Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beckham agrees five-year $250m LA Galaxy deal
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
arivanjj
David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and join side Los Angeles Galaxy on a £128million ($250 million) five-year deal - which works out at a mere half-a-million pounds a week.

The former England captain will leave Real in June and begin his new career in Major League Soccer in August.

Beckham said in a statement: 'This week, Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract by a further two seasons. 'After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.

'I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make. 'I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans.

'I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own. 'For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team mates and fans as I believe Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve.'

In terms of finances it is a mega deal and compares with the biggest in mainstream US sports American football and baseball. The MLS have recently changed their salary cap rules to allow sides to make 'marquee signings' of top international stars. The Beckham deal will see the 31-year-old benefit directly from all his image rights and related sponsorship deals which in the past have had to be shared with his club.

He added on Sky Sports News: 'Soccer in America is the biggest played sport up to a certain age. That's where I want to take it (football in the USA) to another level. 'I think potentially it (football) can go higher in America than anyone can believe.

'There are so many great sports in the USA. There are so many kids playing American Football and basketball. Soccer is huge all around the world except in America and that's where I want to make a difference with the kids.

'I don't want to go out to America at 34 and people saying `he's only there to get the money'. I want to hopefully build a club and team that have a lot of potential and that excites me.' The Real Madrid future of the world's most famous footballer had been shrouded in doubt, especially after coach Fabio Capello this week dropped him from the squad - the first time it had happened to Beckham since he moved from Manchester United in July 2003.

During those three and a half years, Beckham has seen six different coaches appointed while Real have failed to win a single trophy. Capello's arrival at the start of the season could have heralded a new era for Beckham, who was dropped from new England boss Steve McClaren's squad in August, but instead he found himself often sidelined.

Real had been very keen to keep the midfielder - his marketing power remains a huge draw to fans across the globe - but after talks today he announced he will be moving to Los Angeles.

Beckham admitted it had been a tough decision and insisted he had no regrets about leaving Manchester United for Spain in July 2003, despite Real having failed to win a single honour since then. He added: 'It has been a huge decision of mine and my family.

'We'll have been living in Spain for four years at the end of this season and I have played for two of the biggest clubs in the world. I have played at the highest level for 15 years and now I think I need another challenge.

'I've no regrets - I have never had any throughout my life and my career, 'To play in the white shirt for four years was an honour. To play with Zinedine Zidane was the biggest honour I have had in my football career, and it was also an honour to play with players such as Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos. For me, there are no regrets.

A statement from the club read: 'Real Madrid have had a meeting with representatives of David Beckham this morning in the offices of the Santiago Bernabeu stadium. 'After this meeting both parties have decided that David will not extend his present contract with the club, which finishes on June 30, 2007.'

soccernet.com
arivanjj
is this like the biggest transfer ever!!?
vito_online
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jan 12 2007, 04:13 AM)

I think so... huh.gif

Ronaldo or Figo transfer to the petro-dollar land should be in this order...

Calderon & Mijatovic should drink a cup of champagne mad.gif
milanistar
QUOTE (vito_online @ Jan 12 2007, 02:27 AM)
I think so...  huh.gif

Ronaldo or Figo transfer to the petro-dollar land should be in this order...

Calderon & Mijatovic should drink a cup of champagne mad.gif

What are you talking about, Becks will be a free agent in June, Madrid will not touch a penny!

All that money is just his salary without his image rights rolleyes.gif
dst
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jan 12 2007, 04:13 AM)

Easily... Go to Hollywood you g-string trier-on!! tongue.gif
Portman
In LA he'll be at home. I think he did the right choice.
agenth
at least he has a nicer scene out of his window than figo.

I agree. Beckham was born for LA.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 05:31 PM)
at least he has a nicer scene out of his window than figo.

I agree. Beckham was born for LA.

