Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maldini Not Even Good Enough For U.S.A - Gullit
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
arivanjj
Dutchman Gullit was part of Arrigo Sacchi’s legendary Milan team from the late 80s and early 90s, a squad that dominated European football, and is considered as one of the greatest of all time.

Gullit is now manager of David Beckham’s Major League Soccer-outfit LA Galaxy, and he has launched a scathing attack against the current Milan team, following their disappointing season.

"These days, Milan is an old team, it must change,” he told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“The elimination from the Champions League [against Arsenal] did not surprise me, the Rossoneri have not been playing well.”

Gullit also surprisingly hit out at Milan captain Paolo Maldini, a player who by all admissions has been the side’s best player over the past month, and impressed hugely against Arsenal.

"Paolo Maldini is now 40 years old and even too old for the United States, I would rather take home with me Rino Gattuso," he stated.

Finally the 45-year-old extended his attack to Italian football as a whole, specifically singling out Inter. "Inter also look to me to be slow and predictable, the whole of Italian football seems very slow,” he concluded.

goal.com
arivanjj
oh don't flatter yourself Ruud. what business would Maldini have playing in the US anyways.

stupid statement dry.gif
Tennie
Oy. puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif

Maldini has been very good over the past month or so for Milan - better than most expected he could be at his age.

And Gullit really shouldn't talk. His LA Galaxy team has been nothing but dire in its preseason games.

The sun in LA must have gotten to him.
Devillito
laugh.gif

Looking at the bright side now lads.
Somebody gotta play the bad guy here.
Its like good cops bad cops kinda thing
but I think that Gullit just want to send a hidden msg to Milan management.
And Maldini represent Milan as a whole.
Sumtimes, we need this kinda "attack" to realize sumthing.
Or maybe... he tried to cover his LA inadequateness dry.gif
dst
I'd like to think that he was high when he said this otherwise I'm going to get very very mad!-_-
Zed.D
The title is a little bit misleading... but he's certainly right in saying Milan and Italian football suck these days. we just don't want to face the truth wink.gif
m1ke
He's right in everything he says apart from the Maldini comment. Still, I hope the players use these kind of comments to their advantage in their final push for 4th.
Portman
I dunno what's the problem for saying the truth.

Maldini looks like a amateur nowadays when playing world-class attackers like against Inter, Roma, etc.

I'm totally with Gullit in this one.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 27 2008, 04:21 PM)
Maldini looks like a amateur nowadays when playing world-class attackers like against Inter, Roma, etc.

Well... against Arsenal he was simply world class [we cannot even argue on that wink.gif]. I agree he hasn't been as good in Serie A, but to say he plays like an amateur is in my opinion exaggerating.
Portman
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Mar 27 2008, 01:01 PM)
Well... against Arsenal he was simply world class [we cannot even argue on that  wink.gif]. I agree he hasn't been as good in Serie A, but to say he plays like an amateur is in my opinion exaggerating.

Against Arsenal we were lucky not to concede 3 or 4 in the Emirates.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 27 2008, 04:33 PM)
Against Arsenal we were lucky not to concede 3 or 4 in the Emirates.

We didn't concede because Maldini was almost flawless [Kala too]... it's not easy at all to be like this at 40... he deserved more credit, my friend.
whoarethepatriots
Maldini is our best player by far (effort wise at least) and our best performer. The attack is somewhat a surprise

Still He is right with other his other comments
Fillipo Simone
laugh.gif laugh.gif ..

I dunno what's the problem for saying the truth

Well, actually Maldini has been at least solid. But seems that you and Gullit forget his presence, his name, his radiation. It's not just about a defender who does his job or not. That why saying Maldini would be no use in US is idiotic. Makes me wonder...what does Gullit think about his defense? I'm sure he's pretty proud having Ante Jazic and Abel Xavier in his team. I mean,..

And he has the extra nerves to say he'd pick Gattuso for his squad? Ya, ya,..and maybe Kaka too! Hmh,...he seems to be frustrated with his work in the US. No other explanation.

