Full Version: 17/02/07 - Serie A - Siena v Milan
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 06/07
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
m1ke
Serie A 2006/2007 - Day 24

Siena v Milan

Saturday, 17th of February 2007

Time: 14:00 (UK), 15:00 (IT)

Final game before our CL tie with Celtic, and it's the first time this season we can move into a CL spot if the results go our way.

I think Gourcuff has to start, but it'll be interesting to see what Carlo does up front. It would make sense to start Ronaldo since he's cup tied, but I don't think he's fit enough to last 90 minutes...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (m1ke @ Feb 12 2007, 02:56 AM)
Final game before our CL tie with Celtic, and it's the first time this season we can move into a CL spot if the results go our way.

I think Gourcuff has to start, but it'll be interesting to see what Carlo does up front. It would make sense to start Ronaldo since he's cup tied, but I don't think he's fit enough to last 90 minutes...

Well he has been training and played against Livorno .. I'm sure he's fit enough.

But yeah it will be interesting to see how we do b4 Celtic
arivanjj
i hope Ronaldo starts this match.. can't wait...!!!
KillerMax
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 11 2007, 06:46 PM)
I'm sure he's fit enough.

He is definitely not! If you paid attention against Livorno, he started limping only 15 minutes after coming on... He needs a lot of work. As Ancelotti said, everything is there, but he needs to get his fitness back.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Feb 12 2007, 07:30 PM)
He is definitely not! If you paid attention against Livorno, he started limping only 15 minutes after coming on... He needs a lot of work. As Ancelotti said, everything is there, but he needs to get his fitness back.

What I ment was he's fit enough to play against Siena .. Off course he was limping, he didnt play for more than a month ! In anycase, he probably just needs to gain some fitness on the pitch cuz he seems 80% ready
novfan
Predictions?
Milan win 3-0
Ronaldo (2); Kaka (1).
Portman
Damn, playing on a Saturday at 14:00 GMT? We're doin' an EPL? rolleyes.gif

Give Ronaldo the 90' as he won't play against Celtic. I wish Gourcuff was on the first 11 too.

Anyway. 0-1.
arivanjj
QUOTE (novfan @ Feb 13 2007, 05:46 AM)
Predictions?
Milan win 3-0
Ronaldo (2); Kaka (1).

devilsmiley.gif i'm with ya!!
dst
I hope it will be easier than usual... and I actually believe it will!

Let's see Gourcuff feature at last! sleep.gif
misha
We should continue our good form. 0:2 smile.gif
Rossoneri7
Milan should win .. Though Siena could be tricky .. I wouls say a 2-1 for us, hopefully R9 and Kaka score
milanista1899
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 12 2007, 11:40 PM)
I hope it will be easier than usual... and I actually believe it will!

Let's see Gourcuff feature at last! sleep.gif

I think so too, Chiesa & Frick are out! biggrin.gif

Amen to that! wink.gif
jefri91
I cant wait until the Celtic game... ITS GOING TO BE NUTS
GULLIVER
well Roni has 4 more days to prepare for the game. He should start and work hard.
arivanjj
Siena - Milan -- Football Italia preview

Milan arrive at the Stadio Artemio Franchi just two points shy of a Champions League spot and determined to maintain their momentum against stubborn Siena, who held them to a stalemate earlier in the season.

Despite the usual pre-season anxiety, Siena are comfortable in mid-table and could save their Serie A status with finger-nails intact if they can remain hard to beat. What the Robur lack in flair they more than make up for in grit and determination and they seem to relish the chance to make life difficult for more illustrious opposition.

Goalkeeper Alex Manninger was the hero in Week 5 as the Bianconeri held Milan to a stalemate at the San Siro and Siena fans don’t have to think back too far to remember their last triumph over the Rossoneri – a 2-1 win at the Artemio Franchi in April 2005. The Tuscan minnows showed great resolve in last weekend’s 2-2 draw with Cagliari, finding a late equaliser having seen a 1-0 lead reversed. However, Milan-born tactician Mario Beretta will need his side to dig even deeper if they are to deny Milan maximum points this time around.

