AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
misha
Udinese vs AC Milan

Serie A 2007/08 - Week 19

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Stadio Friuli

Time : 14:00 (UK); 15:00 (IT)

The spotlight will be on Alexandre Pato once again when Milan take on Udinese at the Stadio Friuli. The young Brazilian sensation marked his competitive debut for the Rossoneri with a goal against Napoli in a 5-2 victory which was their first at San Siro since last April.

It still wasn’t enough to push them out of the bottom half of the table, although Carlo Ancelotti’s men do have three games in hand on most of the rest of Serie A so it seems only a matter of time before they start climbing the ladder. And the Diavolo will fancy their chances of leaving Friuli with the three points as their away form has been impressive this season.

However, if Milan’s Brazilian trident of Kaka, Pato and Ronaldo aren’t firing then breaking through the Zebrette’s rear guard could prove tough, given that Andrea Pirlo is sitting out a one-match suspension. The man to replace calcio’s equivalent of a quarter-back is Gennaro Gattuso, who has plenty of heart but is hardly the man to unlock a defence with a slide-rule pass. That is expected to be the only change to the starting XI which tore Napoli to pieces.

Udinese boss Pasquale Marino has worked wonders since arriving last summer from Catania, pushing the Friuli boys up into contention for a Champions League spot. Despite usually operating with a three-pronged attack, it is actually defence which has been their strong point this term. A solid backline was certainly needed against bottom side Cagliari at the weekend, seeing as the Friuliani had to play with 10 men for an hour after Diaz Felipe’s dismissal. Despite that, Fabio Quagliarella’s seventh goal of the campaign was enough to secure the victory.

Felipe, as you probably guessed, is now suspended so he will be unable to take on the side who have been linked with a move for him in the past – his indiscipline certainly isn’t doing him any favours, as he now has seven yellow cards and two dismissals to his name this term. Andrea Coda benefits from this and will make his 10th appearance of the season. Gokhan Inler, who had previously missed just one game, also sits out a ban so that hands Finnish ace Roman Eremenko an opportunity to stake his claim for a first-team place.

History doesn’t bode too well for Udinese in this fixture though. Milan’s last two trips to the Stadio Friuli have seen them emerge victorious on both occasions, with an aggregate score of 7-0! Add in a 5-1 home win for the Rossoneri in 2005 and the fact that the Zebrette have gone five years without a victory in front of their own fans against Milan and it doesn’t make good reading for Marino and Co. The neutrals, however, can take heart from this statistic – there has been only one goalless draw between the sides since the turn of the century.

Keep an eye on: Alexandre Pato (Milan) – Who else was it going to be? The kid is mustard and is looking more than capable of living up to the hype, so expect more fireworks this weekend.

Last season: Udinese 0-3 Milan

Form guide: Udinese (L W L D W) Milan (D W D L W)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Udinese (probable): Handanovic; Zapata, Coda, Lukovic; Mesto, D'Agostino, Eremenko, Dossena; Pepe, Di Natale, Quagliarella

Milan (probable): Dida; Bonera, Nesta, Kaladze, Maldini; Seedorf, Gattuso, Ambrosini; Kaka; Pato, Ronaldo

A must win game against our direct competitor for the 4th place. With Pa-Ka-Ro the sky is the limit.
arivanjj
hope to see another entertaining match cool.gif
Jack Sparrow
With Pa-Ka-Ro but without Andy. Cr@p...who are we supposed to depend on- Emerson??
misha
Seedorf can play well in Pirlo role, even though he doesn't like it.
han2503
Since Pirlo's out I would like to see Carlo go for something like this

Oddo--Nesta--Bonera--Favalli/Paolo
----Rino---Seedorf---Ambro----
--------------Kaka----------------
-----------Pato--Ronaldo---------

Yoann and Gila should come on at some point in the game
dst
With Pirlo absent I'm not so sure we'll see the Ka-Pa-Ro... in any case, I just hope we'll field 11 players this time! rolleyes.gif
Jack Sparrow
Ooooh....the Seedorf jinx...I know what ur upto. tongue.gif
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 17 2008, 07:26 PM)
Ooooh....the Seedorf jinx...I know what ur upto. tongue.gif

No I was talking about the other being whose name I shall never speak again!
Jack Sparrow
You mean the greatest defender in Milan since Sandro Nesta. Tht piece of awesomeness from Georgia...with the class restaurant. The same dude you're gay for?
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 17 2008, 09:06 PM)
You mean the greatest defender in Milan since Sandro Nesta. Tht piece of awesomeness from Georgia...with the class restaurant. The same dude you're gay for?