One thing is to have constructive critics, the other is to be delirious and mix apples and pears. Cause comparing Serie A with MLS is just like that,..
Warchant
with all respect to maldini...it's not hard to be solid when you only play 40% of the season's games.

i love maldini just as much as the next guy, but he needed to retired after the cl...plain and simple.

i completely disagree with his statement about the u.s.a. he would be a valuable asset in teaching young defenders how a professional plays.

and the reason he would come to the u.s. is for the betterment of soccer over here. it amazes me that people outside the states don't understand how making soccer big over here would help the sport more than they could possibly imagine.
LaPalma
Maldinis isn't much worde than he was 3 years ago or so. He seems to be able to handle his knee problems so I don't see any reason why he shouldn't play on. I dunno why some of you guys can't see that but he certanly doesn't look like an amateur to me! We were happy not to concede in London? Yes...but this surely wasn't Paolos fault...plus he was able to handle Adebayor in the two match most of the time...and that guy is 16 years younger than Paolo.
Anyone who thinks he can give Paolo an advise should think again.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Mar 27 2008, 01:01 PM)
Well... against Arsenal he was simply world class [we cannot even argue on that  wink.gif]. I agree he hasn't been as good in Serie A, but to say he plays like an amateur is in my opinion exaggerating.

To be honest, it doesn't take a World class player to beat Maldini, just anybody with pace. He looked frightenened to death when Walcott came on in the 2nd leg. But to say he's not good enough for the MLS is a bit out of order.

I think people would be very surprised at how good the league actually is though. It's definitly on the up, while Serie A is in a downward spiral at the moment.
dst
I can't believe what I read in this thread. sleep.gif
Tennie
Neither can I, dst. sleep.gif

I have no wish to get into arguments with anyone, but I definitely disagree with the assessments some of you have of Maldini. But we are all welcome to our opinions and they're bound to differ at some point or another, so.....the fish doll offers everyone chocolates from Milan. they're yummy. 96.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 27 2008, 06:17 PM)

1899 % agreed.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 27 2008, 06:17 PM)

Ya' said it,..
maldini03
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 27 2008, 08:03 AM)
To be honest, it doesn't take a World class player to beat Maldini, just anybody with pace. He looked frightenened to death when Walcott came on in the 2nd leg. But to say he's not good enough for the MLS is a bit out of order.

I think people would be very surprised at how good the league actually is though. It's definitly on the up, while Serie A is in a downward spiral at the moment.

Say what you want but im from the U.S. for you to say that surprised me. The U.S. league will NEVER mark my words be what the Serie A is. They thought Beckham would help but it was a flop. I disagree with just about everything you said.

For Gullit to say that makes me furious but it also makes me laugh. If he thinks our team is bad challenge us we will see how good we are. I laugh because frankly our Primavera team could take him he is a fool and for him to say that makes him look like a complete idiot. laugh.gif
Tennie
The fish doll offers Maldini 03 a cookie. 96.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (maldini03 @ Mar 27 2008, 07:10 PM)
Say what you want but im from the U.S. for you to say that surprised me. The U.S. league will NEVER mark my words be what the Serie A is. They thought Beckham would help but it was a flop. I disagree with just about everything you said.

I never said the MLS will be better than Serie A, but the MLS is an ever-improving league while Serie A is probably not even one of the big 3 anymore.

The MLS has already done a huge amount for US football. 10/15 years ago I'd have laughed at the thought of the US even making a World Cup without being hosts, now it's a disappointment when they don't make the knockout stage, thanks to the MLS allowing US players to play proper competitive games in a competitive competition. As for Beckhams failure, didn't this season have the highest attendances in MLS history and have the single highest attendance in MLS history? unsure.gif
Tennie
Yes, there were butts in the seats, but economics aside, LA still didn't make the playoffs even with Beckham and Landycakes (an unflattering nickname for LA's Landon Donovan, who I despise). smile.gif

MLS is getting better and there are some pretty good American players popping up -- for example, the colony of American keepers playing for teams in the English league -- but there's an awfully long way to go.

