post Mar 3 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #136

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (William405 @ Feb 3 2019, 05:28 PM) *
True

Apparently, we didn't find someone that will provide the jump in quality. I think our squad is good for 4th place without the injuries etc...

It seems better to wait for the right winger instead of shelling out 20mill for someone who we know won't change the quality of our football.

Yes, that is a good point, but even someone like Deulofeu would have been good. Hakan and Suso are both mostly creative wide players with limited pace. We just need someone who is direct and can beat players with pace and the dynamic of this entire team would change. I still think we should have just shelled out for someone with that kind of profile tbh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Mar 3 2019, 09:33 PM
Post #137

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 3 2019, 08:41 PM) *
Yes, that is a good point, but even someone like Deulofeu would have been good. Hakan and Suso are both mostly creative wide players with limited pace. We just need someone who is direct and can beat players with pace and the dynamic of this entire team would change. I still think we should have just shelled out for someone with that kind of profile tbh

Agreed.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post May 15 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #138

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

A lot depends on CL.

This thread will only be attractive and exciting if Milan cements 4th place, even then there is the qualifiers. Otherwise the club will have to put some players up for sale

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 25 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #139

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 15 2019, 06:15 PM) *
A lot depends on CL.

This thread will only be attractive and exciting if Milan cements 4th place, even then there is the qualifiers. Otherwise the club will have to put some players up for sale

Just to clarify, there are no qualifiers anymore for the 4th place teams from Italy, England and Spain (not sure if Germany is in there as well)

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post May 26 2019, 04:49 PM
Post #140

Smoking Bianco

I must have missed something... That's great! Cause its a load of rubbish having to play qualifiers. This should definitely bring the quality of the tournament up.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 26 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #141

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Well, this year was the first year to apply the new rules. You are really missing out man...

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Jun 13 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #142

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 12,353

Have not been on this forum for some time ... looks rather "slow" ... and no summer '19 transfer thread.

Would be interested in hearing how everyone feels about recent news :-).

Me, I am mildly hopeful. Would prefer to see a "big name" coach and "big name" signings, but ... let's face it, priority right now should be to fix the financial mess we are in. Constantly losing money (80M this year!) is not going to work for us. Even if Elliott is willing to fund us, we are seriously at risk of being barred from European cups (FFP).

The current strategy appears consistent with the goal of cleaning up finances. Giampaolo may not be the top of excitement, but he appears to have the ability of getting players with promise to actually fulfill their promise, and that's what we need right now. Also, he seems to play an attractive game, which will help.

I would expect a couple of painful sales (Donna and Suso are my guess, hopefully not Crutone), and more Krunic-like signings (players with some potential that have gone under the radar). Maybe we will see one signing that can get us moderately excited (two tops). OTOH, we are getting rid of a number of expensive bench-warmers (Monto, Berto, and even Mauri).

Leo's departure is consistent with the overall strategy (I like Leo but he spends big, and that's not we need right now). I have mixed feelings about Rino's leaving, but I am excited about Maldini and Boban.

As for next year, I see Inter challenging for second or maybe even first place, and Juve and Napoli staying at the top. That means we will have to fight for a CL spot with the likes of Roma, Lazio, Atalanta (and maybe others). Will be interesting ...

This post has been edited by Forza Milan!: Jun 14 2019, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jun 14 2019, 04:20 PM
Post #143

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

Hi FM, thank you for breaking the silence on here!

I've seen life sentences move faster than MF lately. It's a dying forum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I think the issue is there's very little Milan to be excited about now. It's all half-baked ideas and no real plan.

It isn't Milan any more, and may not be for a long time, if ever.

