Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Donadoni fears Nesta farewell
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
misha
Italy boss Roberto Donadoni has conceded that he fears Alessandro Nesta has played his last game for the Azzurri.

The Rossoneri stopper was omitted from Donadoni’s squad for the upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers with the Faroe Islands and Lithuania at his own request, a decision which smells like international retirement to the tactician.

“I think Nesta’s decision is final and will not be subject to change,” said Donadoni at Coverciano on Tuesday.

“I’m disappointed because he is still relatively young and could give so much more to this team, but I have spoken to him and he explained his motives.

“This is his position, but if you want to know more then you will have to ask him the questions rather than me.”

Nesta is the second Italian to snub an Azzurri call after Francesco Totti halted his international career following World Cup glory.

The striker has insisted that he won’t make a decision on a possible return until he’s fully fit again next season – despite ending this campaign as the Serie A top scorer with 26 goals.

“I don’t know what will happen after the plates in his ankle have been removed, but I think I did what I had to do with him over the last year,” added the former Livorno boss.

“When I was a footballer I would have never considered the idea of refusing an international call-up, but I was very lucky because I never had any serious injuries.

“In any case, I respect the players and they respect me.”

Donadoni will have to do without 10 of Germany’s world champions for the next Euro 2008 qualifiers.

“Some of them are not available, because injured, some others were not included in my squad for tactical reasons,” noted the former Milan winger.

“I am serene, the players are determined, some of whom have won important trophies and I think we can do well in our next two matches.

“One of the most motivated players is Filippo Inzaghi. All we have to do is fire the ball at him and he’ll score…”

Donadoni concluded by calling for next season to start on August 19, rather than the 26, so that his men would be in good shape for the crucial France game on September 8.

“I just hope that everyone will be fit for the match with France,” he added. “I see that the players are happy to wear this jersey and have the right spirit – this is important
mishie
Bad news for the Azzuri but good news for us!!
forza nesta!! smile.gif
misha
It could be very good for Milan. Nesta would have more time to rest and smaller chance for injuries.
Portman
QUOTE (mishale @ May 29 2007, 09:11 PM)
It could be very good for Milan. Nesta would have more time to rest and smaller chance for injuries.

Ditto. cool.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (mishale @ May 29 2007, 08:11 PM)

Training actually produces more injuries than an actual game, but I know what you mean. wink.gif
Rossoneri7
Great news
dst
Less chances to see Nesta play... I don't like this.

I don't really like the Azzurri anymore... when there's not a single defender I admire, what's there to like?

I guess I'll be supporting the Netherlands in the next Euro.
Tennie
In a couple of places in the Italian press and in the English-language UEFA site, it's stated that (despite Donadoni's fears he won't return) the reason Nesta asked for the time off for these games is because he's getting married. So he may not be retiring from the Azzurri after all.
misha
Galliani explains Nesta snub

Milan chief Adriano Galliani believes that Alessandro Nesta’s decision to quit international football is due to the intense fixture list.

The defender asked to be omitted from the Italy squad for June’s two Euro 2008 qualifiers and boss Roberto Donadoni yesterday admitted that the stopper may never return.

“I think these things happen all over the world,” said Rossoneri Vice-President Galliani. “You need to consider that the footballing calendar is very intense.

“However, no one can complain about Milan. We fielded seven Italian players out of 11 in the Champions League Final. You should point the finger at other clubs…”

Nesta had hinted last week that he might retire from international football in order to focus on his club duties, in an effort to prolong his career at the highest levels.

Meanwhile, Galliani was also questioned on UEFA chief Michel Platini’s proposal to abolish the G14, an organisation founded by some of Europe’s most prestigious clubs in 2000.

“We will meet with the other sides and come to a decision,” continued the official.

“Platini has taken some important forward steps compared to the past, especially with the introduction of a ‘strategic board’.

“But we only represent one of the 18 clubs in the G14 and we cannot decide alone.”
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.