Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Panucci to Milan?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
hatebreeder.nick
Roma’s veteran defender Christian Panucci could be lured to Milan, according to rumours in the peninsula.

The 35-year-old is currently at Trigoria with the rest of the Roma players who began their pre-season training earlier this morning.

However, according to Il Messaggero, he could leave his teammates to return to Milan, where he plied his trade between 1993 and 1996.

The paper suggests that the Rossoneri have a two-year deal waiting for the Azzurri star and that Vice-President Adriano Galliani has made contact with his Giallorossi counterparts to discuss a possible transfer.

Panucci’s current contract at the Stadio Olimpico expires at the end of June 2009, which would leave him without a deal at the age of 36.

A switch to Milan would provide Panucci with the security of an extra year’s earnings and would ensure that he could close his career at the highest level.
hatebreeder.nick
Damn!!.. When did Milan get the patent to sign oldies at the end of their career?? wacko.gif
Not again plz.. We dont need another Emerson mad.gif
Tennie
(my response cut & pasted from the transfer thread)

The rumor came out yesterday that Milan were thinking about him and there was mention of an offer for a 2-year contract, but nothing official has been mentioned by either club. Failing more information forthcoming, I'd say it's probably just a rumor.

That said, having good cover in the CB position wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Due to his age, Panucci would by necessity be a short-term solution to this issue. He's good in the air and has shown very good form in the last year, including his play for the Azzurri. While I'd prefer a long-term buy (like, say, Giorgio Chiellini from Juve), short term might not be disastrous if the kids playing for the Italy U19s really are good. Both CBs and the LB from the U19s are Milan Primavera players.

While there are reasons (his stroppy personality in particular) to be against a possible move, I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing Panucci in a Milan jersey again, if the rumor turns out to be true. I know I'm a bit of a sentimentalist, but I continue to have tremendous respect for the very classy performance a 21-year old Panucci put in in the 94 CL final (the 4-0 thrashing of Cruyff's Barcelona).
kurtsimonw
I like him. He impressed me last season and was one of the few Italian players that showed up at the Euro's. If he joined, he should be starting in my opinion.
dst
I would not mind if he came but I don't think we're going to get anyone. I think this is made up but if he were to join us, Darmian should be loaned out!
Jako19
I dont like the idea. We are already heavily criticizing our very old age, and this would just increase it. I would rather go for someone who is a little worse but 7yr younger or so.
acid911
If we can get him for a good bargain, and we don't have any other alternative, then yes, he'd be more than welcome. But as a short term fix, just to see us through say 2010 give or take. We do have a very aging back line, that may or (may not) creak during important phases.

A tall, young CB is next on my wishlist. And then a good keeper.
mallamkay
that is ridiculous, at his age
Zed.D
I would take him. he might be 35 (?) but he sure has the Maldini DNA in his blood. he plays like a 31yo.
Jack Sparrow
Good purchase. But then sell Simic. We are being very cruel to Dario. I don't like it one bit.
misha
We need a world class CB for a long term that can play alongside Nesta or replace him while injured. Not easy to get one of those of course but Panucci is not an answer.

Chiellini would be great but Juve are not that stupid
Fillipo Simone
Panucci would be very good. He's after all a classic rossoneri player, old but only getting better...
acid911
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jul 24 2008, 09:48 AM) *
Good purchase. But then sell Simic. We are being very cruel to Dario. I don't like it one bit.

Me, I don't like it half a bit. dry.gif Simic has been on the sidelines for the better part of two years, with no one having an idea what the future holds for him. We shouldn't play with players' careers. Get it Carlo?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.