Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

aLbErTo
post Jun 19 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #17

Best substiton player :)

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 1,810

maybe in 10 days there will be draw for the 1st and 2nd preliminary stage...

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 23 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #18

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

The Champions League and European qualifying for the 2010 World Cup undergo changes, announce UEFA.

From 2007-08 the Champions League will also have a seeding system in the draw for the quarter-finals.

This is to prevent teams who are already qualified from resting their players in the final one or two Group games, as that will affect their standing.

Clubs will receive two points for a win and one for a draw in the seeding system drawn up at the end of the first knock-out round.

channel4

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Jun 25 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #19

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,499

Fixing what ain't broken...why the hell are they doing this?

This post has been edited by Locke Lamora: Jun 25 2007, 10:25 AM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 25 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #20

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Jun 25 2007, 09:24 AM)
Fixing what ain't broken...why the hell are they doing this?

To protect the big names. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Do you think UEFA were happy with the Porto vs Monaco final? Not at all.

They're basically trying to fix it to make it almost impossible for sides like that to get through. By seeding it, they keep all the top sides apart, ensuring that they get the easiest possible routes to the QFs/SFs. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 25 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #21

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 25 2007, 12:30 PM)
They're basically trying to fix it to make it almost impossible for sides like that to get through. By seeding it, they keep all the top sides apart, ensuring that they get the easiest possible routes to the QFs/SFs.  (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

That's not entirely true. That final was one in a million... and it will happen again some time. Now by doing this, more "small" clubs will be able to get through the groups stages.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 25 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #22

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 25 2007, 10:15 AM)
That's not entirely true. That final was one in a million... and it will happen again some time. Now by doing this, more "small" clubs will be able to get through the groups stages.

How does that work?

-The 'big' clubs will use their better players more often. - Meaning more wins.
-The 'big' clubs will win more games. - The 'small' clubs will lose more.

With the bigger teams almost being 'told' they have to put out a strong team for every game means the lesser sides stand even less chance of getting through. Now they pick up and odd win here and there because the big teams put our weakened sides. That will happen even less now.

UEFA have always done this to protect bigger teams. What happened to the good old knockout competition that was the European Cup?

-They let more than just the Champions of each league and holders enter. - So that if United, Juve and Co. didn't win the league, they could still be in it.
-Added a group stage. - If a big side lost a fluke one off game to a small team, then the small team just defended the second leg and got away with it, the bigger side would be out. Now you get 6 games, you can afford the odd loss now.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Jun 25 2007, 11:36 AM

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 25 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #23

Primavera
Group Icon

It's simple... I'll give you an example... under these rules, Milan would have fielded against Lille a proper squad and they would have to win to secure the best feed possible for the team. That means, Milan would have probably avoided that humiliating defeat inside the San Siro and Lille would have been left out of the next round, letting AEK through...

Lille>>>>AEK anyway, but similar things have happened with other teams... I remember Milan handing the last game to Real in 2003 when they would only get through with the 3 points... that was a passive game... I have no doubt it was a giveaway...

UEFA are trying to get more small team go through the groups stages... what happens after that is another issue but this means more chances for them!

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 25 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #24

Prima Squadra

Nine times out of ten, the group stage would go as follows.

This is an example remember.

Madrid: Played 6 - Won 6. (Beats everyone twice).
Lazio: Played 6 - Won 4. (Lose both ties to Madrid. Win the other 4 games).
Bordeaux: Played 6 - Won 2. (Beat Levski home and away, lose the other 4).
Levski Sofia: Played 6 - Won 0. (Lose all 6 games).

In theory that's what will happen if all teams were to put out their best 11 in all 6 games. Obviously some games will be drew and their may be the odd shock win.

Whereas in previous years Lazio may play a weakened side and Bordeax may snatch some points off them, opening it up for second place. That'll have less chance of happening now because Lazio will be at full strength.

+Quote Post

LaPalma
post Jun 25 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #25

Insert cool title here<--
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,792

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 25 2007, 12:12 PM)
Nine times out of ten, the group stage would go as follows.

This is an example remember.

Madrid: Played 6 - Won 6. (Beats everyone twice).
Lazio: Played 6 - Won 4. (Lose both ties to Madrid. Win the other 4 games).
Bordeaux: Played 6 - Won 2. (Beat Levski home and away, lose the other 4).
Levski Sofia: Played 6 - Won 0. (Lose all 6 games).

In theory that's what will happen if all teams were to put out their best 11 in all 6 games. Obviously some games will be drew and their may be the odd shock win.

Whereas in previous years Lazio may play a weakened side and Bordeax may snatch some points off them, opening it up for second place. That'll have less chance of happening now because Lazio will be at full strength.

Well....I guess if football was as predictable as you say no one would watch it (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

misha
post Jun 25 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #26

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 787

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 25 2007, 01:55 PM)
I remember Milan handing the last game to Real in 2003 when they would only get through with the 3 points... that was a passive game... I have no doubt it was a giveaway...

It was. Half of the first 11 that night were subs and we played loosely.

This post has been edited by mishale: Jun 25 2007, 07:23 PM

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 26 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #27

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jun 25 2007, 05:07 PM)
Well....I guess if football was as predictable as you say no one would watch it (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

@Kurt: It's not like that most of the time, that's for sure. Check how often the big team has to be helped at the very last moment to go through!

+Quote Post

Costacurta
post Jul 8 2007, 03:40 AM
Post #28

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 1,611

I shall begin by discounting Real. Sacking Capello was so dreadful a mistake their incompetence I have just to laugh at. I remian a fan of Capello and in a way glad to see him go from Real as they are less of a threat now.
Chelsea must be gagging to win it. Squad to small last season. Formation questionable.
Manchester Utd will make a big tilt for it. Sir Alex is hell bent on winning that cup again before retiring.
Arsenal no chance. Liverpool can't be lucky again.

Barcelona. Prob got selection issues as they won't know which attackers to play. big egos bound to grate but they have a great shot, especially consdiering good old former Milan man Mr Rijkaard understands the importnce ofdefence and has looked to acquire accordingly lately.

No Dutch or German club have got a hope in hell I'm afraid to say. Frankly this is bad for football in general. The relative demise of the likes of Ajax, PSV, Dortmund and Bayern mean that many struggle to even make it to the group stages, notably Ajax last season.
Lyon just not good enough.

And so Italy.
I know I rubbished our chances this year and we went and bleeding won it, but I don't believe we can meet the challenge of being the first team to retain it. I feel a focus on Serie A wouldn't go a miss, and that means making a good start to the season for once.
Inter, mentally not capable I don't think.

Overall, Man Utd, Chelsea or Barca.

Transfers far from over I know but thats how I think its weighing up atm.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 8 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #29

Prima Squadra

I agree with almost everything you said there, there's just one thing I don't, Inter.

They have serious fire-power and if the Chivu deal goes in their favour, a decent, experienced defense.

As with Costacurta I see no none English/Spanish/Italian side getting close.

United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Milan, Inter, Valencia, Real and Barca will be the quater-finalists (Draw dependant of course). With Inter, Chelsea, United and Barca as the final four. I pick Inter to go all the way. *Prepares for a beating*

+Quote Post

misha
post Jul 8 2007, 06:26 AM
Post #30

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 787

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 8 2007, 05:47 AM)
With Inter, Chelsea, United and Barca as the final four. I pick Inter to go all the way.

If merda wins it, that's how you know the end of the world is coming...

+Quote Post

122 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:27 PM