AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
arivanjj
Milan vs Genoa

Serie A 2007/08 - Week 20

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Stadio Meazza

Time : 14:00 (UK); 15:00 (IT)

Alexandre Pato gets another chance to shine at San Siro, but it could be another striker owned by Milan – Marco Borriello – who hits the headlines.

So much hype surrounded the Ka-Pa-Ro trio of Brazilians and that only intensified after Ronaldo and Pato scored in the 5-2 thrashing of Napoli on the debut of the system. Yet they failed to spark at the weekend with their 1-0 victory at Udinese coming deep into stoppages thanks to substitute Alberto Gilardino, who up until then had been put on the shelf and considered a transfer.

Now Carlo Ancelotti has some difficult choices to make with only Pippo Inzaghi ruled out by injury and Clarence Seedorf vocal in his demands to play as a Trequartista. The statistics count against Gila, as all six of his goals were scored away from home, but he could get his chance in Wednesday’s postponed match at Atalanta. The tie was called off only a few minutes in as Orobici fans broke down a Plexiglas barrier in protest at the death of Lazio fan Gabriele Sandri, accidentally shot by a policeman on November 11.

Yet one should not forget this is the first time this season that the Rossoneri have won two Serie A games on the trot, the Napoli match being their only home victory. The big difference from Udine is the return from suspension of midfield metronome Andrea Pirlo, which is bound to drastically change the balance of the side. Paolo Maldini is on the road to recovery from a bout of flu, but Marek Jankulovski, Serginho and Nelson Dida are unlikely to recover, so Zeljko Kalac looks set to retain the gloves after a fine performance at the Stadio Friuli.

Genoa have reason to be confident as well, though, as they have won three consecutive games and have Milan-owned Borriello on stunning form. The striker this week admitted he would like a recall to San Siro, but that the Rossoblu provided him with more stability and opportunity to play. This has been easily his best season, as in 16 games he has scored as many goals as the previous five Serie A campaigns put together.

However, unlike Gilardino, he gets travel sickness with just three of those 11 goals scored outside Marassi. He’ll need to change that run if Genoa are to break their drought in the Giuseppe Meazza, where they haven’t scored in the top flight in their last three visits, nor earned a point since that 1-1 draw in November 1991. Although the last away victory was a stunning 5-1 result, it was way back in May 1958.

Domenico Criscito is suspended and Julio Cesar Leon sits out a ban, so Santos is expected to slot into the three-man defence. Although Lucho Figueroa snatched the last-minute winner against Atalanta last week, he is still not considered match fit, so midfielder Marco Rossi could be pushed up into the trident attack with Giuseppe Sculli and Borriello, the system switching to a 5-4-1 when losing possession. January signing Anthony Vanden Borre from Fiorentina is in training and could make his debut for the club, but the former Anderlecht wide man has so far played just 42 minutes of Serie A football.

Keep an eye on: Alexandre Pato (Milan) – The Duck made a sensational debut in this stadium and the pressure will be on again as the Brazilian trident begins to hone its rapport.

Last season: Not played

Form guide: Milan (W D L W W) Genoa (L D W W W)

Milan (probable): Kalac; Bonera, Nesta, Kaladze, Favalli; Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf; Kaka, Pato, Ronaldo

Genoa (probable): Rubinho; Bovo, De Rosa, Santos; Konko, Paro, Juric, Fabiano; Rossi, Borriello, Sculli

Channel4
arivanjj
we won 0 - 3 away... we can certainly win at HOME!
kurtsimonw
1-1. Borriello to score for them.

I think it's stupid letting players you own play against you, it can only come back to haunt you.
dst
If Gasperini chooses to play with the 3-4-3 again (apart from being stupid) will see his team crashed.

Borriello is nothing special... I just hope Kaladze does not play! Where are you Paolo?? sad.gif
Darunia
We should try Bonera at CB and Oddo at RB... but it's not going to happen. Hopefully Janku will be back for this game.

