Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: G14 disbands after historic deal!
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
dst
G14 disbands after historic deal
Tuesday 15 January, 2008

The G14 group of top European clubs has disbanded after agreeing an “historic” deal with FIFA and UEFA.

The sides had banded together into an organisation called the G14 – including Inter, Milan and Juventus – to launch court cases against FIFA and threaten to create a breakaway League.

Instead, UEFA President Michel Platini has helped broker a deal in Zurich that will see FIFA and UEFA make “financial contributions for players’ participation in European Championships and World Cups.”

This will resolve the debate from clubs over compensation for players injured during international duty.

Legal cases backed by the G14 included Lyon suing for Eric Abidal breaking his foot in a France friendly, but will not we dropped.

The G14 has been dissolved, but a new organisation created called the European Club Association and this independent body will be recognised by FIFA and UEFA.

“As part of the planned moves, UEFA and FIFA will enter into a series of commitments including financial contributions for player participation in European Championships and World Cups, subject to the approval of their respective bodies,” said a statement.

"The demands of the clubs to be heard and to be associated, also financially, are well-founded,” added Platini. "The letter of intent signed today is not a political step, but a logical one."

The G14 consisted of Milan, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter, Porto, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United, Marseille, Paris Saint-Germain, PSV, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen, Olympique Lyonnais and Valencia.

channel4

Instead, UEFA President Michel Platini has helped broker a deal in Zurich that will see FIFA and UEFA make “financial contributions for players’ participation in European Championships and World Cups.”

This is ridiculous... I can't believe it! And what if a player is injured when playing for his club and misses the following Euro championship?? What happens then? I guess they don't give a ****... rolleyes.gif
kurtsimonw
I never liked the whole G14 in the first place..
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 15 2008, 10:06 PM)

This is ridiculous... I can't believe it! And what if a player is injured when playing for his club and misses the following Euro championship?? What happens then? I guess they don't give a ****... rolleyes.gif

mmm What if the player gets injured in the club before going to play in a tournament for his country ? I mean, it's not like the country is paying the player's salary or anything.
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 15 2008, 10:27 PM)
mmm What if the player gets injured in the club before going to play in a tournament for his country ? I mean, it's not like the country is paying the player's salary or anything.

If they are fighting for something then it matters... if his national team are going to the Euro as tourists then no one should even bother... I'm quite sure national teams want all their players to be healthy...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 15 2008, 11:38 PM)
If they are fighting for something then it matters... if his national team are going to the Euro as tourists then no one should even bother... I'm quite sure national teams want all their players to be healthy...

Of course, but that is not the case here. The clubs are worried about one thing, and one thing only (from this aspect, not in general of course) to protect their investment.

If a player gets injured playing for the national team, is it fair that the club pay his wages while he is in rehabilitation ?

It's not about motivation really, it's more of insurance for the clubs. Which, at their level, they have a point.
dst
The question is simple: Since the federations will have to give money to clubs for their players shouldn't the clubs give money to the federations for the exact same reason?? Imagine a country missing qualification for a WC while one or two important players of theirs are injured... in my opinion, they deserve to be compensated too...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 16 2008, 01:15 AM)
The question is simple: Since the federations will have to give money to clubs for their players shouldn't the clubs give money to the federations for the exact same reason?? Imagine a country missing qualification for a WC while one or two important players of theirs are injured... in my opinion, they deserve to be compensated too...

Have u read my post ? huh.gif

Why would the club compensate the national team ? is the national team paying the players wages for the time he spends with them ?

I mean .. The whole idea of the compensation is 'insurance' for the party that is paying the wage(s).

Of course, as a critic, ur entitled to ur opinion.
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 16 2008, 12:33 AM)
Why would the club compensate the national team ? is the national team paying the players wages for the time he spends with them ?

What do you mean why?? Do you think national teams and competitions exist just for fun or do they exist so that we can express our nationalism?? There are great interests imperiled at this level too in case you haven't noticed...

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 16 2008, 12:33 AM)
Of course, as a critic, ur entitled to ur opinion.

