Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maldini reconsiders retirement
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
Zed.D
Maldini reconsiders retirement

Thursday 6 March, 2008

Milan legend Paolo Maldini has sensationally admitted he may reconsider his retirement at the end of this season.

He turns 40 in the summer and had said repeatedly he would hang up his boots in 2008, but a resurgence of form and lack of injury worries might make him change his mind.

“I have a lot of energy left. One must be consistent, but at the same time only an idiot doesn’t change his mind,” smiled Maldini.

“In these last few months my knees are no longer hurting very much. The club and fans are pushing me to play for another year.

“I have to admit, three months ago I was in a much worse condition and had to stay out for five months following surgery. Now I feel better and am even playing in a role I hadn’t tried for quite a while.”

Due to injury problems throughout the side, Maldini has returned to the left-back position and performed admirably against the youngsters of Arsenal.

“That was a painful defeat, but it is easier to accept when you have achieved so much,” he said of the 2-0 Champions League exit.

“I think the fans understood that too. Arsenal deserved to win. They play beautiful, fast, total football.

“That competition has given me so much. The first trophy was the most exciting, then the first I lifted as a captain, as it came nine years afterwards.”

With this second round elimination, many have urged the Rossoneri to completely revolutionise the squad.

“I don’t think that’s necessary. We need the right men, going for quality not quantity. Our past is not so remote, as in the past 12 months we have won the Champions League, European Super Cup and Club World Cup.

“If we look at what we have achieved over the past 20 years compared to Arsenal, there is a huge difference.”

Maldini has been at the forefront of that winning era and spent his entire career with this club.

“I never considered leaving. I was born here in a football sense and never really thought about a change of scenery.

“In the past there was contact with Chelsea. I was coming off a disappointing season and asked myself some questions, but at the end I decided to stay.”

Could the man with the most Italy caps in history come out of international retirement for Euro 2008?

“No thanks.”
dst
I don't think he will go on for another season... the again, it's his decision to make and no one has the right to tell him what to do.
whoarethepatriots
If he can stay injury free (possible, due to the fountain of youth aka the MilanLab at the milanello) then its possible that he could stay on for a year
kurtsimonw
I don't see him playing another season.
bigmacmtl
if he did end up playing another season to fix this disgraceful one that has been provided by management then i'd be happy but in the end it would just delay the inevitable.
LaPalma
It's his decision alone. I will support anyway.
Bluesummers
Either way i'm happy. He is much more useful than some of the other trash on our squad. keeping maldini is fine with me.
acid911
Best bit of news I've hard all year. smile.gif He's in great form, and if he can continue injury free, playing selectively I'm all for it. At the very least we can give some of our defenders a rest (Nesta in particular), and play some new ones along with Paolo, for them to gain experience. Heck, if Cafu can stay, he sure as hell can. This news is too good to be true, but I'll only believe it when it's end of August 2008, and he's named in the squad. cool.gif

Yeah, and the last part, only idiots come back from retirement. Either don't retire, or don't come back if you do.
august_milan
i cant say that i would be upset if maldini stayed another year...imo i thaught he should have retired after wining the champions leuage but i can see why he didnt, he wanted to win back to back trophys....now you have to look at the positives that my come from this....if he stays for one more season, milan would not be forced to fill his position, giving them more time to find a suitable replacement and can use that money to buy more reinforcing players in positions that need it more...eg st, mid, gk. hopefully if he stays one more year it will give him more time to talk some sence in our management. either way i wish maldini the best of luck and good health in the future...FORZA MILAN
Tennie
As far as I'm concerned, Maldini has more than earned the right to do whatever he wants as far as playing (or not) next year.

To be horribly selfish about it, it'd be wonderful to see him playing one more year. I'm probably one of the older members of the board: I remember seeing him play as the young phenom on the Milan Dream Team -- it's really hard for me to even imagine a Milan without him.

So...Forza Milan. Forza Maldini -- do whatever you think best. devilsmiley.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 7 2008, 07:53 AM)
I remember seeing him play as the young phenom on the Milan Dream Team -- it's really hard for me to even imagine a Milan without him.

Agreed. He's our relic, the most prized asset of this team. I can never forget how he gave his 100% in both the matches against Arsenal, while more half of our "star" players were half asleep. And even after the goal with 6-8 minutes remaining in the match, he was cheering them to try and score two goals. Could see it in his eyes. cry.gif

Too bad the other players didn't quite show half the spirit. sad.gif The longer he can be with us the better. He'll know when the time comes, and the body or match performance shows it. Until that time, and if he stays on, let us enjoy the Age of Maldini for another year.
Jack Sparrow
Please tell me this is true. We've never needed him as much as we do now. If he's there, we could ask the devil himself to play for our team due to this man's sheer stature. Bring on Cassano... biggrin.gif
Ry4n
Thank you Paolo , Forza Milan , Forza Maldini IL CAPITANO !!!!!!!!!!!!
m1ke
He was probably our best player over two legs against Arsenal. If his knees are fine, why not?
aLbErTo
If he could, why not...it's good to have him around our players, it's not like he's going to play 30-40 matches next season...
Zed.D
So... almost everyone would like to see him play for another season. cool.gif
Jack Sparrow
I think almost everyone would like to see him play forever... biggrin.gif

Imagine a Milan backline...

