Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Galliani: We've Delivered On Our Promises
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
jefri91
Galliani: We've Delivered On Our Promises

Adriano Galliani believes AC Milan’s recent transfer activity has proven their doubters wrong, insisting their summer transactions have gone off without a hitch…

After a couple of seasons that saw Milan bring in few new faces and lose their once-guaranteed Champions League spot, questions surfaced as to whether the club were still the superpower they were during the 1990s.

Many pointed to the ageing line-up, in which only Brazilian duo Kaka and Alexandre Pato could rightly be classed as young – telling, given the former turned 26 this year. Others suggested the squad, which is among the most decorated in club and world football, collectively lacked the desire to achieve further success at the highest level.

Large sections of press and public believe Il Diavolo ran themselves into such a situation due their relatively conservative spending, suggesting they rested on their laurels after their 2007 Champions League triumph in particular.

But Galliani insisted all such talk should cease after a summer that has seen the Italian giants recruit a clutch of big names – chief among whom is, of course, Brazilian superstar Ronaldinho.

"Like we promised Milan have shown they want and can make investments on the market despite what has been said in this last period," he said on the club’s official website.

"We have bought 6 players, important pawns chosen with the approval of the coach, who has absolutely shared the same views during the transfer campaign.

"With this squad we do not feel inferior to teams like Inter, Roma, Fiorentina and Juventus, and I, even though I am perhaps too much of a fan to say this, would not change our squad with that of any team in Europe."

Galliani, who was the head negotiator in the Ronaldinho deal, added: "I want to underline that this transfer campaign has gone exactly like we wanted. In the first part of the summer we achieved all our objectives to dedicate the second part to getting a great striker.

"We have Ronaldinho, a player who brings joy, an extraordinary champion who has always been loved by Milan. We waited a long time to get him, but it's not important how long you wait, it's who you're waiting for."

Mike Maguire

Do you think he really delivered?? What do you think?
Fillipo Simone
Really nice picture. Tells you more then everything.. cool.gif

Nah...we have Dinho. We did well this summer. Let's come up with a stupid Fester-like praise for him...
Habitant
this is why galliani continues to embarrass himself.

you'd swearm R20 is a guaranteed success, along with flamini and zambrotta.

overall it's been a good transfer market. but we need much more than this, we need to catch up on 3 years of ineptitude.

dint he say we would SIGN 7-8 players?

we signed 3, the others recalled and abate is probably going to be loaned

so no be BSed once again then demands praise? rolleyes.gif

Warchant
i think we did fine. i was never expecting to fix all of our needs in one transfer market.

i think we have enough to get us back into the CL and use that as clout to bring in some more good players next season.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Warchant @ Jul 19 2008, 12:46 AM) *
i think we did fine. i was never expecting to fix all of our needs in one transfer market.

i think we have enough to get us back into the CL and use that as clout to bring in some more good players next season.

I agree, but i am certainly not against the idea of a new CB and/or Keeper as well.
With that said there is still time. (and u never know whats goin to happen)
Regardless..., what Warchant said pretty much sums it up to me. wink.gif
Zed.D
I'm satisfied. if there are any defects we can solve them in the winter transfer window.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Warchant @ Jul 19 2008, 07:46 AM) *

Yup smile.gif

Milan always had the best XI on the pitch, the problem was the bench. Now they got Ronaldinho, Flamini, Borriello, Zambrotta, and Antonini .. The bench has just been bolstered.

About Borriello .. He was never really the highly rated player, and he was never placed under the spot light. But during his previous Milan days, I remember him coming in to the A team (i think) back in 2004, and he did well on several occasions there after .. I won't call him a revolution, nor will I call him a quick fix. I would rather wait and see what Carlo has planned.

Overall, as Warchant said, Milan did fine. Next summer, there will be more changes to the squad, especially when you consider Maldini's retirement date. Because Milan's philosophy is against an overhaul of a team, this is just not how Milan operates.

