2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serie A Taster: Are Milan Really Ready?

redbabies
post Aug 22 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #1

'the Duck'

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 144

With the new Serie A season around the corner, Goal.com looks at what clubs have been up to, and how they are shaping up for 38 rounds of action. In this part, we consider AC Milan, who go into this season with essentially the same squad from last season...

That AC Milan had a successful season last year, there are no questions about. However, just as certain is the fact that there were questions aplenty about this squad, questions which were pertinently raised when the Rossoneri stood exposed last season.

A fabulous Champions League triumph has sent ripples of joy through everyone connected with the club, but also glossed over some rather big deficiencies. Most Milan fans, while confident their veterans will come good again, have a worry deep down that injuries and fatigue could make for a very worrying season.

Pato came along, but will not be available until January. Then, after Carlo Ancelotti vehemently denying that any more signings were needed, Emerson has finally been drafted in to add much needed cover to the midfield.

However, the biggest concern remains, and that is the rather soft defence.

Why? AC Milan will play a total of 65 games during the season if they make it to the final of all the tournaments they are playing in, and a bare minimum of 55. Just how many of them will Paolo Maldini feature in? 25? The veteran skipper is unlikely to play two games a week when he makes his comeback, and there is a good chance that aches and niggles will cost him a few weekends too.

And what about Alessandro Nesta? Despite his international retirement, there is absolutely no guarantee of him being able to feature in anything more than 30-35 games. That makes 55-60, just about covering one of the two centre-half positions.

They have likes of Simic, Kaladze and Bonera for cover, but when you see the kind of defenders that moved this summer - Chivu and Milito to name but two - it is almost flabbergasting to grasp that the Rossoneri were never even in the market.

Assume that seven months from now, Milan are involved in two Champions League ties against Chelsea, punctuated by domestic clashes against Inter and Palermo. Crunch European games, make-or-break domestic ties - which of them would you rest Maldini and Nesta for?

Clearly, it's a problem. Yet for some reason, Milan still choose to worry about the number of strikers they have!

Many agree that the way Milan played in the Champions League was more than perfect; the 4-4-1-1 formation worked so well for them, and it helped them defeat Europe’s best teams and claim European glory. Given as they will probably play just the one in front of Kaka again, they already have options. Inzaghi is a great number two for Ronaldo, and Gilardino a number three of luxury.

If they have to worry about any position, they might as well worry about Kaka's substitutes, having missed the opportunity to ease Gourcuff into the first team last season. There are irreplaceable players in every team, but surely at a club as big as Milan, there has to be a back-up plan. Pato is great, but it is probably a little to early to expect him to replace Kaka.

It now seems more likely that Carlo will play two forwards, with Seedorf in a roaming role behind them, should the Brazilian playmaker pick up an injury. Not a bad solution, but Milan will hope that does not happen before a big game.

A pattern seems to be emerging: Milan will have to hope for too many things going their way. You always need some luck, but there are misfortunes you can plan for. Chelsea, Barcelona and Inter are some of the teams who have their backs covered. With a couple of "smart" signings, Milan could have been among them.

Milan have a fabulous team, but a squad that is not strong enough for a club of their stature. In far too many positions, the fans will have to pray they get lucky and avoid injuries. If they don't, questions will be asked of why the Rossoneri have been the quietest of the big clubs in the European transfer market. But if they do, this will be another glorious season.

Notwithstanding which way it goes, the fact remains that it is a risk they could have done without!

Look at their options at full-back: Oddo, Cafu, Jankulovski, Serginho, Kaladze. That is the way it is done! That is what you call depth, depth sufficient for five competitions. That is the way it needs to be all over the pitch. Andrea Barzagli and Fernando Meira are still very much available for around 12-15 million euros! Better late than never!