Maldini Jr---Darmian---Maldini Sr---Maldini Jr...

laugh.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 7 2008, 07:22 PM)
I think almost everyone would like to see him play forever... biggrin.gif

Imagine a Milan backline...

Maldini Jr---Darmian---Maldini Sr---Maldini Jr...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

i'm not gonna get my hopes up... he's still not sure.
nuh
i would LOVE having him for next year he is wht 39 and he plays like 20 year old i love this guy and i wish if he could play forever
Warchant
i know i'm probably not going to have the most popular opinion on this forum...but i honestly think he should retire.

all year long we've complained about the age of our team...and there have been times this season where i've seen maldini's age clearly shown by forwards who just blow past him. true, he still shows signs that blow my mind, but he's hardly played this season and he is nowhere near his glory days.

i feel like our team is coming to a pivotal point in its history where one era is ending and a new one needs to begin. i believe that maldini may show some of our other older players that maybe it is time for them to hang up their boots as well.

milan needs to move forward and prepare for the future. don't get my wrong, i love maldini and i would love to see him play forever, but at the same time our team needs a revamp from the ground up and i think maldini could be the one to start it.
KillerMax
I agree with Warchant. But If players such as Serginho, Cafu, Favalli and Firori leave, I don't see anything wrong with Maldini staying for another season. We could still take advantage of his leadership qualities and he has always been a very influential player when it came to helping new players settle in the club. Maldini's experience outweighs his physical weaknesses that have come with age. You can't say the same about our other old players though.
redbabies
I think that if he decides to play for another season would be just for the morale of the team and maybe help the new defenders (which we'll probalby sign) settle in.
Portman
I still think Maldini should retire. Along with Serginho, Cafu, Favalli, Ba and Fiori.

Milan must start a new era.
mishie
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 7 2008, 07:45 PM)
I still think Maldini should retire. Along with Serginho, Cafu, Favalli, Ba and Fiori.

agreed wink.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 8 2008, 12:45 AM)

Agreed, but a new era can still be started as a gradual process. Get rid of Favali, Ba and Fiori this year, and next year Cafu and Paolo can retire. In the meantime, sign new guys, and get them to gel in with the team. I'm fairly certain this is how it will go, judging by a certain guy that goes by the name of Galliani runs thing. smile.gif

And this is just speculation, I'll only be contend with it if Paolo's in the squad for the next season. Much can happen in the three months in between.
weeeow
God can do whatever he wants... cool.gif
dst
QUOTE (weeeow @ Mar 7 2008, 10:54 PM)
God can do whatever he wants...  cool.gif

London sees the light!
I_Rossoneri
If we get CL next season then possibly yes to the extension, otherwise retire now Paolo and don't look desperate next season sad.gif
dst
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 7 2008, 11:51 PM)
If we get CL next season then possibly yes to the extension, otherwise retire now Paolo and don't look desperate next season sad.gif

Can we get the CL in advance? unsure.gif Or are you referring to God's future reading powers?
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 7 2008, 09:54 PM)
Can we get the CL in advance? unsure.gif  Or are you referring to God's future reading powers?

I mean if we get fourth spot then yes carry on, otherwise retire.
dst
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 7 2008, 11:56 PM)
I mean if we get fourth spot then yes carry on, otherwise retire.

Oh! biggrin.gif I thought you were talking of the CL title...
acid911
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 8 2008, 02:54 AM)
Can we get the CL in advance? Or are you referring to God's future reading powers?

Lol, no, he means getting to fourth place to qualify playing in Champions League, not win it. tongue.gif Though if Ronaldo's future is anything like Inzaghi, he may yet play a part in a European triumph ala Athens 2007.

The drugs are seriously not working, dst. Find a way to get in touch with Rossoneri7, will ya?
misha
If Paolo feels he has it in him to play another season, who am I to say No.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (mishale @ Mar 8 2008, 04:15 PM)
If Paolo feels he has it in him to play another season, who am I to say No.

Exactly. Noone should dare say anything about his decision.

But - two years ago I said that when Milan finally goes to reconstructions I want Maldini and Billy be there, to make an example to the new ones and give them confidence. I expected that reconstruction would happen in 06/07, but it did not. Billy's retired by now.

Maldini working (playing, training,etc.) for one season with for ex. Barzagli - priceless
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.