Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Henry slams Dein exit amid transfer talk
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
Pages: 1, 2
Warchant
Speculation over the future of Thierry Henry will intensify after he slammed the exit of vice chairman David Dein, saying it 'wasn't a clever move' and he was 'devastated', while admitting he is flattered to be linked with a move to the likes of AC Milan.

In an exclusive interview with ESPNSoccernet Press Pass, the Arsenal skipper discussed his future at the Emirates amid talk of a move and bemoaned the loss of a man who, in tandem with manager Arsene Wenger, had been central to the Gunners success.

Dein left Arsenal earlier this year due to unreconcilable differences with the rest of the board, believed to surround the proposed investment from American businessman Stan Kroenke.

Henry was in no doubt about the effect of Dein's departure when pressed on his future following recent newspaper stories in which Carlo Ancelotti confirmed his interest.

Henry told ESPNSoccernet Press Pass: 'It's great to hear [being linked to AC Milan]. How can you not think that? On the other side as I said to you, and so many times at the moment, I'm an Arsenal player.

'Everybody knows that a lot of stuff happened at the club recently that wasn't supposed to happen. In terms of the departure of Mr Dein, the bosses have been unsettled and a lot of players have been unsettled in the club. So the only thing I can tell you is right now I'm an Arsenal player but hearing that is nice to hear, I can't deny it.

The Gunners' record goalscorer did not hide his disappointment at Dein's exit. He said: 'I was devastated. Everybody who knows Mr Dein, we know that the guy loves football. He knew everybody at the stadium, the name of everybody and I mean everybody at the club, whether you play for the youth team or you clean the dressing room - he knew everybody.

'He's the type of guy who used to turn up raining, snowing, windy, to watch the under-17s, the under-19s, the reserves - everybody - on his own at the training ground and one person that I wouldn't have liked to leave the board, would have been Mr Dein.

'But it's out of my hands, I'm not up there. I don't know what happened, and I don't want to know what happened.'

Henry's respect for Dein was further underlined by his opinion that he, with Wenger, has made Arsenal the club it is today.

'What I'm saying to you is that Arsene and Mr Dein, although no one is bigger than the club, are really close to being Arsenal,' Henry added in his interview with ESPNSoccernet Press Pass. ' If you ask me, they're the two people for me who come really close to ever one day saying it.

'But I would like to say that whatever happened, Mr Dein leaving wasn't a clever move.

'So far I'm here, talking to you, about a thing that happened that I didn't agree with but sometimes that's just the way it is. It happened, and we have to move on.'

Despite Henry's future in north London being in doubt, he sees the signs of recovery for an Arsenal side which has been off the pace in the Premiership in recent seasons.

'The potential is definitely there,' he told ESPNSoccernet Press Pass. 'The signs are definitely there. So now let's hope we can put that all together and bring back some silverware. Man United didn't win the league for three years and finally they did it - who would have said that 10 years ago? So things happen sometimes, you have to keep going and make sure you can be better and have a great season next season.'

Henry also admitted that the move to the Emirates made it difficult to compete: 'At the end of the day, everybody knows all of our resources went into building the new stadium. Therefore, you have to deal with what you have. So that's why I would like to give credit to some of the youngsters. Maybe if we don't have a new stadium, we would have done better and maybe have more players, I don't know.

'Sometimes you can't invent something that you don't have or create something that you don't have, so you have to deal with what you have. We're still playing good football, ok, not winning anything at the moment but you know, you have to give us that at least.'
misha
He wants us cool.gif
weeeow
QUOTE (mishale @ Jun 7 2007, 08:46 PM)
He wants us cool.gif

I think so biggrin.gif devil.gif devilsmiley.gif king.gif
Portman
Barcelona is waiting for you. cool.gif
KillerMax
Henry will be a Milan player next season. cool.gif
Rossoneri7
Henry will end up in Barca .. R10's sale is this summer cool.gif
Portman
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jun 7 2007, 11:45 PM)

KillerMax
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jun 7 2007, 04:45 PM)

I promise you that there is NO way that is happening.
Bluesummers
Too soon to speak, he is moving for sure but to where? Thats unsure. Although this is probably who carlo was talking about when he said chaos would happen if he revealed the name, and indeed it would happen. The English media would be writing non-stop for days and with a lot of criticism because they despise Italian clubs. I would rather have Eto than him either way.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Jun 8 2007, 04:38 AM)
The English media would be writing non-stop for days and with a lot of criticism because they despise Italian clubs. 

