Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AC Milan could play in the Champions League
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2
milanezos7
The bulgarian football federation has asked that CSKA Sofia will be excluded from the next Champions League preliminary round cause of their financial situation; if UEFA will accept this request, the club that would replace the bulgarian team would be the one wit the highest UEFA coefficient, that means AC Milan. The italian club was involved in the opposite situation in 2006, when Lens asked to be admitted to the Champions League instead of Milan tha was involved in a corruption scandal. blink.gif
m1ke
Can't see it happening, but interesting news all the same. How bad is CSKA Sofia's situation?
m1ke
Just found this ohmy.gif

CSKA Sofia To Miss Champions League?

PFC CSKA Sofia are on the verge of missing out on Champions League football next season after having their license revoked.

The Bulgarian Football Union have decided to revoke CSKA Sofia's license to play in the domestic league because of unpaid debts, and have notified UEFA of this matter.

Borislav Popov, executive director of the BFU, stated that UEFA will announce a decision on this case later this week.

It is expected that the administrative body for European football will decide to remove the Bulgarian champions from the third qualifying phase of the Champions League.

Although BFU chairman Krasin Krastev did not reveal CSKA Sofia's debt, he said: "We will not give CSKA a license. Now everything depends on UEFA's decision."

CSKA Sofia's president, Alexandar Tomov, has indicated that he won't appeal against this decision, considering this to be "the most shameful day in the history of the club."
dst
... unsure.gif ...

So when will this be decided? Is there a history in this, any other club that has not been allowed to enter the competition for financial reasons?
m1ke
Hm, done a bit more reading and it appears extremely unlikely that Milan are going to get given a CL place.

Apparently CSKA Sofia have another 24hours to pay their debt's. It's reported that the club's sponsors may take this on to secure a CL spot. Failing that, the vacant spot will go to FC Levski Sofia, not the highest ranking Uefa coefficient (Milan). There's been a precedent for this - http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/n...ate.html?070417
m1ke
Football Italia disagree with me:

Milan for Champions League?

Milan could sensationally be handed a place in the Champions League, as Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia face expulsion.

The Rossoneri were heartbroken when they were beaten to fourth place by Fiorentina last season and faced the indignity of sitting out the tournament they have made their own over the years.

But just as Milan’s fans and players got used to the idea of competing in the UEFA Cup, they may have been handed a lifeline.

Bulgaria’s FA has asked that champions CSKA Sofia are banned from the Champions League due to financial problems.

This would open up a space in the second preliminary round, which would be given to the side with the highest UEFA ranking that aren’t already involved in the competition – Milan.

There is a precedent for this kind of action, which also involves the Diavolo.

In 2006, Milan missed out on the Champions League due to the Calciopoli scandal but were reinstated into the third preliminary round on appeal – had the appeal failed Lens were ready to enter due to UEFA coefficient.

Should the world champions be allowed into the Champions League it may have vast implications for their summer transfer policy.
arivanjj
i'd certainly welcome it... but seems unlikely to me.
dst
This article you posted puzzles me, Mike. The thing is, I remember the Lens president the season before the last one talking about how his team deserved to be in the CL instead of Milan... unsure.gif
m1ke
^^ Yeah, he did. He felt that Milan shouldn't have been allowed to enter because of the Calciopoli - and lodged an appeal to Uefa. But the Lega Calcio reduced Milan's points reduction, effectively putting them 4th and they qualified for the CL as normal.

Had the Lega not reduced Milan's points reduction, I'm pretty sure Lens would have got the place.
dst
QUOTE (m1ke @ Jun 4 2008, 01:10 PM)
^^ Yeah, he did. He felt that Milan shouldn't have been allowed to enter because of the Calciopoli - and lodged an appeal to Uefa. But the Lega Calcio reduced Milan's points reduction, effectively putting them 4th and they qualified for the CL as normal.

Had the Lega not reduced Milan's points reduction, I'm pretty sure Lens would have got the place.

I cannot remember Palermo, who had finished in 5th place on the previous season, being mentioned as the team to take Milan's place. It was always Lens.

So I guess it's the same with Levski Sofia now... they don't come after CSKA, Milan does. unsure.gif
m1ke
Ah, I see what you're saying.

I think the footballing federation of the country in question can put forward alternative clubs, but ultimately it's up to Uefa. There must be rules about this somewhere on the net!
Zed.D
See the reactions rolleyes.gif

http://www.goal.com/en/CommentsList.aspx?ContenutoId=722703
m1ke
Who cares what most of those idiots are saying - this is a Uefa ruling and has nothing to do with Milan really. If a club is expelled for valid reasons, and Uefa's rules state that the club with the highest coefficient should take their place, then their problem is with Uefa, not Milan.
m1ke
A few things I've seen in the CL rules PDF:

Number of clubs per UEFA member association
1.01 UEFA member associations may enter a certain number of clubs for the
competition, in accordance with their position in the coefficient rankings in
Annex Ia, drawn up in accordance with Annex II of these regulations.
However, no association may enter more than four clubs for the competition.
These rankings also determine the stage at which clubs join the competition.

