Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rino looks to the future
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2
dst
Rino looks to the future
Friday 2 May, 2008

Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso knows that defeat isn’t an option in Sunday’s derby and has discussed the possibility of life after the Rossoneri.

The world champions need to pick up maximum points from now on if they are to remain in the hunt for a Champions League spot next term, but they have their work cut out against an Inter side who can secure the Scudetto with victory.

“Playing in these huge games like Sunday’s derby is the best thing,” Gattuso told Sky Sport Italia. “They are the matches that give you a huge adrenaline boost.

“We certainly can’t lose the derby. It could go either way. They are missing lots of players and we are going to go for it.

“Since December 23, however, Inter have only picked up two more points than us.

“If you look at the records at home and away it’s clear that something didn’t work. And recently we have made ridiculously hard work of the so-called ‘small’ teams.”

The Azzurri star will come up against one of his Italy teammates in Marco Materazzi, who is a close friend.

“I met Marco one evening in a bar in Perugia when I was very young,” Rino explained.

“There was a bouncer causing trouble and he helped me because he was a little older.”

Paolo Maldini is set to retire at the end of the season, leaving the side looking for a new captain.

“It’s only right that Massimo Ambrosini is the next Milan captain and I’ve said that to the directors lots of times,” Gattuso said.

“The captain’s armband should go to a player who has been with the Rossoneri for many years like he has.”

As for Gattuso’s future, many think that he will leave in a summer clearout and he is weighing up his options.

“I would like to have the chance to play in the Premier League because I think that I have the characteristics to play there,” he stressed.

“It is my dream and I have never denied that. When I leave Milan I will only wear the shirt of a foreign side. But Spain would be hard because it isn’t a League that suits the way I play.

“It would certainly be impossible to play for Inter, just as it would be to represent Celtic.”

channel4

... sleep.gif
morgoth
In another interview Rino said he didn't want R10 and he prefers Toni. He said Milan have a lot of players with the same characteristics (Kaka, Pato and Seedorf) and it would be useless to have another one. In the other hand, he said that we need someone like Luca Toni.

Maybe this is where all the fuss about his departure came from ...
Bluesummers
theres alot of bs going on behind the scenes. but in all honesty i would like to see him in epl. He has done a lot of years of service to us and we can at least give him the chance to play in epl for 2 years till he retires. Hes 30.
Tennie
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ May 2 2008, 12:00 PM)
theres alot of bs going on behind the scenes.  but in all honesty i would like to see him in epl.  He has done a lot of years of service to us and we can at least give him the chance to play in epl for 2 years till he retires.  Hes 30.

I don't get this. Why would we want to? Are you assuming that the EPL is an intrinsically better place to play?
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ May 2 2008, 10:07 AM)
I don't get this. Why would we want to? Are you assuming that the EPL is an intrinsically better place to play?

no because he wants to play there. It suits his style better and he played for rangers and liked it. Thats why.
Tennie
Dude, Rangers is not in the EPL. They're in Scotland. smile.gif So saying we'll let him go to the EPL is not even remotely connected to Rangers. And I don't see anything about the Italian game not suiting his level of play.

Gonna have to disagree rather strongly with your assertions on this one, Bluesummers.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ May 2 2008, 11:12 AM)
Dude, Rangers is not in the EPL. They're in Scotland. smile.gif So saying we'll let him go to the EPL is not even remotely connected to Rangers. And I don't see anything about the Italian game not suiting his level of play.

Gonna have to disagree rather strongly with your assertions on this one, Bluesummers.

LOL! i know rangers is not in the epl, lmfao! I'm saying scottish game and english game are alike. And yes his style of playing fits the "english game" much better than the italian one. In the UK he wouldn't get as many yellow cards as he does in italy. Not saying serie A is any lower its just hes built for epl.

besides wouldn't you want to see gattuso in the premiership? I would. I mean i would rather have him move their than say bayern or to real madrid. Whether we like it or not it looks like hes getting ready to retire very soon and before he does he wants to try out another league.
Tennie
The premiership is the very last place I'd like to see any Azzurri player, even Materazzi. I'd rather see them playing MLS. (Yes, this is me voicing my general dislike for the EPL and contempt for the generally unbearable arrogance from the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, etc.). If Rino wants to go to Madrid or Bayern or the Huns, fine. But I'd be really, really disappointed if he sold out and went ot England.

