Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Napoli-Milan-Juve -- 21/08/08
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 08/09
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tennie
Milan will take part in Trofeo Birra Moretti on 21 August at the San Paolo in Naples.
Tennie
This tournament is the day after the Italy-Austria friendly, so that presumably rules out Gattuso, Pirlo, Zambrotta and Bonera. For the same reason, Juve should be without Chiellini, Buffon, Del Piero, Iaquinta, Camoranesi, and Legrottaglie.

I shudder to think about what kind of lineup we'll put out.
gal_kenny
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 18 2008, 03:25 AM) *
This tournament is the day after the Italy-Austria friendly, so that presumably rules out Gattuso, Pirlo, Zambrotta and Bonera. For the same reason, Juve should be without Chiellini, Buffon, Del Piero, Iaquinta, Camoranesi, and Legrottaglie.

I shudder to think about what kind of lineup we'll put out.

I'm guessing it would be something like

--------------Abbiati-----

---Oddo----Ambrosini---Darmian---Favalli

-----Brocchi---Cardacio---Antonini

----------Seedorf---Viduez

-----------------Inzaghi

All our central defenders would be out...More reason to see why we need to buy a new central defender...Other milan players also have friendlies..(Flamini, Jankulovski)
Tennie
^^ Good point, gal kenny. The team (and Juve and to an extent Napoli) is going to be decimated.

In any event, today is a rest day for the team. No training will take place.
Fillipo Simone
Hey, did anyone actually tried that birra Moretti?
dst
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 18 2008, 04:26 PM) *

laugh.gif It's quite good.
Giancarlo
It's better than American water down stuff...

Tennie
Some American microbrews are actually half decent.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (gal_kenny @ Aug 18 2008, 02:56 AM) *
I'm guessing it would be something like

--------------Abbiati-----

---Oddo----Ambrosini---Darmian---Favalli

-----Brocchi---Cardacio---Antonini

----------Seedorf---Viduez

-----------------Inzaghi

All our central defenders would be out...More reason to see why we need to buy a new central defender...Other milan players also have friendlies..(Flamini, Jankulovski)

This one won't matter so much to me... as we will be lacking many of our first team players... we can get another defender from the youth squad or something so Ambrosini doesn't have to play defense... was Gattuso called up for that friendly?

Tennie that's true. I went to a great one in San Diego some time ago... but I'm talking more mainstream.
amancik
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 18 2008, 02:26 PM) *

Does this mean the winner gets to drink Birra Moretti?
Tennie
So Milan are without 8 players for this game (6 NT callups, the 2 Brazilians at the Olympics). The Zebras are down 10, for the same reasons. Napoli is down 4.
Rossoneri7
Well, I guess there is nothing more to prove. And in some way this team is just missing a single factor and that is a central defender. If Milan get one before the season starts, Milan will have a very competitive team.

As for this match, I think the team is gelling up well with the new players, as gal_kenny pointed out ... And it will be interesting to see them play, if the line up ends up to look like that.
Tennie
Well...there may be hope yet as far as playing the zebras. I looked at their callups and both Buffon and Manninger are out (for Italy and Austria respectively). That means they'll have Chimenti in goal again, unless they play their primavera keeper.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 18 2008, 05:43 PM) *
Well, I guess there is nothing more to prove. And in some way this team is just missing a single factor and that is a central defender. If Milan get one before the season starts, Milan will have a very competitive team.

As for this match, I think the team is gelling up well with the new players, as gal_kenny pointed out ... And it will be interesting to see them play, if the line up ends up to look like that.

You know I agree with you. I noticed something with Milan yesterday. Increasing levels of depth. The ability to field a competitive team even if six starting players were absent. The absence of Kaka in the past has been very damaging but now it appears there is enough depth to cover for him. It's very promising. Cardacio and Viudez will certainly have a hand in that game against Napoli, and no matter the result it will be positive for them. Yes we still have some dead weight in the squad, but hopefully that will be cut.