After a stumbling start to the campaign, Milan have hit lethal form. Week 23’s 2-1 win over Livorno extended the Diavoli’s unbeaten run to 11 games, dating back to November’s reverse against Roma. The pre-season objective of a Champions League place is back on the cards and the arrival of Ronaldo has given the front line a much-needed jolt – the inconsistent Alberto Gilardino and Ricardo Oliveira now know that they must perform.

Another man who needs to find form is Andrea Pirlo. While everyone knows what the Azzurri star is capable of, it has been a while since he demonstrated it on the Serie A stage. Maybe Gennaro Gattuso’s virtuoso performance last weekend will remind him what is expected.

Beretta must continue to manage without young Ivorian midfielder Abdoulay Konko who is a week short of recovery from a left knee tendon injury, but has ex-Milan forward Tomas Locatelli at his disposal again after he completed his suspension. Enrico Chiesa is out with a flu bug but Mario Frick should be fit despite midweek dental surgery.

Carlo Ancelotti’s injury list remains a weighty tome. Serginho, Alessandro Nesta, Cristian Brocchi and Giuseppe Favalli are all sidelined as are ‘keepers Dida and Zeljko Kalac giving Marco Storari a second start. Oliveira, Gilardino, Pippo Inzaghi and Ronaldo are set to compete for two places up front.

Man on fire: Marek Jankulovski (Milan) – He may not be a regular hero at the San Siro, but the Czech international is relishing regular first-team football and secured the points for the Diavoli with a stunning long-range strike last weekend.

Last season: Siena 0-3 Milan

Form guide: Siena (D D W L D) Milan (W W D W W)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siena (probable): Manninger; Bertotto, Portanova, Rinaudo, Molinaro; Antonini, Codrea, Vergassola; Cozza, Corvia, Maccarone

Milan (probable): Storari; Oddo, Bonera, Maldini, Jankulovski; Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka’; Gilardino, Oliveira

Channel4
X-Offender
I heard Carlo might start the brazilian trio for this match: Kakà-Ronaldo-Oliveira.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 14 2007, 02:53 PM)
I heard Carlo might start the brazilian trio for this match: Kakà-Ronaldo-Oliveira.

I personally think that that would be an amazing combo.

The speed of Kaka and Oli and the finishing of R9 would be lethal.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Feb 14 2007, 07:01 PM)
I personally think that that would be an amazing combo.

The speed of Kaka and Oli and the finishing of R9 would be lethal.

devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 15 2007, 01:53 AM)

i would really like to see that... see how it turns out, with gourcuff behind them sleep.gif
han2503
Ronaldo set for start

New signing Ronaldo is set to make his first start in a Rossoneri shirt since his January move from Real Madrid this weekend, when Milan take on Siena in Tuscany on Saturday.

The former World Player of the Year swapped La Liga for Serie A during the last transfer window and has made just one appearance, from the bench against Livorno, for Carlo Ancelotti's side since.

But the Stadio Artemio Franchi is set to witness Ronaldo's first start for Milan in Saturday's clash with Siena after the Brazilian proved his fitness in training.

"Ronaldo has completed his training programme and it is probable he will play from the beginning against Siena," Ancelotti said.

"He is giving a great deal at the moment, is very motivated and he is making himself available."

Eurosport.com
X-Offender
My bet for Saturday's starting line up:

Storari
Cafu Bonera Kaladze Jankulovski
Gattuso Pirlo Brocchi
Kakà
Oliveira Ronaldo
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 15 2007, 08:21 PM)
My bet for Saturday's starting line up:

Storari
Cafu Bonera Kaladze Jankulovski
Gattuso Pirlo Brocchi
Kakà
Oliveira Ronaldo

I don't want to see 2 defensive mids together, if not Seedorf then gove Yoann time on the pitch, if Carlo doesn't think he is ready then just let Seedorf play.