Plus there's the fact that he's probably the most popular footballer in Italy. When I was there in March, there were 3 different Gattuso commercials on telly in Italy (2 for Vodaphone and 1 for an energy drink sort of like Gatorade). He's absolutely adored in Italy -- and he'd be throwing a lot of that goodwill away if he went to England. Milan would lose too, in the public opinion sphere, for letting Rino go.

So no, I wouldn't ever want to see him playing in England.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ May 2 2008, 11:31 AM)
The premiership is the very last place I'd like to see any Azzurri player, even Materazzi. I'd rather see them playing MLS. (Yes, this is me voicing my general dislike for the EPL and contempt for the generally unbearable arrogance from the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, etc.). If Rino wants to go to Madrid or Bayern or the Huns, fine. But I'd be really, really disappointed if he sold out and went ot England.

Plus there's the fact that he's probably the most popular footballer in Italy. When I was there in March, there were 3 different Gattuso commercials on telly in Italy (2 for Vodaphone and 1 for an energy drink sort of like Gatorade). He's absolutely adored in Italy -- and he'd be throwing a lot of that goodwill away if he went to England. Milan would lose too, in the public opinion sphere, for letting Rino go.

So no, I wouldn't ever want to see him playing in England.

i disagree with ya. I would love to see him in epl for sole purpose of good football. But ofcourse i can't change your mind so i will stop. You dislike epl, which is fair.

i'll leave it at agree to disagree.

oh and if you dont believe me ask the g-dog himself:

“It’s a dream that I have always had and I have never hidden that fact. I think I have all the right characteristics to play in the Premier League.”
Rossoneri7
He has the characteristics. If he was ever put for sale buy the club, the biggest clubs in Europe would surround him like vultures .. Ronaldinho who ?! innocent.gif

With that said, I believe he will remain with Milan king.gif
morgoth
Rino is the soul of Milan and should stay with us, it would be a huge mistake from the management to let him go! With that in mind, Rino said several times that he'd like to end his career in Scotland with the Rangers, not in the EPL. Now here's my question, do you guys think that he's going to end his career at 30 years old? Think again guys wink.gif cool.gif devilsmiley.gif
I_Rossoneri
If he wants to leave then that is fine by me, there are plenty of better alternatives around. I am sick of hearing all this "I would like to play in the prem/scotland" nonsense - just go smile.gif
kurtsimonw
Yeah, don't talk about it. Say you're staying or leave, stop messing around. I think he'll be here for a few more years, and it wouldn't exactly be a disaster if he was to leave. Especially if we do bring in Flamini.
Warchant
Gattuso 'dreams' of Prem switch

AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has put the Premier League's big guns on alert by revealing he dreams of one day playing in England.

The Italian World Cup winner, who spent a short spell in Scotland with Rangers earlier in his career, has endured a tough season in Italy as his side struggle to obtain the fourth and final Champions League spot in Serie A.

Milan lie in fifth place, two points behind Fiorentina with three games remaining.

Gattuso has publicly announced his displeasure at his club's position in the Italian press, and was not shy in discussing his future in an interview with the Corriere dello Sport newspaper.

"I'd like the chance to play in the Premier League," he said. "It's a dream I've always had and have never hidden. I think I have the right characteristics to play in that championship."

For Gattuso, the Champions League semi-finals have perfectly highlighted the similarities in style between Italy and the Premier League.

Three English sides made up the final four teams involved, with two of them - Manchester United and Chelsea - advancing to the final.