But we're on the verge of something here... if we get that central defender, the puzzle will be complete. And management has acknowledged that.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 19 2008, 01:09 AM) *
Well...there may be hope yet as far as playing the zebras. I looked at their callups and both Buffon and Manninger are out (for Italy and Austria respectively). That means they'll have Chimenti in goal again, unless they play their primavera keeper.

They may as well put Del Piero in goal. Let's face it, he can't be worse than Chimenti.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 19 2008, 03:20 AM) *
They may as well put Del Piero in goal. Let's face it, he can't be worse than Chimenti.

Chimenti is Serie C quality. I think we should do a goalkeeper loan for Juve again. Just for a day... just loan out Kalac... lol... laugh.gif He's better than Chimenti.
han2503
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 19 2008, 01:22 AM) *
You know I agree with you. I noticed something with Milan yesterday. Increasing levels of depth. The ability to field a competitive team even if six starting players were absent. The absence of Kaka in the past has been very damaging but now it appears there is enough depth to cover for him. It's very promising. Cardacio and Viudez will certainly have a hand in that game against Napoli, and no matter the result it will be positive for them. Yes we still have some dead weight in the squad, but hopefully that will be cut.

But we're on the verge of something here... if we get that central defender, the puzzle will be complete. And management has acknowledged that.

I agree with what you said except for the bold part, I think that in order for the puzzle to be fully complete we would need 2 really good quality central defenders (I would say just one but we know that Nesta and Paolo are way too injury prone to rely on them) and most importantly a great goal keeper. I know Abbiati has done really well so far but I just keep waiting for the first howler to come. Hopefully next summer the puzzle you speek of would be fully complete, especially going into (hopefully) the CL again. Next summer the transfer list should includ 1 center back (if we bring one this summer, if not then 2 should be brought in next summer), a top quality keeper and a true center forward. So 3 players next summer, especially if we make the CL and we would be back to competeing for all 3 competitions
Giancarlo
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 19 2008, 06:43 PM) *
I agree with what you said except for the bold part, I think that in order for the puzzle to be fully complete we would need 2 really good quality central defenders (I would say just one but we know that Nesta and Paolo are way too injury prone to rely on them) and most importantly a great goal keeper. I know Abbiati has done really well so far but I just keep waiting for the first howler to come. Hopefully next summer the puzzle you speek of would be fully complete, especially going into (hopefully) the CL again. Next summer the transfer list should includ 1 center back (if we bring one this summer, if not then 2 should be brought in next summer), a top quality keeper and a true center forward. So 3 players next summer, especially if we make the CL and we would be back to competeing for all 3 competitions

Perhaps two would be appropriate... but we shall see. From what we have seen this transfer season, was a great improvement with regards to depth. I don't think Abbiati will commit any major mistakes... I think he'll be a solid keeper, but as I said before... I'm in favor of a younger understudy joining Milan. We have to bring a defender this summer anyways...
Tennie
Abbiati has been solid so far, but he IS prone to the occasional Really Bad Day. The last time I saw him play live was the Calderon leg of the Madrid derby. I was sitting right behind his goal in the first half and, well, let's just say that he's played better.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 19 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Abbiati has been solid so far, but he IS prone to the occasional Really Bad Day. The last time I saw him play live was the Calderon leg of the Madrid derby. I was sitting right behind his goal in the first half and, well, let's just say that he's played better.

I think he's more suited for Italy...
Giancarlo
Question: This tournament has two games in one day for Milan... are they only 45 minutes like the TIM Trophy? Or are they full games?
han2503
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 19 2008, 07:01 PM) *
Question: This tournament has two games in one day for Milan... are they only 45 minutes like the TIM Trophy? Or are they full games?

I think it's like the TIM Cup
Tennie
It's like the TIM Cup.

Milan play the 2nd and 3d games, back to back.
acid911
I'm not quite sure I prefer these kinds of matches, Ten. smile.gif Sure they are good for the fans (as exhibition matches), but they do little to be a footballing spectacle. Playing against teams for 45 minutes is not my idea of fun. 90 minutes it should be.

