
Zed.D
I didn't know Borgonovo before, but I felt terrible when I looked at his picture. this world is so cruel..
morgoth
Any one knows if the game is going to be shown on TV?
Tennie
There's no news about that yet, morgoth. Given the publicity Borgonovo's interview is getting in the Italian media, I'm willing to bet that either Sky or RAI will show it. Whether it's shown outside that, I dunno.
morgoth
So did Milan play this game or not?! unsure.gif
Tennie
It's in October, Morgoth.smile.gif
morgoth
Oups! I've just seen the 08 tongue.gif
Tennie
(from calciomercato)

So there's still a good bit of talk about this game in the press. Apparently, Borgonovo's teammates are keeping in contact with him about the game. According to Calciomercato, Donadoni emailed him that Van Basten may take part in the game. Borgonovo's response: 'I hope he's busy that day or I'll be on the bench this time too.'

Shows the guy, despite the devastating illness, has a good sense of humor. When he was at Milan, Borgonovo was the guy who usually came on for Van Basten.
Zed.D
His sense of humor made me kinda sad.
Jack Sparrow
^^

unsure.gif I thought it was a pretty good joke.
vahid
FIORENTINA-MILAN: THE CALLED UP PLAYERS

MILAN - Here is the official list of the called up players for tonight's friendly in Florence: Goalkeepers: Dida Kalac; Defenders: Maldini, Albertazzi Pasini Antonini Darmian; Midfielders: Emerson, Ambrosini, Cardacio, Gianola; Strikers: Ronaldinho, Viudez, Seedorf, Angelilli

acid911
So the day is finally here! sad.gif I hope they raise good money for him.
Jack Sparrow
Ooh..another match...against Viola. devil.gif

KILL!!
KILL!!
KILL!!
KILL!!
KILL!!

Oh wait...charity match?? unsure.gif

LOVE!!
LOVE!!
LOVE!!
LOVE!!
LOVE!!

han2503
Anybody know if there is any kind of stream for this macth?
acid911
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 8 2008, 10:48 PM) *
Anybody know if there is any kind of stream for this macth?

None, yet. sad.gif
han2503
QUOTE (acid911 @ Oct 8 2008, 05:58 PM) *
None, yet. sad.gif

I checked Milan channel and the mediaset channels, but it won't be aired on any of those either
CrazyMilanFan
has this game started finished or what?
vahid
FIRENZE - Queste le formazioni di Fiorentina e Milan che scenderanno in campo nel primo tempo della partita 'Tutti per Stefano Borgonovo', in scena questa sera al 'Franchi' di Firenze:

FIORENTINA: Storiari; Comotto, Da Costa, Dainelli, Pasqual; Donadel, Felipe Melo, Almiron; Semioli, Pazzini, Iachini.

MILAN: Dida; Tassotti, Albertini, Baresi, Maldini; Emerson, Costacurta, Ambrosini, Donadoni, Ronaldinho, Massaro
gal_kenny
http://www.justin.tv/spok88

for those who wanna watch the game
acid911
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 8 2008, 11:06 PM) *
I checked Milan channel and the mediaset channels, but it won't be aired on any of those either

Try this one: smile.gif By the way, it's 3-1 Fiorentina at half time. Massaro with the lone goal for us. I shouldn't really say this, but Barsei, unfortunately, playing a little crap - he was to blame for the second goal. The link that's been working fine for me:

Milan vs Fiorentina Friendly
The Stefano Borgonovo Match @ MyP2P.eu

PS. The guy is in the stadium, along with the Italian NT and a full stadium! sad.gif Forza Borgonovo! Seems like a great guy, smiling and all. Hope he recovers!
acid911
Match restarted. laugh.gif Who's up for an honorable draw, seeing that the combined age of our defense alone is around 185 years? I just hope we score one more goal at least, and round off the night.
Darunia
Tassotti still looks in good shape... better than Emerson tongue.gif

Zed.D
Is Darmian finally seeing some action or what??
acid911
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Oct 9 2008, 01:42 AM) *
Is Darmian finally seeing some action or what??

So many people coming and going from each team, it's very hard to tell. unsure.gif Still 3-1 to Viola after 70' mins.
gal_kenny
someone for fiorentina scored but twas with his hand..twas kinda funny..now its 4-1
acid911
Scratch that. 4-1 Fiorentina! sad.gif Oh, my!
gal_kenny
all dat matters right now is dat they find a cure for Borgonovo
gal_kenny
final score 4-1
acid911
cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif A standing ovation for Borgonovo from the everyone including the crowd!
acid911
Funny no one wants to sack Carlo after this match! 4-1 is still 4-1. tongue.gif Anyway, I hope the raise good money both for the Superman (Borgonovo) and donation for research for the diseases as well.
Jack Sparrow
NO WAAAAYYYY!!!!

Somebody fire Carlo now. If we can't even beat a team half of whom are retired, this man should just quit and sit at home. Disgusting... dry.gif
acid911
That's the spirit, Captain! cool.gif What are you doing awake at close to 5:00 AM at your time? Very late at night. Or don't tell me you are in the Caribbean, now? Joking aside, I don't care about the result, as long as the goal this match was scheduled is reached.
arivanjj
massaro goal
acid911
Lol @ Ari saving the day! tongue.gif I think this was the best charity match I've seen in a long time - the atmosphere was mind blowing. And lots and lots of stars were there. Paolo, Baggio and Dida - three of my top five - what more can a guy like me want?
MizNelson
QUOTE (acid911 @ Oct 8 2008, 04:43 PM) *
Lol @ Ari saving the day! tongue.gif I think this was the best charity match I've seen in a long time - the atmosphere was mind blowing. And lots and lots of stars were there. Paolo, Baggio and Dida - three of my top five - what more can a guy like me want?

There was a prematch ceremony in which Baggio wheeled Borgonovo (spelling?) onto the pitch. I'd watch it but I'm afraid I might start crying. I liked the patches on the backs of the jerseys. (BTW, I totally forgot that Storari was with Fiorentina.)

This will be the only match in Italy this season in which the match result doesn't mean a hill of beans. Hopefully some of the jerseys will be auctioned off to raise additional funds.
Zed.D
(Check out the match photos..)
acid911
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Oct 9 2008, 11:37 AM) *
There was a prematch ceremony in which Baggio wheeled Borgonovo (spelling?) onto the pitch. I'd watch it but I'm afraid I might start crying. I liked the patches on the backs of the jerseys. (BTW, I totally forgot that Storari was with Fiorentina.)

Baggio also wheeled Borgonovo around the stadium after the match ended. cry.gif And the guy was smiling (or trying to smile) all the way through. Not everyone understands, but these are the real heroes of our world, the Supermen, people who have to bear and go through much more than most of us combined!
Il Capitano
Damn I missed the revival of the best backline ever.
acid911
QUOTE (Il Capitano @ Oct 10 2008, 12:04 AM) *
Damn I missed the revival of the best backline ever.

Ditto. I was busy as a snowball in hell, but still I just had to take time out to watch this match! rolleyes.gif It was worth seeing just for Paolo and Baresi wearing the same uniforms. But more so for Borgonovo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.