While no Italian side progressed beyond the quarter-finals, Gattuso says the Italian style of counter-attacking football known as 'catenaccio' was there for all to see.

"I have to say that what I've seen in these semi-finals has been a very Italian style of play. Plenty of catenaccio," he added.

"When I started playing football everybody said that the Italian style of play was 'anti-football', that teams only thought about defending.

"Instead it turns out that everyone else has copied us."

by RivalsDM
Habitant
and people want this guy as captain?

pff
I_Rossoneri
Sell him while his stock is relatively high, only trouble is I can't think of a prem side he would suit.

He's got a point about catenaccio though, funny how he didn't mention rangers though! wink.gif
kurtsimonw
It makes you wonder how loyal some players are. It's all well and good saying you love the club and thumping the badge of the team when you're winning games, but Milan have not had many bad seasons in his time here, just 1 I think, and that was a while ago. So when it looks like we won't qualify for the Champions League, he's starting to think about moving elsewhere. Rino doesn't sound half as loyal as some people think him to be.
I_Rossoneri
I think people get carried away because Rino runs to the crowd beating his chest . I remember a certain Ukranian kissing the shirt of his new club after scoring on his debut - and now he wants to return to his old club smile.gif

Doesn't mean a thing really wink.gif
morgoth
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 3 2008, 10:49 PM)
It makes you wonder how loyal some players are. It's all well and good saying you love the club and thumping the badge of the team when you're winning games, but Milan have not had many bad seasons in his time here, just 1 I think, and that was a while ago. So when it looks like we won't qualify for the Champions League, he's starting to think about moving elsewhere. Rino doesn't sound half as loyal as some people think him to be.

You're wrong to think Rino is not loyal, you have a clue of what's going on behind the scene, why he wants to leave or even if it's true, in fact no one knows!!!

If Rino has an issue with the management and wants to leave, then I'll say thanks for every thing, it was a pleasure to watch play for us, now good bye and good luck. End of story.

Unlike a certain person, Rino didn't say anything, he didn't say or he'll leave, who knows, maybe he just wants a pay rise, maybe his agent is making all this fuss, maybe he feels no motivation anymore, maybe, maybe and maybe ...
kurtsimonw
He never said hes going to leave, but the whole "I'd like to play in the Premier League one day" thing was really unnecessary. Now we look like we'll finish 4th, no doubt he'll commit to us. rolleyes.gif

I thought he was fairly poor again today, I certainly prefer Ambro to him in the DM position. So hopefully Ambro - Pirlo - Flamini next season!
morgoth
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 4 2008, 04:24 PM)
He never said hes going to leave, but the whole "I'd like to play in the Premier League one day" thing was really unnecessary. Now we look like we'll finish 4th, no doubt he'll commit to us. rolleyes.gif

I thought he was fairly poor again today, I certainly prefer Ambro to him in the DM position. So hopefully Ambro - Pirlo - Flamini next season!

If you thought Rino was bad today, how would you describe Pirlo's performance?

About the EPL, he said that 3 or 4 years back, it's not something new to anyone ...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (morgoth @ May 4 2008, 03:27 PM)
If you thought Rino was bad today, how would you describe Pirlo's performance?

About the EPL, he said that 3 or 4 years back, it's not something new to anyone ...

I thought Pirlo was the worst of the 5 midfielders, I agree there, but Rino was sitll poor. And I hadn't realised Rino had said anything about a move to the EPL previously.
morgoth
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 4 2008, 04:38 PM)
I thought Pirlo was the worst of the 5 midfielders, I agree there, but Rino was sitll poor. And I hadn't realised Rino had said anything about a move to the EPL previously.

Well, now you do wink.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 4 2008, 06:24 PM)

Ringo said that two years ago ... After Istanbul, when United were showing real interest in him.

This is just the media adding spice
han2503
Personally I can't see Rino leaving until he's about to retire and then maybe I can see him leaving for Scotland but other then that I can't see him moving to the premiership.

