Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FIGC thanks triumphant Milan
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
Portman
FIGC thanks triumphant Milan 

Thursday 24 May, 2007 ::: channel4.com

The Italian Football Federation has thanked Milan for winning the Champions League Final in Athens.

The Rossoneri claimed their seventh victory in the prestigious European competition, ending an amazing year for Italian football after the World Cup win, despite last summer’s Calciopoli scandal.

“Thanks goes to Coach Carlo Ancelotti, captain Paolo Maldini and all the other protagonists, six of whom were part of the World Cup team,” read the note on the FIGC’s official website.

“Thanks to Milan, Italian football conquers another European throne. After the World Cup win by the Azzurri coached by Marcello Lippi, Milan have given Italy another prestigious trophy."

Massimo Oddo, Alessandro Nesta, Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Alberto Gilardino and Filippo Inzaghi were the Azzurri players to achieve that incredible double, and Inzaghi was singled out for special praise.

“He is a timeless scorer and was the man behind two goals that 'knocked out' Liverpool in the Champions League Final played in Athens,” continued the statement.

“This win confirms the quality of Italian football and is a significant and prestigious way of closing what has been a difficult year for Milan.”

FIGC President Giancarlo Abete was at the Olympic Stadium for Wednesday’s game and was excited to the see the Rossoneri make up for the 2005 defeat.

“On behalf of all Italian football I would like to express my appreciation and give my sincere congratulations to the team, the Coaches and the entire staff, but above all to the players on the field.

“When the Milan squad walked in front of us to receive the award I was especially pleased to see some familiar faces,” said the Federation chief

“They all deserve this, from captain Maldini – one of the symbols of world football – to the players with whom I shared the joy of winning the World Cup in Germany,” concluded Abete.
kurtsimonw
Massimo Oddo, Alessandro Nesta, Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Alberto Gilardino and Filippo Inzaghi were the Azzurri players to achieve that incredible double, and Inzaghi was singled out for special praise.

What a real special year. To have so many European and World champions as Milan players is awesome. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.