I'm going to agree to disagree with Kurt on the assessment of Serie A. And the fish doll offers him an Irn Bru. smile.gif
armiss
As always Gullit surprised me , i respect him so much !
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 27 2008, 07:25 PM)
Yes, there were butts in the seats, but economics aside, LA still didn't make the playoffs even with Beckham and Landycakes (an unflattering nickname for LA's Landon Donovan, who I despise). smile.gif

I'm going to agree to disagree with Kurt on the assessment of Serie A. And the fish doll offers him an Irn Bru. smile.gif

Didn't he score for the US last night? Donovan is the man. cool.gif

Irn Bru is puke.gif!
Tennie
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 27 2008, 03:35 PM)
Didn't he score for the US last night? Donovan is the man.  cool.gif

Irn Bru is puke.gif!

Landycakes is still a [insert naughty word far worse than Porty's favourite word]. He's a primadonna and I don't like him no matter how many goals he scores. He also dives. Badly. The DC fans have a special chant just for him. I'd quote it but it'd all get censored. smile.gif

And the fish doll cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif You don't like Irn Bru?!?!?!
mishie
i can't believe there is even a thread about this!?!?!
shame on you all!!! ohmy.gif laugh.gif
Zed.D
I don't know anything about the MLS and haven't watched a single game from it to this date. but the US national team is really good and gets better every year imo. so its league shouldn't be any worse, I think...
Tennie
Fox Soccer will be showing a bunch of the MLS games. The opening weekend is this coming weekend, so if those of you who have interest know how to do streaming stuff (I don't), you might be able to pick up a game. Word of warning, though: Max Bretos does MLS commentary, though he sucks less for MLS games than he does for Serie A or Argentine league stuff.
acid911
I'd rather be dead than read such crap about Paolo. cry.gif
maldini03
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 27 2008, 11:13 AM)
The fish doll offers Maldini 03 a cookie.  96.gif

I Accept ( takes cookie and runs in corner) My Cookie My cookie
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 27 2008, 11:19 AM)
I never said the MLS will be better than Serie A, but the MLS is an ever-improving league while Serie A is probably not even one of the big 3 anymore.

The MLS has already done a huge amount for US football. 10/15 years ago I'd have laughed at the thought of the US even making a World Cup without being hosts, now it's a disappointment when they don't make the knockout stage, thanks to the MLS allowing US players to play proper competitive games in a competitive competition. As for Beckhams failure, didn't this season have the highest attendances in MLS history and have the single highest attendance in MLS history?  unsure.gif

I also agree with Tennie i wasnt taking about the economics i was talking about the L.A. Galaxy as a team they failed to impress. unsure.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (maldini03 @ Mar 27 2008, 11:42 PM)
I also agree with Tennie i wasnt taking about the economics i was talking about the L.A. Galaxy as a team they failed to impress. unsure.gif

Ah, I wasn't sure. But one player doesn't make a team I suppose. When you're playing alongside Abel Zavier, it makes it even harder. laugh.gif
maldini03
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 27 2008, 03:52 PM)
Ah, I wasn't sure. But one player doesn't make a team I suppose. When you're playing alongside Abel Zavier, it makes it even harder. laugh.gif

Haha great point biggrin.gif
Tennie
(I actually thought Xavier was one of the better LA defnders. Maybe it's me, but maybe it's the state of the LA defense. Anyone else who's seen LA play?)
acid911
I was taking a look at some of the comments on this news story, here are some of the best ones. Sorry for the lengthy post. sad.gif You can check more out at the source. Having said that, I'd rather not read them if I were Gullit. laugh.gif

John (England)
shut up Gullit maldini is the greatest ever defender of all time and was way better than you.

Brian (Holland)
And this is the reason why this guy isn't love in Italy. I mean think about it, that team back then, the dutch players; Rijkaard and van Basten are really adored by the rosseneri. But this guy..Because of bullshit remarks like this.

Pake (Tampere, Finland)
Just bitter words from an old guys who wishes he would have been half as good as Maldini is now. I mean, Maldini is still better nowadays than Gullit ever was. And even Gullit's coaching merits are hmmm... good? Not even that. Totally useless guy (has always been and always will be)

Tony (Australia)
I believe that Maldini has too much class to play in the MLS anyways! Name one MLS defender who is better than Maldini at this time??? NONE! He has held his ground for a 39 year old!