Jeddah isn't exactly Riyadh smile.gif

They have much more leniante (kinda like the west) roles than the rest of Saudi Arabia. They have beach resorts, Cafes, restaurants, mega shopping centers (Saks Fifth Avenue, etc .. ), great weather, and private properties that compete with even LA .. Basically, it can compete with LA, except in the # of tourists biggrin.gif And regarding the view; he'll have the view of the whole Red Sea if he wishes .. But the only negative aspect is the language barrier, unless he knows English, then he's fine king.gif
Jack Sparrow
@mch don't u ever say stuff about Al-Ittihad when R7 is around.

In the words of Samuel L Jackson - R7 will 'strike down with GREAT vengeance and FURIOUS anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy his brothers'
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 12 2007, 08:43 PM)
@mch don't u ever say stuff about Al-Ittihad when R7 is around.

In the words of Samuel L Jackson - R7 will 'strike down with GREAT vengeance and FURIOUS anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy his brothers'

Oh come on jack .. dont scare her .. I just wanted to give another picture of Saudi, something most ppl have little knowledge about, due to poor media coverage in the region (disregarding Iraq tongue.gif )
Jack Sparrow
I don't know much about Saudi Arabia, but if Jeddah has places that're three-quaters as good as Marina Mall, Figo should plant his @$$ there and not move a muscle.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 12 2007, 09:18 PM)
I don't know much about Saudi Arabia, but if Jeddah has places that're three-quaters as good as Marina Mall, Figo should plant his @$$ there and not move a muscle.

I just ment that maybe mchanna thought Jeddah was a desert, when infact, it is the exact opposite.
agenth
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 12 2007, 07:24 PM)
I just ment that maybe mchanna thought Jeddah was a desert, when infact, it is the exact opposite.

Okay I thought it was a desert rolleyes.gif

but still. LA is so much better hehe.
dst
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 08:32 PM)
Okay I thought it was a desert  rolleyes.gif

well it's not!! biggrin.gif
agenth
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 12 2007, 07:39 PM)
well it's not!!  biggrin.gif

I got that. but you'Re the only ones who responded like that, in the other forums everybody agreed with me king.gif

haha, wink.gif

But hey, if you got a choice to live in some saudiarabia, and USA, it's a clear choice.
not only the language, but I think your safety haha lol
dst
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 08:43 PM)
I got that. but you're the only ones who responded like that, in the other forums everybody agreed with me  king.gif

well... if you don't like us stick to the "other forums"... dry.gif

... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 08:43 PM)
But hey, if you got a choice to live in some saudiarabia, and USA, it's a clear choice.
not only the language, but I think your safety haha lol

for me it is; anywhere but America!!
agenth
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 12 2007, 07:46 PM)
well... if you don't like us stick to the "other forums"... dry.gif

... biggrin.gif
for me it is; anywhere but America!!

LMAO!!!

ohmy.gif but America, the land of freedom!!! unsure.gif

And the nightlife of LA will **** over that of Jeddah!
dst
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 08:47 PM)
ohmy.gif  but America, the land of freedom!!!  unsure.gif

LOL!!!

... laugh.gif

QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 08:47 PM)
And the nightlife of LA will **** over that of Jeddah!

If there's booze... it's enough!!
Jack Sparrow
no booze in the Arab countries...well not officially! But that doesn't really stop too many people. Eh R7? wink.gif
agenth
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 12 2007, 07:49 PM)
LOL!!!

... laugh.gif
If there's booze... it's enough!!

what about women? rolleyes.gif unsure.gif
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 12 2007, 08:52 PM)
no booze in the Arab countries...well not officially! But that doesn't really stop too many people. Eh R7? wink.gif

that makes drinking even better!! That reminds me of Prohibition... those were the days!! biggrin.gif
dst
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 08:54 PM)
what about women?  rolleyes.gif  unsure.gif

what?? Don't you like... well OK... you got me there!! Not that I'd have a chance in LA (...)
Jack Sparrow
I think Figo's got a wife hasn't he? In any case that boy had enough time to sleep around. It's time he grew up and learnt maturity and stuff.