Very true. Even though the only non-English club in the last 4 won it, yeah great success that is for England rolleyes.gif
han2503
So Max was right.... Interesting... cool.gif
Locke Lamora
Common, hes said like 3000 times that he's staying.
But the media need to hit their deadlines so they won't listen.
han2503
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Jun 8 2007, 11:44 AM)

Yeah, I get what you're saying it's probably like the Kaka Real situation we have, but it is slightly different.

I personally think that Henry will be leaving Aresenal in the summer. Now whether it's to Barca or someone else is unknown, but chances are that he is more likely to leave then to stay.

And imo it would be better for Arsenal if they cashed in on him now while his name is big enough to command a huge transfer fee but also while he is getting more injury prone and older
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 8 2007, 12:48 PM)
I personally think that Henry will be leaving Aresenal in the summer. Now whether it's to Barca or someone else is unknown, but chances are that he is more likely to leave then to stay.

Henry want`s success, right or wrong?

If he has even a tiny drop of brain, he will choose Milan, cause what we have here is a 99,9% chance of success. With Barca you never know,...they are pretty much the same as Arsenal, but at least they are winning from time to time. Nah...

Also, he failed once in Italy. It was Carlitos mistake...now, they both are famous and have a pretty strong motive.. cool.gif
dst
Milan link pleases Henry
Friday 8 June, 2007
Arsenal hitman Thierry Henry has admitted that he is pleased to be of interest to Champions League winners Milan.

The Gunners’ captain has been linked with a move to the San Siro after Coach Carlo Ancelotti admitted that the striker was among the players the Rossoneri were following.

“That is great to hear,” said Henry to The Sun newspaper. “How can it be anything else?

“As I have said many times, now I am an Arsenal player, but everyone knows that many things have happened at the club recently that were not supposed to happen,” added the Frenchman, referring to vice-chairman David Dein’s departure in April.

“In terms of Mr Dein leaving the club, the bosses and a lot of players at the club have been unsettled.

“So the only thing I can tell you is right now I am an Arsenal player, but I cannot deny it’s nice to hear about Milan,” added the Barcelona target.

The 29-year-old signed a four-year contract with Arsenal last year which suggested he would end his career with the London outfit.

However, he has since been plagued by injuries and has grown frustrated at Arsenal’s inability to compete for the Premiership title.

“It’s always the same top four and I’m actually getting annoyed that we’re finishing at the end of the top four now,” he said recently, fuelling speculation that a summer move may be on the cards.

channel4

!! rolleyes.gif !!

... smile.gif
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Jun 8 2007, 11:44 AM)

Unlike last season he hasn't come out and publicly said that he's staying...

He just keeps saying he's a gooner for now but is flattered by interest from Milan and Barca, I wouldn't have much confidence if I was an Arsenal fan.
Portman
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Jun 8 2007, 05:09 AM)
I promise you that there is NO way that is happening.

Are you sure about that? smile.gif
Warchant
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/index?cc=5901

go to the video player on the right side and watch the video interview with henry

he's leaving arsenal...should be an interesting summer to see if he comes here or barca
Tennie
Wow. He really does want out. You could tell that much just by the tone of his voice.

Not my very favouritest player, but he's very good. Wouldn't be gutted if he played for Milan next year.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jun 8 2007, 02:19 PM)
Wow. He really does want out. You could tell that much just by the tone of his voice.

Not my very favouritest player, but he's very good. Wouldn't be gutted if he played for Milan next year.

