Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Fabiano furore

Danny
post Aug 19 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

What a Confederations Cup Luis Fabiano had. Top scorer and looked a world beater. Been prominent for the national team since Dunga's reign, with a quite frightening scoring rate. Didn't have maybe quite as brilliant a season for Sevilla last year, despite them finishing a sturdy 3rd, but no one would doubt his quality.

In today's silly market of Kaka going for 56M, C Ron costing 80M and Alonso 30 not to mention Santa Cruz for 18M, prices are insane, and a striker of Fabiano's quality would be worth 20-30M easily.

Yet Sevilla only wanted about 15-18M tops? And Milan refused to go higher than about 8M?

The Fabiano case is a curious one - a world class striker who's played at the highest levels and done well in them, including a fantastic Confeds Cup, yet Milan, a team not completely poor if not quite Man City refuse to pay what he's worth?

Refuse to pay anything more than about 8M?

And then a month or so later sign KJH for about 13M?

So, we wouldn't pay that money for Fabiano, but would for KJH.

I don't quite understand that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

nuh
post Aug 19 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 1,284

we spent that much on huntelaar because he is younger and plus i heard that only 4 mil will go real this summer and 11 mil will go to them next year....its a better deal then 18 for a 30 year old

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Aug 19 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

I personally don't think Fabiano was worth what Sevilla were asking. He's had a good 18 months, but before that? And he's 29.

This is one of the times when I actually agree with Milan being tight with the money.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Aug 19 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

I think the club is very stingy now. I can't remember the last time we really bought a top player for a fair price. We tend to just hope a good player has a bad season or two and wait for the club to sell him, we never tend to buy players at the top of their game. Was Rui the last one?

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Aug 19 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #5

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

Rui and Nesta came in the same window for 35 (rui) and 30 (nesta) respectively. Rui remains the most expensive player we've bought.

Then again, we haven't bought a whole lot of big name players since that time.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Aug 19 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 19 2009, 01:08 PM) *
Then again, we haven't bought a whole lot of big name players since that time.

Zambrotta and Ronaldinho are fairly big names, you could even throw KJH in there. But rather compete for them when they are hot property, we just seem to wait until they are cast off by a club and sign them cheap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 19 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #7

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 19 2009, 01:05 PM) *
I personally don't think Fabiano was worth what Sevilla were asking. He's had a good 18 months, but before that?

He's had more than a good 18 months tbh. He's actually been brilliant since 2001.

And he's 29.

28 I think, but I do accept he's not a teenager. But Brazilians rarely do badly in Serie A, and we'd have been getting an experienced world class striker who's had experience of a higher level (sadly La Liga is better than Serie A right now) and done very well in it.

This is one of the times when I actually agree with Milan being tight with the money.

This is one of those times you and I disagree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Dzeko
post Aug 19 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #8

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 19 2009, 02:17 PM) *
He's had more than a good 18 months tbh. He's actually been brilliant since 2001.

28 I think, but I do accept he's not a teenager. But Brazilians rarely do badly in Serie A, and we'd have been getting an experienced world class striker who's had experience of a higher level (sadly La Liga is better than Serie A right now) and done very well in it.

This is one of those times you and I disagree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well i think that we did werry well, Fabiano is proven striker but Oliveira was too and we pay him €17.5million and we didn't see nothing. I think that KJH was right choice for this year not to mention that we allredy sign Dzeko for 20 Mil € and he is coming next season so Fabiano would be just backup for this 2 strikers. That's why we were willing to pay onlly 8 Mil € for him...

We had a lot of bad expirience with old used players here is the list :

1. Ricardo Oliveira : €17.5million Betis 46 app (26 Goals) Milan 26 app (3 Goals)
2. Rivaldo : Free transfered Barcelona 156 app (86 Goals) Milan 22app (5 Goals)
3. Redondo : £11m move Real Madrid 165app (6 Goals) Milan 16app (0 Goals)
4. Jose Mari : 22 Mil € Atletico Madrid 84app (20 Goals) Milan 52app (5 Goals)
5. Javi Moreno : 16 Mil € Alaves 71app (29 Goals) Milan 16app (2 Goals)
6. Luis Fabiano Sevilla 105app ( 47Goals) so when u use math he would score no more then 7 Gols for Milan XD

Still think that Fabiano would be good for us?, not to mention that Holand players allways played well in Italy and that KJH is onlly 26 whille fabiano will get 30 this year...