Yeah I'm gay for "it"... as much as you're gay for the thought of Milan selling Pirlo and Gila to Inter!
Jack Sparrow
puke.gif
Ok..ok I get the point...yeesh....I need to sleep at night man! What's with all the scary images being thrown at me.
weeeow
allow Pirlo being suspended mad.gif

Ka - Pa - Ro devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif
Darunia
I hope to see some Janku if possible.. this is a big game.. hopefully our away success continues.
bigmacmtl
ah we'll pull off the win we always get the better of udi.
Rossoneri7
Without Pirlo, it wont be the usual game. But I think Carlo can muster something up for this tie.

I don't think Pato will start though .. And my best guess is this lineup :

...............Dida

Oddo...Nesta..Maldini...Sergio

Ringo...Ambrosini.,.Seedorf

...........Kaka'

.....Gilardino
.................Ronaldo

Though I would like to see Pato and Emerson in this one too.
Zed.D
Personally I don't care how Carlo's gonna handle Pirlo's absence or who he's gonna line up in attack... I just want to see Pato play a part, and since this is a rather easy game, I think he will be a starter [probably along with Gilardino - Ronaldo should be rested/saved for important games] and hopefully he scores another goal.
dst
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jan 17 2008, 11:39 PM)
and since this is a rather easy game...

where does this come from?
Zed.D
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 18 2008, 01:20 AM)
where does this come from?

I don't know... it's Udinese and we're playing away from home... it isn't? unsure.gif
dst
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jan 18 2008, 12:01 AM)
I don't know... it's Udinese and we're playing away from home... it isn't?  unsure.gif

I don't know, it could become easy... but Udinese are a strong team that should not be underestimated and the fact that we're playing away from home means nothing on it's own. We have done well in away games so far this season but only so far...

I don't think it's easy to be honest. But if Ronaldo and Gila link up as well as they usually do or if the Ka-Pa-Ro is fired up like against Napoli then it might prove to be a walk in the park...
m1ke
This is a massive game! Udinese are currently fighting for our 4th spot - we have to win, nothing less will do.
dst
QUOTE (m1ke @ Jan 18 2008, 01:13 AM)
This is a massive game! Udinese are currently fighting for our 4th spot - we have to win, nothing less will do.

Actually, we are fighting for their 4th spot... sleep.gif
Ry4n
1 - 3 Ronaldo, Seedorf , Kaka goal scorers
han2503
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jan 17 2008, 09:39 PM)
Personally I don't care how Carlo's gonna handle Pirlo's absence or who he's gonna line up in attack... I just want to see Pato play a part, and since this is a rather easy game, I think he will be a starter [probably along with Gilardino - Ronaldo should be rested/saved for important games] and hopefully he scores another goal.

Imo, this is one of our most important games of the season, forget about our past history with Udine, this season they are doing amazingly well. We will fight against our direct competitor for 4th spot in this game. Can't see how you could take it so lightly imo.

As for the formation, I like the one R7 posted. And imo, R9 HAS to play in this one, now whether it's Pato or Gila playing next to him doesn;t really matter, but Ronaldo is essential to us. And he'll probably play better then he did against Napoli since he's getting back into the swing of things more
Ry4n
i also think that just like we showed at home to Napoli when we do fire on all cylinders , meaning great attacks , our defence has to cope with theres comming how ever big or small. what im saying is that if now our attack is sorted we cant let our defence slip
han2503
QUOTE (rhy_A4 @ Jan 18 2008, 07:00 AM)
i also think that just like we showed at home to Napoli when we do fire on all cylinders , meaning great attacks , our defence has to cope with theres comming how ever big or small. what im saying is that if now our attack is sorted we cant let our defence slip

Yeah, but you can't expect them to score 5 goals in every game. Napoli are much more attack minded and you have to admit that they gave us a lot of space, where as Udine are much more defence oriented this season and we will find it tougher to break them down, especially without Pirlo.

Im the defence needs a lot of work put on it. Nesta is the only defender that we have that is in form, the others are not, Bonera maybe, but is Carlo will continue playing him on the flank he is of no use there. He needs to play in the center where I think he will be a big boost if we take Kala off the pitch, because let's face it, he's the culprit for more then probably 35% of the goals we conceed.
Ry4n
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 18 2008, 07:55 AM)
Yeah, but you can't expect them to score 5 goals in every game. Napoli are much more attack minded and you have to admit that they gave us a lot of space, where as Udine are much more defence oriented this season and we will find it tougher to break them down, especially without Pirlo.