WTF? (Europe)
What a disgrace!!!!!!!! Maldini is probablly one of the most respected footballers of all time, a true professional who gullit doesnt deserve to even be mentioned in the same sentence as. Everywhere gullit has gone he has moaned about everyone. As for the mls please just dont make the rest of the world laugh, you dont even have teams that could compete in english league 1 or italian serie d. Gullit hmmm you did a good job managing chelsea and newcastle didnt you??LOL

Simon Yeo (Malaysia)
Amazing remark...totally uncalled for. I like Gullit and his contribution to Milan during the Sacchi days but that's just sour comments. Maldini has been one of the better central defenders in Europe this season when he plays. Yes, he cannot play every game anymore...but Maldini's status as an all time legend is undisputed.

Brenda (Geordieland)
Ruud Gullit is a moron, plain and simple. He attacked alan shearer even though he was th eonly one scoring for newcastl when he was manager, he now lays into one of the best defenders of all time. Maybe gullit is jealous that maldini is still playing and they are about the same age? GET A GRIP GULLIT !!!

Amir (Tehran, Iran)
The truth is that you're not even good to coach LA Galaxy. You are nothing compared to Maldini and it is beneath his dignity to play or coach in USA. While you weren't good in Europe and have been deported to USA. Believe me "Ruud the Rude" such comments will never pave the way for your comeback to Europe.

Rama (Indonesia)
What.... this guy is a moron.... okay, maybe Milan is a bit too old and that Italian football is a bit too slow (but that's their style all along) but he is completely wrong about Maldini. Maldini will turn 40 in about three months and he is still one of the best defenders in the world today. While he is indeed far from his peak, he is still renowned tough and consistent defender. It's even more amazing if you look at his age, because he plays better than younger colleagues Cannavaro (35 this year) and Barzagli (27 this year). Gullit? This guy couldn't even bring up a solid game of high-standards at the age of 34, and went on to retire at age nearing 36.

John (Ireland)
Maldini is still a top defender and probably would start for Italy if he didn't retire

Brian (Liverpool)
Italian football needs to improve?? world cup winners, champions league holders, world club cup holders, golden boot holder is italian and the fifa best player in the world plays in serie a, seriously what more can we f***ing do!!

Avishek (Nepal)
wow, i did not know ruud gullit was such a self centered person. i agree he was a great great player, but he is not even close to the standard of paolo maldini. really.... he should not be saying this about a player greater than him.

Milanista (Canada)
haha thats why your coaching in the MLS not europe for starters, number 2 maldini is the best defender of all time no one can argue against that and buddy italian soccer is slow WHO IS WORLD CHAMPIONS thank you forza milan maldini and azzurri

Raj (USA)
And this verbal diohorea comes from a guy who coaches beckham!!! I live in california, few miles from where the Galaxy play, and its they who need to employ younger players and its MLS in general that needs to improve hugely. Do u know nobody gives a crap about Gullllit and beckham here anyway. in LA its all about Kobe bryant and the los angeles lakers. Ruud is just jealous that he couldnt cut it in europe and probably wishes so much he was coaching at milan instead of being in the footballing wilderness that is the usa. This was the only way he could bring some attention to himself.

An (Milano)
maldini can be 70 and he still be the best defender in the world.he can play with no legs in mls and still no one can cross him.so stupid coment 

Rio (Brasil)
this guy has NOOOOOOOOOOO right to say that about maldini...must i remind you that maldini along wit nesta were the rock at milans defense....i mean..this ruud character has no respect wat so ever...wat a way to make everyone hate you

Maurizio (Princeton, New Jersey)
NOW I KNOW WHY DRUGS ARE LEGAL IN AMSTERDAM

Dave (Canada)
wow amazing coming from a guy who when milan were facing liverpool last year in final said there was no way liverpool would win right to the face of all english broadcasters and former liverpool players. Funny how this guy who owes milan big time for he played on one of the best sides ever and now he slams them LOOOOL rud i think ur fell on ur head when u were a baby. And Paolo Maldini at 100YEARS OLD IS BETTER THAN ANY DEFENDER IN MLS U FOOL

