Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gila "cannot guarantee" Milan stay
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
Portman
Gila "cannot guarantee" Milan stay 

Sunday 3 June, 2007 ::: channel4.com

Alberto Gilardino has told Milan he is sick of being treated as a flop and is looking at other alternatives. “I cannot guarantee I will stay.”

The striker moved from Parma for around £18m in 2005, but has struggled to live up to that price-tag and in two seasons has managed just two Champions League goals.

With Ronaldo no longer cup-tied, Filippo Inzaghi on fire, Kaka moved to a more advanced role and reports that Andriy Shevchenko will return after his spell at Chelsea, there is less and less room for Gila.

“The situation is simple. I am happy at Milan, but I cannot guarantee I will stay here,” he told the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport.’

“I have a long contract and an excellent rapport with the Rossoneri environment, but anything can happen in football and I am evaluating other options. I would not be honest if I denied that.

“For me the faith of the club and the Coach are indispensable. In the past I had that and would like for it to be there in the future.”

The decision to drop him in favour of Inzaghi – who scored a decisive brace – for the Champions League Final against Liverpool seems to have left its mark.

“I want to be able to play without all these doubts being raised on my first error or negative performance. At the age of 25 I want to play consistently and repay Milan for the investment they made in me.

“I thought I would play in Athens, I admit it. When I found out I was on the bench, I was disappointed,” he confessed.

“But I always put the team above all personal considerations and just tried to concentrate so I could do my best in the few minutes that Carlo Ancelotti granted me. Lifting the trophy put all that disappointment behind me.”

With constant rumours of new hitmen from Ronaldinho, Samuel Eto’o and Shevchenko coming to San Siro, will Gilardino ask to be sold if another forward arrives?

“I am not afraid of competition. I have always sought my space with great champions like Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Christian Vieri and Ronaldo. If the competition is fair and the player who is in the best shape goes on to the field, then I have no problems.”

This week there were claims in the newspapers that Gilardino had openly offered himself to Inter, but he and his agent denied these suggestions.

“That is absolutely not true,” the former Parma man told the ‘Gazzetta’. “I can pledge to the Milan fans, who I get along very well with, that I have not approached anyone, let alone Inter. A few supporters jeered me this season, but the majority are behind me. I want to repay them with many goals.”

Among those linked with a summer bid for Gilardino are the new Juventus and Barcelona, who are probably seeking a replacement for Eto’o.

“These are great clubs and I am pleased to hear of their interest, but Milan are the top club. It’s difficult to imagine walking out on them and they are my first choice. However, if I didn’t feel they had faith in me, then I would look elsewhere.”

When asked point blank if he felt he was always facing tests of his abilities and that there were doubts around him, the World Cup winner answered truthfully.

“Yes, I feel that I am in doubt and in all honesty I don’t know why. I think this is surreal and at times it seems like an incredible situation.”

In two seasons Gilardino has scored 29 Serie A goals for Milan and was their top scorer this term on 12 in 30 appearances.

He's italian, he's in the European Champs, and looking for other options? rolleyes.gif
dst
I like this guy... I just wish he could prove to us that he can still be as great as he was in Parma.
HasanHasanly
He was suprised that he was benched in Athens? WOULD YOU HAVE DONE BETTER THAN PiPPO?

This guy has to find himself until January, if he doesnt, then i am sorry, but 20m transfer for 3 mediocre seasons is just..
misha
Alberto Gilardino has told Milan he is sick of being treated as a flop and is looking at other alternatives. “I cannot guarantee I will stay.”

And we cannot guarantee we'll keep you cool.gif

Milan treated you like the flop? maybe the press. The club and the coach backed him up when he was playing bad (at least publicly) and this season was definitely a failure for him. He just need to shut up, work hard and prove that he's worth being a starter. Moaning tp the press ain't gonna help him.
Warchant
i think we should look at this in the fact that he's actually being HONEST. unlike other players who promise they will never leave.
KillerMax
QUOTE (mishale @ Jun 3 2007, 06:56 AM)
And we cannot guarantee we'll keep you cool.gif

Milan treated you like the flop? maybe the press. The club and the coach backed him up when he was playing bad (at least publicly) and this season was definitely a failure for him. He just need to shut up, work hard and prove that he's worth being a starter. Moaning tp the press ain't gonna help him.

