Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EL - Matchday 1 - Austria Wien - Milan, Date: 14/09/17 Time: 19:00 CET

d'Arc.LP
post Sep 14 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #31

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,786

Vincenzo Montella believes a setback “did us good,” as Milan flattened Austria Vienna 5-1. “The hat-trick will boost Andre Silva’s confidence.”

The Rossoneri have won all five of their Europa League games this season, including the preliminary rounds, but this was their first match since the 4-1 Serie A loss at the Olimpico.

“Sunday’s defeat to Lazio was weighing on us, but today I liked the spirit and interpretation of the game,” Montella told Sky Sport Italia.

“The side played with pace, got the result under lock and key by half-time, then we saw the willingness to suffer and be solid. There was a slight drop in concentration levels after the restart, so we need to work on that, but we are happy with this victory.”

This was the first really successful test for the 3-5-2 formation, though Hakan Calhanoglu had a free role.

“We built this squad thinking of a three-man defence, but had to wait until Alessio Romagnoli was fully recovered.”

While Calhanoglu was inspirational, Andre Silva was the star of the show with a hat-trick.

“Silva is hungry and he scores goals. Today he was able to make the most of his characteristics, attacking the space. He seemed much better than in other games and this will really boost his confidence. He needed that.

“Calhanoglu had a great performance, he played vertical passes and set up goals for his teammates. We worked on the strikers pressing the opposition, and were more determined tonight.

“I think the defeat to Lazio did us good and we’ve got to feed this determination throughout the campaign.

“In other matches this season, we didn’t finish the job and therefore left the door open to our opponents. Tonight we changed that. It’s important to focus on mental strength and concentration throughout a game.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 14 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #32

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

I sure as hell hope Montella won't play Borini and Cutrone in the next league game.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 15 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #33

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ Sep 14 2017, 10:21 PM) *

“We built this squad thinking of a three-man defence, but had to wait until Alessio Romagnoli was fully recovered.”

Lie.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 15 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #34

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 14 2017, 10:18 PM) *
Vienna were just poor on every level.

Which is why this is yet another comfy win that's ultimately meaningless.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 15 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 15 2017, 11:23 AM) *
Lie.

Agreed. He just saw his system fall apart against Lazio and had to succumb to the pressure of playing with a 3-man defense.

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 15 2017, 11:23 AM) *
Which is why this is yet another comfy win that's ultimately meaningless.

The win, perhaps, but at least we won't have to witness to that ugly 4-3-3 with Calabria, Borini and Cutrone anymore.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 15 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #36

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 15 2017, 11:49 AM) *
Agreed. He just saw his system fall apart against Lazio and had to succumb to the pressure of playing with a 3-man defense.

It was comical - watching Abate cover Bonucci in the way a full back should when a CB is bypassed is the way to do it. Calabria was away in Hawaii when our backline was being attacked v Lazio.

The win, perhaps, but at least we won't have to witness to that ugly 4-3-3 with Calabria, Borini and Cutrone anymore.

Not sure about that - he could have selected Abate for Lazio but inexplicably went with the younger shiter version. And nothing wrong with Cutrone! Are you really dissing arguably our joint best player this season?! Agreed on Borini - I was more generous with him than the rest but he offers nothing in that position. Or any, really.

But yes, no more 4-3-3. We hope.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 15 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 15 2017, 02:47 PM) *
It was comical - watching Abate cover Bonucci in the way a full back should when a CB is bypassed is the way to do it. Calabria was away in Hawaii when our backline was being attacked v Lazio.

Not sure about that - he could have selected Abate for Lazio but inexplicably went with the younger shiter version. And nothing wrong with Cutrone! Are you really dissing arguably our joint best player this season?! Agreed on Borini - I was more generous with him than the rest but he offers nothing in that position. Or any, really.

But yes, no more 4-3-3. We hope.