I'd like to see

Dida
Oddo-Nesta-Bonera-Janku
Gattuso-Pirlo-Seedorf
Kaka
Pato-Ronaldo

but we'll most likely see channel4's probable formation.
Zed.D
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 24 2008, 04:29 AM)
1-1. Borriello to score for them.

I think it's stupid letting players you own play against you, it can only come back to haunt you.

He was CR@P at Milan and yet we loaned him out as if we need his service someday rolleyes.gif

Sell the fvck him goddammit!
Zed.D
I can't see us losing this one.

2-0 or 3-1. [depends on whether Kaladze plays or not!]
Ry4n
i dont know what to say but we need this win simple as
Ry4n
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jan 24 2008, 08:50 AM)
I can't see us losing this one.
2-0 or 3-1. [depends on whether Kaladze plays or not!]

ahaha true if Kaladze plays his form right now will harm us more then help us , he might score a own gowl realmad.gif
Rossoneri7
Milan will win this one. No problem smile.gif
KillerMax
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 23 2008, 07:07 PM)
Borriello is nothing special...

Oh, he is very very special. I don't know if you saw him when he was 20-21. But he was a great talent. But he is just as dumb as Kaladze. He is in the exact same mold as him. He is always playing for himself. When he gets the ball and he has 5 players in front of him, he tries some weird trick that he just made up thinking he is the most skillful player in the world. And of course he loses out. That led him to scoring some spectacular goals however, but his ratio is like 1 in 20.... rolleyes.gif
dst
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Jan 24 2008, 11:14 AM)
Oh, he is very very special. I don't know if you saw him when he was 20-21. But he was a great talent. But he is just as dumb as Kaladze. He is in the exact same mold as him. He is always playing for himself. When he gets the ball and he has 5 players in front of him, he tries some weird trick that he just made up thinking he is the most skillful player in the world. And of course he loses out. That led him to scoring some spectacular goals however, but his ratio is like 1 in 20.... rolleyes.gif

Yes he started well, I had high hopes for him and even last season I though he might be a very good player coming off the bench but he is terribly inconsistent. Sometimes he'll do something great and next time he might not even make a good pass.
han2503
I'm pretty certain that if we don't win this one we are out of the running for 4th. And our objective will be the UEFA cup.

Last night's performance was a disgrace, from the moment the 2nd hald started. And imo, what we need is a new coach, this same Milan used to turn something like yesterday's equiliser before half time from something bad, to something that will give them further motivation to win the match. What we lack is that someone who can give the team that belief and Carlo is not doing that anymore.

After this season either we make the neccesary changes, from coach to players who are not needed anymore, or we will become a UEFA cup team.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 24 2008, 05:44 PM)
After this season either we make the neccesary changes, from coach to players who are not needed anymore, or we will become a UEFA cup team.

Will u stop saying that !!!
weeeow
must win match.

if we don't win this one, I will actually cry. sad.gif

2 - 1 will be the score.

I have a feeling Borriello will score a fluky goal. rolleyes.gif

but lets be optimistic shall we? cool.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 24 2008, 06:14 PM)
I'm pretty certain that if we don't win this one we are out of the running for 4th. And our objective will be the UEFA cup.

Isn't it a little too early to say that? I mean we're just halfway through in the league and [should we win our two games in hand] a few points behind the CL qualification zone...

I know our situation has become dramatic... but it's not THAT dramatic. wink.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 24 2008, 04:26 PM)
Will u stop saying that !!!

If we can't win these games then that is what we will be! The fact that we're struggling against Atalanta should be enough to see what direction we're heading in. The game against Napoli was just another 1 off, like the games against Lazio and Samp. If we don't make any changes then we will struggle next season also

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jan 24 2008, 04:40 PM)
Isn't it a little too early to say that? I mean we're just halfway through in the league and [should we win our two games in hand] a few points behind the CL qualification zone...

