Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World Cup 2014

kurtsimonw
post Jul 4 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #1336

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

The set piece defending I've seen at this World Cup wouldn't be acceptable at Sunday League level.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Jack Bauer
post Jul 4 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #1337

Allievi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,705

Carlos Sanchez fucked up.

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jul 4 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #1338

Berretti
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 90

How good is Thiago Silva, FFS... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 4 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #1339

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ Jul 4 2014, 10:13 PM) *
Carlos Sanchez fucked up.

Most of them did. About 4 players went for the header, none of them got it. Then Sanchez completely left his man. It's been a fun tournament to watch, but some defending has been so embarrassing.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jul 4 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #1340

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jul 5 2014, 02:55 AM) *
How good is Thiago Silva, FFS...

Forget his defending, his captaincy has been top notch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Best captain in the tournament by far.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jul 4 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #1341

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jul 4 2014, 11:01 PM) *
Or rather his team limped into it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/innocent.gif) Germany in semifinals was almost always guaranteed in the past, only this team reached the stage with far less conviction than the ones from the past. But maybe that is how modern football is for the most part, keep the bases strong, defend, defend, defend and score a goal or two.

Only a few teams play with complete flow and finesse. Even Brazil have been play a constrained game for years now. It all started with Dunga in the previous World Cup.

I think you're taking all of this way too sentimental.

Sure, I'd like to see the Germany of Hässler and Möller any day, or a Italy of Rossi and Superpippo, not Balotelli. But that's how it goes. I think coaches like Dunga and Löw have less to do with that then we all credit them.

Brazil played "unattractive" even before Dunga came in. In fact, the Brazil of 2002 wasn't that perfect to begin with. Only star players like Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho provided the extra bit of attractive and intelligent football. You had also the unbelievable cool and always smiling kind of guys like Carlos and Cafu.

But International football is like that. The Brazil of today simply has no Ronaldo with his finish and game feel, and no Cafu with his eternal smile and endurance. You cannot grow such players, they happen, and you've gotta appreciate them fully as long as they're playing.

Now Germany. I don't think you're being fair with them. Germany used to play terrific football with Löw; they trashed teams like Argentina or England, passed with ease and played fast, straight and strong football. But somehow they've been eliminated when it mattered most: semifinals and finals. I think it's fair that Löw now turned the page and is trying to apply a more efficient and intelligent approach. I cannot criticize him for that, because all German supporters have been constantly saying: "we're fed with the good displays, we want silverware".

Allover, the Mourinhoization of football brought in smarter defensive play. Look at the teams we've seen by now. Only Colombia play like the last Mohican - attractive and with flow. Holland switched to a more rational defensive approach with van Marwijk and especially van Gaal. Germany play more efficient, France as well.

In the end, you've gotta accept what you have. Modern football is bringing all national sides closer together. The difference in quality and tactical awareness is rapidly shrinking. Teams like Argentina, Germany, Holland or Brazil do not have their "national style" of play anymore, or at least the style isn't that evident.

But history can also fool us. We remember the legendary and classic displays, but use to forget matches like Brazil-Turkey (2002), Italy - Nigeria (1994), France - South Africa (1998) and many many others, that don't fit into a canon, a collective memory that suggests only selective parts of the reality.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 4 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #1342

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jul 4 2014, 10:57 PM) *
Forget his defending, his captaincy has been top notch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Best captain in the tournament by far.

Although, I don't like that he was asked to take the 6th Brazil penalty and he refused, asked to put to the bottom of the order and went to sit on his own.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jul 4 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #1343

Berretti

Agree with most of what you said, Fillipo, and actually that is not far from my opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The one I expressed in my second post on this topic. Fact remains that the game has changed, change too much. Lay it on the European league dominance or the fact that most big players (and coaches) ply their trade over there.

And no, I do not need to see beautiful football, just positive, free flowing one. Do agree that there were several cagey matches in previous tournaments, as there were a few that were decided on flair alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Brazil of 2002 was mostly due to the three upfront (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho), and not many would deny that.

In this Columbia match, a Brazil player was in the box, open, towards the end of the second half, and could not mount a shot. Ronaldo in that position, was almost a guaranteed goal. But my problem is that even the players have accustomed to this new brand of football, go back a decade, and you still had that individual show of class.

For the real beautiful game, one that was pleasing to the eyes, you will have to go to the Total Football brand of the Dutch (that was ruined by Germany in 1974), and the Samba of Brazil (that came to an end because of Italy in 1982). Both styles were killed off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cry.gif) Unlike the Barcelona game of today that still lingers on without a soul.

Sure, Brazil and Netherlands had a part to play in all that too, but those were the two days where F came after G, flair came second to grit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) That is part of the reason why I don't support Italy (though it is in my top 5, maybe 3), and don't want anything to do with the military efficiency of Germany.

Though I do understand both teams are the powerhouse of football, always have been. The German coach is another matter entirely, he may have won against big teams in the past, but then again, one can say the team also had a part in that. Where he mattered he faltered, wherever he mattered. Semifinal, final, you name it.

That is the major reason, in my opinion, why he still has this job. Some other one probably could have won something by now. He may yet, in the coming weeks, but he has done nothing to impress me. I rarely appreciate someone that is good enough, and rests on his laurels, making no effort to improve. Speaking in general sense.

But great post, overall, and quite in line with what I believe. Sentimentalities and all. That was my football, this one is somebody else's, and I have no problems with that at all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Other than the fact that I will always prefer that, and celebrate those rare matches that provide glimpses or carbon copies of those years.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 4 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #1344

Prima Squadra

this ref has been embarrassing.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 4 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #1345

Prima Squadra

David Luis, wow!

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jul 4 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #1346

Berretti

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 5 2014, 03:15 AM) *
Although, I don't like that he was asked to take the 6th Brazil penalty and he refused, asked to put to the bottom of the order and went to sit on his own.

I can understand that, but then again, I can also understand someone not in the zone, asking to refuse to take one of the first few. Logical decision, even if you bring the captaincy bit into it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I probably would not take one, if I feel there are better kickers than me. You have to lead from the front, and that, I believe is part of the lead.

Because a captain missing, that too early on, might put the rest of the team down. In fact, now that you mentioned it, I do not have a problem with any player asking not to be put on the list. Logics, Kurt, logics. There are those that practice taking penalties hard, and there are those that just aren't very good at it.

+Quote Post

Jack Bauer
post Jul 4 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #1347

Allievi Regionali B

Game over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Really wanted Colombia to beat them.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jul 4 2014, 10:33 PM
Post #1348

Berretti

I guess Germany can now think about a final appearance, now that Silva is out of the semifinal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Fudging FIFA, and their fudging rules. Idiots running riot, is what I say.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 4 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #1349

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jul 4 2014, 11:33 PM) *
I guess Germany can now think about a final appearance, now that Silva is out of the semifinal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Fudging FIFA, and their fudging rules. Idiots running riot, is what I say.

Do they not reset the cards at all? If not that's so dumb. You can be booked in the first game, pick up an unfair yellow in the SF and miss the Final?

+Quote Post

Jack Bauer
post Jul 4 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #1350

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jul 5 2014, 01:33 AM) *

That's the angriest acid post ever (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

108 Pages V  « < 88 89 90 91 92 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:23 PM