Yeah he seems pretty fed up. But for arsenal to go all out and invest in a stadium has cost them in the short run, however maybe 10 years from now they may be around top 5 of Europe's best. I personally said that i would like eto to come and henry to go barca but i wont complain if he comes here. As long as we do something in the transfer market, all milan fans will be happy. If we have a transfer season like we did last year with a similar striker like oli coming in, then galliani has to leave. They have no excuse and if they are not willing to spend that is a problem. 50+ mil from champs league and 45 mil from sheva. Oli oddo ronaldo gourcuff may have taken 40-50 mil all together, but we still made a profit. anyways eto or henry it seems are our options now.
blue_prince
on the other note, i would prefer henry over eto'o.

eto's has a slightly better scoring ability than henry, but henry is the player who can replace sheva. i am just refering to our famous formation 3-5 yrs ago, when sheva ran down the right and pippo scoring from the center and at the same time rui costa building a good supply through the middle and left. as we have ronaldo now, we dont need to worry about scoring.

and finally some visual aids:

---Gattuso------Pirlo------Ambro/Seedorf (Emerson, or De Rossi)
-----------------------Kaka------------------
---------Henry-------------------------------
-----------------Ronaldo--------------------
(with both kaka and henry having attacking arrows forward)
jbryant1
Henry would be a phenomenal acquisition our offense would go on a tear. Ronaldo, Henry, and Kaka. Its like three of my all time favorite players working together.

It also gives Henry a way to prove his worth because he started with Juventus and didn't accomplish much in serie A. Only with the Prem did he make his impact.

We need a total forward for this squad. Henry would gives us an option that is as good as it gets. The only risk is injury. But we are the 3rd richest club and money is not that much of an issue. Henry will bring sponsorships and more prestige to the Milan club, which is in turn will generate more revenues for shareholders. Most of the top clubs are aggressive in the transfer markets and we have to be to compete for new/seasoned talent.
KillerMax
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 8 2007, 07:12 AM)
Are you sure about that?  smile.gif

Yes, and Henry is coming. You have my word. wink.gif
Jack Sparrow
Henry?? Well yes, he's exactly the kind of person I was asking for last season, a guy who can drift outside left and bring players into the game. I kinda thought Oli would do the same, but no such luck.

But then again, he's a not a SS, he's already failed once in Serie A, he's expensive, and he means we probably won't be signing any hot young talents.

After Sheva I'm worried about every single big name we buy...then again guess Carlo isn't fool enough to play him outta position...
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 9 2007, 09:05 AM)
Henry?? Well yes, he's exactly the kind of person I was asking for last season, a guy who can drift outside left and bring players into the game. I kinda thought Oli would do the same, but no such luck.

But then again, he's a not a SS, he's already failed once in Serie A, he's expensive, and he means we probably won't be signing any hot young talents.

After Sheva I'm worried about every single big name we buy...then again guess Carlo isn't fool enough to play him outta position...

Exactly, Carlo might not be as good as Mourinho when it comes to tactics and what not but he is a good player manager and knows where to play his players to get the best out of them.

IF Henry where to come he would play as he does at Arsenal, meaning starting out wide left and cutting in.
dst
Ancelotti: Henry deal 'difficult'
9 Jun 2007

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti has told Sky Sports News that it will be very difficult for the Italian club to prise Thierry Henry from Arsenal this summer.

The Gunners captain is being heavily linked with an exit from North London and recently admitted he was flattered by talk of interest from the UEFA Champions League winners. biggrin.gif

Henry's eight-year association with Arsenal looks to have been thrown into doubt by former vice-chairman David Dein's departure from Emirates Stadium and Barcelona are also ready to move for the French star should he opt to leave the Premiership.

However, the Milan coach is playing down talk of a possible move for Arsenal's crown jewel, insisting it will be extremely difficult to bring the striker back to Italy where he once played under Ancelotti at Juventus.