I know our situation has become dramatic... but it's not THAT dramatic.  wink.gif

You are forgetting that last season we were competing for 4th with Catania rolleyes.gif and Palermo, this year it's Fiorentina, we're 10 points behind them and yes we have the 2 games in hand but if we do lose this one it will seriouslt damage any hope.

Either we get our heads on straight and play well or we won't have CL football next season
redbabies
We'll beat them.

I'm sure after the Napoli match we'll win most of the matches in San Siro. It just can't be different.
Tennie
The Italian press (today at least) seems pretty sure that Carletto will go back to the Christmas tree formation v. Genoa. Was the second half of the Atalanta game really THAT disastrous?
KillerMax
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronaldo alone upfront? Who is he gonna link up with? Don't say Kaka because then Kaka will have to get stuck trying to force his way through the middle. He is much more dangerous cutting inside from the flanks.
weeeow
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 24 2008, 09:02 PM)
Was the second half of the Atalanta game really THAT disastrous?

Yes. rolleyes.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 25 2008, 07:02 AM)
The Italian press (today at least) seems pretty sure that Carletto will go back to the Christmas tree formation v. Genoa. Was the second half of the Atalanta game really THAT disastrous?

watever he uses. Roni must start the match, and he must start as many matches possible till the end of the season. mad.gif
Darunia
looks like Carlo has lost faith in Pato already sleep.gif
KillerMax
QUOTE (Darunia @ Jan 24 2008, 02:58 PM)

It's very much like him.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 24 2008, 09:11 PM)
If we can't win these games then that is what we will be! The fact that we're struggling against Atalanta should be enough to see what direction we're heading in. The game against Napoli was just another 1 off, like the games against Lazio and Samp. If we don't make any changes then we will struggle next season also
You are forgetting that last season we were competing for 4th with Catania  rolleyes.gif  and Palermo, this year it's Fiorentina, we're 10 points behind them and yes we have the 2 games in hand but if we do lose this one it will seriouslt damage any hope.

Either we get our heads on straight and play well or we won't have CL football next season

Actually last season we were competing with Fiorentina, Lazio and Palermo (who lost their momentum towards the end) ... And we edged them towards the last 6 or 5 games in the season where we rested in 3rd place. So it was a tough fix last season too.

About losing to Atalanta, yeah I know what u mean, it should have be an easy 3 points in the bag. And I am shocked, that we didn't get this much needed win. STILL, as zd said, there still is time. Look at the table and do the math, it is very possible !!

There is about 17 games left (two of which will be to gain ground, if Milan win those two games, they will be in 6th place). And just 5 or 6 points from the 4th spot.

We'll leave UEFA to Fiorentina and co. cool.gif
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 25 2008, 01:51 AM)
There is about 17 games left (two of which will be to gain ground, if Milan win those two games, they will be in 6th place). And just 5 or 6 points from the 4th spot.

21 games left.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 25 2008, 03:10 AM)
21 games left.

Oh yeah, just checked the schedual .. Thanx ...

So u see han. there is a lot of time. Even for 3rd place cool.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Darunia @ Jan 24 2008, 02:58 PM)

No its not faith its just we need to play serious and win. Pato will still get more playing time than gilardino forsure though. But as we now can see no one can replace seedorf as he did play a very important role in the trident.
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 24 2008, 11:51 PM)
Actually last season we were competing with Fiorentina, Lazio and Palermo (who lost their momentum towards the end) ... And we edged them towards the last 6 or 5 games in the season where we rested in 3rd place. So it was a tough fix last season too.

About losing to Atalanta, yeah I know what u mean, it should have be an easy 3 points in the bag. And I am shocked, that we didn't get this much needed win. STILL, as zd said, there still is time. Look at the table and do the math, it is very possible !!

We'll leave UEFA to Fiorentina and co.  cool.gif

Fiorentina were never in the running for 4th, yes they got close but they were never really in it last season. And we got 4th last season because as you said Palermo ran out of steam.

