Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beckham: I wanted Milan
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
arivanjj
David Beckham told the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport’ that the toughest decision of his career was turning down Milan to join LA Galaxy and explains why Antonio Cassano is “crazy.”

The Real Madrid man’s contract expires next month and in January he was free to negotiate with a number of clubs.

Milan announced they had been his number one option if Becks had decided to stay in Europe and the player admits that is true.

“It was not easy to say no to Milan, one of the best clubs in the world. The squad, the Coach, the President, the city and then Ronaldo went there too. It was a very tough choice,” said the England international who today received a surprise recall from Steve McClaren for the friendly against Brazil and Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia.

“I was honoured, flattered and tempted. But I had to think about my family and wanted a different challenge.

“I am well aware that football in the States cannot be compared to that in Europe, but I see it as a challenge. I am not just going there to play, I am an ambassador for a movement.

“I would have liked to play in Serie A. Italy is a country I love because it has everything – great football, great players, the best food in the world, wine, fashion, countryside. Last year I was in Portofino and have often gone to Tuscany. We even thought of getting a house there.”

Former Real teammate Ronaldo was celebrating the Champions League trophy in Athens and Beckham could have been there with him.

“It was a deserved success, especially considering everything they did during the season. The second leg against Manchester United was the perfect performance. Milan play great football, work hard, score fantastic goals and have extraordinary talents like Kaka.”

Liverpool felt they were unfortunate after losing the Final 2-1 on Wednesday, but Beckham does not see it that way.

“Liverpool know it too, Milan played better in Athens and they won. Filippo Inzaghi has scored extraordinary goals, important goals and fortunate goals. But you cannot talk about luck really in his case – he has been hitting the back of the net all his life and is to be admired.”

The race for the Ballon d’Or is Milan-heavy this year and captain Paolo Maldini is in the running.

“He deserves to challenge for it with Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo. Anyone who at the age of 39 is playing in a club like Milan and has the respect that Maldini commands deserves to win. But it will be difficult.”

Beckham is a teammate of current European and World Player of the Year Fabio Cannavaro and another Italian talent, Antonio Cassano, at Real.

“They are very different, both great lads. Cassano is crazy, but he’s also one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. He is always happy, ready to laugh and joke around, not to mention a real talent. I’d like him to play more.

“Cannavaro is one of the best defenders I have ever known. We got on well off the field as well, we’re good friends.”

The same cannot be said of Coach Fabio Capello, who often clashed with Beckham at the Bernabeu and froze him out after he signed for LA Galaxy.

“He is one of the greatest managers in the world. Whatever you may say about him, his career speaks for itself. He is a winner, someone who believes in his players and is on our side. These are qualities you could see despite the problems within the club.”

Channel4
m1ke
Glad he didn't come here, we really don't need him. But it's nice to see him speaking so highly of Milan.
arivanjj
QUOTE (m1ke @ May 26 2007, 10:43 PM)
Glad he didn't come here, we really don't need him. But it's nice to see him speaking so highly of Milan.

i agree with you.. he's not what he need, though i respect him alot.
whoarethepatriots
I cant say i wanted for him skills on the pitch, but can you image the kind of revenue he would bring in, Merchandising, shirt sales, and a percentage of image rights?

Its one of the reasons i want Ronaldinho, due to extra revenue he will bring in, When Ronaldo arrived his shirt was sold out extremely quickly
misha
We dodged the bullet smile.gif
agenth
I'm in awe, if thats what becks really said...

He's off my hate list, xDD
kurtsimonw
When players like him are paying tribute to Milan, it shows just how highly we are rated in the footballing world. king.gif

P.S. Great sig arivanjj!
Warchant
i think he'll do much more for the sport over here in the states. he will bring kids to the stadiums to watch him play and hopefully spark an interest in our younger generation
Portman
Galliani confirmed 2-3 months ago that were were interested in Beckham but he preferred LA Galaxy. I think it was the best decision for him.

He and his family were made for LA.
Milan Are Brilliant
Still the most well known footballer in the game, so good to see he speaks highly of us as most well respected footballers do, unlike Dirk Kuyt what a sad loser!!!
milanista1899
QUOTE (Porty @ May 26 2007, 04:51 PM)
Galliani confirmed 2-3 months ago that were were interested in Beckham but he preferred LA Galaxy. I think it was the best decision for him.

He and his family were made for LA.