Donna and Suso are welcome to leave, like you I'd keep Cutrone. Only players I actually like these days are Cutrone, Piatek, Reina, maybe Jack and that's really it. And only a few of them are as good as we need for where we need to be.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jun 14 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #144

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Why not Romagnoli? Calabria? Conti? I think we have a good young batch that needs support. Sure, Milan isn't that great anymore but I still think we have a brand that simply cannot fall into oblivion like Leeds or Forest did. Milan has more history then both mentioned.. and history is still a great value.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jun 14 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #145

Smoking Bianco

If history is willing to put on shorts and charge down San Siro Im all for it Pippo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Jun 14 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #146

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Again, I am actually mildly optimistic. Would be very optimistic except recent history has me somewhat spooked.

Much of our problems have been how we have handled finances. B&G went for "have beens" (I can think of a few of those) or "special deals" from "friends" like Preziosi. Good ol' "yellow tie" seemed to get real excited about "parametro zero" players without taking into account that (1) if nobody wants the dude there probably is a reason and (2) the burden of ridiculously high salaries had a massive financial impact, not to mention (3) if the player does not work out ... who will buy him ... and why would he leave when he can make silly money just by warming the bench.

Then we got Fasso and Mira. Actually got really excited about the two, but the big money we spent yielded no results on the field and a massive financial burden (we are struggling to unload flops like Silva). They did a few things right, but overall it just made a bad situation worse.

My hope is that Elliott will start running us like a real business. Reduce salaries, generate money on plusvalenze, and (hopefully) find other sources of revenue (that's why we got Gaddiz, I think). Let's face reality, it will be painful for a few years. Signings like Giampaolo and Krunic are not what we have gotten used to, but they are in line with what appears to be Elliott's strategy, and (more important) I do not think we have a choice.

FWIW:
- We are already deep in trouble for FFP violations, it would do us no good to spend big on players only to see us banned from European competitions. Hence, finances come first.
- We are going to struggle attracting top talent if the best we can do is qualify for EL (only option is to to offer high salaries, which would not help and will only attract the "mercenary type" we have seen in recent times).
- Look at Inter. People made fun of Suning and his "fozza Inda", but he got the financials back in shape, got them out of "FFP trouble", and now they can spend money again (and attract talent).
- Maldini and Boban were big critics in past years ... and they appear to have bought into the new project

Hence my cautious optimism ...

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Jun 14 2019, 08:36 PM
Post #147

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Lots of rumors going on. What do you think should be our priorities and targets? My take ...

GK:
- I would love to keep Gigio, but I think he has to go - why? real high salary and good plusvalenza if we act now (at risk of getting less money next year if he does not renew)
- If Gigio goes, we got other options (Reina and Plizzari was quite impressive at the U20 WC). But ... is that enough? And, if not, who would you go for?

Back line:
- We are down to two healthy CBs, so I think we need a couple more. We appear to be linked with Lovren and Manolas (either would bring much needed experience, but neither fits the profile that will satisfy Gadiz / Elliott).
- As I understand it, Giampaolo's style of attack relies on fast wingbacks, and arguably we have gaps in this area as well.

Midfield:
- Needs a a lot of work. We lost Monto, Berto, and Mauri. No no big loss on any of them, but we need starters and decent backups. I am hoping to see at least one reasonably high profile signing in this area.

Attackers:
- Apparently Giampaolo likes to play with two up front. Suso likely to be going (he is asking for 6M salary, and we could use the plusvalenza). Silva not likely to come back (plus he is coming out of two unimpressive seasons). Piatek and Cutrone fit the same profile, and I am not sure we will keep Cutrone just as a sub (so we may sell or loan him). I have seen people argue that our biggest gap is SS.

Thoughts?

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 15 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #148

Not sure 4-3-1-2 is the way to go. You can't compete today without wingers. They are the essence of dynamic football. For 4-3-1-2 to work you would need an especially fantastic midfield, and two top strikers. We don't have any of that.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 15 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #149

By the way, what do you guys think of Stefano Sensi? Seems like our main objective now with Bakayoko's departure.

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Jun 16 2019, 02:58 AM
Post #150

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Interesting article (link)

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:40 PM