Mav (Lincoln, UK)
A man sitting and managing a team from Mars would know who Paolo Maldini is today and the current state of footballing affairs in Europe ... rather Earth ! Ridiculous

Nesta 13 (Milan Italy)
jelous !!! coz of PAOLO MALDINI

Sezo (Budapest, Hungary)
Enough good for Milan and Champions' League, but not enough good for USA. Hahahaha! It is a really unsimpathic opinion from a former team-mate. I think the problem is not having a good job in Europe! Have much more luck in the future Ruud (and please don't tell silly things like this)

I still think he was misquoted, and wouldn't be surprised he comes up with a press conference tomorrow denying all this. But if they were true, I've lost whatever little respect I had for the man. Ah, if only this was on Tribal Football. biggrin.gif

After all is said and done, if Paolo retires this season because of Gullit's crap remarks, I'm personally going to the states with an axe, and taking Gullit's head off. Ha, Maldini not good even good enough for USA. sad.gif 3% of Maldini is still better than Kaladze, any day of the week, and still the Georgian wears the red and black.
Tennie
Well, here it is in Italian from the Italian version of goal.com:

"Maldini ai Galaxy? Quarant'anni sono tanti. Anche qui in America."

[Maldini to the Galaxy? 40 years is a lot, even here in America.]
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 28 2008, 05:28 AM)
Well, here it is in Italian from the Italian version of goal.com:

"Maldini ai Galaxy? Quarant'anni sono tanti. Anche qui in America."

[Maldini to the Galaxy? 40 years is a lot, even here in America.]

That figures. dry.gif Thanks, ten.
Jack Sparrow
Hmm...of the trio, I always like Ruud the least. He had a bit of a God-complex.

But I think he was commenting on the fact that they could not have Paolo play in the MLS. Since it's not a viable even short term solution. I doubt he was implying that Maldini was a poor player now.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Mar 27 2008, 07:08 AM)
We didn't concede because Maldini was almost flawless [Kala too]... it's not easy at all to be like this at 40... he deserved more credit, my friend.

LOL! NO! Guy we didn't concede 4 goals because adebayor can't finish for s***. If they had someone like eto'o or drogba, you would have been very angry and milan would have had the most humiliting defeat in our history.
Bluesummers
I'd like to also add that imo maldini is still a very good defender, however because of his age he is no longer considered in teh top 10. Gullit has no idea of what he is saying and i cannot believe he would say that about his own teammate. Guess its like ronaldo with madrid.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 28 2008, 06:33 AM)
LOL!  NO!  Guy we didn't concede 4 goals because adebayor can't finish for s***.  If they had someone like eto'o or drogba, you would have been very angry and milan would have had the most humiliting defeat in our history.

A.k.a. Deprotivo,..hmh?

Anyway, if Adebayor was Eto'o then Kalac would be Buffon to save the goal. You know what I mean with that IF,..
KillerMax
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 28 2008, 02:55 AM)
A.k.a. Deprotivo,..hmh?

Anyway, if Adebayor was Eto'o then Kalac would be Buffon to save the goal. You know what I mean with that IF,..

laugh.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 28 2008, 02:55 AM)
A.k.a. Deprotivo,..hmh?

laugh.gif well you know what i'm getting at right.
dst
Most of these people have not even seen Maldini at his best and look at the respect he gets! Best player of all time and you can kiss my ***!!! king.gif
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Mar 27 2008, 11:42 AM)
The title is a little bit misleading... but he's certainly right in saying Milan and Italian football suck these days. we just don't want to face the truth wink.gif

Exactly cool.gif

As for Paolo, I don't think he is actually implying that Paolo is crap etc more like at 39 he can't play as well as he used to - and he has a point. Paolo, like carlo, should have left on a high after we won the CL, it would have been great to see him go out at the top. Now though, if he does play on for another season and we don't win anything then he will leave with a whimper - not how I would like to see Paolo retire.

As for Gullit, in all interviews I have seen him in as soon as Milan are mentioned he always has nothing but praise so I wouldn't have thought he said this out of spite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.