Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FIFA Congress Approves Quota Scheme
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
Jack Sparrow
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has received a massive boost in his plans to implement the ‘6+5’ rule, after the world’s national federations voted overwhelmingly in favour of the proposal…

The FIFA World Congress convened in Sydney yesterday to moot the issue, voting 155 to 5 (with 40 abstinences) in favour of Blatter’s plan to limit foreign players within clubs.

If ultimately passed, the rule would see all clubs forced to field at least six homegrown players per match, in an attempt to encourage the development of local talent in countries flooded by imports.

The quota scheme has met with strong opposition in Europe, especially from the continent’s biggest clubs, many of whose squads will have to be overhauled to meet requirements.

The European Union have also opposed the scheme, claiming that in its current format it is illegal as it would restrict players’ rights to move freely between EU countries.

Thus, Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini were asked "to explore all means within the limits of the law to ensure that these crucial sporting objectives be achieved."

If this goes through, then three clubs I can think of who are in deep shite are Inter, Arsenal and Chelsea And Madrid's mid-field??. Though Chelsea will probably just buy Micah Richards. biggrin.gif

We have if I'm not wrong.. Oddo..Nesta...Pirlo...Ambro...Rino...Pippo as starters. So now we might have Borriello and Abbiati as well. So this sounds safe for us.

In what way do you think it can be made legal??

6 players in the team must either be nationals and/or have been recruits from the youth squad?? Will that suffice?
dst
This is stupid!
amancik
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 30 2008, 09:03 AM)
We have if I'm not wrong.. Oddo..Nesta...Pirlo...Ambro...Rino...Pippo as starters. So now we might have Borriello and Abbiati as well. So this sounds safe for us.

and Zambrotta ..
han2503
Inter might as well just pack up and move to Argentina.
dst
Inter will not have a problem. 4 native players will be required by 2010, 5 the next year and 6 after that.
m1ke
One of his only good ideas in my opinion. Although what's to stop the big clubs forging a 'Super League' and playing under their own rules?
dst
Actually, Milan will have as big a problem as Inter... I cannot imagine that by 2012, Ambro, Oddo, Nesta, Pirlo, Ambro, Rino, Pippo and Zambrotta if he comes will be starters... so think again before laughing at Inter!
Fillipo Simone
Guys as far as I know, EU rejected the proposal...
morgoth
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 30 2008, 03:30 PM)

Yes they did, but the next president of the EU is France (July I think) so I can see thing going through easily ...
kurtsimonw
Would be nice if it did go through. Arsenal would be in major trouble, Inter too!
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 09:00 PM)
Would be nice if it did go through. Arsenal would be in major trouble, Inter too!

D'oh! No one reads my posts! cry.gif I thought that at least I wasn't wasting my life on nothing!! biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
What posts? biggrin.gif
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 30 2008, 02:30 PM)

I heard the only country to reject it is England...

Surprise surprise rolleyes.gif

IMO it is an excellent idea, probably the best thing Blatter has ever come up with. Anything that brings on young home grown players can only be a positive.
kurtsimonw
I don't see what the EUs problem is with it to be honest. How on earth is it stopping foreigners playing? If I can read correctly, which I believe I can, it states that only 6 players need to be home grown. So what about the other 5 spots, surely that's for the foreigners? huh.gif Not only that, but football teams have a squad, teams that have a squad of 22 players could still have upto 16 foreigners, yeah, it's really stopping them from working isn't it. rolleyes.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ May 30 2008, 06:46 PM)
I heard the only country to reject it is England...

Surprise surprise rolleyes.gif

Nah, the majority did.
morgoth
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 07:50 PM)
I don't see what the EUs problem is with it to be honest. How on earth is it stopping foreigners playing? If I can read correctly, which I believe I can, it states that only 6 players need to be home grown. So what about the other 5 spots, surely that's for the foreigners? huh.gif Not only that, but football teams have a squad, teams that have a squad of 22 players could still have upto 16 foreigners, yeah, it's really stopping them from working isn't it. rolleyes.gif

Working in a sense of playing ...

Wait a second, this rule is about home grown players or about national players (like Italians for Milan)? unsure.gif

(I think it's about national players, but I could be wrong)
morgoth
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 07:54 PM)
Nah, the majority did.

Yeah, the majority did because it's against the EU laws of exploiting others ... dry.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (morgoth @ May 30 2008, 06:54 PM)
Working in a sense of playing ...

