Tennie
post Sep 7 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #1

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

(from uefa.com link)

Former AC Milan legend Franco Baresi can hardly imagine a UEFA Champions League season without the Rossoneri but that is the reality. A fifth-place Serie A finish last term means Milan will not compete in the premier continental competition for the first time since 2001/02, but they are aiming to bounce back both at home and in the UEFA Cup, the one major trophy to elude their grasp.

Honours
Baresi, 48, spent his entire playing career at Milan and in 719 appearances over two decades the defender won three European Champion Clubs' Cups and six Scudettos among a host of trophies, before passing the torch to Paolo Maldini on retirement in 1997. Now a youth coach with Milan, the signing of Ronaldinho, Gianluca Zambrotta, Philippe Senderos, Mathieu Flamini and Andriy Shevchenko makes Baresi confident that last term's results were just a blip.

Contenders
"Milan will certainly have a great season," Baresi told uefa.com. "It's a shame that after so many years they are out of the Champions League, but we will have this UEFA Cup experience and I think that Milan can only bring prestige to this competition. They did a great job in the transfer market getting very important players. I think they will be contenders in Europe, even if not in the Champions League."

Pride
Other than a short spell as Fulham FC director of football, Baresi has been a one-club man as player and coach and is proud of that fact. "I believe that in a big club, it is paramount to have the attachment, the passion, the sense of belonging," Baresi explained. "When it happens I think there is a stronger connection among the players and therefore even on the pitch there is much more mutual help and the results come. Milan have always had players that were symbols that have played for the club for many, many years and that the club has always been very careful with and supported. For a player to give his best, stability is vital."

Youth development
Currently in charge of Milan's Under-19 squad, Baresi is a firm believer in a club developing their own talent. "In the next few years the youngsters will be of vital importance with the new UEFA rules which impose a number of players that have been part of the youth set-up," he said. "Milan has always been very attentive towards youngsters, always investing a lot, there are many boys that have grown up within our youth system who are now Serie A players."

Italian bid
Milan's youngsters will not have a chance of UEFA Champions League football this year but Baresi believes that FC Internazionale Milano, AS Roma, Juventus and ACF Fiorentina can make up for last season's disappointment when only the capital club reached the quarter-finals. "Last year things could have been better, but I think that Italian football remains of a very high standard," Baresi said. "Those who want to win, I think, will always have to get past the Italian teams because they are always well-organised and difficult to beat.

Inter threat
"In the Champions League Italy will be well represented because Inter certainly aim to go very far, Roma are nowadays a threat and there is the comeback of Juventus. Italian football, and also the national team, will go back to being competitive even though we know that competition is fierce because the English and Spanish clubs are ready for the battle."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

acid911
post Sep 7 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #2

Berretti

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,736

Good show, Ten. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks for pointing us to the article. A very good read.

+Quote Post

morgoth
post Sep 7 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,827

"Milan has always been very attentive towards youngsters, always investing a lot, there are many boys that have grown up within our youth system who are now Serie A players." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

whoarethepatriot...
post Sep 15 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #4

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 782

Speaking of Baresi, he played a charity match last week. It was England past stars and celebs vs Rest of the world comprising of stars such as Romario, Baresi De Canio, and TV stars like Isaac from Heores (Cabrera) and the Brazilian actor from Lost (cant remember name) I think England won 4-3, but Baresi had a solid match next to Jaap Stam!

It was a fun match to watch

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:49 AM