Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Family Affair
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Zed.D
Blog: Family affair

Milan are well renowned as a family club, but Steve Wilson thinks their latest nepotistic signing has taken things too far
How far should you go to keep your employees happy? For Milan the answer appears to be to throw money at the friends and families of their superstars in order to keep them with a smile on their faces. The Rossoneri have recently offered a contract to Chedric Seedorf - the younger brother of midfielder Clarence. But is this really the way to run a successful club? For me this tendency is starting to become something of a joke.

The best punch line has already been written though by the Diavoli, and once again it involved Seedorf. Back in 2004 his close friend Harvey Esajas was offered a contract by the San Siro side while on a visit to the Dutchman, at the time he had been out of the game for three years and was working in a Spanish circus. With the signing of Kaka's brother Digão last term as well it has become something of a bizarre and all too regular trend at the club.

In 2007 the fear was that Real Madrid would tempt away Kaka, so the arrival of his sibling was a way to keep him sweet. This year the arrival of Ronaldinho reportedly put Seedorf in a spin, so again the resolution appears to have been to do the pouting primadonna a nepotistic favour. Shouldn't the honour of playing for Milan be enough for these men without having to get little treats to keep them happy? And how much self-respect can Seedorf Jnr have?

The 25-year-old has been through the youth systems at Ajax, Real Madrid and Inter - notice the common link between that trio - and his previous spell in Italy saw him at Legnano, where the chairman is his big bro's former Milan teammate Marco Simone. You can count the number of games he has played professionally on a polydactyl's hand. There can be absolutely no question at all that he wouldn't be in the Milan squad based on his own merit.

Most likely he will follow in the footsteps of Esajas and Digão and will make a cameo appearance when Milan enter the Coppa Italia in November. But what does that say to the real Primavera players who have worked hard to get within touching distance of the first XI? When pulling out of the Dutch Euro 2008 squad Seedorf spoke of wanting to protect his integrity. Where are those oh-so-important principles now as he makes a mockery again of the institution that pays his wages?

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_ita...blogs/sw44.html

I can't disagree with what this article says. I think our management are 'trying to look different' to be honest... which is irritating in THIS case.
Fillipo Simone
Well, Milan also has Davide Ancelotti, young Maldini and a couple of years ago George Weah Jr. also was listed as a player.

But I don't like the conclusions this article is bringing up.

and his previous spell in Italy saw him at Legnano, where the chairman is his big bro's former Milan teammate Marco Simone. You can count the number of games he has played professionally on a polydactyl's hand. There can be absolutely no question at all that he wouldn't be in the Milan squad based on his own merit.

Didn't Simone play the 2001 season when Seedorf was still at Inter? They were team-mates??
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 12 2008, 04:09 PM) *
But I don't like the conclusions this article is bringing up.

Neither do I ... Actually, the whole article is to conclude the Milan's "family atmosphere" is a joke.

Thing is, this club is run in such a way that all of Europe has bared witness that in 22 years this management has done something special. And the philosophy that has been brought forward by the management rendered the success of this club.

With that said, I think the management know how to manage a football club, more than this geezer rolleyes.gif
Zed.D
I don't think we wouldn't have succeeded if we hadn't signed Kaka and Seedorf's brothers just to keep the pals happy and of course sit those poor young lads on bench and make jokes for them that they can't kick a ball properly and that they wouldn't have been Milan players if only merits and qualities were to be considered not family ties. but what we can do? we have a sentimental Don up there... let it be.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Aug 12 2008, 04:14 PM) *
I don't think we wouldn't have succeeded if we hadn't signed Kaka and Seedorf's brothers just to keep the pals happy.

Exactly, so signing all these relatives/friends has nothing to do with our success, it's just silly. Fine if they're good, but they obviously aren't.
Giancarlo
I fully agree with the signing of Chedric Seedorf. If it keeps players happy they'll player better... and it'll reduce the risk of leaving. These signings (which I count just two right now), have a benefit for the team... even though it is not immediately apparent. They aren't silly. And I think management is far more effective than the guy writing the article would be.
milanista1899
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 12 2008, 05:51 PM) *
Exactly, so signing all these relatives/friends has nothing to do with our success, it's just silly. Fine if they're good, but they obviously aren't.