Anyway let's hope you're right and your faith is reworded. Me on the other hand am not going to jump to conclusions, because if we don't get max points from the next 5 games plus the games in hand then we won't reach 4th.

As for the formation, Ronaldo should never start alone upfront, I don't think it would suite him. Play the 4-3-1-2 formation with Gila and R9.

As for Pato, he's been pushed in and expected to do too much. As everyone predicted, he might be an amazing talent but he won't save our season, it's too much pressure on him. Ever since his debut he's played 3 back to back games, imo that's too much for a kid his age.
Ry4n
our formation isnt going to work with out really good Wingbacks we all know Bonera is a CB and Favalli doesnt have the pace we need Serginho or Jank back , most of our goals in Serie A come from crosses , heres a little example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CubYwZL7MC4&feature=related
Ry4n
our formation isnt going to work with out really good Wingbacks we all know Bonera is a CB and Favalli doesnt have the pace we need Serginho or Jank back , most of our goals in Serie A come from crosses , heres a little example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CubYwZL7MC4&feature=related
Tennie
Rocchi will referee this game.

And today in the Italian press, they've changed their minds. No to the Christmas Tree and yes to the 4-3-1-2.

EDIT - Here's Gazzetta's probable lineup:

Kalac
Bonera Nesta Kaladze Favalli
Gattuso Pirlo Ambrosini
Kakà
Pato Ronaldo

They give 70/30 odds on Bonera starting over Oddo and 60/40 odds on Ambrosini starting over Seedorf. Janku, Sergio, Pippo, and Dida are still listed as injured.
Darunia
I think that's the probable lineup.. although I would prefer to see Oddo get another chance. Seedorf played on wed while Ambro did not, so that may be the reason he's rested.
dst
We will field 10 men again... bravo Ancelotti, brave decision!! wink.gif

Favalli again!?!?!! Come on, the guy cannot play every 3 days!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS, WHAT ARE THEY DOING THERE!!?!?!?!!!!!! COME OOOOOOONN...

JANKU?? PAOLO???? Where are you guys? sad.gif

I really hope this is not the team that will play on Sunday. Pato must play and Ronaldo too. It'd be dumb to just throw the young duck out just like that.
Portman
Ambrosini, Gattuso and Pirlo at home vs. Genoa? rolleyes.gif
What about resting Kaka' and playing Brocchi?

Anyway... Pato will score. And we'll get the 3 pts. For sure. cool.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (Porty @ Jan 26 2008, 01:05 AM)
Anyway... Pato will score. And we'll get the 3 pts. For sure.  cool.gif

cool.gif Apparently the boy is more comfortable in front of home crowd... I really hope he scores...
Nova
This will be the 3rd game in a row I have to miss ... sad.gif I hope I'll see a good result when i come back smile.gif
Ry4n
should be a 3 -0 win same as the away match
Tennie
Carletto was chatty in today's pregame interview. (link)

Highlights included:

*Dida might play. It depends on how training goes today.
*Janku, Pippo, and Sergio are still injured, though the first two are expected to start training with the ball next week.
*Ronie and Pato will play in attack. (so it's a 4-3-1-2 and not the Christmas Tree)
*Seedorf will probably be rested. (so we're likely to see Ambro)
*Lots of good words for Borriello, who he says may be recalled and who he thinks Donadoni might call up to the Azzurri.
*There's no Ronaldinho in Milan's future. 'C'e qualcun altro'(quote) - there's SOMEONE ELSE. (any ideas who this might be, guys?)
*Lots of praise for the Cote d'Ivoire NT, specifically Drogba, Kalou, and the Toure brothers.
dst
Yeah yeah yeah there's someone else... just like there was this certain someone that wanted Milan and had his name been revealed it would create chaos... rolleyes.gif
Ry4n
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 26 2008, 01:49 PM)
Carletto was chatty in today's pregame interview. (link)