All players come out and say these things sometimes, but 75% of the time they don't actually happen.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 5 2008, 04:39 PM)
Personally I can't see Rino leaving until he's about to retire and then maybe I can see him leaving for Scotland but other then that I can't see him moving to the premiership.

All players come out and say these things sometimes, but 75% of the time they don't actually happen.

+1

Almost everyone says what happened was Ferguson made a offer for Rino, and since the wages were pretty high, it was a 'stoked' thing...trying to get a better contract for Rino. I'm sure it'll happen too.

Oh btw...you young punk, what're you doing on the forum? Get your @ss back to school!
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 5 2008, 11:13 AM)
+1

Almost everyone says what happened was Ferguson made a offer for Rino, and since the wages were pretty high, it was a 'stoked' thing...trying to get a better contract for Rino. I'm sure it'll happen too.

Oh btw...you young punk, what're you doing on the forum? Get your @ss back to school!

I got out of there about 2 hours ago. And what are you lazy @ss doing on the forum?
Devillito
Gattuso Is Staying At Milan – Agent
The agent of Gennaro Gattuso has declared that his client will be staying at Milan next season.

Hardman Gattuso has had a disappointing campaign for Milan, and has failed to reproduce the form that saw him crowned World Champion with Italy in 2006, and European Champion with Milan last year. 

There have been reports in the Italian media over the past few weeks that the Rossoneri are set to offload Gattuso in the summer.

A number of big clubs have been linked with making a move for the 30-year-old, including Real Madrid, Manchester United, and most of all Bayern Munich, who even recently declared their interest. 

The imminent signing today of Arsenal’s Matthieu Flamini has fuelled further doubt over Gattuso’s future. However the player’s agent insists that he will be honouring his contract at San Siro. 

"’Ringhio’ to leave Milan? Gattuso thinks only about Milan and making sure that the team reaches the Champions League,” said Claudio Pasqualin. 

“He has a very long contract with the Rossonero club and has every intention to respect it." 

Gattuso offered possibly his best performance of the season yesterday as Milan beat Inter 2-1 in the derby to move into fourth place in Serie A.   huh.gif 

Roberto Rossi

Sometimes i think most journalist in italy are stupid. sleep.gif
Zed.D
I prefer to wait... I've got this feeling that he wants to leave. can't understand why we signed Flamini so quickly... I mean did we really need a defensive mid that much while there are more important deficiencies [FW, CB, LB/RB and even GK]?...
Jack Sparrow
^^

Flamini is more than just a pure DM, like say Diarra or Mascherano. He is that go- between somewhere in the middle of the hard tackling low passing Gattuso and the playmaking Pirlo.

He is also capable of supporting attacks. Something Ambro and Rino are not able to do, when we play the 4-3-2-1. Since Rino is not too good at being creative...and Ambro while he can pass when in touch, he prefers to remain deep, and not spend too much time in the final third. And unlike Ambro, I think Flamini has got a good 2-3 years of improvement in him.

A good purchase for a Bosman. I hope he delivers.

Now..bring me that fullback, and Cigarini.(I just like the name Cigarini more than Dessena).
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 5 2008, 06:19 PM)
^^

Flamini is more than just a pure DM, like say Diarra or Mascherano. He is that go- between somewhere in the middle of the hard tackling low passing Gattuso and the playmaking Pirlo.

He is also capable of supporting attacks. Something Ambro and Rino are not able to do, when we play the 4-3-2-1. Since Rino is not too good at being creative...and Ambro while he can pass when in touch, he prefers to remain deep, and not spend too much time in the final third. And unlike Ambro, I think Flamini has got a good 2-3 years of improvement in him.

Now..bring me that fullback, and Cigarini.(I just like the name Cigarini more than Dessena).

ohmy.gif

Blashpemy! Here Dessena is revered as a god. Cigarini is amazing too but Dessena is untouchable

king.gif
dst
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ May 5 2008, 09:14 PM)
I prefer to wait... I've got this feeling that he wants to leave. can't understand why we signed Flamini so quickly... I mean did we really need a defensive mid that much while there are more important deficiencies [FW, CB, LB/RB and even GK]?...