"He is a very good forward, but not the only forward, there are other good strikers," Ancelotti told Sky Sports News.

"Henry has a contract with another club and it is difficult to buy players who have a contract."

Only last summer, Henry turned down the chance to move to Barcelona in order to commit his long-term future to The Gunners, but speculation regarding his future has hit fever pitch once more.

Fellow Gunners striker Emmanuel Adebayor is desperate to see his skipper stay at Emirates Stadium next season.

"He is the best player of the team, he is one of the best players in the world," said Adebayor.

"He is one of the biggest players we missed during the season and if he is there we will be happy because he is still there to score, but obviously that's football.

"We hope he is going to stay."

skysports

Carletto was his coach at Giuve 9 years ago... that could be good... or bad.
kurtsimonw
Don't expect Henry to be that World class striker, because he's not going to be. He'll be decent enough but if Gila plays well, he'll be on the bench because R9 is irreplacable.

Unless Henry takes up the 'Seedorf role'?
Portman
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 9 2007, 02:54 PM)
Don't expect Henry to be that World class striker, because he's not going to be. He'll be decent enough but if Gila plays well, he'll be on the bench because R9 is irreplacable.

Unless Henry takes up the 'Seedorf role'?

No way Henry will be benched in any team in the world.

Seedorf's role? In our 4-3-1-2? No... no way.

But stop with Henry. He's not joining us. If he leaves L'Arsenal he'll go to Spain.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 9 2007, 02:34 PM)
No way Henry will be benched in any team in the world.

Seedorf's role? In our 4-3-1-2? No... no way.

But stop with Henry. He's not joining us. If he leaves L'Arsenal he'll go to Spain.

I meant taking Seedrofs role when we only play with 1 striker. I don't think Seedorf should be in the team in the 4-3-1-2. Rino, Ambro and Pirlo should be the 3, Kaka' the 1.

Ancelotti will push for Henry, he's promised us a World class player, and that would have to be a striker. R10, Eto'o, Drogba, Sheva are all not coming, Henry's the only one left, i think so anyways.

Henry has the kind of attitude where the fact that he was awful in Italy, he'll have to go and change that.
Jack Sparrow
Ancelotti will push for Henry, he's promised us a World class player, and that would have to be a striker

Why does everybody make the same mistake?? It's really not Carletto's call to make. He might have a big say in who he doesn't want in his team. He can suggest a name, but it is Galliani, Braida and group who decide whom they want to bring, considering the finances and their perception of need.

So it's not like say Chelsea where Mourinho is(used to be tongue.gif) boss, and Kenyon existed just to do his bidding.

Here Galliani rules(under Silvio's thumb of course) and Carletto is just a coach with a rather weighty say in what I do admit is a very very democratic football club.

^^^^
My sermon for the week. wink.gif tongue.gif

I'm sorry, but I've been sick and tired of people blaming Carletto for the lack of transfers last season. Not saying u did it Kurt, but not gonna let such things lie...
kurtsimonw
Is that for real?

I don't even understand why Ancelotti is coach then, he may get a bunch of players he doesn't want, or doesn't feel fit into his plans. I thought he gave a list of names to whoever and they went out and got anybody off the list.

That's plain stupid, no wonder we're the worst team in Europea when it comes to transfers. rolleyes.gif
Jack Sparrow
No no....it's like this....case in point...

Last Season...So Carletto looks at his team and sees since Ambro is so injured all the time, he needs a solid DM to play that 4-2-3-1 of his. So he makes this little demand(miraculously publicly for Emerson). But then calciopoli and all that sh!t happens, and for whatever reason, Galliani and co. feels that Emerson can't be done. So they went off and recalled Brocchi from loan, even though the Viola would have gladly bought him. Also the same with Ronaldo. Carlo probably made it clear he wanted him early on, but then Galliani decided that they were in no way gonna let Madrid f@ck around with Milan as regards price, so basically we went into our season with Pippo, Oli,Gila and Boriello. Carlo finally made something of a fuss, and Galliani realised he had a point, so we got R99 in the winter.