I agree here. I'm against the principle of signing these imposters, but if it in itself (which I doubt!) is the only reason we've held onto Seedorf and Kakà, then so be it. You can't deny that we'd be a weaker team without them which probably would affect our success.
Tennie
I'm with the sneaky guy from Lincoln on this one.
CrazyMilanFan
seriously what is the point of gettign Chedric this does not make any sense
Giancarlo
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Aug 12 2008, 07:22 PM) *
seriously what is the point of gettign Chedric this does not make any sense

To keep Clarence happy. And if he plays better I'm all for it.
Bluesummers
its just the concept that milan is more of a family than a club. IF you have your brother with you in the club you have a higher chance of staying at the club because now the club has entered the family zone. Chedric costs us like digao, virtually nothing. Players like emerson/brocchi/dida is who we got to care about and wonder why they are our club because those players are teh ones whos wages is affecting us. not digao or chedric.
MizNelson
We should not be signing players simply to placate other players. That's just ridiculous, especially since they have virtually no chance of playing and thus waste roster space (i.e. Digao).
kurtsimonw
Agreed.

We're paying the likes of Kaka' and Seedorf a lot of money to play good football, we shouldn't have to pay their family as well!
jbryant1
The only player on the team where is makes sense is Kaka. Seedorf is replaceable, I think there are better midfielders that could fill his position and do better for our squad.

The problem is that Milan will suffer in the game of modern football for their strategies. Bringing in brothers and sisters to fill the bench is not what the game is about. Its about getting the best 11 and best bench. The bench should represent the next line of great players to fill the gap or some veterans to fill in for a few minutes.

With Milan its a collection of brothers, the wounded, and senior citizens or the likes of great prospects like Gourcuff who don't get real play time and want to leave after a season
Bluesummers
when you start thinking like that guys then we are no different from madrid. And if we are no different from madrid then expect alot of our players to start moving in each window.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (jbryant1 @ Aug 13 2008, 03:02 AM) *
The only player on the team where is makes sense is Kaka. Seedorf is replaceable, I think there are better midfielders that could fill his position and do better for our squad.

The problem is that Milan will suffer in the game of modern football for their strategies. Bringing in brothers and sisters to fill the bench is not what the game is about. Its about getting the best 11 and best bench. The bench should represent the next line of great players to fill the gap or some veterans to fill in for a few minutes.

With Milan its a collection of brothers, the wounded, and senior citizens or the likes of great prospects like Gourcuff who don't get real play time and want to leave after a season

If you don't take the actions Milan did, you will face the same problems of Spanish teams, as mentioned Real Madrid. We will not be able to hold these player.s Seedorf is not replaceable in my eyes. At least not immediately. He brings depth.

How would we suffer? We aren't filling the bench with them. They rarely get the call up. We bought other players like Viudez and Cardacio. I don't see how your logic adds up though... we bought what? Six players under the age of 28? None of which have any injuries (besides Borriello who should recover soon enough). What senior citizens? We already sold Simic. Cafu and Serginho retired.

I don't get it. We buy like 6 young players, and you still think we're old. And who cares if we get Chedric Seedorf? He'll be loaned out. Big deal.
kurtsimonw
My problem with it has nothing to do with us wasting money or us "suffering", it's just the point of it which annoys me. Kaka' and Seedorf earn ridiculous amounts of money, they earn in a year more than I'll probably earn in a life time! Not only that, but they have a dream job! But oh, having tonnes of money and a superb job isn't enough to make them put 100% effort in, so we have to give money to their family too? Pathetic really.
Jack Sparrow
It's a decision. And it doesn't affect the team composition in one bit. For all you know, Chedric might turn out to be a great coach who decides he owes big brother's club for giving him something to put in his resume.

His wages are probably minimal.

And as for Kaka being allowed but not Seedorf...that's B.S. You don't get too far, if you treat different players on your team differently. If Kaka gets the benefit, so should Seedorf. In a team of 11 players, it isn't fair to single out one or the other.