Then again, these are friendlies, so I can't complain.
Tennie
Today's training has taken place.

After warmups, Carletto had his little chat. Then there were toning exercises. Kaladze took part in this phase of training with the group before training separately by doing 50 meter sprints.

The keepers trained separately.

Emerson, after warmups and Carletto's speech, joined Nesta, Borriello and Kaka in the gym for performance testing.

The rest of the players divided into groups that worked on passing moves. Following this were technical-tactical ball possession drills.

Finally there was a 7 v 7 practice game with Abbiati and Kalac in goal (Dida continued training with the goalkeeping coaches).

Il Capitano worked on strengthening exercises.

Tomorrow there'll be 2 training sessions and Carletto will give a press conference in advance of the Thursday games.

MizNelson
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 19 2008, 10:53 AM) *
Abbiati has been solid so far, but he IS prone to the occasional Really Bad Day.

Once in a blue moon, he'll have a horror show such as giving up five goals to Fiorentina while he was with Torino.

Has Buffon seen any action for Juve at all this preseason?
Giancarlo
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Aug 20 2008, 12:22 AM) *
Once in a blue moon, he'll have a horror show such as giving up five goals to Fiorentina while he was with Torino.

Has Buffon seen any action for Juve at all this preseason?

He's still better than Dida.
MizNelson
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 19 2008, 05:52 PM) *
He's still better than Dida.

Whatever, man.
Tennie
Buffon played one of the games in England. I'm pretty sure he's played a couple of other friendlies. He's on NT duty right now.
Zed.D
I hope the kids (Darmian, Viudez, Cardacio) get a real chance finally. especially Darmian for obvious reasons.
Jack Sparrow
I think they should. I'd go so far as to say, they should play both matches. Seedorf can sit this one out actually. I don't want him to exhaust all his mojo so early. I mean he actually turns up like 15-20 games a season, and so far he's already wasted 2 of them in pre-season. sad.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Aug 20 2008, 01:54 AM) *
Whatever, man.

biggrin.gif

I love your commitment to the Dida cause!
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 20 2008, 05:53 AM) *
I think they should. I'd go so far as to say, they should play both matches. Seedorf can sit this one out actually. I don't want him to exhaust all his mojo so early. I mean he actually turns up like 15-20 games a season, and so far he's already wasted 2 of them in pre-season. sad.gif

Seedorf is always on fire in pre-season, actually this pre-season has been a mellow one compared to previous ones for our very own turtle.
Jack Sparrow
^^

You think god forbid, he's actually planning on turning on turtle power in actual league? For teams outside the top 7?? ohmy.gif Nooo way!!! Coz Seedorf at his best could actually bench a three-quarters fit Kaka, and you know I'm not bluffing.

It just struck me...nobody who wins the berlusconi trophy wins the scudetto... sad.gif I think we'll win the UEFA cup and finish second. sad.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 20 2008, 02:11 PM) *
You think god forbid, he's actually planning on turning on turtle power in actual league? For teams outside the top 7?? Nooo way!!! Coz Seedorf at his best could actually bench a three-quarters fit Kaka, and you know I'm not bluffing.

Top 5, please. smile.gif Thank you.

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 20 2008, 02:11 PM) *
It just struck me...nobody who wins the berlusconi trophy wins the scudetto... I think we'll win the UEFA cup and finish second.