Zed.D
I'm not sure if Maldini will retire next season. last season he said would be definitely his last but he we all know what happened. next season we will be in the CL and he will want to win the CL again, so...
Rossoneri7
I hope Maldini doesn't retire next season zd ... But he is the most decorated footballer on the planet, he doesn't need another Champions title really ... At least that is what I think ..

He stayed on this season, because Milan had a bad season in comparison to the previous six prior to this one. And as the captain, he wants to let go of Milan when they are at the top again.
Zed.D
Maybe, but I think Maldini always has had this passion for winning something more. I wouldn't be surprised if he continued playing in 2009-10, even if he reaches 42 by then! I know the odds are very, very slim, but it could happen.
kurtsimonw
Satisfied would be the word I'd use here. We bought in players to help us, but still not good enough to be competing at the top. Not even close.
Zed.D
Do you consider the fact that we have no CL games to play?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jul 19 2008, 04:19 PM) *
Do you consider the fact that we have no CL games to play?

Yes. But we didn't towards the end of last season either, and still came short of 4th place. And I think we'll find it more difficult in the UEFA Cup than some will make out, we really are bad against smaller sides - especially those who will be looking forward to being the team that eliminates the favourites from the competition.

Ronaldinho and Zambrotta would have made on hell of a transfer window a few years back. But now? Neither of them have done anything for 2 years, just finding it a bit difficult to get excited over them.
Bluesummers
i'm okay with our transfers, but we just needed a better goalie but i guess abbiati will be fine.
I_Rossoneri
Time will tell if these transfers are the players we really needed, IMO we should have got a WC 'keeper and CB. It also makes me laugh when I read that R10 was always our prime target even though the management contradicted themselves time after time over his signing.

Personally speaking I think R10 was more of a signing to appease the angry fans rather than to strengthen the team.
kidfunka
here's a question to all.. I'm sure u all agree that Frey is a great goalie so who would you have not taken in order to spend the money on him.. My take is Zambrotta.. We have to many players that can play on either sides and antonnini will be in a good spot to play some guys..

what about you...
cc
Habitant
the only player we actually spent on was R20, the rest of our transfers were funded by the sales of Oli and gila. if anything we had money left over to put towards ronaldinho. when you think of it we spent very little...

anyways 10M for a top notch Gker is too much in gallianis books...rolleyes.gif so i'm sure frey wasnt that much
milanista1899
here's a question to all.. I'm sure u all agree that Frey is a great goalie so who would you have not taken in order to spend the money on him.. My take is Zambrotta.. We have to many players that can play on either sides and antonini will be in a good spot to play some guys..

what about you...
cc
Yea he would've been a great move & at the end of the season I was sure we'd get him. Can't answer that though because I think we needed everyone we got. Zambrotta was a little over-priced but he's essential so it was worth it. I think only he & Bonera can play either side but he's better in the centre, especially as that's where we have a bit of a gap. Hope Simic stays. Unless it was because he wanted to go he should've played more last season, we wouldn't have done any worse he's always looked solid to me (at least compared to Kala) dispite his height. I think the abundance is because of Favalli & Digao, not the wing-backs. I hope to see a lot of good crosses this season which we've missed badly for a long time. If Oddo doesn't improve in that area I think he could even be used at CB if need be, he has before & did well - his height is a plus. Antonini should play when Janku doesn't whether it's because of injury or form.

QUOTE (Habitant @ Jul 20 2008, 02:25 AM) *
anyways 10M for a top notch Gker is too much in gallianis books...rolleyes.gif so i'm sure frey wasnt that much

Is that how much Fiorentina wanted for him? I know Celtic wanted a lot more for Boruc, thing is both clubs wanted to keep them & don't think they needed much (if any) convincing to stay. So that would've been why they put the prices too high up, I think any other club would've wanted them lower not just us.
Mp_snake007
For me: Galliani did deliver his promises since he never really talk about replacing our aging defence any way... tongue.gif
misha
For now it's a good transfer window ,surely comparing to the two previous years, but still a new keeper and CB is a must.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.