Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blatter: Italy WC win "a tragedy"
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
dst
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday 27 September, 2006

FIFA President Sepp Blatter said it was “a tragedy” that Italy won the 2006 World Cup on penalties and that the system will be changed.

The Final ended 1-1 with France after extra time and the Azzurri buried all five of their spot-kicks to lift the trophy in Berlin on July 9.

"When it comes to the World Cup final it is passion, and when it goes to extra time it is a drama,” said Blatter.

"But when it comes to penalty kicks it is a tragedy. Football is a team sport and penalties is not a team, it is the individual."

The FIFA chief suggested a replay – which would cause massive organisational problems – or gradually taking players off the field in extra time until a Golden Goal is scored.

"We have four years or so before South Africa 2010, so I think we have time," he told a Swiss Chamber of Commerce event in Zurich.

The World Cup Final has been decided twice on penalties – both involving Italy.

In 1994 the match ended 0-0 before Brazil emerged victorious. In 2006 the Azzurri saw off France from the spot.

Blatter has already courted controversy from Italian football after he failed to hand over the World Cup trophy in Berlin this summer. UEFA President Lennart Johannson took charge of the ceremony while Blatter watched from the stands.

Football Italia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dst
The guy's a complete idiot ... but since he's so certain ... what do you suggest should be done ???

Since we're talking about new rules I'd like to say that the use of the monitor is something that MUST be allowed into the game ... it has already began with how the ref was informed of Zidane's headbutt on Materazzi in the "tragic" WC Final...
misha
The headline is indeed stupid
DvZ
this is stupid!

i guess we would not be even talking about this if France won the world cup on penalties

and what's up with "gradually taking players off the field in extra time until a Golden Goal is scored" plan

8 against 8? that's not even football..
X-Offender
QUOTE (DvZ @ Sep 27 2006, 10:19 PM)
and what's up with "gradually taking players off the field in extra time until a Golden Goal is scored" plan

8 against 8? that's not even football..

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard from Blatter's mouth. He's a total idiot, in the very meaning of the word.
Portman
Blatter is an idiot.
amancik
I think this guy has something against Italy ...
dst
QUOTE (DvZ @ Sep 28 2006, 12:19 AM)
i guess we would not be even talking about this if France won the world cup on penalties

Ofcourse we wouldn't ...

And that "thought" of his ... it would certainly kill the players !!

QUOTE (amancik @ Sep 28 2006, 03:24 AM)
I think this guy has something against Italy ...

You think ... ??? rolleyes.gif
LaPalma
I agree with Blatter, that italy won is a tragedy....but by other reasons...WE SHOULD HAVE WON IT....but I guess it's like Lukas Podolski said "It's football, sometimes the better team wins..."
dst
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Sep 28 2006, 03:30 AM)
I agree with Blatter, that italy won is a tragedy....but by other reasons...WE SHOULD HAVE WON IT....but I guess it's like Lukas Podolski said "It's football, sometimes the better team wins..."

He-he still not over it ... biggrin.gif Sorry !!!
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 27 2006, 09:22 PM)
The guy's a complete idiot ... but since he's so certain ... what do you suggest should be done ???

Well they could cancel out the penalties and add a fourth sub; thats for Inzaghi to come on and score the winner close to extra time king.gif

Still, the cup is in Italy now, so hard luck Blatter biggrin.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 28 2006, 12:33 AM)
He-he still not over it ...  biggrin.gif  Sorry !!!

I'll only be over it if it's 2010 and we beat Italy for the first time in history...beating them in the EURO 2008 would also be OK, but it just wouldn't be the same...
Anyway Blatter is the biggest most stupid idiot in the world...
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:37 AM)
Well they could cancel out the penalties and add a fourth sub

well a 4th sub would help but the again what ... they would play like forever .. till death?? The last to stand on his feet wins !! unsure.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 28 2006, 03:42 AM)
well a 4th sub would help but the again what ... they would play like forever .. till death?? The last to stand on his feet wins !!  unsure.gif

Sarcasim dst .. It was sarcasim biggrin.gif .. Yeah, I agree the penalties are the last resort when the players r exhausted smile.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Sep 28 2006, 12:44 AM)
Sarcasim dst .. It was sarcasim  biggrin.gif  .. Yeah, I agree the penalties are the last resort when the players r exhausted smile.gif

Well if dst's very cool idea would be used we would have beaten Liverfool last year...
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:44 AM)
Yeah, I agree the penalties are the last resort when the players r exhausted smile.gif

well I agree ... it's not really fair ... but it's always a classic when it ends that way !!
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Sep 28 2006, 03:50 AM)
Well if dst's very cool idea would be used we would have beaten Liverfool last year...

Arghh .. That cup was ours !!!!!!

How so ?
LaPalma
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Sep 28 2006, 12:53 AM)
Arghh .. That cup was ours !!!!!!

How so ?

I know...they were so f@cking exhausted during the extra time...juts two or five more minutes...
dst
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Sep 28 2006, 03:50 AM)

We would have lost it for sure that way I think ...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 28 2006, 03:50 AM)
well I agree ... it's not really fair ... but it's always a classic when it ends that way !!

Of course .. But why didnt that son of a b!tch comment on the Brazil - Italia final '94 ?! It ended on penalties too; and if Zidane was the cause for Frances downfall in '06 .. Well so was Baggio in '94 cool.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 28 2006, 12:56 AM)
We would have lost it for sure that way I think ...

No no no....
dst
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:57 AM)
Well so was Baggio in '94  cool.gif

"To miss a penalty you need to have the balls to take it in the first place" cool.gif wink.gif
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Sep 28 2006, 03:58 AM)
No no no....

I think we should have scored another one ... but it was tiredness that prevented us from doing so ...
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 28 2006, 01:03 AM)
"To miss a penalty you need to have the balls to take it in the first place"  cool.gif  wink.gif

Haha...this reminds a little bit Lothar Matthäus in the WC final 94' when we got that penalty in the 80ies minute or so. Matthäus was the captain and was always responsible for the penalties, but when it came to that penalty he didn't want to do it...best excuse of all all times "I wear different shoes today..."...
dst
So there were three teams in the '94 WC final ... tongue.gif Seriously now that's a great quote !!
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 28 2006, 01:10 AM)
So there were three teams in the '94 WC final ...  tongue.gif  Seriously now that's a great quote !!

Lol...I meant the final in 1990... sorry guys...
Oh and concerning the quote do you mean what Matthäus said or the stupid thing I said...
dst
what Matthäus said ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.