post May 2 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

Rino looks to the future
Friday 2 May, 2008

Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso knows that defeat isn’t an option in Sunday’s derby and has discussed the possibility of life after the Rossoneri.

The world champions need to pick up maximum points from now on if they are to remain in the hunt for a Champions League spot next term, but they have their work cut out against an Inter side who can secure the Scudetto with victory.

“Playing in these huge games like Sunday’s derby is the best thing,” Gattuso told Sky Sport Italia. “They are the matches that give you a huge adrenaline boost.

“We certainly can’t lose the derby. It could go either way. They are missing lots of players and we are going to go for it.

“Since December 23, however, Inter have only picked up two more points than us.

“If you look at the records at home and away it’s clear that something didn’t work. And recently we have made ridiculously hard work of the so-called ‘small’ teams.”

The Azzurri star will come up against one of his Italy teammates in Marco Materazzi, who is a close friend.

“I met Marco one evening in a bar in Perugia when I was very young,” Rino explained.

“There was a bouncer causing trouble and he helped me because he was a little older.”

Paolo Maldini is set to retire at the end of the season, leaving the side looking for a new captain.

“It’s only right that Massimo Ambrosini is the next Milan captain and I’ve said that to the directors lots of times,” Gattuso said.

“The captain’s armband should go to a player who has been with the Rossoneri for many years like he has.”

As for Gattuso’s future, many think that he will leave in a summer clearout and he is weighing up his options.

“I would like to have the chance to play in the Premier League because I think that I have the characteristics to play there,” he stressed.

“It is my dream and I have never denied that. When I leave Milan I will only wear the shirt of a foreign side. But Spain would be hard because it isn’t a League that suits the way I play.

“It would certainly be impossible to play for Inter, just as it would be to represent Celtic.”

channel4

... (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

morgoth
post May 2 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,827

In another interview Rino said he didn't want R10 and he prefers Toni. He said Milan have a lot of players with the same characteristics (Kaka, Pato and Seedorf) and it would be useless to have another one. In the other hand, he said that we need someone like Luca Toni.

Maybe this is where all the fuss about his departure came from ...

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post May 2 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #3

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,660

theres alot of bs going on behind the scenes. but in all honesty i would like to see him in epl. He has done a lot of years of service to us and we can at least give him the chance to play in epl for 2 years till he retires. Hes 30.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post May 2 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #4

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

QUOTE (Bluesummers @ May 2 2008, 12:00 PM)
theres alot of bs going on behind the scenes.  but in all honesty i would like to see him in epl.  He has done a lot of years of service to us and we can at least give him the chance to play in epl for 2 years till he retires.  Hes 30.

I don't get this. Why would we want to? Are you assuming that the EPL is an intrinsically better place to play?

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post May 2 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #5

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Tennie @ May 2 2008, 10:07 AM)
I don't get this. Why would we want to? Are you assuming that the EPL is an intrinsically better place to play?

no because he wants to play there. It suits his style better and he played for rangers and liked it. Thats why.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post May 2 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #6

Token Girl
Group Icon

Dude, Rangers is not in the EPL. They're in Scotland. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) So saying we'll let him go to the EPL is not even remotely connected to Rangers. And I don't see anything about the Italian game not suiting his level of play.

Gonna have to disagree rather strongly with your assertions on this one, Bluesummers.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post May 2 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #7

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Tennie @ May 2 2008, 11:12 AM)
Dude, Rangers is not in the EPL. They're in Scotland. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) So saying we'll let him go to the EPL is not even remotely connected to Rangers. And I don't see anything about the Italian game not suiting his level of play.

Gonna have to disagree rather strongly with your assertions on this one, Bluesummers.

LOL! i know rangers is not in the epl, lmfao! I'm saying scottish game and english game are alike. And yes his style of playing fits the "english game" much better than the italian one. In the UK he wouldn't get as many yellow cards as he does in italy. Not saying serie A is any lower its just hes built for epl.

besides wouldn't you want to see gattuso in the premiership? I would. I mean i would rather have him move their than say bayern or to real madrid. Whether we like it or not it looks like hes getting ready to retire very soon and before he does he wants to try out another league.

This post has been edited by Bluesummers: May 2 2008, 06:18 PM

+Quote Post

Tennie
post May 2 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #8

Token Girl
Group Icon

The premiership is the very last place I'd like to see any Azzurri player, even Materazzi. I'd rather see them playing MLS. (Yes, this is me voicing my general dislike for the EPL and contempt for the generally unbearable arrogance from the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, etc.). If Rino wants to go to Madrid or Bayern or the Huns, fine. But I'd be really, really disappointed if he sold out and went ot England.