*Lots of good words for Borriello, who he says may be recalled and who he thinks

Thats good for Borriello , keep scoring goals !! but not tomrow have a off day tongue.gif
KillerMax
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 26 2008, 08:05 AM)
Yeah yeah yeah there's someone else... just like there was this certain someone that wanted Milan and had his name been revealed it would create chaos...  rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif .... Wait... Why am I laughing? mellow.gif That's not funny... That's called lying... mad.gif
Portman
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 26 2008, 02:05 PM)
Yeah yeah yeah there's someone else... just like there was this certain someone that wanted Milan and had his name been revealed it would create chaos...  rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

All I hope is that THAT someone else is a f new coach.
KillerMax
Ronaldo suffers new injury

Ronaldo has been ruled out of Milan’s encounter with Genoa due to a new muscular problem, so there’ll be no Brazilian trio.

Il Fenomeno has been struggling with muscular injuries throughout his stay at the club and has barely featured since August 31.

He had been on fine form since returning to full fitness after the winter break training camp in Dubai, scoring two goals against Napoli and hitting the post with Udinese.

However, he has not even been called up for this weekend’s Serie A match due to a muscular problem.

Pippo Inzaghi is also sidelined with his on-going ankle trouble, so the only strikers available are Alberto Gilardino, Kaka and Alexandre Pato.

It has been rumoured Carlo Ancelotti will revert back to the Christmas Tree formation of Clarence Seedorf and Kaka behind a lone forward and in this situation Pato would be that striker.

Paolo Maldini returns to the team after a bout of flu. The Rossoneri also played on Wednesday evening, when they lost the rescheduled Week 12 tie with Atalanta 2-1 at the Stadio Azzurri d’Italia.

Nelson Dida, Marek Jankulovski and Serginho are long-term absentees.

Milan squad: Kalac, Fiori; Cafu, Favalli, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo; Ambrosini, Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Seedorf; Gilardino, Kakà, Pato.

Football Italia
redbabies
Ronaldo suffers new injury (not againnnnnn cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif )

Ronaldo has been ruled out of Milan’s encounter with Genoa due to a new muscular problem, so there’ll be no Brazilian trio.

Il Fenomeno has been struggling with muscular injuries throughout his stay at the club and has barely featured since August 31.

He had been on fine form since returning to full fitness after the winter break training camp in Dubai, scoring two goals against Napoli and hitting the post with Udinese.

However, he has not even been called up for this weekend’s Serie A match due to a muscular problem.

Pippo Inzaghi is also sidelined with his on-going ankle trouble, so the only strikers available are Alberto Gilardino, Kaka and Alexandre Pato.

It has been rumoured Carlo Ancelotti will revert back to the Christmas Tree formation of Clarence Seedorf and Kaka behind a lone forward and in this situation Pato would be that striker.

Paolo Maldini returns to the team after a bout of flu. The Rossoneri also played on Wednesday evening, when they lost the rescheduled Week 12 tie with Atalanta 2-1 at the Stadio Azzurri d’Italia.

Nelson Dida, Marek Jankulovski and Serginho are long-term absentees.

Milan squad: Kalac, Fiori; Cafu, Favalli, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo; Ambrosini, Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Seedorf; Gilardino, Kakà, Pato.

---------------------------------------------

cry.gif sad.gif wacko.gif blink.gif
KillerMax
Hmmm... We don't need anybody... A grandpa with kidney stones, an injury-plagued 31 year old, and 18 year old and a misfiring Gilardino ought to do it for us.
Ry4n
this is truely his worst ever season for any team this is his how many injuries
redbabies
the worst thing that could happen right now is the injury of R99.

wtf is happening to his muscles??

he's single and that might be a problem.... maybe he's running a lot after girls rolleyes.gif
Ry4n
442 Diamond with Pato and Gila upfront
Portman
Ronnie's injuried? Oh, so unpredictable... rolleyes.gif

That's why he'll be off in June.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.