han2503
post Jul 17 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #1591

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 17 2014, 06:41 PM) *
It's obviously a kind act. But let's be honest, we're talking of countries here. 35m to Germany is nothing, 35m to Brazil is nothing.

35m for Brazil to spend properly is a lot imo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jul 17 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #1592

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 17 2014, 09:41 PM) *
It's obviously a kind act. But let's be honest, we're talking of countries here. 35m to Germany is nothing, 35m to Brazil is nothing.

Agreed. It was a kind gesture as you said directed to the poor of Brazil, as they have been left hurt by their govt's spending on the WC while they had necessity needs not met. 35M is nothing, but a kind gesture nonetheless.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 17 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #1593

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 17 2014, 08:11 PM) *
35m for Brazil to spend properly is a lot imo.

For a country? Nah. What Germany gave them is the equivalent of less than 10p per person... To put it into perspective, the money Germany gave Brazil is what Birmingham spent refurbishing New Street (train) Station.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Jul 17 2014, 09:54 PM

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jul 17 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #1594

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

It's more of a gesture really. And it should be embraced, not criticized.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 17 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #1595

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 17 2014, 11:32 PM) *

I wasn't criticising it, it's just sad how so much money, in reality, means so little. As you say, it's just a gesture and a very admirable one at that.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jul 17 2014, 10:56 PM
Post #1596

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 17 2014, 09:51 PM) *
For a country? Nah. What Germany gave them is the equivalent of less than 10p per person... To put it into perspective, the money Germany gave Brazil is what Birmingham spent refurbishing New Street (train) Station.

I don't think it should be considered as spread out per person.

Yeah, in terms of countries it can barely be considered as a blip, but when we're talking about the kind of poverty there is in Brazil, I think it's decent.

And yeah, it's mostly all about the gesture, but still it's nice to see

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 18 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #1597

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 17 2014, 09:32 PM) *

The gesture? Embraced. Publicity of it? Heavily condemned.

Yesterday Ozil was bragging about donating money to Brazilian kids for surgery. Sorry, but that leaves a sour tase in my mouth.

If you're doing it for altruism, why would you go public? Oh yeah, you want to pose and be loved.

Look at Totti - donates/donated millions anonymously because he didn't want it getting out. He didn't want praise, he just wanted to help people out of the kindness of his heart. He was furious when it leaked out. Didn't pose, didn't get photos taken. Just avoided it altogether.

Ronaldo also does this all the time, and makes zero publicity about it, because it's about helping those in need, not being praised for doing so.

Anyone who donates to charity and tells people about it is doing it to be praised.

And that's egotism and vanity at its worst.

This thing by Germany is the same. They should have kept their donation private, because it looks like Merkel just wants positive PR for her regime.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jul 18 2014, 06:42 AM
Post #1598

Primavera
Group Icon

If I were in the position to depend on other people's donation, I wouldn't give a damn if the person brags or not. As I said, the gesture is what counts. It's important they did it, everything else is peripheral to that.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 18 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #1599

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 18 2014, 07:42 AM) *
If I were in the position to depend on other people's donation, I wouldn't give a damn if the person brags or not. As I said, the gesture is what counts. It's important they did it, everything else is peripheral to that.

Trying telling dst and JB that about LeBron!

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 18 2014, 02:38 PM
Post #1600

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 18 2014, 05:42 AM) *
If I were in the position to depend on other people's donation, I wouldn't give a damn if the person brags or not.

You wouldn't mind being used publicly for their ego?
Where's your self-respect man!

As I said, the gesture is what counts. It's important they did it, everything else is peripheral to that.

Not for me. I don't like boasting about it, it completely defeats the purpose of doing it.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 18 2014, 02:38 PM
Post #1601

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 18 2014, 10:33 AM) *

?

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jul 18 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #1602

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 18 2014, 04:38 PM) *
You wouldn't mind being used publicly for their ego?
Where's your self-respect man!

Not for me. I don't like boasting about it, it completely defeats the purpose of doing it.

If I was depending on other peoples money or help? That would mean I've reached the bottom.

I don't think the people who get Özils or anyone's money care. They're living another life.

+Quote Post

dst
post Jul 18 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #1603

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 18 2014, 01:33 PM) *

How is winning the world cup and taking part in a show about your professional future the same? The World Cup is there, it happens every four years and nations take part in it to win it. There's nothing wrong with taking part in this competition. On the other hand, James took part in an ego feeding show to announce the world his decision about where he wanted to play... How are these two related? I'm not saying donating money is wrong. That's nice. That though, does not make what you did to make that money right. Unless what you did was something like win the WC. Because there's nothing wrong with that in the first place! If I make money selling drugs or weapons and then donate that money to a charity does that make my business right? No, I'm not saying James did anything as bad as that, I'm just making a point. Look, James himself has apologized a number of times for the way he handled that situation as recently as in his piece for SI a few days ago. You can keep supporting what he himself regrets doing and I will keep thinking it was wrong partly because well, after all, James does too.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 18 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #1604

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (dst @ Jul 18 2014, 07:07 PM) *
How is winning the world cup and taking part in a show about your professional future the same? The World Cup is there, it happens every four years and nations take part in it to win it. There's nothing wrong with taking part in this competition. On the other hand, James took part in an ego feeding show to announce the world his decision about where he wanted to play... How are these two related? I'm not saying donating money is wrong. That's nice. That though, does not make what you did to make that money right. Unless what you did was something like win the WC. Because there's nothing wrong with that in the first place! If I make money selling drugs or weapons and then donate that money to a charity does that make my business right? No, I'm not saying James did anything as bad as that, I'm just making a point. Look, James himself has apologized a number of times for the way he handled that situation as recently as in his piece for SI a few days ago. You can keep supporting what he himself regrets doing and I will keep thinking it was wrong partly because well, after all, James does too.

Merkel didn't win the World Cup. She announced about giving the money to a charitable cause, for her ego. In your eyes, that's what LeBron did, gave money to charity but it was about his ego, apparently.

Of course he apoogised, he's sick of being asked about it and this shoots it dead. I've apologised for things I'm not sorry for so someone might STFU about it.

+Quote Post

dst
post Jul 18 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #1605

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 18 2014, 10:07 PM) *
Merkel didn't win the World Cup. She announced about giving the money to a charitable cause, for her ego. In your eyes, that's what LeBron did, gave money to charity but it was about his ego, apparently.

Of course he apoogised, he's sick of being asked about it and this shoots it dead. I've apologised for things I'm not sorry for so someone might STFU about it.

Why do you insist on the giving money to charity part? I never said that's wrong or that was about anyone's ego, I'm saying 'The Decision' was a thoughtless, completely unnecessary, self-promoting non-sense. It's a very nice thing that he donated the money afterwards, that doesn't make 'The Decision' itself any less an egomaniacal mistake.

I know what you're saying, I'm pretty sure I've done that too. But I did not base my opinion on James's apology, I obviously had an opinion before that and I always though it was wrong. I do however not think this is a case of James apologizing so that people will get off his back about it, I do believe he actually thinks it was a parody, because I can't see anything that's not wrong about it.

To sum up, 'The Decision'=wrong, donating money=right. The right part does not make the wrong part any less wrong.

+Quote Post

108 Pages V  « < 105 106 107 108 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:48 PM