Who does he think he is anyway? Cristiano Ronaldo? Btw mch I'm surprise you don't go ga-ga over Cris Ron.
agenth
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 12 2007, 07:58 PM)
I think Figo's got a wife hasn't he? In any case that boy had enough time to sleep around. It's time he grew up and learnt maturity and stuff.

Who does he think he is anyway? Cristiano Ronaldo? Btw mch I'm surprise you don't go ga-ga over Cris Ron.

huh.gif what's that supposed to mean....
(okaaaaaaaaaay I adored cris, but that was a long time ago lol rolleyes.gif mad.gif )

yeah his wife is Helen Svedin, a former H&M model from Sweden
Jack Sparrow
okaaaaaaaaaay I adored cris, but that was a long time ago lol

And then you cheated on him with Kaka??!! How could you??!! tongue.gif laugh.gif
agenth
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 12 2007, 08:16 PM)
And then you cheated on him with Kaka??!! How could you??!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

unsure.gif that was years ago, just when I was in a phase tongue.gif

and I broke up with him before haha. I just cheated on figo with cris tongue.gif

cool.gif wink.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 12 2007, 09:54 PM)
what about women?  rolleyes.gif  unsure.gif

What about them ?

What u think Arab men date camels ?! unsure.gif

rolleyes.gif No, Saudi is no Malibu/Venice Beach or Beverly Hills, but it has enough to offer Figo whatever Becks gets in the framework of a well developed country, well educated ppl, safety cool.gif , and good to pay the salary. But u were talking about the view, he has the whole of the Red Sea and Arabian/Persian Gulf to choose his view from.

Booze ?! huh.gif R u kidding me, there is more booze and drugs in Saudi to compete w/ the US laugh.gif .. On the weekends, everyone is wasted what r talkin about (but that is just Jeddah).

I'm not defending them nor am I supporting, cuz in football terms my country is their #1 rival, when it comes to domestic competition.

------------------------------------

But I was just enlightening u on that fact, since you clearly have this idea that all the Saudi's are in tents (instead of modern houses), men date camels (which Jack confirmed that Arab women are the prettiest tongue.gif ), and safety (clearly u must have been misinformed ..) .. I'm not comparing the nightlife of LA to that of Jeddah; clearly a 30 + yr old person doesnt think that way, for profesional reasons ofcourse cool.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 12 2007, 09:54 PM)
that makes drinking even better!! That reminds me of Prohibition... those were the days!!  biggrin.gif

Lol ... Been a long time huh, old timer tongue.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 13 2007, 06:56 AM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif funny one!!
agenth
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 12 2007, 08:56 PM)
What about them ?

rolleyes.gif No, Saudi is no Malibu/Venice Beach or Beverly Hills, but it has enough to offer Figo whatever Becks gets in the framework of a well developed country, well educated ppl, safety  cool.gif , and good to pay the salary. But u were talking about the view, he has the whole of the Red Sea and Arabian/Persian Gulf to choose his view from.

Booze ?! huh.gif R u kidding me, there is more booze and drugs in Saudi to compete w/ the US laugh.gif .. On the weekends, everyone is wasted what r talkin about (but that is just Jeddah).

I'm not defending them nor am I supporting, cuz in football terms my country is their #1 rival, when it comes to domestic competition.

------------------------------------

But I was just enlightening u on that fact, since you clearly have this idea that all the Saudi's are in tents (instead of modern houses), men date camels (which Jack confirmed that Arab women are the prettiest tongue.gif ), and safety (clearly u must have been misinformed ..) .. I'm not comparing the nightlife of LA to that of Jeddah; clearly a 30 + yr old person doesnt think that way, for profesional reasons ofcourse cool.gif

when did jack say that arab women were the prettiest?!?!

Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 13 2007, 01:20 AM)

when did jack say that arab women were the prettiest?!?!

