Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Capello a bad coach ?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
Rossoneri7
This is what Del Piero had to say about him ..

“If Capello stayed I would have left. Nobody misses him at Juve today. This shows what sort of relationship he forged with his players in the past two years,” said the 2006 World Champion. 

“I also think Capello did not work well as a coach. With the team we had last season, we should have gone far in the Champions League. But we were going to go out in the second round if it wasn’t for that error of the Werder keeper,” he added. 

“Capello’s problem was that he was unable to create a true team spirit,” the bitter Del Piero said in conclusion. 

The relationship between Del Piero and ‘Don Fabio’ grew difficult when, starting in the first season of Capello’s  Juve reign,  the Juventus icon was benched regularly. 

By Capello’s second year it was clear the coach considered Del Piero as a super-sub.  Capello is now despised by most Juve fans as well after he left the club for Real Madrid immediately after the Bianconeri were demoted to second division following the ‘Calciopoli’ scandal. 

Just a month and a half before, Capello had said he would stay on with Juve whatever the decision of the disciplinary commission.

ohmy.gif .. Not really, he never played him that is why wink.gif
Jack Sparrow
He's an effective albeit bloody boring coach, I think Lippi was the best coach Juve have had in recent times. Juve never needed a coach who could tell them how to play, what they needed was a coach who could bring all those stars together
dst
well he's more than predictable but that's not his problem; He's constantly playing it safe; whether he's down by one or ten. Well simply defence cannot always win!!!!
Portman
For me, Capello is one of the 3-4 best coaches in the world.

Capello, Mourinho, Benitez...
han2503
QUOTE (Portugal @ Aug 26 2006, 12:08 PM)
For me, Capello is one of the 3-4 best coaches in the world.

Capello, Mourinho, Benitez...

You think Benitez is a good coach??

He only won the CL because of miraculous circumstances not because he was a good coach, in the final we outplayed Liverpool in every aspect and they only won because god wanted them to.

And I have been saying this over and over again, Cappello isn't what he used to be, DP is right, all you have too look at is his games in the CL, ahiant Liverpool, Arsenal and Werder, all of them Juve where outplayed by supposed mediocre teams who on paper are much weeker then them.

Cappello's problem is that he is very predictable and everyone knows what to expect from him.

Mourinho for me is another Cappello, he delivers when it comes to the domestic league, in a machanical fashion grinding through the small teams. He ppays very predictable football and isn't that easy on the eyes, but he delvers the results.

For me the best 4 coaches are: Rijkaard, Ancellotti, Arsen Wenger, Cappello.

Even though I don't like Cappello I included him because no one can forget the magical spell he hasd at Milan in the mid 90s but from there he has went a bit down hill
Portman
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 26 2006, 01:12 PM)
You think Benitez is a good coach??

No doubt. Just look what Liverpool was, and what they are now. I mean, Benitez put them on the top again. They're at the same level as ManUtd and Arsenal. If not better.
han2503
QUOTE (Portugal @ Aug 26 2006, 01:19 PM)
No doubt. Just look what Liverpool was, and what they are now. I mean, Benitez put them on the top again. They're at the same level as ManUtd and Arsenal. If not better.

I never was very impressed by him, sure he has brought Liverpool back, but he just doesn't convince me that much, the only thing that impresses me, is that he won La Liga with Valencia.
dst
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 26 2006, 04:12 PM)
For me the best 4 coaches are: Rijkaard, Ancellotti, Arsen Wenger, Cappello.

Benitez?? Yes he's a good coach!!!
Mourinho really is predictable, a p*ssy ( IMO he ordered Del Horno to "kill" Messi last season and the fact he signed The Cannibal is no great surprise ... rolleyes.gif watch out Leo!!! ) and a bawler but he has a great power. He handles each and every one of his players in a unique way and knows exactly what their capable of and how to use their abilities!!!! That is enough as he has already proved to us!!!

