Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Berlusconi wants 'super' League
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
dst
Berlusconi wants 'super' League
Wednesday 23 April, 2008

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi would like Serie A to become a League for big clubs only.

The 71-year-old, who today stepped down as Milan President, believes a smaller championship would make Italian teams more competitive in Europe.

“The great sides should make their own championship. When you invest a lot in a team it's unthinkable to make them play against a team from the provinces whose stadium, usually with a capacity for 20,000 people, is inevitably half-empty.”

Speaking to Radio Radio, Il Cavaliere explained that teams with fewer spectators should have their own Division, separate from those with large grounds and huge fan bases.

Attendances at Italian football matches have been dropping, despite a recent resurgence, over the last 10 years. Violence, irregular kick-off times and ticket prices have all contributed to the decline.

“When there are great teams playing the stadiums are always full and TV audiences are massive. Only with great teams can we become protagonists in Europe again.”

Aside from owning the Rossoneri, Berlusconi presides over Mediaset, a private television company which has the rights to show Milan, Juventus, Roma and Inter.

channel4

He's a man I admire and respect so I won't comment. sleep.gif
acid911
The only Super League that I could see happening would be a league of 20 of the best clubs in Europe (as opposed to the current Champions League format). The revenue money would be immense, the matches cracking, and we can leave the smaller teams to battle it out for domestic titles. The CL doesn't even start till the knockout stages, if you think about it.

I'm still at a crossroads about how it will work, but no matter what people say about domestic leagues (aside from EPL), this kind of Super League is very much a possibility. wink.gif
kurtsimonw
What on earth is he talking about, if the league were to be made smaller, we'd end up being relegated. We can done over home and away by Atalanta FFS!

As for the poor attandances of smaller clubs, I'm pretty positive that putting them in a serperate league without the likes of Milan, Inter, juve and Roma is not the way to go about improving them. rolleyes.gif
morgoth
As usual berlu shows his arrogance and politic! Surprised? Not at all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.