Wait a second, this rule is about home grown players or about national players (like Italians for Milan)? unsure.gif

(I think it's about national players, but I could be wrong)

I think it's home grown - so the likes of Fabregas would be considered 'English' enough to play.

The only thing that's annoying me about the whole thing is that it all seems to have come about during Englands dominance of Europe. How come there was no talk of this from UEFA with the all Spanish and all Italian finals? Typical!

In my opinion, this doesn't need to be introduced into the first team. Take on the problem at it's source - youth football. If no foreigners are allowed in youth teams it will help development, and it will also stop teams stealing youngsters from other countries.
morgoth
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 07:58 PM)
I think it's home grown - so the likes of Fabregas would be considered 'English' enough to play.

The only thing that's annoying me about the whole thing is that it all seems to have come about during Englands dominance of Europe. How come there was no talk of this from UEFA with the all Spanish and all Italian finals? Typical!

Are you sure about it, I think the home grown rule is already applied in eufa competitions, and I don't think a club like Arsenal would be worrying that much if it was about home grown players, they actually have a lot of young players who started at the club at 17/18 years old unsure.gif

biggrin.gif No I don't think it has something to do with the English dominance, but it sure has a lot to do with all the fuss following England's participation at the euro, all this "there's a lot of foreigns in our league" came from England after all ...

In my opinion, this doesn't need to be introduced into the first team. Take on the problem at it's source - youth football. If no foreigners are allowed in youth teams it will help development, and it will also stop teams stealing youngsters from other countries.

That's exactly why I think it's about the national players and not the home grown ones!
kurtsimonw
I really don't know whether it's home grown or national then. Haven't a clue!
mishie
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 07:09 PM)
I really don't know whether it's home grown or national then. Haven't a clue!

basically the rule is that the player has to be in the academy for at least 2 years from the ages of 13-16 it doesn't matter if say he was french but in england as long as he has come through the academy he is then classed as home grown
kurtsimonw
Ah, so this rule will just cause teams like Arsenal to do what they do even more - steal talents of other clubs!
mishie
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 07:15 PM)
Ah, so this rule will just cause teams like Arsenal to do what they do even more - steal talents of other clubs!

yep! sad.gif
morgoth
Ok it's what I though here's the official definition of the 6+5 rule.

Definition of 6+5
- At the beginning of each match, each club must field at least 6 who are players eligible to play for the national team of the country of the club.
- However, there is:
- no restriction on the number of non-eligible players under contract with the club,
- nor on substitutes to avoid non-sportive constraints on the coaches (potentially 3+8 at the end of a match).

Source
whoarethepatriots
This could create further imbalance. All the big teams would choose the best nationals and leave the lower clubs to look for players in a lower division with possibly lower quality. Top teams would still dominate

I want to see a stop to young players being poached by (mostly) premiership clubs. That is a bigger problem than this
kurtsimonw
So Fabregas wouldn't count? As he is NOT eligible to play for this country, as he has already appearaed for Spain?
morgoth
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ May 30 2008, 08:48 PM)
This could create further imbalance. All the big teams would choose the best nationals and leave the lower clubs to look for players in a lower division with possibly lower quality. Top teams would still dominate

I want to see a stop to young players being poached by (mostly) premiership clubs. That is a bigger problem than this

Unfortunately this will always be the case, most players will always choose the top clubs and the money, and I think this rule has nothing to do it ...
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 06:54 PM)
Nah, the majority did.

Radio 1 said yesterday that all the other countries accepted it yet England didn't.
mishie
the english fa have publicly back the idea tonight
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (mishie @ May 30 2008, 07:13 PM)
basically the rule is that the player has to be in the academy for at least 2 years from the ages of 13-16 it doesn't matter if say he was french but in england as long as he has come through the academy he is then classed as home grown

I copied this from the article:
If ultimately passed, the rule would see all clubs forced to field at least six homegrown players per match, [/B]in an attempt to encourage the development of local talent in countries flooded by imports[B].

Now this looks like homegrown players, i.e.English players in England, Italian players in Italy etc

huh.gif
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 30 2008, 06:58 PM)

Ironically this comes after England fail to qualify for Euro 2008...