Rijkard!!!??? Your'e kidding right? Ancelotti (who you know I don't like) is much better a coach than the great Franky!!!

and ... Arsen Wenger ... he is exactly what you said; a great coach, but as a manager ... well ... he pretty much SUCKS!!!! He and his crew can create players out of nowhere and in no time but tactically ... I already said so ... he sucks!!!
GULLIVER
Cappelo is definitly in the top 5 of last decade's best coaches. He doesn't do nothing extraordinary, but that "doing nothing" and winning makes him special

edit: he is definitly better the mourinho and Benitez
X-Offender
Sacchi is the best coach football has ever known IMHO.
Costacurta
Good topic.

I will rally to Capello's defence again. I still believe Capello is the World's Best Manager. Han2503 and I had a good debate on this topic on another post, and his lack of success in the CL, of late, is not encouraging. In fact, it is mystifiying frankly. However, this season at Real he has a great chance to come back strongly and I think he has every chance of doing that. He is still an outstanding tactician and a great identifier of talent. He has transferred excellently at Real so far (though I am still at a loss as to why anyone would wnat Reyes, but we'll put that down to Couldron).

As for Mourinho. I think he is good, perhaps, very good, but not as good as I once thought. We have had a good period now to examine his achievements, and he is not as good as orignally thought. He is a poor man-manager I think who isolates the more modest players in the dressing room through his bravardo and arrogance. Benitez is not only better but is excellent. I am never going to claim he deserved to win THAT final, but in just a couple of years he has turned Liverpool from losers into winners. He has FA Cup victories, CL win (still had to get to the final to be fair) and I think he has a great eye for good, inexpesive talent.

Wenger is very good i feel, if he does lack that ability to turn matches.
Rijkaard is hard to deny that he is good looking at his record. He has shown, shall we say, outstanding potential.

Lippi obviously speaks for himself, though I disagree with his player selection (ridiuclous loyalty to Totti and choosing Iaquinta over Pippo every time in WC).

We mustn't forget Guus Hiddink. He is very good also. He would have been the perfect man for the England job, but somehow they buggered that up.

As for the likes of Sacchi and I would say, Sir ALex Ferguson, both probably greats of their time. Fergie is past it now I would say. And just what did happen to Sacchi. Last I heard of him he was meddling around at the Bernabeu. He isn't too old, he could still come bak to full-time management I'm sure.

I once read a conclusion in a book that said if Italy had won the 94 World Cup, it would have been despite Sacchi, rather than becuase of him. I, however, tend to disagree.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Costacurta @ Aug 27 2006, 02:35 PM)

I think you did not give him enough credit .. I think he would be a perfect replacment to Carlo. His team play great football ..The way the ball is always flowing smoothly. I haven't seen any team play the way Wenger's Arsenal does .. But anyways .. Some might see otherwise cool.gif
dst
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 27 2006, 01:00 AM)
Sacchi is the best coach football has ever known IMHO.

well I believe Milan "made" him ... I can't tell for sure but he also had in his hands the best team in the world ever!!!!

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 27 2006, 03:03 PM)
I think you did not give him enough credit .. I think he would be a perfect replacment to Carlo. His team play great football ..The way the ball is always flowing smoothly. I haven't seen any team play the way Wenger's Arsenal does .. But anyways .. Some might see otherwise cool.gif

well ... Arsenal's football is beatiful I agree but considering his results ... he's not anything special; 3 EPL wins in his first 10 years with Arsenal when only Manchester were the opponent ... well it's not anything great IMO!!!! I wouldn't want to experience a Milan de Paris as well so thanks I'll pass!!!
han2503
Benitez?? Yes he's a good coach!!!

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'm just saying that he doesn't impress me that much. The only thing he has won with Liverpool that can be called a big achievment is that CL that he robbed from us, but other then that he hasn't donr anything special with them, he hasn't even managed to come 2nd one in the EPL since he has been there.

As I said before about him the only thing that I consider a big achievment by him is that La Liga win with Valencia.

Mourinho really is predictable, a p*ssy ( IMO he ordered Del Horno to "kill" Messi last season and the fact he signed The Cannibal is no great surprise ...  rolleyes.gif  watch out Leo!!! ) and a bawler but he has a great power. He handles each and every one of his players in a unique way and knows exactly what their capable of and how to use their abilities!!!! That is enough as he has already proved to us!!!