Seedorf probably asked it as a favour to the management, and they agreed. Nothing wrong in it. Sorry, I can't find anything to argue about. And I would never ever believe in the idea of a club as a ruthless machine, that buys and sells players like cattle on the basis of performance.

If Milan do that, I'll go back to Hull City thanks!

@Bluesummers: 1899% agree with your point about Madrid.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 13 2008, 04:51 AM) *
My problem with it has nothing to do with us wasting money or us "suffering", it's just the point of it which annoys me. Kaka' and Seedorf earn ridiculous amounts of money, they earn in a year more than I'll probably earn in a life time! Not only that, but they have a dream job! But oh, having tonnes of money and a superb job isn't enough to make them put 100% effort in, so we have to give money to their family too? Pathetic really.

Not if the wages for these players are very quite small... if I had a business and chose to hire family members, that's my decision.
kurtsimonw
I already said there wages don't matter, it's the principle. Kaka' and Seedorf have the incentive of earning £ms a year, we shouldn't ned to bring their brothers to the club in order to perform well.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 12 2008, 11:00 PM) *
I already said there wages don't matter, it's the principle. Kaka' and Seedorf have the incentive of earning £ms a year, we shouldn't ned to bring their brothers to the club in order to perform well.

but is it really also fair that their privacy is invaded by papparrazi. That they virtually can't do anything without the world knowing about it. That if one week they don't play well they can't even walk in the city without being boo'd. I think the money they are paid is justified. They are paid to be soccer players not heroes and celebrities forced to do extra activities. Money will never ever create motivation for better work rate in any job in the world. Its the personal security and the little nic nacks that make people keep their jobs for years. Why is fergie with united when he could be getting paid more money at madrid. Why is a person working at Macdonald's when he could be a security guard and earn a few hundred more?

If chedric keeps seedorf happy and makes his daily life more enjoyable because he has family at the club he loves he will feel compelled to work harder and his motivation will be kept to try to perform like a worldclass player when he could easily sit on his @$$ and finish his contract and their is nothing we could do about it. I would rather pay 5k a week and keep seedorf happy then piss him off and waste a 100k a week.
kurtsimonw
I disagree with the money thing. It is the main motivation. Why else does Kaka' want a stupid contract where he's on about £4m a year? If money wasn't the motivation, why not settle for £1m a year? Then he saves the club a whole lot of money too.

But it's still missing the point. It is NOT about the money. WHy the hell does Seedorfs brother deserve to have an easy live, just because Seedorf is too damn lazy to play properly? It's insane! Shall I go into work and tell my boss to hire my brother just because I'll work better? He'll tell me to F off!
Jack Sparrow
If you were in the top 7 employees of your company, and have for some years running, played a crucial recognised part in the company constantly over-achieving its targets...and then you go tell your boss, that your brother be hired as an 'intern', so he can get a leg up in the corporate world- if your boss tells you to F off, then I think you need a better boss.
kurtsimonw
There we go then Jack. IF I was one of the top workers. Why is it that Kaka' and Seedorfs brothers should get jobs (on what I'm sure will be a contract to give them an easy living) just because there brothers are 'stars'. That's what I see wrong with it, they get paid more because the'yre better, it doesn't mean they should have extra things like family members joining the squad because of it though, each player should be treated even in that respect.
Jack Sparrow
Possibly Kaka and Seedorf asked if it could be done? And also Milan don't believe in keeping it an employee-employer relationship. If it had been so, Kaka would have left for Madrid last season. Just like Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave Manchester United.
dst
Too much noise for something not so important in my opinion. Not worth it...
Fillipo Simone
^ He's back! cool.gif
acid911
Things like this happen in all places all the time. dry.gif From football clubs to Hollywood flicks. Nothing to be surprised of, really. Is it a good thing? Probably no. But gotta live with it.
misha
I wish my brother would be a top footballer... wink.gif
Jack Sparrow
That would be pointless, unless you were an average footballer. tongue.gif
misha
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 13 2008, 02:12 PM) *
That would be pointless, unless you were an average footballer. tongue.gif

Surely I'm a better player than Digao biggrin.gif
Jack Sparrow
If you are...then you just need your brother to be a top footballer.

Unless you were older in which case, I recommend you become his agent. More money to be made. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.