So basically that's how it works. He'll get players who can fit into the system, but it's not all in his hands. Sometimes he'll have to make-do.
KillerMax
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 9 2007, 11:30 AM)
Is that for real?

I don't even understand why Ancelotti is coach then, he may get a bunch of players he doesn't want, or doesn't feel fit into his plans. I thought he gave a list of names to whoever and they went out and got anybody off the list.

That's plain stupid, no wonder we're the worst team in Europea when it comes to transfers.  rolleyes.gif

All Italian teams work that way. wink.gif
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 9 2007, 08:30 PM)
I don't even understand why Ancelotti is coach then

Because Milan is the greatest club in the world!?? rolleyes.gif Because Milan is the only team that wouldn't sack their coach after the Istanbul fiasco and because he has the power to defy Berlusconi's (and Porty's) public calls for Milan to always play with two forwards and win the Champions League doing it... that's why! Remember Silvio was the man whose comments resulted in Zoff's humiliating resignation after his outcrying in the media that the former Italy coach is an idiot!

And it may look like we're the worst team when it comes to transfers but our results on the pitch say different... it looks so cause Milan do not hype up the players they get but they still prove how great they are and Milan do not buy players only if they are guaranteed jersey-sellers! Who did NOT laugh when we signed Favalli and who did not thank the board when it proved out we needed him? Who, apart from arivanjj, believed in Ronaldo and where would we be if he hadn't come to save our whole campaign?
kurtsimonw
What I meant by: 'Why is he coach' was that I heard he doesn't really get involved with training with the team, apparently he doesn't do transfers.

So all he does is tactics and picks the team? huh.gif
Portman
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 9 2007, 10:28 PM)
What I meant by: 'Why is he coach' was that I heard he doesn't really get involved with training with the team, apparently he doesn't do transfers.

So all he does is tactics and picks the team?  huh.gif

In Italy, Spain, France, Portugal... the word "manager" doesn't exist. In the EPL the coach has more power and control in the club - the manager.

In all the other big leagues, that doesn't happen.

Obviously the Milan staff and administration knows exactly what to do in the majority of the situations. That's why we're the best club in the world.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 9 2007, 10:37 PM)
In Italy, Spain, France, Portugal... the word "manager" doesn't exist. In the EPL the coach has more power and control in the club - the manager.

In all the other big leagues, that doesn't happen.

Obviously the Milan staff and administration knows exactly what to do in the majority of the situations. That's why we're the best club in the world.

Thanks for the info. I actually didn't know that.

Obviously what we do works, that's why we're one of the top 3 clubs in history.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 10 2007, 12:28 AM)

He doesn't get involved with training!?? unsure.gif

Where did you hear that?
kurtsimonw
Not sure, just heard it somewhere.

Stop picking on me, dst!

OHHHH, I get it, young kids pick on people who they have a crush on. wink.gif

I'm flattered, but NO! tongue.gif
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 10 2007, 02:42 AM)
Stop picking on me, dst!

Sorry 'bout that, didn't meant to!
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 9 2007, 02:50 PM)
Carletto was his coach at Giuve 9 years ago... that could be good... or bad.

Ancelotti once stated in an interview that his major disappointment was not in loosing in Istanbul, but not getting Henry to play (as he did at Arsenal). Since we know that he revived many player's careers and made them 2 time CL winners, players like Pirlo, Seedorf, and Cafu. I think Ancelotti knows exactly where (IF Henry ever does come..) to fit him in the team and get the most out of him, this time around wink.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 9 2007, 05:39 PM)
I meant taking Seedrofs role when we only play with 1 striker. I don't think Seedorf should be in the team in the 4-3-1-2. Rino, Ambro and Pirlo should be the 3, Kaka' the 1.

Ancelotti will push for Henry, he's promised us a World class player, and that would have to be a striker. R10, Eto'o, Drogba, Sheva are all not coming, Henry's the only one left, i think so anyways.