Oh I'm sorry I have an opinion. And it's different than yours! How do I dare...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 16 2008, 01:41 AM)
What do you mean why?? Do you think national teams and competitions exist just for fun or do they exist so that we can express our nationalism?? There are great interests imperiled at this level too in case you haven't noticed...
Oh I'm sorry I have an opinion. And it's different than yours! How do I dare...

Of course national teams and the competitions that they are involved in are part of this wonderful sport called Football. And yes, they are there to express our nationalism. And yes there are 'national interests' being put at risk, considering that the players play for clubs.

Am I disagreeing with u here ? No.

What's my point ?

The compensation FIFA and UEFA are offering to the clubs, is not an incentive for the clubs (if it was, then I would be sharing the same opinion as urs). If the clubs had it their way, they wouldn't allow they're players to leave and risk being injured.

Therefor, the clubs are compensated by the loss of their players. What's the difference between club and country ? The club pays the players wages. And since the club isn't built on an oil rig, it's not fair that they pay the wages of their players whom got injured on call for the national team.

That's the whole point. Has nothing to do with national team duty and all that.
dst
But it's not just about the players' wages, it's about the results (product) too...

Let's say players are the machines here. Both the national teams and the clubs are willing to create a product. For the product to be made they want their machines to work. If someone else break their machines then they both merit to be compensated. I don't see why only one side should have this right. As long as a player is not retired, he belongs to his country too and if he is injured his country's interests are offended...

It's as simple as this to me really...
Rossoneri7
OMG ... Man, just read my above post. I really don't want to repeat myself anymore.
dst
Oh please I read your post... what now, do I HAVE TO agree with you? Get out of your micro-world for God's sake, not everyone's going to agree with you just cause you believe you are always right... learn to like it!
Nova
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 16 2008, 11:31 AM)
Oh please I read your post... what now, do I HAVE TO agree with you? Get out of your micro-world for God's sake, not everyone's going to agree with you just cause you believe you are always right... learn to like it!

What is it with you and your "DO I HAVE TO AGREE?" huh.gif

Does he have the agree with you ???

Every damn time someone lets it know they dont agree with you , you go defending your freedom of speech.

Wich you have , but dont make it sound like R7 is not respecting your oppinion just cause he had enough of repeating himself.
dst
QUOTE (Nova @ Jan 16 2008, 12:58 PM)
What is it with you and your "DO I HAVE TO AGREE?"  huh.gif

Does he have the agree with you ???

Every damn time someone lets it know they dont agree with you ,  you go defending your freedom of speech.

Wich you have , but dont make it sound like R7 is not respecting your opinion just cause he had enough of repeating himself.

What does "OMG ... Man, just read my above post. I really don't want to repeat myself anymore." mean?

It's like he says I did not read his post and if I had I would be agreeing with him. Well I read the damn post and I still don't agree, is that so difficult to cope with? Why does the fact that I don't agree with what he says means that I did not read his post?

And no he doesn't have to agree with me. I'm the last person that will try and induce you about anything, I just posted my opinion...

I don't care if he agrees with me or not, isn't that blatant obvious? The "read my post and agree with me cause I'm right" attitude is what pisses me off and yes this attitude shows me he doesn't respect my opinion...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 16 2008, 02:04 PM)
What does "OMG ... Man, just read my above post. I really don't want to repeat myself anymore." mean?

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 16 2008, 02:15 AM)
Of course national teams and the competitions that they are involved in are part of this wonderful sport called Football. And yes, they are there to express our nationalism. And yes there are 'national interests' being put at risk, considering that the players play for clubs.
Am I disagreeing with u here ? No.

That's what it means rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (dst @ Jan 16 2008, 01:31 PM)

Everyone to agree with me huh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

U know what ... Ur right, I'm just paranoid cuz everyone agrees with me laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
dst
... rolleyes.gif
LaPalma
The successor of the G14, the ECA (European club Association) was established yesterday and Bayern Karl-Heinz Rummenigge became their first President (Barcas Joan Laporte works as his sidekick wink.gif ). Let's see what this new organization will work like... unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.