No doubt wink.gif We should have got him instead of Real or even before that sad.gif . He said regrets going there sad.gif . I remember a lot of talk years ago when Silvio wanted him, he even offered him a house & Posh her own TV show (on Mediaset) He speaks so highly of Milan now but he has always admired them as a team & Milan as a city - it would have been made for them @ that time rolleyes.gif We really needed a RW & he was the best in the world then, but sadly not to be! sad.gif
Rossoneri7
Nahh .. I think it was better that Beckham agreed to go to the States. He is a an exceptional player; his qualities are unique. But the US market is the best one for him. His merchandising in the US would reach a record high figures for him wink.gif

And with his new pay deal in the US. I doubt Berlusconi would give him such a contract rolleyes.gif
milanista1899
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 26 2007, 06:05 PM)
Nahh .. I think it was better that Beckham agreed to go to the States. He is a an exceptional player; his qualities are unique. But the US market is the best one for him. His merchandising in the US would reach a record high figures for him wink.gif

And with his new pay deal in the US. I doubt Berlusconi would give him such a contract rolleyes.gif

You misread my post! rolleyes.gif I agreed with Porty when he said he should go to LA - NOW! I was talking about him coming here years ago! wink.gif I wouldn't want him here now! ohmy.gif laugh.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (milanista1899 @ May 26 2007, 08:23 PM)
You misread my post!  rolleyes.gif I agreed with Porty when he said he should go to LA - NOW! I was talking about him coming here years ago! wink.gif  I wouldn't want him here now!  ohmy.gif  laugh.gif

Hehehe I wasnt refering to u tongue.gif

I was talking in general .. That financially, it is better for him to go to the US.

But (just read ur post tongue.gif ) .. I wouldn't have wanted Beckham back then. We had a super team .. Nesta, Shevchenko, Seedorf, Gattuso .. These were amongst the signings around the time he transfered to Madrid. I was too excited about Shevchenko to think of anyone else .. devilsmiley.gif

But overall, he is an exceptional player, but I just have this thing about English players - though I like the EPL - English players in particular think of themselves as better than the rest. Kind of biased (i know, no offense), but that is just how I see it. Plus I would rather have 1 Shevchenko than 10 Beckhams on my team cool.gif
MizNelson
Well, I'm glad we didn't take the bait. Besides his being in the twilight of his career (i.e. not fit for European ball anymore), the addition of Becks would've instantly made us A.C. Hollywood.

Sadly, Becks continues to be the Michael Jackson of football to us Yanks. But there are a small cadre of us out here (including myself) who go against the grain and know better. And they're not walking around in Barcelona jerseys either. smile.gif
milanista1899
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 26 2007, 07:01 PM)
Hehehe I wasnt refering to u  tongue.gif

I was talking in general .. That financially, it is better for him to go to the US.

But (just read ur post tongue.gif ) .. I wouldn't have wanted Beckham back then. We had a super team .. Nesta, Shevchenko, Seedorf, Gattuso .. These were amongst the signings around the time he transfered to Madrid. I was too excited about Shevchenko to think of anyone else ..  devilsmiley.gif

But overall, he is an exceptional player, but I just have this thing about English players - though I like the EPL - English players in particular think of themselves as better than the rest. Kind of biased (i know, no offense), but that is just how I see it. Plus I would rather have 1 Shevchenko than 10 Beckhams on my team

Oh sorry mate blush.gif looks like I'm the one that got the wrong end of the stick - for once! wink.gif - How ironic! laugh.gif

Ok, fair enough wink.gif

I've never noticed that huh.gif (none taken) You sure? even when he was the best RW in the world @ Man U? (It was @ that time Silvio wanted him - me too - anyone else? unsure.gif )

I wouldn't want 10 of Becks as he is now, even if he's still a good player (IMO Real wrecked his career instead of making him a world "Galactico") sad.gif
kurtsimonw
They did ruin him.

But every goal Madrid have scored the past month or so, you can bet your money Becks was involved, he's on real form right now. wink.gif
han2503
Becks again with 2 assists, tonight most notably the perfect cross for the 2-1.

He's just on fire at the moment and if Madrid win this thing it would be mainly down to him.

Cappello must feel like he wants to stuff his foot in his mouth after what he said about him in the winter. Now he's literally helping to carry that team to the title
Milan Are Brilliant
Good to see him recalled before he was in it because he was Beckham now he's the most in-form Englishman, fair play to him.
KillerMax
I have always respected him, but most of you here bashed him until now that he said how much respect he has for us. rolleyes.gif

It actually used to be one of my wishes to see Beckham wearing a number 7 Milan shirt and scoring one of his famous free kicks. Too bad that will never happen.
kurtsimonw
Becks was, is, and always will be King of England.

I even had it in myself to like him during his United days, thankfully that's over. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.