Plus there's the fact that he's probably the most popular footballer in Italy. When I was there in March, there were 3 different Gattuso commercials on telly in Italy (2 for Vodaphone and 1 for an energy drink sort of like Gatorade). He's absolutely adored in Italy -- and he'd be throwing a lot of that goodwill away if he went to England. Milan would lose too, in the public opinion sphere, for letting Rino go.

So no, I wouldn't ever want to see him playing in England.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post May 2 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Tennie @ May 2 2008, 11:31 AM)
The premiership is the very last place I'd like to see any Azzurri player, even Materazzi. I'd rather see them playing MLS. (Yes, this is me voicing my general dislike for the EPL and contempt for the generally unbearable arrogance from the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, etc.). If Rino wants to go to Madrid or Bayern or the Huns, fine. But I'd be really, really disappointed if he sold out and went ot England.

Plus there's the fact that he's probably the most popular footballer in Italy. When I was there in March, there were 3 different Gattuso commercials on telly in Italy (2 for Vodaphone and 1 for an energy drink sort of like Gatorade). He's absolutely adored in Italy -- and he'd be throwing a lot of that goodwill away if he went to England. Milan would lose too, in the public opinion sphere, for letting Rino go.

So no, I wouldn't ever want to see him playing in England.

i disagree with ya. I would love to see him in epl for sole purpose of good football. But ofcourse i can't change your mind so i will stop. You dislike epl, which is fair.

i'll leave it at agree to disagree.

oh and if you dont believe me ask the g-dog himself:

“It’s a dream that I have always had and I have never hidden that fact. I think I have all the right characteristics to play in the Premier League.”

This post has been edited by Bluesummers: May 2 2008, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post May 2 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

He has the characteristics. If he was ever put for sale buy the club, the biggest clubs in Europe would surround him like vultures .. Ronaldinho who ?! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/innocent.gif)

With that said, I believe he will remain with Milan (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

morgoth
post May 2 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #11

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 3,827

Rino is the soul of Milan and should stay with us, it would be a huge mistake from the management to let him go! With that in mind, Rino said several times that he'd like to end his career in Scotland with the Rangers, not in the EPL. Now here's my question, do you guys think that he's going to end his career at 30 years old? Think again guys (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devilsmiley.gif)

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post May 2 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 558

If he wants to leave then that is fine by me, there are plenty of better alternatives around. I am sick of hearing all this "I would like to play in the prem/scotland" nonsense - just go (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by I_Rossoneri: May 2 2008, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 2 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #13

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

Yeah, don't talk about it. Say you're staying or leave, stop messing around. I think he'll be here for a few more years, and it wouldn't exactly be a disaster if he was to leave. Especially if we do bring in Flamini.

+Quote Post

Warchant
post May 3 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #14

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

Gattuso 'dreams' of Prem switch

AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has put the Premier League's big guns on alert by revealing he dreams of one day playing in England.

The Italian World Cup winner, who spent a short spell in Scotland with Rangers earlier in his career, has endured a tough season in Italy as his side struggle to obtain the fourth and final Champions League spot in Serie A.

Milan lie in fifth place, two points behind Fiorentina with three games remaining.

Gattuso has publicly announced his displeasure at his club's position in the Italian press, and was not shy in discussing his future in an interview with the Corriere dello Sport newspaper.

"I'd like the chance to play in the Premier League," he said. "It's a dream I've always had and have never hidden. I think I have the right characteristics to play in that championship."

For Gattuso, the Champions League semi-finals have perfectly highlighted the similarities in style between Italy and the Premier League.

Three English sides made up the final four teams involved, with two of them - Manchester United and Chelsea - advancing to the final.

While no Italian side progressed beyond the quarter-finals, Gattuso says the Italian style of counter-attacking football known as 'catenaccio' was there for all to see.

"I have to say that what I've seen in these semi-finals has been a very Italian style of play. Plenty of catenaccio," he added.

"When I started playing football everybody said that the Italian style of play was 'anti-football', that teams only thought about defending.

"Instead it turns out that everyone else has copied us."

by RivalsDM

+Quote Post

Habitant
post May 3 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,763

and people want this guy as captain?

pff

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:56 PM