I agree... I don't want him to go and I'd like to believe it's all bullshit but I'm going to have to wait.

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 5 2008, 09:19 PM)

Diarra!?!? laugh.gif That guy cannot make a good pass to someone right next to him... he's worse than Sissoko at Liverpool! Mascherano also is not doing anything worth mentioning attacking-wise. Flamini can pass and has good vision and is also good at shooting from distance... but if we're talking about 'attacking DMF's' then look no further than Essien... this guy is some levels above anyone else!

I think we're probably going to be playing the Christmas tree most of the time next season too. And that means Pirlo and 2 pure DMF's. These guys run (I'm not talking just about covering distance, I'm talking about real running) much more than anyone else and for a team that's playing with 2 of them and wants to fight on all fronts (as we supposedly do) it's more than essential to have 3 great of them (Gattuso, Ambro, Flamini) and one or two subs (Brocchi, Emerson).

So Flamini coming does not necessarily mean Gattuso is going unless we're going to focus on (ie play only for) the CL next season...

Yes, full-backs. Zambrotta and one more please! Cigarini is Pirlo-type (not that there's anyone like Pirlo, this guy is unique king.gif king.gif king.gif ) while Dessena is a DMF fighter...

If we're picking players by name I want Munitis and Capucho... their names are both dirty words in Greek! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ May 5 2008, 09:46 PM)
Blashpemy! Here Dessena is revered as a god. Cigarini is amazing too but Dessena is untouchable

Where is that!?
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (dst @ May 5 2008, 07:14 PM)
Where is that!?

It was a call to arms for Crociati lovers
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ May 5 2008, 09:14 PM)

Well he was free, Juve and co were already in contact with him. And did I mention he was free tongue.gif

I really think he is the perfect sub for either of Milan's starting DMs, or even Pirlo ...

As for the other areas ... I think with time, the names will be revealed smile.gif

p.s. a couple of weeks ago, Don Ceseare said Milan were negotiating with five players. So I guess one down, four to go 96.gif
dst
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ May 5 2008, 11:07 PM)
It was a call to arms for Crociati lovers

biggrin.gif I like 'em too! I hope they survive!! What happens if they finish 3rd from bottom?
Jack Sparrow
unsure.gif Don't the last three teams always go down?

Cigarini for me. We'll let the Crociati keep Dessena. biggrin.gif

However ideally, I'd raid Parma to get Dessena, Cigarini and hopefully Paponi. That scorpion kick was something else.
LaPalma
Ciao Gattuso: Bayern a un passo
Per "Ringhio" pronto un contratto da 6 milioni di euro

Il dado è (quasi) tratto, il Milan vincitutto di Ancelotti sembra destinato a perdere un pezzo della sua storia: Gennaro Gattuso ha trovato un accordo di massima con il Bayern Monaco ed è pronto, dopo 9 anni, a lasciare Milanello.

Nonostante la doppia virata,  in classifica e nelle strategie di mercato, effettuata nelle ultimissime settimane del club di Via Turati, il centrocampista azzurro non ha cambiato idea sul futuro suo e del Milan. Nove anni, oltre trecento partite, uno scudetto, due titoli europei e uno mondiale:  per Rino è giunta davvero la fine di un ciclo e le voglie di aprire una nuova pagina, di crearsi nuovi stimoli e di vivere un'esperienza umana e professionale diversa prima di chiudere si fanno sentire comunque più dei messaggi di affetto (e anche di segnali concreti) di società e tifosi. La morale è che la corte dei bavaresi neo-campioni di Germania, orchestrata da Toni e condotta da Rummenigge e Franz Beckenbauer ha avuto successo, accompagnata da un contratto-top: si parla di un accordo quadriennale sulla base di 6 milioni di euro annui. Uno in più, grosso modo, di quanto Gattuso percepisce al Milan.