Well you said yourself in some other thread that his CL win with Porto was pure luck, and the fact that only mediocre teams made it through to the semifinals prove that it wasn't that hard to win it that year. As I said before about Mourinho his predictabality will be his down fall just like Cappello. Small teams that come up against his team can't do anything because there is the quality of the players factor, because let's face it Mourinho has players on his team that can win you matches all by them selves. But when he comes up against big teams he normally fails because the opposing team will know what to expect from him. Just like Cappello, when he faces us in the league we normally always outplay them in every aspect the only wins that he had against us was because of the refs. The Cl games that Cappello has played with Juve should be proof enough.

Rijkard!!!??? Your'e kidding right? Ancelotti (who you know I don't like) is much better a coach than the great Franky!!!

and ... Arsen Wenger ... he is exactly what you said; a great coach, but as a manager ... well ... he pretty much SUCKS!!!! He and his crew can create players out of nowhere and in no time but tactically ... I already said so ... he sucks!!!

I think that Rijkaard's recent results should speek for themselves, 2 La Liga wins in a row and the CL should be proof enough of what he can do. Rijkaard plays great footbal that you like to watch but he also brings the results.
dst
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 27 2006, 06:28 PM)
I think that Rijkaard's recent results should speek for themselves, 2 La Liga wins in a row and the CL should be proof enough of what he can do. Rijkaard plays great footbal that you like to watch but he also brings the results.

you just said, talking about Mourinho, that results is not all that matter!!!! wink.gif

Henk ten Cate is the creator of the team ... unless you think that it's normal for assistant and coach to turn roles ... rolleyes.gif and in case you wondered why Rijkard always turned to him whenever there was the slightest of problems!!!!
han2503
you just said, talking about Mourinho, that results is not all that matter!!!!  wink.gif

Trying to twist my words there, clever. wink.gif . But still Iwas saying that other coaches will all eventually figure Mourinho out, because of his predictability, yes sure he brings the results, in the EPL not in CL, because the domestic league is full of teams that are small, only Man. U, Liverpool and Arsenal are the 'Big teams' that he can lose points agianst, which he usually recovers back when playing against the small teams.

Henk ten Cate is the creator of the team ... unless you think that it's normal for assistant and coach to turn roles ...  rolleyes.gif  and in case you wondered why Rijkard always turned to him whenever there was the slightest of problems!!!!

Isn't Henk ten Cate leaving this season? If that's so then I guess we'll see who really wore the pants in that relationship wink.gif
dst
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 27 2006, 07:10 PM)
Trying to twist my words there, clever.  wink.gif  . But still Iwas saying that other coaches will all eventually figure Mourinho out, because of his predictability, yes sure he brings the results, in the EPL not in CL, because the domestic league is full of teams that are small, only Man. U, Liverpool and Arsenal are the 'Big teams' that he can lose points agianst, which he usually recovers back when playing against the small teams.

I did not try to twist anything; you said he's won stuff but ...
Also Mourinho didn't lose from those big teams you said last year in the EPL ... or maybe I think he lost or drew once but he didn't lose points in favour of the competition.

QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 27 2006, 07:10 PM)
Isn't Henk ten Cate leaving this season? If that's so then I guess we'll see who really wore the pants in that relationship  wink.gif

well ... he already left for Ajax ... and he left them out of the CL ... blush.gif
but he's the creator of the current Barca I'm sure of that ... I don't hold anything against Rijkard, he's actually one of my fave players of all time!!!
han2503
I did not try to twist anything; you said he's won stuff but ...
Also Mourinho didn't lose from those big teams you said last year in the EPL ... or maybe I think he lost or drew once but he didn't lose points in favour of the competition.

What I'm trying to say about Mourinho is that his predictability is his big weekness as a coach just like Cappello, I'm not saying that the boring style of football his team plays is why I think he is not someone that I consider that highly. And yes in the end the results are the most important thing. My curiosity about him is not about him winning the EPL (I'm sure he will win it this season) but will he be able to win the CL again with Chelsea? That's my big curiosity, and if he doesn't manage to win it in these next few seasons when he has one of the best teams in Europe, then all my questions about him would be answered

And I wasn't saying that he lost against all of them (Man. U etc) in every game but the points he lost last season where mostly because of them

well ... he already left for Ajax ... and he left them out of the CL ... blush.gif
but he's the creator of the current Barca I'm sure of that ... I don't hold anything against Rijkard, he's actually one of my fave players of all time!!!

