Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riise: Milan can't handle raucous Reds
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 06/07
Warchant
John Arne Riise believes Liverpool are AC Milan's worst nightmare because the Italians hate playing against physical sides.

And the Norwegian full-back believes the Reds will never allow Carlo Ancelotti's side the freedom to attack they had in the Champions League semi-final against Manchester United.

Riise prepares for his second final showdown with Milan next Wednesday in Athens convinced Liverpool can repeat their success of 2005.

Riise and his colleagues are increasingly aware that Milan believe them to be inferior to Manchester United, who the Italians eliminated in the semi-finals.

Ancelotti claims Liverpool are the poorest of the four semi-finalists and even United chief Sir Alex Ferguson believes Liverpool have no hope of success.

But Riise said: "We don't really care what people say, we deserve to be in the final. And we know Milan don't like playing against teams like us."

He added: "I heard some things earlier that they think they are the more tactical and we are the more physical side. But we can play football too.

"And they know we are strong and physical and we will use that to our advantage. They hate playing against those sort of teams.

"They looked like they struggled against the physical aspect when they played Bayern Munich earlier in the competition, even though they got through. But it is not something they enjoy facing.

"And we will play our own style of football that has been successful for us, we know that some teams hate to play against us because we play a physical compact type of game. We don't listen to other people because we know what we can do."

And Riise made it clear that Liverpool believe they can blunt the Milan style that caused Manchester United so much trouble in their calamitous second-leg mauling in Milan.

He said: "When they played against United their full-backs were almost like strikers or wingers. That is because United made room for them and gave them space.

"The way we play is quite compact and it will be hard work for their full-backs and wingers to get through.

"If they still attack us that way we will find space to hurt them. We have got the next few days to find their weaknesses and exploit them."

And Riise has faith in boss Rafael Benitez to produce the game plan to win Liverpool's second Champions League crown in three seasons.

"When he picks his team, and he knows who he wants to play, he will talk to every player to say what he expects from them and what the opposition player is going to do.

"Our manager is a tactical genius and he knows how to get his players ready."

But Riise accepts that this final must not start the way the Istanbul match did, when Liverpool were 3-0 down at the break. He said: "We cannot afford a three goal head start this time.

"It was called a miracle because of the comeback, but it can't happen again. This time we will approach the game perfectly and hopefully get a good start."

And Riise recalls Benitez's calmness in the face of that dreadful deficit in 2005. He said: "When you are losing 3-0 at half-time in a game like that you expect to get shouted at by the manager. All our heads were down.

"But the manager was very quiet and calm and explained what we were going to do. He wanted us to lift our heads, which we did. He said if we got a goal anything can happen. That is what we did and in the end, everything turned out okay.

"Once Steven Gerrard scored with the header, you could see the change in the faces of the players. We all seemed to get extra energy and the fans were lifted as well. We knew we had a chance. We just had to keep going."
Warchant
what they failed to include in the article was the fact that Riise was on CRACK when he did this interview

idiot
misha
He is a good player. Hope to see him cry on Wednesday
dst
Damn, he talks too much!

We can play football too

Oh really, then why don't you? rolleyes.gif

Don't worry, we're going to enjoy the final, I don't know if YOU will...

I hate this war of words!
Rossoneri7
"We don't really care what people say, we deserve to be in the final. And we know Milan don't like playing against teams like us."

No ? huh.gif They don't ?! U must be confused .. Look this is a Champions League Final .. It is Paolo's going away present. Do u know where u are blondy ?!

"I heard some things earlier that they think they are the more tactical and we are the more physical side. But we can play football too.

Yeah okay .. Try playing football with Gattuso breathing down ur neck rolleyes.gif

"If they still attack us that way we will find space to hurt them. We have got the next few days to find their weaknesses and exploit them."

erm ... That is bait u dumb @ss, u shouldn't go for the bait, unless u want to see Kaka breaking away in another counter attack .. Maybe try and pile up more than 2 players this time cool.gif
Portman
Well, it's true we struggled against physical teams. Inter is the best example you find. Manchester United was without Rio and Vidic (wasn't 100%) so I don't count on that match.
dst
Inter also have great technique... it's not just muscles! And it was in a different time, in a different place.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Porty @ May 18 2007, 12:47 AM)
Well, it's true we struggled against physical teams. Inter is the best example you find. Manchester United was without Rio and Vidic (wasn't 100%) so I don't count on that match.