Ma i soldi, davvero, con un uomo come Rino non sono la causa, semmai l'effetto. Lui ha deciso: ora la palla è nelle piedi del Milan e di Galliani, che è sicuramente disposto a qualsiasi sforzo, non solo economico, per trattenere "Ringhio". Il caso-Shevchenko (anche se maturato in termini completamente diversi) insegna però come la volontà del giocatore pesi più di qualsiasi strategia. E se la volontà del giocatore è irremovibile, non resta che strappare il più possibile al compratore: Gattuso potrebbe portare nelle casse del Milan almeno 15-20 milioni di euro o garantire (accompagnato da conguaglio) l'arrivo di Willy Sagnol. A meno che la clamorosa contropartita possa essere rappresentata da Toni....

It claims that Rinos transfer to Bayern is almost a done deal. Bayern pays between 15 and 20 million for him and also includes Sagnol in the deal. I hope this is just made up cry.gif Rino in a Bayern jersey....I couldn't stand that sad.gif
kurtsimonw
15m Euros for Rino? I'd take that any day.
Bluesummers
hes also getting 6 million euros a year from bayern where as we give him 4.5
dst
Together with Sagnol that makes up to at least 18m euros. I would not sell him but I think his price is no less than 20m euros.

I do hope he stays! I'm surprised he's (as it seems) so desperate to leave.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (dst @ May 8 2008, 11:58 AM)
Together with Sagnol that makes up to at least 18m euros. I would not sell him but I think his price is no less than 20m euros.

I do hope he stays! I'm surprised he's (as it seems) so desperate to leave.

with ambro style perfromances these days it looks like gattuso might have to take bench to flamini and he doesn't want that which is one of the reasons he's wanting to leave. Also his best is done and he knows it. He isn't gonna improve anymore and it looks like his form is just dropping. Sort of like sheva incident.
Tennie
^^ That's assuming Ambro has another season where he's healthy. This is the first injury-free season Massimo's had in...ever, I think.
LaPalma
But why Bayern? Why of all teams does it have to be Bayern???? freak.gif wacko.gif freak.gif
dst
QUOTE (LaPalma @ May 8 2008, 09:16 PM)
But why Bayern? Why of all teams does it have to be Bayern???? freak.gif  wacko.gif  freak.gif

I'm with you. sleep.gif
Tennie
At least it's not Schalke, La Palma. 96.gif
acid911
Bayern is still one of the three best teams in Europe. The powerhouses. Milan, Madrid and Bayern. It's another thing people don't like two of the three clubs mentioned. laugh.gif He's choosing Bayern because of Toni. I'm dead sure of it. I've read Toni wants Gattuso with him next season. But yeah, it could very well have been another club or league.

Honestly, I'm a tad surprised some people wanted this guy as our captain. He's willing to sell himself for a couple of million more. dry.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (acid911 @ May 8 2008, 12:28 PM)
Bayern is still one of the three best teams in Europe. The powerhouses. Milan, Madrid and Bayern. It's another thing people don't like two of the three clubs mentioned. laugh.gif He's choosing Bayern because of Toni. I'm dead sure of it. I've read Toni wants Gattuso with him next season. But yeah, it could very well have been another club or league.

Honestly, I'm a tad surprised some people wanted this guy as our captain. He's willing to sell himself for a couple of million more. dry.gif

+1 and people said no to kaka dry.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (Tennie @ May 8 2008, 07:28 PM)
At least it's not Schalke, La Palma.  96.gif

I don't know what would be worse....Schalke couldn't afford to pay him anyway...

I absolutely dunno why he wants to leave all of a sudden. I'm really sad....this would be a second Sheva incident....
dst
QUOTE (acid911 @ May 8 2008, 09:28 PM)

We did not know about this, did we?

He's still a Milan player though... let's not rush things.
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ May 8 2008, 07:36 PM)
We did not know about this, did we?

He's still a Milan player though... let's not rush things.

Exactly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.