2 defensive mids at the same time have proven over and over again that they won't work for us
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Feb 15 2007, 09:50 PM)
I don't want to see 2 defensive mids together, if not Seedorf then gove Yoann time on the pitch, if Carlo doesn't think he is ready then just let Seedorf play.

2 defensive mids at the same time have proven over and over again that they won't work for us

Yep, but go and tell that to Carlo. He loves playing Brocchi and Gattuso together, and I don't know why. Putting Gourcuff instead of one of them would prove much more useful.
KillerMax
Umm, why Cafu?
dst
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Feb 15 2007, 11:34 PM)
Umm, why Cafu?

Yep, unless Oddo is dead he should play even with both his legs injured!

NO more Cafu!!
misha
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 15 2007, 11:45 PM)
Yep, unless Oddo is dead he should play even with both his legs injured!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 16 2007, 12:26 AM)
Yep, but go and tell that to Carlo. He loves playing Brocchi and Gattuso together, and I don't know why. Putting Gourcuff instead of one of them would prove much more useful.

Getting them aquainted with each other, so when they meet Ronaldinho or Shevchenko .. Will isolate them from the match unsure.gif
dst
Carlo likes Gattuso and Silvio likes Brocchi... rolleyes.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 16 2007, 01:07 AM)
Carlo likes Gattuso and Silvio likes Brocchi...  rolleyes.gif

puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 16 2007, 03:07 AM)
Carlo likes Gattuso and Silvio likes Brocchi...  rolleyes.gif

Ok that is a bit gay rolleyes.gif ... tongue.gif
KillerMax
Hold on a sec here...

Gattuso is a starter AND THAT'S THAT!

Brocchi is a great player and has done very well so far.

Now that I have cleared that up, I do have to agree and say that the pair mustn't be played together. However, I think they can sometimes prove very effective.
han2503
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Feb 16 2007, 03:59 AM)
Hold on a sec here...

Gattuso is a starter AND THAT'S THAT!

Brocchi is a great player and has done very well so far.

Now that I have cleared that up, I do have to agree and say that the pair mustn't be played together. However, I think they can sometimes prove very effective.

The only time they actually worked was against Fiorentina, and we still conceeded twice.

The other times was just plain bad to look at.

The midfield should always contain ONE ball winner (Rino/Brocchi/Ambro) and t playmakers (Pirlo-Seedorf/Yoann) When we don't use this system we just look congested
Portman

As Silvio wishes! cool.gif
han2503
SIENA-MILAN: SQUAD LIST
2/16/2007
Here is the official squad - GOALKEEPERS: Fiori, Kalac, Storari. DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Grimi, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Oddo, Simic. MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo. STRIKERS: Gilardino, Ricardo Oliveira, Ronaldo.

Seedorf is out with a muscle problem but will be ready for Celtic.

I just hope that Yoann will start in his place instead of Ambro or Brocchi like is suspect will happen rolleyes.gif
dst
Please give us Yoann!!
misha
Ancelotti looks to Ronaldo

Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti will unleash Ronaldo from the first minute in Saturday’s Serie A clash at Siena.

The Brazilian made his Rossoneri debut last week as a substitute against Livorno, but the January signing from Real Madrid will start at the Franchi alongside Brazilian friends Kaka and Ricardo Oliveira.

“I think they can do great things together,” stated Ancelotti.

“Ronaldo needs to reach his top form, but playing will give him the possibility to do so earlier and his arrival has given the team new enthusiasm.

“We must remember that he hasn’t played much in the past six months, but he remains a great champion and is comporting himself well.

“We cannot expect him to play with continuity and he might encounter some difficulties now, but I am sure he will prove his value in the next few weeks.”

The tactician also dismissed reports that he’s been asked to make tactical changes to the side by owner and President Silvio Berlusconi.

“He wasn’t discussing my tactical decisions, he only meant to say that we need to be more determined,” underlined the former midfielder.

“We must remain focused if we want to avoid dropping points from now until the end of the season.

“I do not feel under discussion,” he added. “I know that I need to do something so the team can play better.”

