Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manchester City - Milan
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 08/09
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Tennie
Manchester City host Milan in a friendly on August 9 at the City of Manchester Stadium.
GrinReaper
Yeah, can't wait to see Dida's acrobatics now after Kalac put up the great show in the last match. dry.gif

But yeah, as usual, FORZA ROSSONERI!!!
Tennie
There's no official team training today, though some (not named) players are at Milanello doing specific work and physical therapy.

Training resumes tomorrow.
CrazyMilanFan
i got my ticket for this game today hopefully we will win this game FORZA MILAN!!!
han2503
Hopefully we don't get trashed again rolleyes.gif

Becuase with our defence it's highly likely
Nova
any tv channel showing it ?
Zed.D
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 5 2008, 04:55 PM) *
Hopefully we don't get trashed again rolleyes.gif

Becuase with our defence it's highly likely

Is this our last friendly (apart from Luigi Berlusconi)?
weeeow
QUOTE (Nova @ Aug 5 2008, 02:06 PM) *
any tv channel showing it ?

channel 5 in uk biggrin.gif

Laura Esposto cool.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Aug 5 2008, 04:16 PM) *
Is this our last friendly (apart from Luigi Berlusconi)?

No .. There is the Moratti trophy too

@nova ... They don't seem to have updated the site that I usually check ... When they do I'll post the channels for you smile.gif
Tennie
Apparently the new kids may also travel to Manchester.

In Italy, the game is being shown on Mediaset's calcio 24 channel and will be replayed on Milan Channel later in the day.

The only definite starter (at this point) that we know about is Dida in goal.

The team will also play in the Birra Moretti trophy in Naples along with Napoli and the Zebras on August 21.

The team will play Sporting Gijon in a friendly on August 24 in Gijon.

Zed.D
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 5 2008, 05:53 PM) *
No .. There is the Moratti trophy too

Ah, that's right. (wasn't it 'Moretti'?)
Nova
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 5 2008, 03:23 PM) *
@nova ... They don't seem to have updated the site that I usually check ... When they do I'll post the channels for you smile.gif

thanks mate !! king.gif
Nova
from channel 4

August 9 - Manchester City (A)
August 17 - Trofeo Berlusconi - Juventus (H)
August 21 - Trofeo Birra Moretti - Napoli and Juventus (Naples)
August 24: Sporting Gijon (A)

acid911
Can't funking wait for this match. cool.gif
nuh
uefa vs uefa we might get them this year dry.gif
Rossoneri7
Hughes: 0-5 ?! Milan normally doesn't loose in such a way

Mark Hughes, Manchester City coach, predicts a tough night against a star studded team on Saturday, since it is expected that Ancelotti will bring in a handful of stars such as Kaka', Inzaghi, Gattuso, and Maldini.

Hughes thinks that facing a team like the Rossoneri would be the perfect venue to prepare for a long season, which starts in one week: "I think they will bring a strong team here, they are preparing for a very important season for them, that is why I think they will come here to play a good match which will be very important for their preparation. They have players with such quality, and they will come here to do their duty. I look forward to the game on Saturday. It will be a challenge against an opponent with whom we hold with high regard."

And he commented on the 0-5 scoreline which Milan lost to Chelsea last Sunday with a quadruple from Anelka and a goal from Lampard: "That result surprised me, you don't watch Milan loose 0-5 ! And the fact that we are the team that will face Milan after such a defeat, we will need to be very concentrated at the task at hand. In one way or another, I hope that I will see a comeback from them, because I want to see a competitive match. In friendlies, usually teams focus on preparation more than that the result. But I expect it to be a match of different taste."
Tennie
Well, nice words from Hughes. If only we COULD bring both Kaka and Pippo to this one....
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 6 2008, 01:27 AM) *
Well, nice words from Hughes. If only we COULD bring both Kaka and Pippo to this one....

They have one of the best understandings between two players I've ever seen. wish Pippo was 5 years younger...

PS: what happened to 'best' blush.gif
Giancarlo
I expect our team to do well... and nice words from Hughes indeed... I just hope it works out for us. If anything, we could bring youth team players to the game if we are still lacking in the striker department.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Aug 6 2008, 12:03 AM) *
They have one of the understandings between two players I've ever seen. wish Pippo was 5 years younger...

I don't mean for this to go back and forth (as it might tongue.gif ) .. But Pippo Inzaghi is immortal when he is in the box.

If he can remain injury free, which I think Milan will be able to take care of him at 34, since there are so many options upfront he wont need to play every game. Having him in top level games is a very important weapon .. He can score at anytime and at any situation.

And now that he will have not ONLY Kaka' but Ronaldinho feeding him will make him even more dangerous this season.

Lets just hope he remains injury free 96.gif
misha
With our current injury list, away players and fitness conditions, I don't expect much.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (misha @ Aug 5 2008, 10:01 PM) *
With our current injury list, away players and fitness conditions, I don't expect much.

i hope we take some of the primavera players... that'll help cover.