Abhishek Thakur

-----------
goal.com
-----------

This post has been edited by redbabies: Aug 22 2007, 11:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Aug 22 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #2

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

I do believe we can do something with the squad we already have. but a club sometimes need new players, new faces, new motivations, variation... I don't really see any of those.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Aug 23 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #3

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

Hmm...I still want one left back. I presume Bonera has got more in the kitty than waht we saw, and hence we are not chasing centre backs.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Aug 23 2007, 06:11 AM
Post #4

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

Milan are the most successful club going into this season. Madrid ? (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I don't think so ... Milan should end this season with at least two titles; the CWC and the CL (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

sansiro1708
post Aug 23 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #5

Esordienti B 96

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,321

biatch let me tell u something WE ALLWAYS READY!
INSIEME CON IL DIAVOLO IN CORPO!!!

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Aug 23 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

^^^Crudely, but accurately put. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

javierk128
post Aug 25 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #7

Pulcini 97

Member No.: 522

i really see some things wrong in this article, first, why we sould tihnk pato as a kakaás replacement, we all know he´s a striker, he´s a ronaldo replacement, and that why ronaldo said he would be his mentor in milan, just as rivaldo and rui costa made kaka. and second they say some things about the injuries.. but remember we ahve the milanlab, the best physical lab in europe in football players.. i think we have nothing to worry about (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Aug 25 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #8

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (javierk128 @ Aug 25 2007, 10:44 AM)
i really see some things wrong in this article, first, why we sould tihnk pato as a kakaás replacement, we all know he´s a striker, he´s a ronaldo replacement, and that why ronaldo said he would be his mentor in milan, just as rivaldo and rui costa made kaka. and second they say some things about the injuries.. but remember we ahve the milanlab, the best physical lab in europe in football players.. i think we have nothing to worry about (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

jefri91
post Aug 25 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #9

"Durgle The Turtle"

Member No.: 3,402

stupid clowns, we are always ready. FORZA MILAN MOTHA F***S

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Aug 25 2007, 11:09 AM
Post #10

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (jefri91 @ Aug 25 2007, 08:33 AM)
stupid clowns, we are always ready. FORZA MILAN MOTHA F***S

Dude, keep the swearing down. You're going to get yourself kicked off.

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Aug 25 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #11

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 25 2007, 04:09 AM)
Dude, keep the swearing down. You're going to get yourself kicked off.

Just like the new season. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

arivanjj
post Aug 25 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #12

7th Heaven

Member No.: 821

^^ random!! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Captain Ambro
post Aug 25 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #13

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 608

What is this guys problem? Too little options in centre defence? Kaladze and Bonera are two great back-ups and I won't be too worried if we have to throw them onto the pitch in a CL semi final. Why should Milan have bought Chivu or Milito? That makes no sense! Buy players for over 15 million euros to have on the bench 'just in case'? I'll tell you, no team would do as good as Milan with their first options in defence injured. Milan have an amazing depth in centre defence, and the fact that this guy lists Kaladze as a full back instead of Favalli just shows how much we should really listen to him...

+Quote Post

bigmacmtl
post Aug 25 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #14

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 2,592

QUOTE (javierk128 @ Aug 25 2007, 02:44 AM)

thats right, i think milan fail to recognize that cuz why are we playing kaka as a forward when he clearly isnt?

+Quote Post

bigmacmtl
post Aug 25 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 2,592

QUOTE (Captain Ambro @ Aug 25 2007, 11:51 AM)
What is this guys problem? Too little options in centre defence? Kaladze and Bonera are two great back-ups and I won't be too worried if we have to throw them onto the pitch in a CL semi final. Why should Milan have bought Chivu or Milito? That makes no sense! Buy players for over 15 million euros to have on the bench 'just in case'? I'll tell you, no team would do as good as Milan with their first options in defence injured. Milan have an amazing depth in centre defence, and the fact that this guy lists Kaladze as a full back instead of Favalli just shows how much we should really listen to him...

ya well as the article brings out maldini and nesta wont be playing more than 30-35 games, so that means kaladze and bonera will have to play nearly half the games. i mean were no longer talking about subs here when they're gonna play nearly as many games as our starters.

This post has been edited by bigmacmtl: Aug 25 2007, 06:21 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:08 AM