Henry has the kind of attitude where the fact that he was awful in Italy, he'll have to go and change that.

Seedorf brings stability to the midfield. I mean, Ambro and Gattuso are good at intercepting and know the team's movements very well, but they don't have the majestic ability of Seedorf. Seedorf is a key player for Milan, look at the United game, the Bayern game, the Athena final. And these are just a couple of games that he has surpassed greatness in wink.gif

Sure he has his negative side, he is slow when he loses motivation. But keep him motivated and you have got a solid and consistent midfielder that can move the ball up front with experience and precision.Seedorf is fundamental, especially in the 4-3-1-2.

Ambrosini is a key player for us too, as he gives us aerial coverage to intercept. Here, you would be playing a defensive game. Milan is an attacking team biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
@R7: It would give us balance attack/defense wise. But left to right? No. I think Janku is a better attacker than Oddo, so we'd have two attackers on the left, none of the right. I wonder where we're going to attack. rolleyes.gif

I do agree Seedorf is key. But in those games you mentioned, we played the 4-3-2-1. Which I think he fits into. tongue.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 10 2007, 04:33 AM)
@R7: It would give us balance attack/defense wise. But left to right? No. I think Janku is a better attacker than Oddo, so we'd have two attackers on the left, none of the right. I wonder where we're going to attack.  rolleyes.gif

I do agree Seedorf is key. But in those games you mentioned, we played the 4-3-2-1. Which I think he fits into.  tongue.gif

He fits into the 4-3-1-2 .. As he plays a duel role in the United, Bayern, and Athena games .. He would go back and close the left side of midfield then bring the play forward, a constant supply of balls, effectively distributed up front. Again, we are talking about Seedorf, he has a wealth of experience and was brought up in that Ajax team that once upon a time was all conquering.

I am not saying that the other systems wont work wink.gif You could bring Henry or/and R10, and change the whole formation to fit the type of game that Henry and R10 play. Carlo can sort it out to fit any formation of ur liking biggrin.gif But my point was, Seedorf by himself is a very valuable weapon for any team.
kurtsimonw
I was just looking back. How the hell did this go from Henry to Seedorf? huh.gif

Anyways, my reasoning for Henry joining us is the reason I believed he didn't leave Arsenal last season.

I was 100% certain that the Champions League Final vs Barcelona was his last game, but he was kicked all over the place and not 'treated' properly. If anybody saw his post-match interview he was distraught with the referee as he didn't get many free-kicks.

He also accused the Barca players of cheating, kicking him all over the place. Is Henry going to forget that in a year? No chance. We're the number 1 team in the World right now and Henry wants to leave and is flattered by Milan's interest. He's going to be in one of two plces by September 1st. North London or Milan.
Portman
Henry joining Barcelona. They already agreed the terms. Just miss the "OK" from Arsenal.

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2007..._153137Dev.html
France football usually is reliable. It's also everywhere.

Remember guys, my theory "1+1=2". We'll see who's correct in the end. cool.gif

PS: Many thanks Tennie.
han2503
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 11 2007, 04:50 PM)
Henry joining Barcelona. They already agreed the terms. Just miss the "OK" from Arsenal.

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2007..._153137Dev.html
France football usually is reliable. It's also everywhere.

Remember guys, my theory "1+1=2". We'll see who's correct in the end.  cool.gif

PS: Many thanks Tennie.

Henry going to Barca could only mean that Eto'o is the one to move imo
Warchant
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 11 2007, 12:00 PM)

or ronaldinho

or ronaldinho and etoo
Portman
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 11 2007, 06:00 PM)

"1+1=2." You'll join the group soon. wink.gif

Henry plays from the left to the center. He's not a center foward like Eto'o.

And Ronaldinho plays... ? From the left to the center.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Warchant @ Jun 11 2007, 08:05 PM)
or ronaldinho

or ronaldinho and etoo

or Jack Sparrow and Trezeguet biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.