This post has been edited by Dzeko: Aug 19 2009, 03:46 PM

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Aug 20 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #9

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (Dzeko @ Aug 19 2009, 08:45 AM) *
Well i think that we did werry well, Fabiano is proven striker but Oliveira was too and we pay him €17.5million and we didn't see nothing. I think that KJH was right choice for this year not to mention that we allredy sign Dzeko for 20 Mil € and he is coming next season so Fabiano would be just backup for this 2 strikers. That's why we were willing to pay onlly 8 Mil € for him...

We had a lot of bad expirience with old used players here is the list :

1. Ricardo Oliveira : €17.5million Betis 46 app (26 Goals) Milan 26 app (3 Goals)
2. Rivaldo : Free transfered Barcelona 156 app (86 Goals) Milan 22app (5 Goals)
3. Redondo : £11m move Real Madrid 165app (6 Goals) Milan 16app (0 Goals)
4. Jose Mari : 22 Mil € Atletico Madrid 84app (20 Goals) Milan 52app (5 Goals)
5. Javi Moreno : 16 Mil € Alaves 71app (29 Goals) Milan 16app (2 Goals)
6. Luis Fabiano Sevilla 105app ( 47Goals) so when u use math he would score no more then 7 Gols for Milan XD

Still think that Fabiano would be good for us?, not to mention that Holand players allways played well in Italy and that KJH is onlly 26 whille fabiano will get 30 this year...

exactly. I think as good as fabiano is by the time he'll take to adjust to serie A he will be 30 and then he will have a max 2-3 seasons before calling it quits.

Huntelaar has 6-7 seasons with us and is the better investment.

Also we have dzeko coming next year so i'm not too sad in the striker department. Hopefully either inzaghi will retire or borriello will be shipped off to outerspace.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 7 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #10

Allievi Nazionali

Do people still doubt that Fabiano would have been a truly wonderful signing?

And that he is worth the money we refused to pay?

+Quote Post

Dracoris
post Sep 7 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,716

I'm happier with the hunter for 15m than Fab for 18m. Regardless though, I would've welcomed either.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 7 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #12

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Dracoris @ Sep 7 2009, 09:19 PM) *
I'm happier with the hunter for 15m than Fab for 18m. Regardless though, I would've welcomed either.

Fair reply (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I hope Hunter will be a gem for us, but I've seen more of Fabiano and I know what he could have offered us, and I think he'd have been fab, pun intended.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Sep 7 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #13

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 7 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Do people still doubt that Fabiano would have been a truly wonderful signing?

And that he is worth the money we refused to pay?

He flourishes in the Brasilian NT because they play to his strength, he's sarrounded by players that can create a chance for him out of nothing. Do you think he'd be as good with the stale football Milan play?

No Fabiano was not worth the money Sevilla were asking for he's about to turn 29, we'd barely get 3 good years out of him if that.

I'm happy we went for Klaas, he's our next Pippo, Boriello is a target man, he might not score us 20 goals a season but he plays very well with his back to goal. Plus everyone is pouncing on him for not scoring in pre-season or his first 2 official matches, but give the guy a break, I'm not his biggest fan, infact I was so opposed to his transfers I couldn't even begin to tell you. But the guy is coming off an injury that kept him out for an entire season, he needs time to regain his form, if you look back to the games he did play last season before the injury you can see that he was playing great, scored goals, really showed great energy. We need to give him some time. And the games in pre-season don't really count as that was one of the worst pre-seasons I've ever seen Milan play and no one really did anything note worthy in it.

+Quote Post

pacang
post Sep 8 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #14

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 2,171

QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 8 2009, 05:29 AM) *
He flourishes in the Brasilian NT because they play to his strength, he's sarrounded by players that can create a chance for him out of nothing. Do you think he'd be as good with the stale football Milan play?

you'll score a lot of goals when you're playing in front of Kaka, Robinho and not to mention Melo..

and guys, where's the article about Dzeko comin' in next year?

This post has been edited by pacang: Sep 8 2009, 11:02 AM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Sep 8 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Prima Squadra

I think Fabiano is still a bit under-rated, but given the history of South American players going from Spain to italy, his age and the money we got KJH for, he wasn't the best option. I'm pleased with Huntelaar and the good price was got him for.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:43 PM