Ancelotti’s contract at San Siro expires in 2008 and Barca boss Frank Rijkaard, his former Milan teammate, has been associated with the Rossoneri hotseat today.

Milan (probable): Storari; Oddo, Kaladze, Bonera, Jankulovski; Pirlo, Gattuso, Brocchi; Kaka; Oliveira, Ronaldo

Football Italia
Portman
Please... no more Brocchi + Gattuso on the same team.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (Portugal @ Feb 16 2007, 06:24 PM)
Please... no more Brocchi + Gattuso on the same team.

Negative tactics, what more do you expect! rolleyes.gif
mishie
I'm just hoping that Gourcoff gets a game he's been patient enough now he deserves 90mins
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (mishie @ Feb 16 2007, 09:44 PM)
I'm just hoping that Gourcoff gets a game he's been patient enough now he deserves 90mins

We know that, carlo doesn't rolleyes.gif
han2503
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Feb 16 2007, 09:47 PM)
We know that, carlo doesn't rolleyes.gif

Some reports are saying that Brocchi is still struggleing with some muscle problems.

So HOPEFULLY this will open the door for Yoann to start the game and hopefully impress enough to challenge Seedorf for it
whoarethepatriots
Gattuso and Brocchi might not be that bad provided Pirlo pushes up, distributes the ball properly and the full backs bomb forward, which they can do

Lets not forget that carlo gets paid a lot do his job, so im sure he has a tactical plan and has his reasons
vnata001
anybody else think that ronaldo, oliveira, and kaka could just completely start tearing apart defenses across europe like i (either foolishly/optimistically) think they will? I hope were onto something special here..
arivanjj
QUOTE (vnata001 @ Feb 17 2007, 06:26 PM)
anybody else think that ronaldo, oliveira, and kaka could just completely start tearing apart defenses across europe like i (either foolishly/optimistically) think they will? I hope were onto something special here..

devilsmiley.gif ... well, we'll see
arivanjj
Beretta plans new Milan surprise

Siena boss Mario Beretta is confident he can stop Milan for the second time this season when they cross paths this afternoon.

“We will get a positive result this time as well,” said the Coach after the 0-0 draw at San Siro in October.

“I am certain the lads will give 100 per cent. It has been a good week of training and we managed to integrate a few players returning from injury who, obviously, are still a little behind in terms of match fitness.”

The Rossoneri are the favourites and hope to continue their 11-match unbeaten run that has taken them to within two points of the Champions League spots.

“Milan have fantastic players of great quality who can put you under pressure at any moment. They could finish fourth this season, but I hope they only get there from next week."

Beretta faces some injury worries ahead of this match, as Enrico Chiesa, Leandro Rinaudo and Abdoulay Konko are out of action, while Mario Frick may only be fit enough for the bench, so Massimo Maccarone should start upfront.

“I have to say that my team has faced every opponent with the same determination, whether they were Inter or Cagliari. We have not made a distinction between the ranks.”

Channel4
arivanjj
goal.com Serie A Preview: Siena-Milan

BACKGROUND

The town of Siena, highly regarded around the world for its yearly horse race, the Palio, will get a brief view of some thoroughbreds from Milan, by way of Brazil. The Rossoneri attack should be something special to witness, with three Brazilians storming the Siena goal. This attacking trio is Kakà, Ricardo Oliveira, and Ronaldo.

So often this season, Kakà has been seemingly alone in creating the scoring opportunities, and has been forced to hit almost impossible shots from distance, due to the lack of movement up front from his strikers. This should no longer be a problem, however. Kakà will pull the strings and attempt to provide Ronaldo with adequate service, with Oliveira serving as support to both players in the attacking movements. Oliveira himself had struggled so far this term, but the addition of Ronaldo will make him feel a little more at home, and he should begin to play better. Ronaldo is not yet up to full fitness, but getting the start in this match will be enough motivation for him to continue working toward full fitness.