I'd say it's about time to rewrite history, then. cool.gif We've got the team to do just that, bare injuries and such.
Tennie
Carletto has given his prematch press conference. link

THE THREE WAY TOURNAMENT WITH NAPOLI AND JUVENTUS:

Tomorrow night we'll see some kids, we've got absences with national team players. We have the opportunity to let some young players like Darmian have game time as well as those who have played less such as Inzaghi, Brocchi, and Antonini. We can get indications from these games. Darmian will play one game as a centerback and one as a right back. Dida will play one game and Kalac the other. In defense we'll for sure have Darmian, Favalli and Antonini, and we'll choose from Albertazzi and Pasini. In midfield we'll have Cardacio, Brocchi and Ambrosini, in attack Seedorf, Paloschi and Inzaghi. Ambrosini will play the first game as a midfielder, then we'll see. Tomorrow we'll face adversaries worthy of respect, but the most important thing will be the audience. The stadium in Napli will be sold out and there'll be a lot of enthusiasm, it's right that the Neapolitans can help put on a good show.

RECUPERATIONS AND RETURNS
Emerson trained with the group for the first time today, he's doing well but it's still early for him to play, first he needs to do more work. Nesta has started training and is working separately. Ronaldinho? After the Olympics he'll return to Milanello, this is confirmed. The Brazil that faced Argentina was a little disappointing as a team. Pato played a little less while Ronaldinho (?not sure here) had the same difficulty as the rest of the time playing at a certain rhythm.

THE MARKET
The news about Shevchenko isn't official, he's still a Chelsea player. The rehabilitation of players? We're used to competition, sometimes it goes well, other times not. It depends on the motivation of the players when they come here, at Milan the management of players has never been a problem. A defender? Now we're getting players back: Kaladze and Maldini will return Sunday and in any case against Juve the defense did well even with a lot of absences. Ivanovic? For Chelsea, he's unsellable. In any case, in general, it's not certain that Shevchenko will arrive and it's not certain that the market is closed if Shevchenko does arrive.

---
Wow, so we'll get to see Darmian play. I wish I could watch the games -- but for those of you who haven't seen him, I'll be curious to know what you make of him. Ditto Albertazzi if he plays.

Fishdoll note: I'm very flattered that people think enough of my translations to post them on other boards. I'd be grateful, however, if you'd do me the courtesy of attributing the translations properly.
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 20 2008, 06:24 PM) *
In any case, in general, it's not certain that Shevchenko will arrive and it's not certain that the market is closed if Shevchenko does arrive.

Wow. ohmy.gif I don't know what to make of these two statements by the coach.
Tennie
MEDICAL REPORT link
Dr. Manara gave the following report on injuries:

MALDINI AND KALADZE: "Friday they'll train with the group, I think they'll both be completely available for the Sunday trip to Gijon."

NESTA: "He's started rehab with our physiotherapists and has done some work in the water. Both I and Dr. Meerseman have visited him and the situation is under control. There's no worsening and that's a good sign."

KAKA': "He's working very well, today he's running on a special serface. Results are good and we'll see how he does. His situation is clear and there's evident improvement."

BORRIELLO: "We're at a good point, the idea is that he'll be available for the second game of the season, given that he's suspended for the first. There's time for a complete recovery."

EMERSON: "He started normal training with the team today, but for him to play we need to wait for a special shin guard because he plays with a screw in his tibia."

Fishdoll note: I'm very flattered that people think enough of my translations to post them on other boards. I'd be grateful, however, if you'd do me the courtesy of attributing the translations properly.
dst
I really want to see Darmian and Albertazzi! smile.gif
Darmian will play two games? That's wonderful news...
I want to see Cardacio too. The Primavera kid Pasini will be a good surprise but I'd rather see Albertazzi...
MizNelson
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 19 2008, 11:00 PM) *
I love your commitment to the Dida cause!

LOL. Not necessarily in this case; Tennie had mentioned that Abbiati was prone to a bad match here and there, and I concurred. Then the Dida comment from out of nowhere. To me, it was like us discussing Lamborghinis and someone dropping in and saying Ferrari was better.

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow)
Seedorf can sit this one out actually. I don't want him to exhaust all his mojo so early. I mean he actually turns up like 15-20 games a season, and so far he's already wasted 2 of them in pre-season.