Admission criteria
1.04 To be eligible to participate in the competition, a club must fulfil the following
criteria:
B ) it must have obtained a licence issued by the national association
concerned in accordance with the applicable national club licensing
regulations as accredited by UEFA in accordance with the UEFA club
licensing manual (version 1.0);

A club which is not admitted to the competition shall be replaced by the next
best-placed club in the top domestic league championship of the same
national association
, provided it fulfils the admission criteria. In this case, the
access list for the UEFA Club Competitions (Annex Ia) will be adjusted
accordingly.
Zed.D
QUOTE (m1ke @ Jun 4 2008, 02:09 PM)
Who cares what most of those idiots are saying - this is a Uefa ruling and has nothing to do with Milan really. If a club is expelled for valid reasons, and Uefa's rules state that the club with the highest coefficient should take their place, then their problem is with Uefa, not Milan.

So... if CSKA get expelled, there's 50% chance that Milan will take their place... it's either Milan or Bulgarian league's runners-up, right?
m1ke
So, it seems that CSKA Sofia are definitely out, but Levski Sofia are likely to be given the vacant spot.
Zed.D
QUOTE (m1ke @ Jun 4 2008, 02:17 PM)
So, it seems that CSKA Sofia are definitely out, but Levski Sofia are likely to be given the vacant spot.

Fair enough cry.gif
dst
I think Levski Sofia deserve it, it should be them!

I'm totally against Milan entering this way!!

However, no association may enter more than four clubs for the competition.

I don't think that would be a problem as 5 clubs from the EPL were allowed entrance in the 2005/2006 edition.
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 4 2008, 10:56 AM)
I don't think that would be a problem as 5 clubs from the EPL were allowed entrance in the 2005/2006 edition.

Yeah but the rules were changed after that year

We dont deserve to go in at all. Its for the best we stay in UEFA this year
armiss
Do you read this in Goal.com reactions : small teams {inter,chelsea}

branko makedonija str
guys dont be afraid MILAN is out of CL this is chance for small teams{inter,chelsea} to win it
Zed.D
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 4 2008, 02:26 PM)

YOU'RE RIGHT! there's still a light at the end of the tunnel!
armiss
I dont talk about Milan but i know that a team like inter that has most awarded points from refrees this year certainly dont deserve that !
dst
QUOTE (armisse @ Jun 4 2008, 02:03 PM)
Do you read this in Goal.com reactions :    small teams {inter,chelsea}

branko makedonija str
guys dont be afraid MILAN is out of CL this is chance for small teams{inter,chelsea} to win it

laugh.gif laugh.gif
whoarethepatriots
I dislike reading Goal.com comments (as amusing as the extract is above me) becuase the vast majority of comment leavers are illiterate, ignorant and downright stupid
dst
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 4 2008, 02:22 PM)
I dislike reading Goal.com comments (as amusing as the extract is above me) becuase the vast majority of comment leavers are illiterate, ignorant and downright stupid

king.gif It's painful to see so many haters seeing things with blinders!
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 4 2008, 10:56 AM)

QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 4 2008, 11:02 AM)
Yeah but the rules were changed after that year

We dont deserve to go in at all. Its for the best we stay in UEFA this year

Surprise surprise rolleyes.gif

As far as I'm concerned if we're the highest ranked club then we should be allowed to enter. We are the no.1 club not just because of last season but the previous 5 seasons and deserve to go through because of that. I'm sure if Milan were in the prem they'd be allowed through wink.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (armisse @ Jun 4 2008, 09:03 PM)
Do you read this in Goal.com reactions :    small teams {inter,chelsea}

branko makedonija str

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif yes i saw!!! laugh.gif
IoRDanCHo
I have mixed feeling about the whole thing :? My favorite club is Levski Sofia, as I am from Bulgaria, but what can Levski do in CL? Was already thinking about a clash between Milan and Levski, but **** happens. Though I am happy about CSKA, I hate those ugly a** MAfu**ers!
Jack Sparrow
^^^

You're from Bulgaria? So you think you can sit down and talk to Berbatov for us? wink.gif
IoRDanCHo
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 4 2008, 12:12 PM)
^^^

You're from Bulgaria? So you think you can sit down and talk to Berbatov for us? wink.gif

Yes, I am and if I see Berbatov somewhere, I'll probably swear at him! He is to fu**ing lazy. He has the control, he is tall, can play good, but he lacks pace. I hate the way he is playing, because he is a Bulgarian and i would like him to step up on the field and play football like others and make me and Bulgaria proud that we have such a player! With his catwalk on the field, he'll fall asleep someday, some game...
Jack Sparrow
Hahahaaaa....well next we'll have Porty...oh I'm sorry Portikins come in and diss Cris Ron. I suppose the rest of the team set up does not suit Dimitar at Bulgaria? I mean he's not a mobile forward is he. Which is why I think he'll do great playing off Pato, kaka and Seedorf. But that's just me.