Right on the money.
bigmacmtl
you reep what you sow. it's simple the only reason the press has been treating you like a flop because you have been a flop.
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Jun 3 2007, 05:19 PM)
you reep what you sow. it's simple the only reason the press has been treating you like a flop because you have been a flop.

Thats unfair, he hasnt totally failed, Olivera has been the bigger flop and Inzaghi wasnt consistent in Serie A
KillerMax
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 3 2007, 11:24 AM)
Thats unfair, he hasnt totally failed, Olivera has been the bigger flop and Inzaghi wasnt consistent in Serie A

That is true, but he has been a flop in Europe without a shadow of a doubt. And Milan really care about that competition. Plus, the club has always backed him. It's the journalists that write all the stuff. If he is upset at being benched in the final, then he is the one being unfair to Pippo and all Milan fans. We would have probably lost the game if it wasn't for Pippo.
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Jun 3 2007, 05:41 PM)
That is true, but he has been a flop in Europe without a shadow of a doubt. And Milan really care about that competition. Plus, the club has always backed him. It's the journalists that write all the stuff. If he is upset at being benched in the final, then he is the one being unfair to Pippo and all Milan fans. We would have probably lost the game if it wasn't for Pippo.

Gila is inexperienced in Europe but is getting better, as for the final issue, its possible that the result may have been different, but 100 of variables also could have affected that game
han2503
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Jun 3 2007, 05:55 PM)
Gila is inexperienced in Europe but is getting better, as for the final issue, its possible that the result may have been different, but 100 of variables also could have affected that game

For once I agree with Max on the Gila issue.

Gila has been a dissappointment for us in Europe (not going to say flop).

But as you said he is getting better, he's scored a couple in the CL, got a couple of important goals in the league and scored a couple against some of the best teams in the league (Inter, Roma, Fiorentina). Definately better than last season.

As for the CL, and the whole 'if Pippo was not there we wouldn't have won it' thing. I don't beleive that for a second, call me stupid but I personally believe that we were meant for this season's trophy. And I've felt this even before last season even ended.

If it wouldn't have been Pippo, someone else would have been our hero for the night. That's what I believe.

Gila, has had 2 OK seasons for us in Seire A, they haven't been amazing but they were both good seasons, his goal ratio wouldn't suggest that he has been a flop.

And imo this season is irrelevant, a season where we could seem to even BUY a goal at one point in time, every one of our strikers struggled not only Gila, but with all this he still ended up our top scorer in the league.

Gil is a smart enough person to know that he will have plenty of chances next season, whether a new name comes in or not, simply because we have a lot of games to play.

And I don't see what he said as b!tching or showing disrespect to the club, he most probably feels disappointed with himself more then anything else since everyone including himself knows that he can do twice better then he has done.

You might say why are you defending him, he hasn't given us even a single indication that he could show Milan his Parma form.

But I personally believe in him, and everytime I see him work hard for the shirt even if he can't seem to get into the game and do anything particularly useful but still working his socks off running around, I can't help but to continue to support aand believe in him.
Jack Sparrow
cry.gif

Aww han...What're u trying to do? Make Gila dump his girl and come after u or something??!!

Didn't know u were in dst's happy boys club!!!

Oh and what han said...exactly what he said!!!
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 3 2007, 06:26 PM)
cry.gif

Aww han...What're u trying to do? Make Gila dump his girl and come after u or something??!!

Didn't know u were in dst's happy boys club!!!

Noo... I wrote this to try and get in...
dst
I'm sorry you can't get in!
han2503
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 3 2007, 06:57 PM)
I'm sorry you can't get in!

cry.gif cry.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Warchant @ Jun 3 2007, 06:02 PM)
i think we should look at this in the fact that he's actually being HONEST. unlike other players who promise they will never leave.

Exactly king.gif

Plus, he hasn't lived up to expectation and Milan have more important targets next season, we need strikers we can depend on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.