Vidic and Rio aren't exactly Nesta and Maldini, not even Costacurta and Maldini wink.gif

Inter ?? Milan didn't have a reason to beat them, no matter what Milan did, Milan knew the result wont deprive Inter of 1st place. The first derby we made a come back. The second, we held on pretty well. But those two games were without a cause, Milan were in trouble in those days. U cant compare, we edged Celtic and the first game against Bayern. But from that point on Milan grew stronger and stronger. ehm we are almost undefeated for this part of the season. And Milan is getting better as time passes by.

The team does struggle against team like PSV, Arsenal, etc because they arent prestigious teams. Bring on Barca or United and Milan will lock horns ! Now imagine it was against Liverpool ? A team which hurt Milan so badly !

This final is guarenteed a revenge. Riise can say whatever he wants, he knows that Milan took the whole football pitch and poured like a mansoon on them ! That was back in 05. Now Milan will give Liverpool a lesson along with Benitez; a lesson like - Milan 4-0 Dream team Barca -- Milan 5-0 Giants Madrid -- Milan 3-0 On form United - This is Milan's destiny. Not Riises'.
Portman
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 17 2007, 11:01 PM)
This final is guarenteed a revenge. Riise can say whatever he wants, he knows that Milan took the whole football pitch and poured like a mansoon on them ! That was back in 05. Now Milan will give Liverpool a lesson along with Benitez; a lesson like - Milan 4-0 Dream team Barca -- Milan 5-0 Giants Madrid -- Milan 3-0 On form United - This is Milan's destiny. Not Riises'.

Do not be so confident. Do not underestimate them. They beat Barcelona and Chelsea. I KNOW Barcelona is having a sh!t season and Chelsea had 3282344320 injuries but still... they managed to do it.

Plus they've an impressive record in the finals. Only lost 1... Heysel Park. rolleyes.gif
And do not forget there will be much more Reds than Rossoneri in Athens... and that influence, specially for a team like them that is almost unbeatable at playing "at home".
dst
Actually there won't be much more Liverfool fans in Athens, just about 2-3K.

Madrid had an even better record on finals before they lost one. History does NOT play football, not between such prestigious sides, none of the two finalists is any random team.

Anyway, I just hope and believe on the best. 1-0 or 4-0 won't make much of a difference to me I just want us to win!! devil.gif smile.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Porty @ May 18 2007, 01:06 AM)
Do not be so confident. Do not underestimate them. They beat Barcelona and Chelsea. I KNOW Barcelona is having a sh!t season and Chelsea had 3282344320 injuries but still... they managed to do it.

Plus they've an impressive record in the finals. Only lost 1... Heysel Park.  rolleyes.gif
And do not forget there will be much more Reds than Rossoneri in Athens... and that influence, specially for a team like them that is almost unbeatable at playing "at home".

No, I already said to han on a previous post that I don't care who they played and How they play.

Milan kick Bayern Munich in the @ss after Bayern made a mokery of Milan at the San Siro! And you know damn well how Seedorf and Inzaghi reacted to that.

Milan took United on when they saw a chance for a rematch with Liverpool, and Brushed them aside devilsmiley.gif

This is my Milan I am talking about !

This is The Milan that no one wants to face right now. Or did you forget how Fergeson reacted after we destroyed United 3-0 ? cool.gif

Milan are out for revenge, that simple.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 17 2007, 05:09 PM)
No, I already said to han on a previous post that I don't care who they played and How they play.

Milan kick Bayern Munich in the @ss after Bayern made a mokery of Milan at the San Siro! And you know damn well how Seedorf and Inzaghi reacted to that.

Milan took United on when they saw a chance for a rematch with Liverpool, and Brushed them aside devilsmiley.gif

This is my Milan I am talking about !

This is The Milan that no one wants to face right now. Or did you forget how Fergeson reacted after we destroyed United 3-0 ?  cool.gif

Milan are out for revenge, that simple.