Clearly, ignorant dry.gif ..

those pictures are of Afghan women and the third one is of a Palestinian/Iraqi woman mourning, most likely after an attack ..

Oh and by the way, the vail or Hijab, isn't what dictates the modern Arab women today, many of them dont wear it. It is something of freedom, they have a choice, it isn't like how the taliban oppressed their women out of education and freedom.

The problem isn't who is the prettiest of them all, but if you think mockery is a style you like to use, then consider several options .. Either you have a poor input on how a modern Arab women considers style essential .. or your just a lost cause.

p.s. If pictures are all you need to base your facts on, then your just a waste of time.
agenth
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 12 2007, 11:43 PM)

those pictures are of Afghan women and the third one is of a Palestinian/Iraqi woman mourning, most likely after an attack ..

Oh and by the way, the vail or Hijab, isn't what dictates the modern Arab women today, many of them dont wear it. It is something of freedom, they have a choice, it isn't like how the taliban oppressed their women out of education and freedom.

The problem isn't who is the prettiest of them all, but if you think mockery is a style you like to use, then consider several options .. Either you have a poor input on how a modern Arab women considers style essential .. or your just a lost cause.

p.s. If pictures are all you need to base your facts on, then your just a waste of time.

was just kidding sorry,
I do have a peculiar sense of humour.
or maybe you guys just live in another world.

There are many women nowadays, who don't wear the veil, but many are pressured in wearing it!! I know many Arab girls in my school!
LaPalma
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 12 2007, 11:43 PM)

I agree with you. But the point is, that we people in Europe only see the one part of Arabia and Muslim countries mchanna just showed us, because it's the only thing the TV let's us see. I'm sure that there's much more, but it is rarely shown on TV or in Newspapers etc. ...
agenth
>_________<
Hey Guys, I'm sorry for my terrible joke.
It's not like I'm a racist, considering I live in a different country, whereas my parents where born.
I'm sorry if I insulted anyone here.
I'll shut my mouth now, or if you want, you can just kick me out of here >.~
I don't know, what I thought when I was posting pictures like those.
I think I seriously need a break.
Well, I'm off then, and please accept my apologies
LaPalma
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 13 2007, 12:12 AM)
>_________<
It's not like I'm a racist, considering I live in a different country, whereas my parents where born.

I honestly never thought that you're a racist.
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 12 2007, 10:00 PM)
Lol ... Been a long time huh, old timer tongue.gif

The cash used to flow back then... our business was flourishing... now all of that is gone... sad.gif
han2503
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jan 12 2007, 10:58 PM)
I agree with you. But the point is, that we people in Europe only see the one part of Arabia and Muslim countries mchanna just showed us, because it's the only thing the TV let's us see. I'm sure that there's much more, but it is rarely shown on TV or in Newspapers etc. ...

Exactly.

I for one when I think of these countries, those pictures come to mind in an instant. It's not because we are ignorant and just think that that is all there is to it, but it's because that is what we are constantly being fed by the media.

You turn on the TV or open a newspaper, and it never says anything about the things you described, all they inform you about is the conflicts going on.

Of course there is the other side of things, but it just shows you how influenced one can become because of the media and what the person is contantly being fed.

Anyway back on topic. It's clear why Becks would chose LA, no matter how much money Al Itahhid (spelling?) offered him. What he wants is to be a celebrity and not just in England and Asia but in America, he wants to go to the oscars and rub elbows with the movie stars, and the LA Galixy football team, I'm sorry SOCCER team, is the right choice made by him. It's clear his head isn't where it's supposed to be
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 13 2007, 01:55 AM)
was just kidding sorry,
I do have a peculiar sense of humour.
or maybe you guys just live in another world.

There are many women nowadays, who don't wear the veil, but many are pressured in wearing it!! I know many Arab girls in my school!

Well, right now, the majority of the girls that I know arent pressured to wear the Hijab, although they think highly of it since it's affiliated w/ our religion.