Im the defence needs a lot of work put on it. Nesta is the only defender that we have that is in form, the others are not, Bonera maybe, but is Carlo will continue playing him on the flank he is of no use there. He needs to play in the center where I think he will be a big boost if we take Kala off the pitch, because let's face it, he's the culprit for more then probably 35% of the goals we conceed.

i totally agree with you m8 Kala out for or at least switched position with Bonera so that Bonera plays centre and Kala on the left
redbabies
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 18 2008, 08:55 AM)

I dont think Udine are playing that defensively, at least not at home!
dst
QUOTE (redbabies @ Jan 18 2008, 03:05 PM)

They're certainly not going to play with 3 at the back...
whoarethepatriots
Udine are an attack minded squad. We should be able to use our forwards and exploit the gaps in the team. Counter should prove effective here
han2503
QUOTE (redbabies @ Jan 18 2008, 01:05 PM)

They are much better then Napoli in defence that's for sure. I'm praying that R9 is fit for the game, because he thrives on tight spaces and if Udine play a closed match we will find it easier to break them down with him.

And I can't see them going full out attack against us, no matter what their usual style is
Ry4n
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 18 2008, 05:11 PM)
They are much better then Napoli in defence that's for sure. I'm praying that R9 is fit for the game, because he thrives on tight spaces and if Udine play a closed match we will find it easier to break them down with him.

And I can't see them going full out attack against us, no matter what their usual style is

im just glad gattuso is playing this match he can shutdown Di natale wink.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (rhy_A4 @ Jan 18 2008, 11:14 PM)
im just glad gattuso is playing this match he can shutdown Di natale  wink.gif

I hope so, but Gattuso has not been in a great form this season...
Ry4n
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jan 18 2008, 07:50 PM)

true but i really just think he needed a rest , let hope hes rested now and he can regane his form back starting with Udi
weeeow
lets hope our Ivan 'the Great' doesnt get sent off...
han2503
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jan 18 2008, 07:50 PM)

One of the big reasons we've been having problems this season imo
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (rhy_A4 @ Jan 18 2008, 10:54 PM)
true but i really just think he needed a rest , let hope hes rested now and he can regane his form back starting with Udi

Gennaro had been one of our best players, year after year pushing the team and giving a helping hand.

I don't think it's a matter of form, I think he just needs to recharge his batteries.
Ry4n
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 18 2008, 08:56 PM)
Gennaro had been one of our best players, year after year pushing the team and giving a helping hand.

I don't think it's a matter of form, I think he just needs to recharge his batteries.

thats what i said lol in a way
arivanjj
Serie A Preview: Udinese-Milan -- goal.com preview

Sitting Pretty, For Now At Least

Udinese, amazingly, are currently sitting in fourth place in the Serie A table. After a respectable tenth place finish last season, they nearly lost their top two strikers over the summer, with both Antonio Di Natale and Fabio Quagliarella coming close to exiting for bigger clubs (names such as AS Roma, Milan and Manchester United were frequently mentioned). However, neither striker left, with the club doing everything they could to hold onto two of the hottest properties in Italian football.

This term, the two strikers have prospered in Udinese’s fearsome three-pronged attack (usually alongside either Asamoah Gyan or Simone Pepe), with each having scored seven goals so far.

Regarding their standing, how long can they keep it up? With Fiorentina right on their heels and Milan sure to start gaining ground on everyone due to the backlog of fixtures they have, Udinese will be hard-pressed to hang onto this lofty position.

All hope is not lost, however. A stingy defense, which has only given up three goals or more on two occasions this season, has been the most-reliable part of the squad. With the attack not always firing on all cylinders, the backline is what has kept them in many of their matches.

Out With the Old, In With the New

This Sunday marks the twenty-third anniversary of Paolo Maldini’s debut in the Milan first team. All the way back on January 20, 1985, then sixteen year old Maldini came on for the second half away to Udinese (the match finished at one goal apiece), in what would be the beginning of one of the most-successful careers in football history. And this Sunday, in front of the entire world, Paolo Maldini returns for the last time as a player to the place where he began his career.

While Milan captain Paolo Maldini winds down the last few months of his career, Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato made his own debut just last Sunday, and what a debut it was! He had told the press he was going to score, and he made good on that prediction by getting his first Milan goal in the 74th minute, in Milan’s 5-2 win over Napoli (although, he did initially predict he would score twice).

