Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carragher hails 'A World Great'
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
kurtsimonw
Liverpool FC defender Jamie Carragher could not hide his disappointment as he discussed his team's defeat by AC Milan in the UEFA Champions League final though he magnanimously proclaimed AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini "one of the best players of his era".

Maldini praise
The Liverpudlian heartbeat of Rafael Benítez's cosmopolitan side, Carragher told uefa.com: "It is outstanding what he has achieved at this level at his age. He is a world great, one of the best of his era. He has won the whole lot in his career, with five European [Champion Clubs'] Cups now. He will be remembered for a long time." Asked for his reaction to the 2-1 loss in Athens, Carragher was typically forthright: "I'm devastated, to be honest. We were in the same position as they are two years ago and it hurts. But I have great respect for Milan and they are a great side."

Even game
The England international also took responsibility for Filippo Inzaghi's opening goal, and would not agree that Milan had the luck on the night. The 29-year-old said: "I wouldn't say they were lucky. For the first goal, I should have cleared it better. I put Xabi [Alonso] under pressure and he fouled Kaká and they scored. There wasn't much in the game overall. It was pretty even in the first half, but to give away a goal just before half-time was a killer blow. We had a good chance in the second half with Stevie [Gerrard], but it wasn't to be."

Pennant pain
Winger Jermaine Pennant also pinpointed the breakthrough goal as the crucial moment. He said: "We deserved more than we got. The first goal was cruel, a deflection right on the stroke of half-time. It was a killer. But we came back and Steven Gerrard had a chance and it might have been 1-1, but they were always going to be dangerous on the break." Asked what he had learned from his first term of UEFA Champions League football, the 24-year-old told uefa.com: "You have to take your chances in this game, especially against great teams. If you don't, they will score and then it's game over. We maybe lacked a killer instinct. If we had that, maybe there would have been a different story."

UEFA

Carragher's a classy guy, he for some reason believes he lost them the game for the poor clearance for the first goal and playing Pippo onside for the second.

Neither were all his fault, in my opinion anyways.
Portman
Carra is class.
Jack Sparrow
Believe it or not...after the way they played yesterday...Liverpool are close to becoming my favourite English club. Of course Newcastle are still first...

Not only did they with their decidedly inferior quality forwards and defence and even their mid-field pose us problems, and in some cases even outplay us, almost all of them(except Pepe Reina) were very very gracious in defeat.

If it had been Chelsea or ManU at the receiving end of that first half Pippo goal, it would have been bloody murder, with Milan bribing European refs and all that.

Well with 5 titles won themselves, I guess your heritage means ur not posers(unlike some others), but wrthy of being champions. In modern day football, humility and pride are rarely well balanced.

But what a manager Rafa is. He did almost everything right, till he took off Mascherano. Until then I had my heart in my mouth. He should have taken Xabi off and switched to the pyramid formation or something.

As much as I hate to say this....if Rafa and Carletto are given the same team, then Rafa might just come out on tops. And next season will be vrey interesting. I'm expecting Milan and Liverpool both to spend similar amounts on the market. In the range of 100 million devil.gif
kurtsimonw
^^

Liverpool are one of the Worlds great club, unfortunately their fans are some of the worst. Fighting with each other over tickets, breaking into the stadium without a ticket. They're a real disgrace to football.
Locke Lamora
I always liked Carragher.
Gives everything in every match.
han2503
Carra is class.

He was the firt to admit defeat and he was the most gracious about it.

And him hailing Maldini in such a manner is the classiest thing a player that was on the losing end could do.

Better then that Kuyt, all he has done is moan about that we where lucky with the first goal, but fails to mention that his goal was from a clear offside position rolleyes.gif
fresh_prince7
Out of curiosity.. cause the ball came off maldini.. doesn't the mean technically he was on side..

Although the linesman would have not known that and guess should have flagged him.

BUT... WHO BLOODY CARES...

WERE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE! BRINGS A TEAR TO MY EYE JUST SAYING THAT!
kurtsimonw
^^ I'm not sure what the European ruling is, but in the EPL it's still offside. As you're still gaining an advantage from the first header (off your own player) even though it's touched by an opponent after that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.