There are too many foreigners in the prem, giving younger English players a chance will benefit England in future years.
kurtsimonw
I'm not sure that's the only reason. BBC did an article a few days ago comparing the big 4 leagues and how many home and foreign players they had. England and Germany weren't too far off each other, yet the German NT is fine!
I_Rossoneri

Arsenal would be screwed ohmy.gif
kurtsimonw
Most would. Only 2 teams in the league meet the limits! I think most could at a push though, United have 6 English players starting in the CL Final, so I think it'd mean they'd just dominate the league even more if this rule was bought in.
dst
I still don't see a problem right now. This is just more Blatter bs! I don't like seeing teams field only foreigners but how can anyone say this is a problem? If that's what a club wants to do then they should be able to do it in my opinion.

Also, I couldn't care less about what will happen to Arsenal or United. Do you guys realize Milan is in big trouble if this stupid thing is applied? NOT A SINGLE ONE OF OUR CURRENT STARTERS WILL BE STARTERS IN 2012 WHEN THIS IS PLANNED TO GO THROUGH!!!
Fillipo Simone
^ Except maybe Pirlo, right? With 34, team captain,...

Nah, 5 years to go, Milan will do what is neccesary. We'll just buy some younger italian players and I also belive Paloschi will be there plus at least some of the other primaveras/young players.
dst
Of course we'll do what it takes but I'm just pointing out that we're not assured...
whoarethepatriots
This will change nothing as a "homegrown" player is the Fabregas type (trained in a country regardless of nationality between 15-21) all it does is encourages clubs to buy them young. Whats worse is that home talents like (future versions of) Palsochi for us, Balotelli for Inter and Giovinco for Juve may be pushed out for players like Fabregas who clearly are not homegrown.

Something needs to change and this proposal will not not help
morgoth
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 1 2008, 03:01 PM)
This will change nothing as a "homegrown" player is the Fabregas type (trained in a country regardless of nationality between 15-21) all it does is encourages clubs to buy them young. Whats worse is that home talents like (future versions of) Palsochi for us, Balotelli for Inter and Giovinco for Juve may be pushed out for players like Fabregas who clearly are not homegrown.

Something needs to change and this proposal will not not help

Again, it's not about home grown players but about national players, as far as I'm concerned Fabregas isn't eligible to play for England, so that rules him out ...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (morgoth @ Jun 1 2008, 03:02 PM)
Again, it's not about home grown players but about national players, as far as I'm concerned Fabregas isn't eligible to play for England, so that rules him out ...

"If ultimately passed, the rule would see all clubs forced to field at least six homegrown players per match, in an attempt to encourage the development of local talent in countries flooded by imports."

It is homegrown. So Faregas WOULD be considered 'English' in a sense. I think it means players between the ages of 15 and 21 need to play at least 3 years of their football in a certain country in order to be considered homegrown by that country.

It will just cause teams to steal youngsters from one another on an even more regular basis. dry.gif
Jack Sparrow
^^

Well the reverse would also work out kurt. Teams would be less eager to let any of their youngsters with potential go out easy. For eg. Barca would probably just make a better offer than what Arsenal did to keep Cesc in.
whoarethepatriots
Italian and Spanish teams cant fight it out with Premiership clubs financially and also they cant offer below 18 year olds professional contracts. Nothing is going to dissuade them from doing taking youth from other clubs

This is the bigger problem and Platini needs to do something about it
morgoth
Definition of 6+5
- At the beginning of each match, each club must field at least 6 who are players eligible to play for the national team of the country of the club.
- However, there is:
- no restriction on the number of non-eligible players under contract with the club,
- nor on substitutes to avoid non-sportive constraints on the coaches (potentially 3+8 at the end of a match).

This is from fifa.com
dst
laugh.gif Morgoth I don't think they're paying attention...
morgoth
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 3 2008, 04:05 PM)
laugh.gif Morgoth I don't think they're paying attention...

Me too unsure.gif that's why I changed the size, because size really matter ...
dst
QUOTE (morgoth @ Jun 3 2008, 06:11 PM)
Me too unsure.gif that's why I changed the size, because size really matter ...

laugh.gif Let's see...
kurtsimonw
Hmm. So the article about the quotation thing states it's for homegrown, but the FIFA thing says they must be eligible for the NT.. confusing!

It's never going to happen, so I don't think there's need for worrying about it. tongue.gif
I_Rossoneri
Homegrown = nationals and not foreigners.

For once it's something that would benefit everyone, national teams would get stronger and youth players would be given more chances. Just a shame that the nazi EU will oppose it mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.