I did hear good things about Osuji and Aubameyang... Darmian too...
Tennie
I like Darmian! I've seen him play in person and have watched him a few times on telly. He's scrawny (Pippo-like scrawny) but looks remarkably solid for a kid. Would love to see him get a chance.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 5 2008, 11:03 PM) *
I like Darmian! I've seen him play in person and have watched him a few times on telly. He's scrawny (Pippo-like scrawny) but looks remarkably solid for a kid. Would love to see him get a chance.

You know if we don't get another defender signing this season, I'm all for him joining the senior squad... I've seen him play before too in person... when I was back in Milan a while ago... he has a lot of potential.
MizNelson
QUOTE (Nova @ Aug 5 2008, 07:00 AM) *
from channel 4

August 9 - Manchester City (A)
August 17 - Trofeo Berlusconi - Juventus (H)
August 21 - Trofeo Birra Moretti - Napoli and Juventus (Naples)
August 24: Sporting Gijon (A)

What is a Sporting Gijon?
Tennie
Hee. A Sporting Gijon is a football team in the Asturias region of Spain. They've been around a good long while (since the early 1900s) and have only just been promoted to the first division (La Liga). They were decently good in the 70s and 80s but then had a nightmare couple of seasons and were relegated to the second division for a decade. Just why Milan are playing them in this friendly is a bit of a mystery to me.
GrinReaper
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 6 2008, 03:25 AM) *
Hughes: 0-5 ?! Milan normally doesn't loose in such a way

I can't decide whether Hughes is mocking us or trying to show respect? dry.gif
gal_kenny
Hughes expects tough test from Milan stars 05/08/2008 12:39

Mark Hughes is anticipating a tough test against a star-studded AC Milan side in this Saturday’s final pre-season warm-up game.
Hughes’ opposite number from the San Siro, Carlo Ancelotti, is expected to bring a strong squad that is set to include the likes of Kaka, Inzaghi, Gattuso and Maldini. The City boss thinks that facing a side with the quality of the Rossoneri will be the perfect way for City to face the start of the Barclays Premier League season just over a week later.

Hughes says, “I think they will bring a strong squad, they are preparing for a very important season themselves so I think they will see this game at our stadium as a good one to bring them on. They have some exceptionally gifted players and they will be here to do a job as well.

“I’m looking forward to it on Saturday, it will be a competitive game against quality opposition that will bring us on no end.

“It has been a very impressive pre-season programme for us, we have competitive games mixed in with games against some very high-quality opponents and they should get us into great shape for the Premier League.”

Milan’s last game was a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Chelsea, thanks to four goals from Nicolas Anelka, but Hughes is expecting and hoping for a backlash to test his squad.

“That result surprised me, you don’t often see a Milan team lose 5-0! On the back of that we are the next in line so we had better watch out.

“In a way I hope there’s a backlash because we want a competitive game. Some pre-season games don’t have a lot of contact in them and are not games that prepare you in the correct way, but I anticipate that our next two will be very different.”

Kaka, Inzaghi, Gattuso and Maldini. : Inzaghi and Kaka would be part of the team playing cuz they're both injured...
gal_kenny
I hope that Milan shows up in the match compared to the match against Chelsea...
Giancarlo
I hear Inzaghi is alright... he has some muscle issues but it's not so bad. Kaka may be out, but this may a reason we could see Viudez (as attacking mid) play... either way, I hope Kaka gets better fast, last I heard he was in high spirits.
GrinReaper
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 6 2008, 10:40 AM) *
I hope Kaka gets better fast, last I heard he was in high spirits.

I'm sure we all hope the same. But then we shouldn't rush him back into action soon only to find the injury to flare up again. That would suck. dry.gif
acid911
QUOTE (GrinReaper @ Aug 6 2008, 07:41 AM) *
I can't decide whether Hughes is mocking us or trying to show respect?

I'd go with the later: Respect. unsure.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 6 2008, 08:40 AM) *
Kaka may be out, but this may a reason we could see Viudez (as attacking mid) play... either way, I hope Kaka gets better fast, last I heard he was in high spirits.

I'd like to see at least one of the Uruguayans we signed play in this one. I usually distinguish real talents from phony ones at the first sight
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Aug 6 2008, 10:37 AM) *
I'd like to see at least one of the Uruguayans we signed play in this one. I usually distinguish real talents from phony ones at the first sight

I'm also eager to see one of them. This could actually be a good test for Dida, the new uru-guys and Flamini..
armiss
Viduez as a Forward would be a good test in Man city game specially now when we cant count on anyone but Paloschi !!

http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=70384
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 6 2008, 03:59 PM) *
I'm also eager to see one of them. This could actually be a good test for Dida, the new uru-guys and Flamini..

Of course, it will be. sleep.gif Let's throw in Paloschi and a couple of others primavera players as well just to make sure everything is complete.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 6 2008, 10:40 AM) *
I hear Inzaghi is alright... he has some muscle issues but it's not so bad. Kaka may be out, but this may a reason we could see Viudez (as attacking mid) play... either way, I hope Kaka gets better fast, last I heard he was in high spirits.

He better get off the booze if he wants to heal fast. dry.gif Who does he think he is? W.G Grace?George Best?

Go on zd...I dare you...do your worst, you little imp. biggrin.gif

So Uru-guy or Uru-gay...we shall find out soon. Good. I hope they turn out like Lavezzi and Hamsik did for Napoli.

