Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milan focus on 2009 Scudetto
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
KillerMax
Adriano Galliani reassures fans that in 2008-09 Milan will make the Scudetto their number one priority – alongside the Champions League.

For the past few years the Rossoneri have made no secret of their focus on Europe and Cup competition, whether it be the Champions League or the Club World Cup won in December.

However, their second round exit to Arsenal and the struggle to even finish in the top four in Serie A has forced a change of tack.

“We are well aware that the fans are asking us for this, so the Scudetto will have a very high place in our priorities next season. It will be top, or at least joint top in cohabitation with the Champions League.”

Milan have not won the Serie A title since 2003-04 and this season are 18 points adrift of leaders Inter.

Their only remaining objective for this term is to earn a top four finish, though they face a battle to the last with Juventus and Fiorentina.

“We will take every possible course of action and squeeze every last drop of effort into a very simple task – finishing ahead of Fiorentina. Now we are concentrated on this, then we’ll focus on our transfer campaign to remain the most successful club in the world. We’ll see whether that means a reduced squad or one with younger players.”

Their choices and budget depend on qualification for Europe, so beating Roma tomorrow is going to be potentially decisive in the race to re-enter the Champions League.

Galliani hopes the Giallorossi can fly the flag for Italy on the continent now that they are the only Serie A side left.

“I hope they manage what we had against Liverpool. We were beaten in Istanbul, then we found them in Athens and got our own back,” said the general manager.

“Roma had a negative incident with Manchester United last year and I hope they can repeat what we achieved with Liverpool.

“After a few turbulent years with Roma, our rapport with the club is excellent. We made peace with Franco Sensi and his daughter Rosella.

“In fact, I’d say we share many views and there is an unofficial agreement not to invade each others’ transfer territory.”

Football Italia
KillerMax
This is it. smile.gif This is what I have been waiting to hear. Now, if we do qualify for CL next year, expect Don Silvio to spend big. I am 100% sure of that now. Finally we are going to get our priorities straight and go for both competitions. king.gif
I_Rossoneri
Call me cynical but I'll believe it when I see it.

And to say the Scudetto will be the number one priority is an insult to the loyal fans who turn out week in week out hoping to see us do well in league.
Darunia
I have hope reading this, but it BETTER be the truth. Need 5 top-class players at least this summer.
KillerMax
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 14 2008, 02:42 PM)

And to say the Scudetto will be the number one priority is an insult to the loyal fans who turn out week in week out hoping to see us do well in league.

Cynic.
KillerMax
QUOTE (Darunia @ Mar 14 2008, 02:43 PM)
I have hope reading this, but it BETTER be the truth.  Need 5 top-class players  at least this summer.

No, 5-6 transfers, with 3 of them being top class players is enough. This is not FM. You just don't buy five to class players at once in one transfer window. It will hurt them team more than it would help.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Mar 14 2008, 08:43 PM)
Cynic.

biggrin.gif
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Mar 14 2008, 08:46 PM)
No, 5-6 transfers, with 3 of them being top class players is enough. This is not FM. You just don't buy five to class players at once in one transfer window. It will hurt them team more than it would help.

I agree, 3 possible first teamers and 3 young bench players for now!
Bluesummers
excellent yes! Finally the bald man is gonna use some cash!!!!!!! I'm excited i can't wait for the transfer season. And i hope we sign young players more than old. I wouldn't mind getting another 18 year old to help mature but in mid not attack. WE have PALOSCHI BABY!
KillerMax
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 14 2008, 03:04 PM)
I agree, 3 possible first teamers and 3 young bench players for now!

Yep. We especially need a good, healthy and young full back who can actually cross the ball.
Brian Birkin
Aiming for the scudetto next season is a good move I'd say, even though the CL is a great throphy, a team like Milan has the need to win the league title as well. But in order to do this, I believe we will need players to make the squad more powerful. But I'm not going to take this as written in stone until I see what happens during the summer transfer window.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 14 2008, 08:42 PM)

Couldn't agree more.
acid911
Seeing is believing, you silly rabbit. I'll believe it when I see it next season. For now, I'm just happy he's admitted his mistakes, and promised to focus on the league. But if there's one thing I've learned in life, it's never to trust Galliani. In fact, the reality is, more often than not, the exact opposite of what this guy states. mad.gif laugh.gif
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 14 2008, 04:09 PM)
excellent yes!  Finally the bald man is gonna use some cash!!!!!!!    I'm excited i can't wait for the transfer season.  And i hope we sign young players more than old.  I wouldn't mind getting another 18 year old to help mature but in mid not attack.  WE have PALOSCHI BABY!

silvio probably put a gun to his head, or paid sumone to do it.

or better yet threatened to have him banned from every restaurant and fast food joint in milano.

biggrin.gif
bigmacmtl
it's easy to talk and get everyone excited like they've done about ronaldinho over the past season and talk of big transfers (actually promising) to raise ticket sales. we'll know how serious they truly are by end of august, lets all hope it's not BS again.
nuh
they said that last year too after we won the cl
dst
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 14 2008, 10:42 PM)

True, true.

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Mar 14 2008, 10:46 PM)

Troo, troo!
Portman
So let's start and buy some 30 yo freebies.
KillerMax
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Mar 15 2008, 12:17 AM)
it's easy to talk and get everyone excited like they've done about ronaldinho over the past season and talk of big transfers (actually promising) to raise ticket sales. we'll know how serious they truly are by end of august, lets all hope it's not BS again.

You are right. sleep.gif But, ultimately, they would be hurting themselves more than anyone else. So if they wanna repeat the same mistakes, they can be my guest.
MizNelson
Galliani's declaration that we will focus on the league next year is nothing more than an attempt to save face due to our embarrassment of our early CL exit. Were we still in the hunt for the big ears, guaranteed we wouldn't be hearing a peep about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.