Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting XI: If Clubs Were Bands ...
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
Zed.D
Starting XI: If Clubs Were Bands ...

Goal.com USA is always looking to combine our love of music with soccer. To follow-up our all-80's Hair Band edition last year, we present to you a more comprehensive look at what artist or groups some of the most well-known soccer clubs take after.

1. Manchester United -- Lynyrd Skynyrd. Both suffered devastating plane crashes and there is little more distinctive in their respective genres than Freebird and Old Trafford. Fortunately, soccer fans don't drunkenly yell for the stadium

2. Villarreal -- Bon Jovi. Fun, poppy, and led by a kid from Jersey.

3. Arsenal -- Britney Spears, pretty and without substance.

4. AC Milan -- The Rolling Stones. Two of the most successful groups of all time. Much like Keith Richards, Paolo Maldini seems like he'll never stop as has hinted about postponing retirement … again.

5. West Ham -- The Police. Just like Stewart Copeland and Sting, Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer were rejoined years after fighting.

6. Juventus -- Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals. Not that the players had anything to do with Moggiopoli.

7. Millwall - 10,000 Maniacs. And that’s just the guys who make every single road trip.

8. Schalke 04 – David Hasselhoff. Great in Germany, not relevant anywhere else.

9. Derby County -- Dire Straits. Enough said.

10. Ajax -- N.W.A. Impressive as a group, its members generally found more success after leaving. But the impact via Total Football and gansta rap are ever lasting.

11. Fulham -- Fall Out Boy. Sad, but true.

BONUS: All-American extras

* Toronto FC – Kinks. Dysfunctional but somehow make beautiful music together.

* New England Revolution -- Rush, with Paul Mariner as Geddy Lee.

* Chivas USA -- Calexico. The fusion of Mexico and the United States.

* Seattle Sounders FC -- Pearl Jam. A Seattle outfit with the guts of another team/band (Seattle Sounders/Mother Love Bone) and were nearly known by another name (Alliance, Reliance, FC/Mookie Blaylock) that was denied. But will the new club have the same success?

* D.C. United -- Johnny Cash. Their new uniforms this season conjure images of The Man In Black. And both have a full trophy case.

* Miami Fusion FC -- Nirvana. Both were ended at the height of their existence. Some of the "band" were able to go onto equally successful careers while the others found success in other ventures. Does this make Ray Hudson the Courtney Love by comparison?

* The U.S. National Team -- Van Halen. The man in charge is now using his son for their latest success.

link
dst
ha! I like the Arsenal comparison... (I know Locke will kill me for saying that)
I love the Dire Straits and I don't see anything great in Derby so... dry.gif

I know who Real Madrid are... The Arrogant Sons of... biggrin.gif Ah! I love this! laugh.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 15 2008, 07:18 PM)
ha! I like the Arsenal comparison... (I know Locke will kill me for saying that)
I love the Dire Straits and I don't see anything great in Derby so... dry.gif

I know who Real Madrid are... The Arrogant Sons of... biggrin.gif Ah! I love this! laugh.gif

Real Madrid are really truly like the Beatles wink.gif
dst
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Apr 15 2008, 06:25 PM)
Real Madrid are really truly like the Beatles  wink.gif

More like Yoko Ono...
Habitant
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 15 2008, 04:30 PM)
More like Yoko Ono...

or milan is john the more talented down to earth one, and real is paul the "i want all the attention" **** head smile.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Apr 15 2008, 03:32 PM)
8. Schalke 04 – David Hasselhoff. Great in Germany, not relevant anywhere else.

That one was the best I thought. biggrin.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 15 2008, 07:09 PM)
That one was the best I thought. biggrin.gif

Me 2 cool.gif So true laugh.gif
Never mess with the Hoff though...he's big here wink.gif
dst
Isn't Hasselhoff the guy from Baywatch? huh.gif That guys is also a singer? Ha! unsure.gif He can't be a... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 15 2008, 10:11 PM)
Isn't Hasselhoff the guy from Baywatch?  huh.gif  That guys is also a singer? Ha! unsure.gif He can't be a...  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

1. He's that guy from Knight Rider!
2. He was my idol when I was a child!
3. And yes....he's a singer as well....
4. He still claims to be responsible or the fall of the Berlin wall in '89. Wana know why? Because of this song
dst
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Apr 16 2008, 12:36 AM)
2. He was my idol when I was a child!
3. And yes....he's a singer as well....
4. He still claims to be responsible or the fall of the Berlin wall in '89. Wana know why? Because of  this song

1. Oh yeah Knight Rider. KR and Baywatch, this guy is a legend! biggrin.gif
2. I bet that has left a scar on your soul
3. Hooked on a feeling... yeah oldie cover, I think I've seen this video before
4. Does he really mean it? huh.gif // laugh.gif laugh.gif @ his jacket!??

So does this guy speak German? He is American right?
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 15 2008, 11:58 PM)
1. Oh yeah Knight Rider. KR and Baywatch, this guy is a legend! biggrin.gif
2. I bet that has left a scar on your soul
3. Hooked on a feeling... yeah oldie cover, I think I've seen this video before
4. Does he really mean it? huh.gif //  laugh.gif  laugh.gif @ his jacket!??

So does this guy speak German? He is American right?

4. I'm afraid he does....

Yep, he's american but was very successfull in Germany in the late 80ies/early 90ies. Always wanted to be like Michael Knight and I still am a bit of an admirer (of Michael Knight...). And yes...he tries to speak German.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Apr 16 2008, 01:36 AM)

OMG !!! looking back at that series .. Thank God for computer graphics !! LOL
morgoth
Yeah that guy was my hero to and now look at what he has become here sad.gif
acid911
Well, to his credit the guy was fairly decent in the last movie I saw him in: Click. Having said that it's amazing what money and fame can do to you. I've never been as big a fan of Hasselhoff (as some of you here are), but still the last couple of videos were pretty sad to see. dry.gif

Remember, kids, fame and money don't always go well together. So my advice to you is to keep the fame, and send me over the money. cool.gif
morgoth
QUOTE (acid911 @ Apr 17 2008, 11:03 PM)
Well, to his credit the guy was fairly decent in the last movie I saw him in: Click. Having said that it's amazing what money and fame can do to you. I've never been as big a fan of Hasselhoff (as some of you here are), but still the last couple of videos were pretty sad to see. dry.gif

Remember, kids, fame and money don't always go well together. So my advice to you is to keep the fame, and send me over the money. cool.gif

laugh.gif I'll try to remember you when I'll be on the high side acid freak.gif devilsmiley.gif
acid911
QUOTE (morgoth @ Apr 18 2008, 03:18 AM)
I'll try to remember you when I'll be on the high side acid

Yes, by all means, do remember. The things is most of us here are pretty young, and that we're still starting out with the practical life. You never know when some of us may find very good success in life. Fame, money, success, all quite possible? Lifestyle of the rich and famous, baby! devil.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.