Zed.D
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 6 2008, 04:24 PM) *
He better get off the booze if he wants to heal fast. dry.gif Who does he think he is? W.G Grace?George Best?

Go on zd...I dare you...do your worst, you little imp. biggrin.gif

You okay Cap? unsure.gif because it looks as if you are on the booze today tongue.gif

So Uru-guy or Uru-gay...we shall find out soon. Good. I hope they turn out like Lavezzi and Hamsik did for Napoli.

If only they turned out to be that good... for now I don't expect anything, but I'm eager to see one of them, or even both, against Man City...
Fillipo Simone
Well, I do expect something. What was the last time we made such a move? Pato was allready known at least as a potential hype-player. But does two...
Jako19
Im not expecting much from the Uru. players, I had no clue Milan was even looking at them in the transfer window.
Tennie
Today's training has taken place.

There was a lot of applause before training began: for Luca Antonini's birthday, for Matteo Darmian's return after his holidays (Darmian played in the U19s) and for the two new kids, Cardacio and Viudez on their first day at Milan.

After the love-fest there were general warmups followed by 3-person ball exercises (with one group of 4).

Then there were tactical exercises.

Finally there was a 10 v 10 practice game.

The keepers trained separately.

Kaka, Borriello, and Inzaghi trained in the gym.

Tomorrow there will be two training sessions.

Tennie
INJURY REPORT link

Dr. Manara gave a report on how the various injured players are doing. (from acmilan.com's italian page; my translation. Apologies if I mess up the medical terms).

ALESSANDRO NESTA
He had an exam after his second therapy session yesterday. Today he rested and we'll see the outcome of his treatment in thenext 48-72 hours after which we'll plan a proper rehab plan. cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

MARCO BORRIELLO
He started post-surgical physiotherapy yesterday. The boy is satsified and happy with the results of his surgery.

FILIPPO INZAGHI
Tomorrow he'll have a test. The idea is that in coming days he'll begin specifi work in order to return to training with the team.

RICKY KAKA'
He's started a rehab program for his swollen knee. After some days of rest he feels better and he'll have specific exams in coming days.

EMERSON
We're very happy for his response to the recent specific work. We hope to see him ready to work with the group before the end of the month.

KAKHA KALADZE
From time to time his knee problem recurs but he's feeling better now. (dst, did you stop hitting his knee with a crowbar?)
armiss
O Emerson , always out !!
acid911
QUOTE (armiss @ Aug 7 2008, 12:49 AM) *

Ditto. smile.gif He's much better off playing in a slightly smaller team so he gets a starting spot in their squad. Here it literally seems impossible, particularly after the R80 and Flamini are here.
Habitant
QUOTE (armiss @ Aug 6 2008, 08:49 PM) *

a complete bust.
GrinReaper
QUOTE (acid911 @ Aug 7 2008, 02:49 AM) *
Ditto. smile.gif He's much better off playing in a slightly smaller team so he gets a starting spot in their squad. Here it literally seems impossible, particularly after the R80 and Flamini are here.

And Cardacio to boot smile.gif
Giancarlo
QUOTE (acid911 @ Aug 6 2008, 09:19 PM) *

Not only that, Cardacio and Viudez showing up... Brocchi and Emerson will have zero playing time. It would only be logical to sell them, or loan them out. Emerson simply isn't good enough. Talk about a player that peaked early. He peaked like five years ago and declined since then.
Tennie
I think it's a little early to assume these kids are going to supplant a regular sub like Brocchi - however much we may all want that to happen. The kids have only had 1 training session with the team so far. smile.gif
acid911
No they wouldn't, as much as I'd like to. Their time will come. Apart from taht, agree with what all you guys said. wink.gif Let's see whose careers we helped in stalling: Gorcuff, Emerson, Simic, Digao, and to a lesser extent Favalli and Brocchi. Players like these are needed, yes, to help in times of trouble, but as a side result they are now nowhere. Almost no club is desperate to sign them.

In reality we should have sold them when the right opportunity and time came, so they could continue their career's progress. As much as I hate it loaning out Gorcuff was the right thing to do. cool.gif We should do the same with our old guns so they can salvage what little time and energy they have and finish off on a high playing and starting regularly with another club. Particularly now that we're investing in youth. Speaking of which, here's Viudez wiki page:

Tabaré Viudez
Giancarlo
Regarding Gourcuff... he played well the first season he was with us. He had a respectable 21 appearances the first season, but he had an injury. He regained his fitness, but his skills were a bit rusty... so loaning him out was perhaps the best thing to do.

As far as Emerson, he's been injured most of the time since he got to Milan. And he's not a great player in any sense. He's past his best.

Simic was bought as a utility player... but I agree he could go elsewhere and do better. His performance in the Euro Cup, while not wonderful, was pretty solid.

And Digao is Kaka's brother... he was loaned out to Rimini for a season or two, so we should do something like that again.

Favalli and Brocchi get more playing time than these other players (especially Brocchi). I just think it's great that management is understanding we need to put more youth in our team... it has to be done one way or another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.