Milan’s attack has been laboring all season long, and this young, energetic striker is just what they needed. The way he combined with Kakà (who scored in the very same match) and Ronaldo (he scored twice on his return from a long injury layoff) bodes well for the Milan as they try to climb up the Serie A table and defend their Champions League crown.

FORM GUIDE (last five fixtures)

Udinese

12/15 Catania 2-0 Udinese Serie A

12/19 Udinese 0-0 Palermo Coppa Italia

12/23 Udinese 2-2 Empoli Serie A

1/13 Cagliari 0-1 Udinese Serie A

1/16 Palermo 0-1 Udinese Coppa Italia

Milan

12/16 Milan 4-2 Boca Juniors World Club Cup

12/20 Milan 1-2 Catania Coppa Italia

12/23 Inter 2-1 Milan Serie A

1/13 Milan 5-2 Napoli Serie A

1/16 Catania 1-1 Milan Coppa Italia

TEAM NEWS

Udinese have two absentees, both through suspension. Felipe was sent off in the first half of last Sunday’s away victory against Cagliari. The other player missing out is Swiss midfielder Gokhan Inler, for yellow card accumulation.

Milan will be missing Andrea Pirlo, due to the amount of yellow cards he has received. As far as the fitness of the squad is concerned, manager Carlo Ancelotti should have plenty of choices for the lineup with nearly everyone fully-fit.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Antonio Di Natale (Udinese) – He is joint top-scorer for his club this season, with seven goals. He has now cemented a place for himself in the Azzurri setup, and could shine this Sunday in Udinese’s trident attack against a Milan defense which can lack focus from time to time.

Alexandre Pato
(Milan) – Following his debut last Sunday, he will again be expected to dazzle by showing ability beyond his tender years. The goal he scored last weekend in his debut only added more pressure.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI’s

Udinese (3-4-3): Handanovic; Zapata, Coda, Lukovic; Mesto, D’Agostino, Eremenko, Dossena; Pepe Di Natale, Quagliarella

Milan (4-3-1-2): Dida; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Maldini; Seedorf, Gattuso, Ambrosini; Kakà; Pato, Ronaldo

PREDICTION

Milan have fared well against Udinese in recent seasons, winning this particular fixture last season by a score of 3-0. Although this year’s version of Udinese is quite a bit better, the new-look Milan frontline could very well become the most-feared in all of Italy, if not the world.

This match will not be as open as Milan's 5-2 win over Napoli last Sunday, so don't expect quite as many fireworks.

Udinese 0-2 Milan
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (rhy_A4 @ Jan 19 2008, 12:27 AM)
thats what i said lol in a way

biggrin.gif And i was of the same opinion
Ry4n
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 18 2008, 10:05 PM)
biggrin.gif And i was of the same opinion

so we are on the same page wicked wink.gif

what do you think the score will be tomrow as everyones saying it going to be a tight match and presuming Ronaldo is fit to play most of the game
KillerMax
1:2 Milan. Both Kaka goals, one from a penalty kick.
kurtsimonw
0:2. Kaka' and... Kaladze! ohmy.gif
Zed.D
Am I the only one who feels Pato will score again?!...
Darunia
Ronaldo Kaka, Di Natale tongue.gif
Ry4n
all three that scored against Napoli except Pato but Pato to set up all three goals
arivanjj
is there any reason why Pato and Roni shouldn't start this match? besides Carlo's hardheadedness(ohmy.gif apparently that's a word) to "keep faith" in Gila. rolleyes.gif
bigmacmtl
gila will pop a goal in if he starts with pato.
han2503
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jan 19 2008, 03:56 AM)
is there any reason why Pato and Roni shouldn't start this match? besides Carlo's hardheadedness(ohmy.gif apparently that's a word) to "keep faith" in Gila. rolleyes.gif

Either way, I think no matter who plays in the attack the strikers will score.

Whether it's Pato-Ronnie, Pato-Gila or Ronnie-Gila, I think either of those 3 combinations will work.

As for who Carlo starts, I think he might go for Ronaldo, but take him off at some point in the second half if we are doing well and replace him with Gila. Or he will use him as a sub if we need a goal. For all we know Gila and Ronnie could start and Pato could be a sub. I'm not worried with which Carlo will choose to go. Personally I'm more worried about the defence
Zed.D
I don't see any reason why Pato should sit on the bench. I think Carlo will play him.
arivanjj
since Pirlo is suspended how about we play with 3: Roni - Gila - Pato biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.