Classic.
acid911
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Aug 20 2008, 06:41 PM) *
LOL. Not necessarily in this case; Tennie had mentioned that Abbiati was prone to a bad match here and there, and I concurred. Then the Dida comment from out of nowhere. To me, it was like us discussing Lamborghinis and someone dropping in and saying Ferrari was better.

Classic. thumbup.gif
Tennie
Call ups:

Abbiati, Dida, Kalac
Antonini, Darmian, Favalli, Albertazzi (56), Pasini (53), Romagnoli (54), Ruggeri (55)
Ambrosini, Brocchi, Cardacio, Osuji (58), Strasser (51), Gianola (52)
Inzaghi, Paloschi, Seedorf, Viudez
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 20 2008, 05:38 PM) *
Call ups:

Abbiati, Dida, Kalac
Antonini, Darmian, Favalli, Albertazzi (56), Pasini (53), Romagnoli (54), Ruggeri (55)
Ambrosini, Brocchi, Cardacio, Osuji (58), Strasser (51), Gianola (52)
Inzaghi, Paloschi, Seedorf, Viudez

Oooo... might see more of Osuji. Sounds exciting. I think the call-ups are appropriate and playing more youngsters is the way to go.

i hear Kalac is going to play one game. Maybe he wants to save what little reputation he has left?
Tennie
Zebra call ups (listed by jersey number, not position):

7 Salihamidzic, 8 Amauri, 11 Nedved, 12 Chimenti, 13 Manninger, 20 Giovinco, 21 Grygera, 22 Sissoko, 24 De Paola, 27 Ekdal, 28 Molinaro, 29 De Ceglie, 30 Tiago, 33 Legrottaglie, 34 Pasquato, 35 Esposito, 36 Castiglia, 37 Duravia, 40 Rossi, 41 Ariaudo, 42 Pinsoglio

No Trezeguet.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 20 2008, 04:58 PM) *
Zebra call ups (listed by jersey number, not position):

7 Salihamidzic, 8 Amauri, 11 Nedved, 12 Chimenti, 13 Manninger, 20 Giovinco, 21 Grygera, 22 Sissoko, 24 De Paola, 27 Ekdal, 28 Molinaro, 29 De Ceglie, 30 Tiago, 33 Legrottaglie, 34 Pasquato, 35 Esposito, 36 Castiglia, 37 Duravia, 40 Rossi, 41 Ariaudo, 42 Pinsoglio

No Trezeguet.

Giovinco must be pretty upset right now... and tired... that's a long plane trip...

That formation seems pretty depleted... Pasquato and Amauri? No Del Piero either. If I read right.

I hope Juve plays Chimenti that's a guaranteed losing situation. You thought Kalac was bad lol...
Tennie
Del Piero is playing with the Azzurri today, Giancarlo.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 20 2008, 06:11 PM) *
Del Piero is playing with the Azzurri today, Giancarlo.

That's right. I forgot.
han2503
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 20 2008, 05:02 PM) *
Giovinco must be pretty upset right now... and tired... that's a long plane trip...

That formation seems pretty depleted... Pasquato and Amauri? No Del Piero either. If I read right.

I hope Juve plays Chimenti that's a guaranteed losing situation. You thought Kalac was bad lol...

laugh.gif laugh.gif I still remember the 05/06 match at the San Siro. He was all over the place, Seedorf and Pirlo's goals were hilarious
acid911
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 20 2008, 09:44 PM) *
i hear Kalac is going to play one game. Maybe he wants to save what little reputation he has left?

Has he? unsure.gif He's a good backup option when your first choice gets injured or misses matches. He's always been such. Would I still have him in Milanelo? Yes. But as just that. A good backup option.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 20 2008, 06:57 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif I still remember the 05/06 match at the San Siro. He was all over the place, Seedorf and Pirlo's goals were hilarious

You don't have to look that far back... just look a few days ago... smile.gif Chimenti committed some major mistakes...

Anyways, I see this friendly tournament as more of a chance for us to test out youth. I hope that Cardacio and Viudez maybe start...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.