You are getting a bit cocky. Even though i agree with you, its better not to overestimate them. They are the best defensive team in the world and in my opinion the best in set pieces too. Recently goal.com rated carragher as the best CB, so he should definitely not be underestimated. Riise is getting a bit too overconfident saying they will hurt us if we find space. I highly doubt that he can keep up with our pace, and our technicalities. Sure if he wants his whole team to stand in front of the net, we'll just shoot from the outside.
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ May 17 2007, 08:43 PM)
You are getting a bit cocky.  Even though i agree with you, its better not to overestimate them.  They are the best defensive team in the world and in my opinion the best in set pieces too.  Recently goal.com rated carragher as the best CB, so he should definitely not be underestimated.  Riise is getting a bit too overconfident saying they will hurt us if we find space.  I highly doubt that he can keep up with our pace, and our technicalities.  Sure if he wants his whole team to stand in front of the net, we'll just shoot from the outside.

i had a great laugh when i saw that, the writer was obviously a scouser. caragher is a great defender, surely in the top 10 but not the no.1 defender. like come on he isnt even a starter for england (rio and terry are ahead of him, and woodgate isnt too far behind)
kurtsimonw
I don't understand him at all. All Scottish and German teams do is play physically, and we've knocked a side from each of those countries out so far.

Then we beat the skill and class of Man United.

Riise obviously hasn't seen the away Gattuso and Ambro play, compared to them, everyone plays soft.
han2503
QUOTE (Porty @ May 17 2007, 09:47 PM)

Well Inter had Ibra and Crespo/Cruz When we played them during a TERRIBLE time in our season.

Pool have Kuyt and Crouch.

Now you spot the difference. rolleyes.gif

The difference in class between those 2 forward pairing is huge. And I am 100% sure you agree with me on this, since I am complimenting Ibra wink.gif

As for R7. Confidence is good to have, over confidence however is not. We do not have a devine right to this trophy because of what ahppened the last time. Liverpool have as much a chance to win as us. Revenge or no revenge. All it takes to win a match like this is a simple slip up and the trophy is gone.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 18 2007, 02:19 PM)
Well Inter had Ibra and Crespo/Cruz When we played them during a TERRIBLE As for R7. Confidence is good to have, over confidence however is not. We do not have a devine right to this trophy because of what ahppened the last time. Liverpool have as much a chance to win as us. Revenge or no revenge. All it takes to win a match like this is a simple slip up and the trophy is gone.

All I know is I'm gonna be yelling my lungs out on that day !!!
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 18 2007, 11:57 AM)
All I know is I'm gonna be yelling my lungs out on that day !!!

You and me both
KillerMax
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 18 2007, 07:53 AM)
You and me both

Horseback riding on a beach?
Portman
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ May 18 2007, 02:43 AM)
You are getting a bit cocky.  Even though i agree with you, its better not to overestimate them.  They are the best defensive team in the world and in my opinion the best in set pieces too.  Recently goal.com rated carragher as the best CB, so he should definitely not be underestimated.  Riise is getting a bit too overconfident saying they will hurt us if we find space.  I highly doubt that he can keep up with our pace, and our technicalities.  Sure if he wants his whole team to stand in front of the net, we'll just shoot from the outside.

They're the best defensive side in EPL, IMO but in the world? Well, maybe.

Carragher the best CB? That article was written by a Liverpool fan. He's in the top 10 for sure but the #1? rolleyes.gif
han2503
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ May 18 2007, 04:30 PM)
Horseback riding on a beach?

goodheart.gif happy.gif
mishie
this is a C.L final so obviously it isn't going to be a easy game. but i really don't think that man for man liverpool are any where near our quality but as this is a team game you just can't tell.
our motivation is revenge and theirs is to prove that 2005 wasn't a fluke so 2 motivated teams in the biggest club game in europe to close to call!! sad.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Porty @ May 18 2007, 04:36 PM)
They're the best defensive side in EPL, IMO but in the world? Well, maybe.

Carragher the best CB? That article was written by a Liverpool fan. He's in the top 10 for sure but the #1?  rolleyes.gif

Nah, even if have to asdmit, he's possibly Englands number 1 (Close between him and JT) But definetly not #1 in the world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.