QUOTE (mchanna @ Jan 13 2007, 02:12 AM)
>_________<

Look, it's not like I'm this religious person that is being offended. It's just that I wanted to make things clear. I dont mean to scare u off or give you the impression that I was offended by anything u might say, obviouslly you have a freedom of speech (I hear a lot of things rolleyes.gif ) but I got pissed off when kept pulling my leg.

Come back .. Your not at all racist and you never insulted me; you were just pulling on my leg king.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jan 13 2007, 01:58 AM)

The media hasn't shown the other side of the culture. Actually, at times they are pretaining to giving Arabs a negative image.

I lived in the states and was there during Sept.11. I mean the media was 110% biased. Who can blame them, the audiance that they were broadcasting too are convinced that it was terrorists, which is currently directly related to Arabs. Before then, we wouldnt hear anything biased.

I personally only came to know of 'terrorism' in movies and in september 11, during my childhood I didn't even recognize the term, cuz it was never a case.

In any case, it's not like u r missing out on anything, we live life exactly how you live yours.Whatever you could get, I could .. It's not nearly close to how the media wants you to precieve it.

Islam is a religion of peace. It is all I'v known all my life. When was Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, etc etc ever involved in any negative action ? When have we interfered with military on anyone ? In modern history (1899-to date), there is only a few wars that occured; Iraq - Iran war and the Gulf war. Which really when you compare it with WWI and WWII along with Vietnam and others, along with Iraq, is peenuts. Concluding that we have no means, but peaceful ppl.
arivanjj
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 13 2007, 01:08 PM)
The media hasn't shown the other side of the culture. Actually, at times they are pretaining to giving Arabs a negative image.

I lived in the states and was there during Sept.11. I mean the media was 110% biased. Who can blame them, the audiance that they were broadcasting too are convinced that it was terrorists, which is currently directly related to Arabs. Before then, we wouldnt hear anything biased.

I personally only came to know of 'terrorism' in movies and in september 11, during my childhood I didn't even recognize the term, cuz it was never a case.

In any case, it's not like u r missing out on anything, we live life exactly how you live yours.Whatever you could get, I could .. It's not nearly close to how the media wants you to precieve it.

Islam is a religion of peace. It is all I'v known all my life. When was Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, etc etc ever involved in any negative action ? When have we interfered with military on anyone ? In modern history (1899-to date), there is only a few wars that occured; Iraq - Iran war and the Gulf war. Which really when you compare it with WWI and WWII along with Vietnam and others, along with Iraq, is peenuts. Concluding that we have no means, but peaceful ppl.

i agree with u... i myself grew up in the middle east and know how it is and how the people are. it's always the media for i don't know what the hell reason is potraying the bad images of arabs and middle easterns.. and of course every country has it's bads and goods, but hey.. that's just the way it works.
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 13 2007, 04:08 AM)
(1899-to date)

that was a great year!! biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 13 2007, 10:29 AM)
that was a great year!!  biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif devil.gif devil.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 13 2007, 09:29 PM)

why is that? rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 13 2007, 01:29 PM)

tongue.gif biggrin.gif
milanistar
Hopefully I don't watch TV nor read newspaper smile.gif
Jack Sparrow
why is that?

Yeah..why is that? I have some vague memory of some English guy doing something amazingly cool at Milan, but I forget what it was.

the majority of the girls that I know arent pressured to wear the Hijab

I vouch for that...i double vouch for that...i triple vouch for that....va va voom. Their eyes...oh those eyes! wub.gif

End this topic right now R7 my bro, show em Nancy, show em Haifa, but don't show em Guitara. wink.gif tongue.gif

P.S: Just b/w you and me we can fool em and pass off Lima as the Kuwaiti chick u had dinner with yesterday? Huh? Huh? devil.gif
Rossoneri7
How'd u find out about that Jack rolleyes.gif
Jack Sparrow
laugh.gif She told me last night, she'd flown in. She digs ur car man! But says I got the better engine if you know what I mean wink.gif tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.