Well I saw that game (Ajax) and yes they also play amazing football and where very unlucky not to qualify, (stupid own goal and terrible marking on the first goal). Well as I said before since he left, I guess now we'll get to see if Rijkaard can do it without him

Oh and Rijkaard is also one of my all time favourites king.gif
dst
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 27 2006, 07:49 PM)
And I wasn't saying that he lost against all of them (Man. U etc) in every game but the points he lost last season where mostly because of them

haven't you already noticed that we agree on Mourinho!!???
isn't it only logical that he lost points against them?

Heck, Han you make me sound like I like the guy!!!! tongue.gif
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 27 2006, 07:49 PM)
Well as I said before since he left, I guess now we'll get to see if Rijkaard can do it without him

I think it won't be easy cause the team is already structured and playing together for like 3 years so what we judge is Franky's subs and tactical stuff during a game ...
we'll see!!!

do you think there's a tiny piece of truth in what they say is a clause on his contract that releases him in case Milan ask for him???
it's kinda funny ... biggrin.gif
han2503
haven't you already noticed that we agree on Mourinho!!???
isn't it only logical that he lost points against them?

Heck, Han you make me sound like I like the guy!!!!  tongue.gif

For a moment there I thought you really did like him puke.gif

I think it won't be easy cause the team is already structured and playing together for like 3 years so what we judge is Franky's subs and tactical stuff during a game ...
we'll see!!!

You're right. I hope you are wrong about him, because I would love to have him at Milan after Carlo leaves

do you think there's a tiny piece of truth in what they say is a clause on his contract that  releases him in case Milan ask for him???
it's kinda funny ...  biggrin.gif

I hope there is one, because as I already said he is the only one that I would consider to take Carlo's place
han2503
QUOTE (Costacurta @ Aug 27 2006, 11:35 AM)
Good topic.

I will rally to Capello's defence again. I still believe Capello is the World's Best Manager. Han2503 and I had a good debate on this topic on another post, and his lack of success in the CL, of late, is not encouraging. In fact, it is mystifiying frankly. However, this season at Real he has a great chance to come back strongly and I think he has every chance of doing that. He is still an outstanding tactician and a great identifier of talent. He has transferred excellently at Real so far (though I am still at a loss as to why anyone would wnat Reyes, but we'll put that down to Couldron).

As for Mourinho. I think he is good, perhaps, very good, but not as good as I once thought. We have had a good period now to examine his achievements, and he is not as good as orignally thought. He is a poor man-manager I think who isolates the more modest players in the dressing room through his bravardo and arrogance. Benitez is not only better but is excellent. I am never going to claim he deserved to win THAT final, but in just a couple of years he has turned Liverpool from losers into winners. He has FA Cup victories, CL win (still had to get to the final to be fair) and I think he has a great eye for good, inexpesive talent.

Rijkaard is hard to deny that he is good looking at his record. He has shown, shall we say, outstanding potential.

Lippi obviously speaks for himself, though I disagree with his player selection (ridiuclous loyalty to Totti and choosing Iaquinta over Pippo every time in WC).

We mustn't forget Guus Hiddink. He is very good also. He would have been the perfect man for the England job, but somehow they buggered that up.

As for the likes of Sacchi and I would say, Sir ALex Ferguson, both probably greats of their time. Fergie is past it now I would say. And just what did happen to Sacchi. Last I heard of him he was meddling around at the Bernabeu. He isn't too old, he could still come bak to full-time management I'm sure.

I once read a conclusion in a book that said if Italy had won the 94 World Cup, it would have been despite Sacchi, rather than becuase of him. I, however, tend to disagree.

Well his new season with Real started today, albeit on the wrong foot, for as long as I can remember Capello usually starts a new season like some kind of robot grinding out results. So let's see if his second try will be even more unsuccesful then his first. I keep saying that I don't view him with the same loght that I did back when he was at Milan, let's see if I was right, or if Costacurta was right, and Real just simply had a bit of a mis-step today
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.