He's been offered a new contract with a 70,000 eur per week salary. Ramos has told him, to make a decision as quick as possible, since that would dictate the transfer window for Spurs. Dimitar is holding out, if reason is believed for a club with CL.

Unless, he wants to play for one of his Bulgarian clubs, I don't know of too many clubs who have a vacancy for him and are playing CL.

If I were him, I'd think about Milan very carefully. But then again, he could end up being for us, what Anelka turned out to be for Chelsea.
aLbErTo
not that i would like milan to go but bulgaria should have one team in cl, if not cska than other...if cska is baned from bulgarian judges, then some other team will probably be "winners" (bulgarian inter of course) and so they should compete in CL
m1ke
^^ That is how I read the rules currently on Uefa's website (link here - http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf). I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens.
dst
QUOTE (IoRDanCHo @ Jun 4 2008, 03:05 PM)
I have mixed feeling about the whole thing :? My favorite club is Levski Sofia, as I am from Bulgaria, but what can Levski do in CL? Was already thinking about a clash between Milan and Levski, but **** happens. Though I am happy about CSKA, I hate those ugly a** MAfu**ers!

So what is reported over there? Is Levski or Milan next in line?
Jack Sparrow
Ought to be Levski. We're using financial and economic and image muscle if we get through. We've enough sh!tty luck without having to add in more bad karma. Let the other Bulgarian club get in. We need a break from CL anyway, to build up a new team and tune and tweak it. I'd rather test my team against the likes of Everton etc, than risk going up against Madrid or so. biggrin.gif
m1ke
Porto Banned From The Champions League

Portuguese champions Porto have been banned from the Champions League for one year due to their involvement in the bribery scandal...

What's going on ohmy.gif
Zed.D
Porto Out Of The Champions League

WTF is going on biggrin.gif
Zed.D
Unfortunately we need an Italian team banned...
Jack Sparrow
POOOOOORTTTTTIKINNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Break out the Tuborg baby....I knew you did something...you sly sonnoffagun!!!! Way to go...congratulations!!!

Goooo Benficaaaaa!! Rui forever!!! king.gif

Oh did you guys hear about us feeling up Miguel Veloso....this seems like a day full of pleasant rumours after yesterday's losing Carlo, losing Kaka fiasco...too bad this will also turn out to be fumes. sad.gif
arivanjj
damn...
Zed.D
Please... someone ban Inter... please cry.gif
whoarethepatriots
PORTO THROWN OUT OF THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!

I DIDNT KNOW WHERE TO PUT IT (NO 08/89 THREAD). SUPPOSEDLY IT WAS FOR SOMETHING INVOLVING REFEREES OR MATCH OFFICIALS

edit:

Former European champions Porto have been thrown out of next season's UEFA Champions League by Uefa.

The 2003/04 Champions League winners, under the guidance of Jose Mourinho, were punished after being found guilty of bribing referees in two games in the same season.

Source: Skysports

Edit: Porto may be able to get through using an appeal (similar to us in 06) otherwise Benfica will be granted a place
dst
Porto banned? Is it official?

WTF!!? huh.gif

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jun 4 2008, 04:07 PM)
Please... someone ban Inter... please cry.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif
whoarethepatriots
Yep its definetly official. Several news site have confirmed it and its all over Skysports ews
aLbErTo
ok, things are getting interesting...forza milan biggrin.gif
dst
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 4 2008, 04:13 PM)
Edit: Porto may be able to get through using an appeal (similar to us in 06) otherwise Benfica will be granted a place

It's not the same. Milan were banned by the Italian sporting justice and then appealed. Porto only lost some points that did not even cost them the championship - that was the decision from the Portuguese judges. But it's now UEFA (after making an investigation of their own) that have banned them.

I hope they stay out! I want Rui's Benfica in!!! smile.gif

If the ban is not lifted then I guess Quaresma / Lucho and maybe others will be leaving Porto after the Euro!??
whoarethepatriots
Looks like the CL has gone (again) The decision is upto the Bulgarian FA so the next team in line will probably make it (Levski i think)
armiss
In both cases there is not clear still that according to the rules second team will have this permission or the highest UEFA ranked team ! in both i think Uefa will judge and even maybe in both we are the choice ! as mike said we must wait and see what Uefa will say ! we dont know the rules by details so we must wait and see !
armiss
More details about Porto conditions :

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=51...sid=705421.html
IoRDanCHo
Levski is in, we're out. I hope Levski can do something in the CL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.