Cutrone really offers nothing to our game. He's just a poacher who scores the easy goals. Silva and Kalinic are way better all-around strikers who contribute to much more.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post Sep 15 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #38

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,075

So what was the general opinion on Abate?

It appears we may be seeing quite a lot of him for the next few months.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 15 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Sep 15 2017, 03:23 PM) *
So what was the general opinion on Abate?

It appears we may be seeing quite a lot of him for the next few months.

Abate is good, always has been. But for RWB Conti is better. Bummer about his injury.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 15 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #40

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 15 2017, 03:22 PM) *
Cutrone really offers nothing to our game. He's just a poacher who scores the easy goals. Silva and Kalinic are way better all-around strikers who contribute to much more.

I'm the one who gets absolutely panned around here for 'judging' after one game. Seems I'm not the only one guilty of it.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 15 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #41

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 15 2017, 04:11 PM) *
Abate is good, always has been. But for RWB Conti is younger. Bummer about his injury.

Fixed that for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 15 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 15 2017, 06:23 PM) *
I'm the one who gets absolutely panned around here for 'judging' after one game. Seems I'm not the only one guilty of it.

You think Cutrone has an ounce of the technique that Silva or even Kalinic posses?

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 15 2017, 06:23 PM) *
Fixed that for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You don't think Conti is a better RWB than Abate?

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 15 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #43

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 15 2017, 08:54 PM) *
You think Cutrone has an ounce of the technique that Silva or even Kalinic posses?

I think your dismissal of him after the start he's made is disappointing.

You don't think Conti is a better RWB than Abate?

I think claiming he is after a mere few appearances is insulting to Abate.

You seem eager to destroy anyone we didn't sign this summer.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 15 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 15 2017, 09:44 PM) *
I think your dismissal of him after the start he's made is disappointing.

He had a fantastic start, but I'm no stats man. I look at what a player contributes to the overall play. Cutrone's scoring rate has been great given he's just a Primavera kid, but you can't deny that he thrives on service. When there's no service, as it happened against Lazio, he practically becomes a non-player.

Kalinic and Silva have far superior technique, they are better at handling the ball and thus get more involved with the rest of the team. Hence why I prefer them over Cutrone.

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 15 2017, 09:44 PM) *
I think claiming he is after a mere few appearances is insulting to Abate.

You seem eager to destroy anyone we didn't sign this summer.

Maybe you're not aware of the fact that I'm the biggest Abate fan here. But I know his limitations, especially when it comes to crossing, something Conti is really good at. Hence why I said he's the better RWB. I never said he's the better player overall, because I think Abate is much better defensively.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 16 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #45

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 15 2017, 11:15 PM) *
He had a fantastic start, but I'm no stats man. I look at what a player contributes to the overall play. Cutrone's scoring rate has been great given he's just a Primavera kid, but you can't deny that he thrives on service. When there's no service, as it happened against Lazio, he practically becomes a non-player.

Kalinic and Silva have far superior technique, they are better at handling the ball and thus get more involved with the rest of the team. Hence why I prefer them over Cutrone.

If we're going with a 3-5-2 we're looking at any two of Kalinic, Cutrone, Silva and Suso up front. It's not quite MSN but it's not bad and I don't really want to dismiss any of these players for any reason.

I do find it intriguing you don't really want to be positive about his scoring rate; indeed, you're using the same argument against him as many did against Bacca. Are Milan fans against Inzaghi-style players now?

Maybe you're not aware of the fact that I'm the biggest Abate fan here.

*raises hand*

But I know his limitations, especially when it comes to crossing, something Conti is really good at. Hence why I said he's the better RWB. I never said he's the better player overall, because I think Abate is much better defensively.

To be a right wing back requires quality in both attack and defence. In truth it is barely any different to RB nowadays. So if you think one is better at defending and one is better at attacking then I'm a little confused as to why you would have a preference at all. For me I think both rotate nicely and both are fine options to have, game dependent.

And I'm yet to see Conti produce a good cross so I'll bow to your knowledge of him there.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:32 PM