The Siena goal they will be attempting to set afire will be manned by Alex Manninger, and he spoke of the significance of this match, saying: “Playing against Milan is unique because we will play against one of the three or four most powerful teams in the world. It’s an honor to play a game like this. We have always played good games against the Rossoneri and we will hope to gain some points on Saturday as well. Ronie (in reference to Ronaldo) is the kind of player that can make things difficult at any moment.”

Manninger’s words may well ring true on Saturday, especially given his side’s defensive record. The Bianconeri defense has given up the same number of goals in their home stadium as they have scored, which is twelve. The Siena net minder has seen his team draw at home more often than any other result obtained, and they will be lucky to get that this weekend.

CURRENT FORM

Siena (W L D, 25 points, 12th place in Serie A)

Despite their inability to win matches this term, Siena find themselves in mid-table placing, by virtue of drawing half of the twenty-two matches played so far this season. The winter addition of Massimo Maccarone from Middlesbrough in the transfer market will help get the side more victories, especially if he can mesh well with Mario Frick, who is the side’s leading scorer with six goals.

Milan (D W W, 30 points, 7th place in Serie A)

The Rossoneri have not lost since November, and are improving constantly. This match will not see a full first team squad, as several players will not be fielded in view of the Champions League match in Scotland against Celtic on Tuesday. Nevertheless, the Milan midfield and attack should be able to control most of the possession.

TEAM NEWS

Siena is missing Abdoulay Konko, who is out with a knee injury. Enrico Chiesa is battling the flue, but may be able to play. Mario Frick had a dental procedure carried out during the week, but he should be fine to play in this match.

Milan, yet again, have a long list of injuries. Alessandro Nesta, Serginho, Giuseppe Favalli are missing from the backline, with Cristian Brocchi and Clarence Seedorf being doubts in the midfield. Also, Nelson Dida will not be in goal, but Marco Storari showed himself to be a good replacement between the posts in his debut last weekend.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Massimo Maccarone (Siena) – He will be relied upon heavily in this match, as he will need to do a lot of the attacking work on his own up front. However, he will be going against a Milan defense which has been pieced together, so he could well get a goal or two.

Ronaldo (Milan) – He looked lively in his debut last Sunday when coming on as a substitute, and almost scored from distance. Getting to play from the first kick will give him a better chance to become involved in the rhythm or even dictate it himself. If that rhythm just so happens to resemble the samba, then he could set alight the Siena nets.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI’s

Siena (4-3-1-2): Manninger; Bertotto, Portanova, Rinaudo, Molinaro; Antonini, Codrea, Vergassola; Cozza; Frick, Maccarone

Milan (4-3-1-2): Storari; Oddo, Bonera, Kaladze, Jankulovski; Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff; Kakà; Oliveira, Ronaldo

PREDICTION

This match will be full of scoring chances for Milan, despite the trio of Kakà, Ronaldo, and Oliveira not having too much experience together. Siena will be on their heels most of the time, but the ability they have to grind out results should keep this as a low scoring affair.

Siena 0-2 Milan
arivanjj
it looks like goal is right but Cafu is playing instead of Oddo, and Brocchi is playing for Gourcuff dry.gif

is this the official line-up: http://www.acmilan.com/LM_Match_Stats.aspx?idIncontro=1782

looking forward to seeing the Brazilian trio devil.gif king.gif
han2503
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Feb 17 2007, 12:40 PM)
it looks like goal is right but Cafu is playing instead of Oddo, and Brocchi is playing for Gourcuff dry.gif

is this the official line-up: http://www.acmilan.com/LM_Match_Stats.aspx?idIncontro=1782
looking forward to seeing the Brazilian trio  devil.gif  king.gif

Looks like it mad.gif

I suppose resting Oddo is a good idea, but Brocchi instead of Yoann? mad.gif mad.gif
Portman
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Feb 17 2007, 12:40 PM)

looking forward to seeing the Brazilian trio  devil.gif  king.gif

What a great lineup... rolleyes.gif

Brocchi + Gattuso, Kaladze and Cafu playing... no comments.
han2503
DP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.