Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A back on terrestrial TV!
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
whoarethepatriots
Fans in Britain will be able to see Serie A action on terrestrial television next season after Channel Five picked up the TV rights.

Reports in Italy made the claim this morning and the news seems to have been confirmed this afternoon.

Production will be carried out by Sunset+Vine, a subsidiary of Tinopolis, who already provide Five with their cricket package.

Ron Jones, the executive chairman of Tinopolis, said: "The main deal is for a highlights programme – although Five do have the rights for live matches as well.”

Serie A football was first shown on UK television in 1992 when Channel 4 made their move following Paul Gascoigne’s switch to Lazio.

The coverage moved to British Eurosport in 2002, before Bravo and Setanta agreed a joint deal in 2005.

Bravo dropped their coverage at the end of 2006, though, due to a lack of decent audience figures.

Mainly highlights, but better than nothing
Warchant
serie a signed a lot of new contracts this year

they will also be showing their games on FSC in the states next season
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Warchant @ Jun 12 2007, 11:08 AM)

good news for us north americans smile.gif
Warchant
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Jun 12 2007, 11:13 AM)
good news for us north americans  smile.gif

excellent news...gol tv had the serie rights for the past few years, but i believe they ran up last year.

FSC was very quick to get a lot of the top tier serie a games on FSC
whoarethepatriots
Italy's dominance both Internationally and European helps.

Rejoice, we can watch for free
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 12 2007, 07:19 PM)
Italy's dominance both Internationally and European helps.

Rejoice, we can watch for free

For free !!! I have to pay 20bucks/ year to watch Serie A tongue.gif tongue.gif
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jun 12 2007, 12:01 PM)
For free !!! I have to pay 20bucks/ year to watch Serie A tongue.gif  tongue.gif

darn, 20$? i have the canadian latin network (telelatino, mainly italian shows) so thats included in one of my packages so i get 90% of the milan games. they play 4-5 serie a games on the weekend and then a cool review show that shows the extended highlights for every match and they discuss.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 12 2007, 12:51 PM)
Mainly highlights, but better than nothing

QUOTE (Warchant @ Jun 12 2007, 04:08 PM)

I suppose it shows there's a bigger interest in Serie A Worldwide.

Usually everything we get on Five ends up being picked up by Sky Sports after a few years (NNA, NFL) because Five seems to know when things are rising in popularity. Let's hope they give us some games, too! biggrin.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Jun 12 2007, 08:13 PM)
darn, 20$? i have the canadian latin network (telelatino, mainly italian shows) so thats included in one of my packages so i get 90% of the milan games. they play  4-5 serie a games on the weekend and then a cool review show that shows the extended highlights for every match and they discuss.

Well, for those $20, believe it or not (jefri probably has the same package), I get the Spanish league games too .. An extensive review of all the games both in Serie A and La Liga .. As a whole, a package like this in Europe (or North American), how much would it cost ?
misha
Here it's pretty good. 2-3 live games + highlights from other games
kurtsimonw
Sky tv, if you just wanted the sports channels, still costs around £17 a month or something. But since Sky don't get Serie A you have to make do with Premier League and La Liga.

For Serie A I think Setanta Sports have it, think that costs £15 a month. Setanta has Italian, Scottish, German and French football I believe.

So $20 is cheap in my opinion, you're lucky you don't live in Europe. tongue.gif
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jun 12 2007, 12:20 PM)
Well, for those $20, believe it or not (jefri probably has the same package), I get the Spanish league games too .. An extensive review of all the games both in Serie A and La Liga .. As a whole, a package like this in Europe (or North American), how much would it cost ?

well there theres 3-4 diff sport packages that have 4-5 sport channels each and each package is 5-6$ dollars a month (thats no including the 20$ you pay for basic package). so i have 2 of those sport packages + one with few foreign package (german for my dad, he speaks it) and the italian network is included in that. so i pay 5$ i think for telelatino and we get a few other channels for that too.
whoarethepatriots
Eurosport was the best for Serie A, i still fondly remember my Staurday evenings and sundays were devoted to watching games

Five im guessing will only show big games (Milanese Roman derbys, top 4 clashes)

But still like i said better than nothing, or better than watching on sopcast
Milan Are Brilliant
Well it's better than nothing, and saves me a subscription to Setanta at Uni!
Rossoneri7
Yeah .. It's pretty cheap here. When the Jazeera Sport got the rights for both Serie A and La Liga, they wanted to broadcast free, but La Liga intervened and said that Jazeera have to impose a fee (to keep the league exclusive). Therefor, they put this ridiculous price biggrin.gif (in case ur wondering, Jazeera makes BIG $$ on adverts, that is why it wanted to broadcast free games)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.